• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

wiibomb

well, SL9 sent my DS records, the labels still don't show anything, so I suppose they are actually shipping until today.

also received a partial refund of the shipping on one of them because 2 of them shipped on the same package.

I'm less worried now.

JosiahB

well, SL9 sent my DS records, the labels still don't show anything, so I suppose they are actually shipping until today.

also received a partial refund of the shipping on one of them because 2 of them shipped on the same package.

I'm less worried now.

Yeah, mine got a label yesterday, but still haven't been shipped yet. Assuming they're shipping more out today. I also choose the double box option, don't know if that'll make a difference in how long it takes them to ship.

On another note I just got my Thinkgeek versions in the mail. Packaging wasn't that great, the corners of the jackets had varying degrees of damage. Nothing too bad, but if I didn't also buy the SL9 ones I'd probably ask for a replacement. As it is now I've already started listening to DS1 :D. So good.

wiibomb

how is SL9 on the package of their shipments? my record have to make a rather long travel to my country and the boxing of the records actually matter since they can get damaged by the transit.

I received my DS1 and 3 from Thinkgeek in the post today, two days from the US to UK with no customs, not bad.

Similar to others, the sleeves and jacket has some damage to them but nothing too bad. I am not sure if I am getting static or if the record is just poor because there is a lot of background noise and crackles/pops, some tracks worse than others. Hopefully it is just static that will go away eventually.

I really like the look of the DS3 vinyl though, it looks fantastic.

JosiahB

how is SL9 on the package of their shipments? my record have to make a rather long travel to my country and the boxing of the records actually matter since they can get damaged by the transit.

This is my first order from them, but since they specialize in records I have a lot of confidence that they will package them well.

I received my DS1 and 3 from Thinkgeek in the post today, two days from the US to UK with no customs, not bad.

Similar to others, the sleeves and jacket has some damage to them but nothing too bad. I am not sure if I am getting static or if the record is just poor because there is a lot of background noise and crackles/pops, some tracks worse than others. Hopefully it is just static that will go away eventually.

I really like the look of the DS3 vinyl though, it looks fantastic.

I think it's mainly static. When I took the first disc off the platter, I heard static pops like I've never heard before on a disc.

And agreed on D3. It's easy the best looking of the three.

crimnos

Fallout 3 was very well packaged, kind of a box within a box situation, with additional backing boards. They're terrible at communication but so far they seem great at fulfillment.

rpbtz

Small "warning" - if they were shipped with UPS then they'll likely send the customs notice afterwards. That's my experience with UPS anyway. I've tried it taking upwards of 14 days from receiving the package to getting the customs notice.

EDIT: I'm not in the UK, though, so maybe the UK branch of UPS handles things differently.

StillEdge

Back from SDCC had Power Rangers and Zelda waiting for me in the mail.
4Ugk7Mz.jpg

JosiahB

And my SL9 DS soundtracks shipped. Will have them Saturday. :D

my goodness... now, that is dedication.

something curious, one of them is using a belt drive, I thought belt drives were always inferior to a direct drive.

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe belt drives are considered to have better sound quality. Direct drives can transfer vibration to the platter and effect sound quality. That's not to say there aren't high end turn tables that are direct drive, but a lot of thought has to be put into the design of the table to ensure the vibrations from the motor are dampened.

rpbtz

According to a reddit post we can expect preorders for the Toejam & Earl: Back In The Groove vinyl release to open around the end of next week.

Next time we're gonna bitch about how poorly our VGM records have been packaged and shipped...

This is exactly how i received my LE of the Stranger Things soundtrack from Amazon today:

st.jpg

st2.jpg

rpbtz

Oh dammit... So, there's a Dark Souls trilogy vinyl box set coming from Bandai Namco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TPRyBkFivU

It matches the original mockups with the number of discs. This was shared by Bandai Namco Europe so there's at least good news for the Europeans who've been holding out on the Spacelab9 copies.

EDIT: Description also says it's a 9LP set making this the largest VGM vinyl box set to date. Limited to 2000 copies.

EDIT 2: Bandai Namco says on Twitter that this will be for EMEA countries only.

Auctopus

I'm happy with just DS1, I thought besides Majula and maybe a few boss themes on DS3, the other soundtracks are a little forgettable. Nice box though.

Speaking of which, has anyone received a dispatch confirmation from think-geek yet?

Dan-o

I'm by no means an expert, but I believe belt drives are considered to have better sound quality. Direct drives can transfer vibration to the platter and effect sound quality. That's not to say there aren't high end turn tables that are direct drive, but a lot of thought has to be put into the design of the table to ensure the vibrations from the motor are dampened.
That's my understanding as well.

Next time we're gonna bitch about how poorly our VGM records have been packaged and shipped...

This is exactly how i received my LE of the Stranger Things soundtrack from Amazon today:

st.jpg

st2.jpg
The fuck? Wow.

As far as my experience goes, belt drives are heavily subjected to wow and flutter. Had several high end belt drive players and in the end i always ended up with minor pitch "wobbles", especially noticable with high strings and/or pianos.

Great record to test this with is Lou Reed's Transformer at the end of "Perfect Day".

crimnos

st.jpg

st2.jpg

Amazon are the worst at shipping vinyl. I only shop from them if the price is right or I'm desperate. I've had so many returns.

wiibomb

Oh dammit... So, there's a Dark Souls trilogy vinyl box set coming from Bandai Namco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TPRyBkFivU

It matches the original mockups with the number of discs. This was shared by Bandai Namco Europe so there's at least good news for the Europeans who've been holding out on the Spacelab9 copies.

EDIT: Description also says it's a 9LP set making this the largest VGM vinyl box set to date. Limited to 2000 copies.

Wait, so only europe, middle east and africa would be getting this?

That means that america had its chance only with SL9? Kind of weird. And even weirder they decided to go with 2 LP intead of the extended OST.

rpbtz

Wait, so only europe, middle east and africa would be getting this?

That means that america had its chance only with SL9? Kind of weird. And even weirder they decided to go with 2 LP intead of the extended OST.

It'll likely be sold from the Bandai Namco EU store and only ship to countries in those regions.

The official Dark Souls Twitter said that they cannot ship to the US for "logistic reasons", which I assume is legalese for them not being allowed to sell these in the US since Spacelab9 got a license for that (and vice versa). EDIT: Although I can't say why SL9 can ship to the EU if Bamco can't ship to US.

crimnos

That's really shitty to hear. The few times I've used them they've seemed to utilize a special shipping sleeve specially made for LPs.

I've had those too, but it's a total crap shoot if I get that. Worst was when they packaged a limited record with a heavy book with absolutely no protection. The vinyl itself somehow survived but the sleeve was completely mangled.

IronRinn

I've had those too, but it's a total crap shoot if I get that. Worst was when they packaged a limited record with a heavy book with absolutely no protection. The vinyl itself somehow survived but the sleeve was completely mangled.
Yeah, Amazon is pretty bad. Turntable Lab has them ship some of their stuff and I dread it.

Dammit.
What's the best UK-US forwarding service?

RaidenZR

Wow. What a bunch of bullshit.

i bought a new Audio Technica turntable and threw in a copy of Yuzo Koshiro's "The Reven of Shinobi" LP. they both arrived in the same package so it became the first record i played on the new system.

it sounds incredible! this is the first new videogame soundtrack LP i have bought and i am very impressed. the sound is wonderful, very crisp, very full. it easily sounds better than any emulator i've heard. i don't have original Genesis hardware otherwise i would A/B it.

anyways consider me really impressed with the DATA line of vg vinyl. i may have to throw down on Streets of Rage 2...

i bought a new Audio Technica turntable and threw in a copy of Yuzo Koshiro's "The Reven of Shinobi" LP. they both arrived in the same package so it became the first record i played on the new system.

it sounds incredible! this is the first new videogame soundtrack LP i have bought and i am very impressed. the sound is wonderful, very crisp, very full. it easily sounds better than any emulator i've heard. i don't have original Genesis hardware otherwise i would A/B it.

anyways consider me really impressed with the DATA line of vg vinyl. i may have to throw down on Streets of Rage 2...

Welcome aboard!

wonderpug

Neo Member
That's really shitty to hear. The few times I've used [Amazon] they've seemed to utilize a special shipping sleeve specially made for LPs.

Every record I've ordered from Amazon has come in the special sleeve, but unfortunately they also get baked in a 200 degree oven for a few days and arrive very warped. I'm not going to try ordering from them again until the winter, but even then I'm afraid the problem might stem from the records getting stored on the hot upper shelves of an Amazon warehouse. I think my closest distribution points are from Arizona and Las Vegas.

rpbtz

I have the feeling this might appear on the US bandai store

The official Dark Souls twitter said it will not be available in the US for "logistic reasons".

Also Kotaku reports that the box will be £109. That's less than I would've thought for a 9LP set: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/07/27/...-the-dark-souls-trilogy-soundtrack-on-its-way

They also say that there's 5000 copies, while the official youtube video description said 2000. Don't know which is correct.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
The official Dark Souls twitter said it will not be available in the US for "logistic reasons".

Also Kotaku reports that the box will be £109. That's less than I would've thought for a 9LP set: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/07/27/...-the-dark-souls-trilogy-soundtrack-on-its-way

They also say that there's 5000 copies, while the official youtube video description said 2000. Don't know which is correct.

I was wondering how much that beast would cost!! 109 actually sounds like a pretty decent deal :) boo that it's not confirmed for the US yet :(

Spwn

That only shows 8 LPs, even though the announcement clearly says 9, and the original teaser art we saw showed 9.

Both the teaser and the trailer here are mock-ups, but if they now announced the box to have 8 discs, then it's 8 discs. I wouldn't be surprised if the plans changed after the first mock up image was printed.

Good to hear the boxset is reasonably priced, although it's not for me. For reference, Porcupine Tree's 8lp box sets have been around £90.

wiibomb

In the tweet replies they said that It will be available for EU, Afrika and Middle east. No NA. They advised to get Thinkgeek edition instead.

That only shows 8 LPs, even though the announcement clearly says 9, and the original teaser art we saw showed 9.

Definitely not, according to them. Also, in one of their replies on Twitter, they said Australia is included.
https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/890560052993679361

I mean, of course, they won't spill out the beans before it's time. They are not able to talk about other regions, only theirs.

I mean this might be announced for their own release on US store later on.

Chalk this one up to messaging that needs to be worked on. My SL9's arrived yesterday, and my TG ones are set to arrive soon. DS is really the only album set that I'll double dip on, but triple dipping...man...

The price you pay for this stuff is high, I guess.

1. I would be so fucking mad

2. I did not even know this existed. Shit.
1. I was too, gonna return this and will get a replacement. Hopefully with better packaging.

2. It's a great LE, you really gotta check it out, def worth it! It's still out there for a reasonable price.

Greyvvolf

Fuck I need that Hot Fuzz soundtrack. Any idea if Mondo is releasing it online?

I think they will release it online. The one at SDCC was an exclusive color but they usually sell a different version online. They had said on Twitter they will have an announcement about Hot Fuzz soon because people were asking about the vinyl and poster.

Top Bottom