• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME staff told to expect redundancies, as most workers move to zero hours contracts

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It blows my mind that they sell second hand controllers. Who is buying that?

I go in on lunch every now and then and do see some bargains. I picked up Armored Core 6 on the PS5 for fifteen quid.
Really?

That's less than they pay for it and is less than half the price on their website? You could have immediately given it back to them and got some sweets with your profit!

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Game have always been shit and I wished they closed decades ago.

Don't sell me new games, unsealed. "But it hasn't been used". I don't care, I'm paying for a new game that I open myself and touch first. Not you.

Their 2 for £25 were decent though. Some real gems then.

T8SC

Owned by Mike Ashley and inevitably ruined by Mike Ashley, like every other one of his "rescue buys". (Evans, Wiggle, CRC, HoF etc).

No chance the the physical side of GAME survives. They charge £65-70 for new releases vs £55-60 at other online retailers (Hit, Shopto, The Game Collection etc...).
Same with Game Mania in the Netherlands. Ridiculous prices new and used. Trade in is a joke and yet they are opening new shops continuously..

Cyberpunkd

You will get paid just you have no idea how many hours you'll be working per a week
Yes, but this potentially prevents you from taking up other jobs if the hours (that you don't know in advance) will clash. How is this shit legal? Wait a minute...

United Kingdom Uk GIF by GIPHY News

Carry on then.

Last edited:
CEX is a horrible shop full of drug and piss heads selling their stuff bought on benefits. The UK high street is dying fast and is now just full of takeaways, betting shops and restaurants all with the smell of wacky baccy in the air
You missed pound shops, charity shops, vape shops, nail bars, Turkish barbers (with nail bars and Turkish barbers acting as fronts for money laundering) and the multiple empty/ boarded up shops.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You missed pound shops, charity shops, vape shops, nail bars, Turkish barbers (with nail bars and Turkish barbers acting as fronts for money laundering) and the multiple empty/ boarded up shops.

I was slightly obsessed with Vape shops for a while - they are always empty whenever I see one. Cannot be anything but money laundering fronts.

See also: American Sweet shops and the Souvenir shops on Oxford St. The UK's most expensive retail space. Somehow we're supposed to believe the rent is being paid by selling one £5 tea towel with Princess Diana's face on it every tuesday.

Go_Ly_Dow

Shift work but you have no job safety. You could do a few hours work for them and get no work for days.

It's a bad system used to try and drive up job numbers while not really giving jobs if that makes sense?
Yeah for the most part zero hour contracts are awful. Except if you're looking for casual ad-hoc working around some other endeavour and you need more flexibility around choosing your days/hours worked.

Last edited:
Yes, but this potentially prevents you from taking up other jobs if the hours (that you don't know in advance) will clash. How is this shit legal? Wait a minute...

It is not always terrible and I'll tell you now the NHS wouldn't be able to function if not for the use of the staff bank (zero hours contract)

Shut0wen

Carry on then.
Believe it or not 0 hour cobtracts are great if your on benefits and have kids and a girlfriend, if your lonely sad cunt then yeah you use a foodbank

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This has been coming for a long time.

The sad truth is that physical games are dying. The market is now mostly digital and the gap will only get bigger. Unlike film and music, games won't see some kind of physical media nostalgic resurgence either.

There just isn't a future for brick and mortar video game stores.
Nothing to do with Physical Media dying, not Game Physical Media anyway, but Music & Film and the decline in Retail Clothing Stores.
Since the likes of HMV & Virgin Mega Stores disappeared from the high street everything has been on a decline.
Music, Games, Films, Clothes, Electronics have all been replaced by coffee shops and fast food.
if you can't get those things from your local then you buy online which gives you little reason to go to those shopping centres.
Which decreases sales for others stores.
The fact that GAME still remains is shocking in itself.
You'd have to be literally traveling to a shopping centre just to visit GAME.
where as before you'd be doing a bigger shop.

TGO

Carry on then.
You can thank Labour for that.

nush

Since the likes of HMV & Virgin Mega Stores disappeared from the high street everything has been on a decline.

HMV still exist, I can think of three stores I've been into in the last 6 months. Granted they are not busy but they do have the range.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
However, GAME got all shitty when they started opening, ahem, games and selling them as new. I know this doesn't bother some people but its open so technically second hand now.

TGO

HMV still exist, I can think of three stores I've been into in the last 6 months. Granted they are not busy but they do have the range.
Yes and I fully support them, they've been doing good lately but was none existed during the 10's.
But honestly think this had a big impact on the high street retail market and had a knock on effect on other retailers.
You can blame digital for that, mainly Apple

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nothing to do with Physical Media dying, not Game Physical Media anyway, but Music & Film and the decline in Retail Clothing Stores.
Music, Games, Films, Clothes, Electronics have all been replaced by coffee shops and fast food.
if you can't get those things from your local then you buy online which gives you little reason to go to those shopping centres.
Which decreases sales for others stores.
The fact that GAME still remains is shocking in itself.
You'd have to be literally traveling to a shopping centre just to visit GAME.
where as before you'd be doing a bigger shop.

HMV is still around. I went into my local a few days ago and picked up the Last Samurai on Blu Ray.

I'm not sure where you are in the UK, but clothes stores are fine where I live.

In terms of physical media with music CD, vinyl and now even cassette tapes are selling well. Not as much as in their prime, but still well considering we live in a world of Spotify. Same with films. People are still buying films on disc and studios are still releasing them.

Games are a little different. A lot of games releasing on disc now don't actually have the game on the disc. Instead, it's a code a few MB in size that just downloads a digital copy. You then have a lot of publishers just completely ignoring physical media and releasing their games digital only, such as Alan Wake 2 or the console version of Planet Zoo. There is a high chance the next generation of consoles don't have a disc drive, so no physical releases at all.

With more people moving to digital and publishers not releasing physical discs, what hope is there for a physical Game store?

TGO

HMV is still around. I went into my local a few days ago and picked up the Last Samurai on Blu Ray.

I'm not sure where you are in the UK, but clothes stores are fine where I live.

In terms of physical media with music CD, vinyl and now even cassette tapes are selling well. Not as much as in their prime, but still well considering we live in a world of Spotify. Same with films. People are still buying films on disc and studios are still releasing them.

Games are a little different. A lot of games releasing on disc now don't actually have the game on the disc. Instead, it's a code a few MB in size that just downloads a digital copy. You then have a lot of publishers just completely ignoring physical media and releasing their games digital only, such as Alan Wake 2 or the console version of Planet Zoo. There is a high chance the next generation of consoles don't have a disc drive, so no physical releases at all.

With more people moving to digital and publishers not releasing physical discs, what hope is there for a physical Game store?
I know HMV is still around thanks to it's new owner who believes in Physical Media.
And yes Clothes shops are still kicking but they doing good.
Games have lasted this long in the high street because the market is still there but its Online Shopping that's killing it not Digital Stores

King Dazzar

Sorry to hear about this. But unfortunately not surprised. The guys in the Basingstoke branch have always been pretty sound on the odd occasion I've ventured in. Wishing them all well and something better than an abusive zero hour contract.

Years ago when they were Electronic Boutique, I remember buying Super Mario for the N64 at launch. Then taking it back for a refund (not my bag). And having the store manager going mental at me, when I stated my reason that I was returning it, was due to it just not being my thing. And he went into a massive rant about how I was taking the piss out of their returns policy lol and how I and everyone else was to stop using their shop as a rental. Right nutty bastard. You could tell that all the kids were pushing him over the edge and he was finally braking. He didnt last long.

Their HQ was and probably still is based in Hampshire and has a massive GAME sign on top of the building. And whenever I've seen it, it always looks like it needs a thorough clean. I always thought it was very telling.

nush

I don’t know CEX keep going, their second hand prices have gone crazy

The secret to CEX is to find stuff to trade in, don't straight up pay cash. You get 50% store credit on the price of "Gone crazy" thus it becomes reasonable. I do a round of the charity shops in my town, check the website prices vs charity shop price go straight into CEX and get good deals.

Top Bottom