• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer: Why Guerrilla Needed Horizon Zero Dawn To Be An RPG

Luigiv

Is that scene even possible on the regular PS4? O: In the video you see it much better but the LOD is amazing. It is on a whole other level than other open-world games on console.
Yes. Given that all the game informer footage was recorded months ago, it's almost certainly all OG PS4 footage.

jayu26

I'm noticing a pattern where anyone expressing concern over a Sony first party game gets routinely shouted down only for the games to release and prove that the "concern trolls" had it right all along. Horizon could turn out to be great, but if it's becoming common for people to see videos of this game and think it will have a shallow Ubisoft open world and lite RPG mechanics then maybe there's something there?

Yeah? What were the concerns about Uncharted and Bloodborne and Ratchet and MLB and Infamous and ... that plagued those thread came true?

I'm noticing a pattern where anyone expressing concern over a Sony first party game gets routinely shouted down only for the games to release and prove that the "concern trolls" had it right all along. Horizon could turn out to be great, but if it's becoming common for people to see videos of this game and think it will have a shallow Ubisoft open world and lite RPG mechanics then maybe there's something there?

I think you are pointing to a vocal minority on both counts. If anything it would seem the majority, going by other more extensive threads, are either excited or cautiously optimistic. I have seen very little substantiation of the Assassin Creed comparison, other than people fearing the RPG elements will be limited (this seems likely) and the story will be sparse (no substantiation for this). On the other hand, combat looks like neither game, nor does the world design, visual style, etc.

Weird people are getting shouted down for questioning RPG descriptor. It really doesn't look like one to me either. In fact, in the video, he doesn't really even call it one. He said they used some RPG elements as necessary iirc, which seems pretty apt. Looks very much like Tomb Raider to me and has pretty much since the first trailer.

That said, it does look pretty cool.

Maybe I'm a jaded asshole, but the more I see of the game the less excited I get. Looks like Yet Another Open World Game, albeit with some cool flavor.

It's an RPG. Those are almost always Open World.
It does look pretty good. I just saw a Mafia 3 add on TV and the graphics looks like something from 10 years ago.

Weird people are getting shouted down for questioning RPG descriptor. It really doesn't look like one to me either. In fact, in the video, he doesn't really even call it one. He said they used some RPG elements as necessary iirc, which seems pretty apt. Looks very much like Tomb Raider to me and has pretty much since the first trailer.

What does it need in your opinion to be called an RPG that the game is lacking?

How does it look like tomb raider? Combat doesn't look similar given the type of enemies you fight, the scale is much bigger and more open, the game seems to have a much bigger narrative (in keeping with rpgs) from what they have shown in story trailers. The world design looks entirely different. If you could provide meaningful justifications why it looks like Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, etc, then that is fine. Just introducing what seem to be rather left field comparisons, and then not ellaborating is hardly constructive.

What is the game lacking that keeps it from being an RPG?

Voila! :D

pkszdh.gif

Man, the animation on those robo-birds is just fantastic. They've seriously stepped up their technical game since Shadow Fall.

Also, I love the look of the environment. I can't wait to explore all around there!

Zemm

I am super excited about this game, but seriously the Killzone games were all pretty bad. It's good that they shifted genres.

The Killzone games being bad is exactly why I'm not getting excited and keeping a "wait and see" approach. I hope this change works out for them (which would work out for me too), I'm glad they're trying something new but yeah, I'll remain a bit cynical for now, I don't have much faith in it.

Look at dem graphics... Sony first-party don't f**k around.

They really don't. I thought it would have been a while before a game could pass The Order in graphics, but now there's Uncharted 4. And then I thought It would have been a while to pass that, but now we have Horizon O_O
and don't get me started with GOW.

Another Horizon Zero Dawn topic full of bullshit and no real discussion. Even have one person that freely admits they haven't looked at any videos or articles about the game since the initial reveal yet has the nerve to concern troll about how "shallow" it appears to be. Most of this shitposting because the people do this "what makes it an RPG" shtick will not change their stance no matter what information you provide. Feigned ignorance or real ignorance it's extremely annoying. Ugh.

Another Horizon Zero Dawn topic full of bullshit and no real discussion. Even have one person that freely admits they haven't looked at any videos or articles about the game since the initial reveal yet has the nerve to concern troll. Ugh.
Just ignore them, paying them attention and continuing to derail doesn't help either.

I hope Guerrilla nails it. Killzone Shadow Fall is still in my top 5 worst games I've played this gen, so I'm still leery about buying into the hype, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not intrigued.

Kazaam

Colour me excited. I'm so curious and pumped to play this game. I am quite disappointed with the people's need to label it though... I can sort of understand it, but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

Krakin

The Killzone games being bad is exactly why I'm not getting excited and keeping a "wait and see" approach. I hope this change works out for them (which would work out for me too), I'm glad they're trying something new but yeah, I'll remain a bit cynical for now, I don't have much faith in it.

What are these bad KZ games that you've played?

Afrodium

Banned
Another Horizon Zero Dawn topic full of bullshit and no real discussion. Even have one person that freely admits they haven't looked at any videos or articles about the game since the initial reveal yet has the nerve to concern troll about how "shallow" it appears to be. Most of this shitposting because the people do this "what makes it an RPG" shtick will not change their stance no matter what information you provide. Feigned ignorance or real ignorance it's extremely annoying. Ugh.

Saying that this game doesn't appear to be a deep RPG is not the same thing as saying this will be a bad game. Discussing how this game will play as an RPG in a thread about Horizon being an RPG is a completely valid discussion. In the video in the OP the main RPG mechanics discussed dialogue options and colored numbers when you damage enemies, so I'm keeping my expectations on check. I'm aware other RPG mechanics have been mentioned, such as skill trees and tribe specific quests, but most modern AAA games have some type of skill trees (Watch Dogs has four), and these tribe specific quests will be a certain type of side quest that appears in every zone of the map.

DMONKUMA

It would be cool if they release models/figures of the robot creatures in the game. I would spend a ridiculous amount of money just to have some of them.

Game is looking good too.

Saying that this game doesn't appear to be a deep RPG is not the same thing as saying this will be a bad game. Discussing how this game will play as an RPG in a thread about Horizon being an RPG is a completely valid discussion. In the video in the OP the main RPG mechanics discussed dialogue options and colored numbers when you damage enemies, so I'm keeping my expectations on check. I'm aware other RPG mechanics have been mentioned, such as skill trees and tribe specific quests, but most modern AAA games have some type of skill trees (Watch Dogs has four), and these tribe specific quests will be a certain type of side quest that appears in every zone of the map.

So what makes a game an RPG? People keep saying what makes it an RPG yet these same people never explain what features it needs to qualify as one. I have never seen so much concern over what genre a game belongs in.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It would be cool if they release models/figures of the robot creatures in the game. I would spend a ridiculous amount of money just to have some of them.

I want a Thunderjaw so badly.

Was bummed that the CE was just Aloy. I like her design but would have ponied up for the Thunderjaw.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Just wait till the $300 Lego Thunderjaw

jayu26

Even they acknowledge that it is not very deep RPG. That is not the problem. There seems to be an effort to take that RPG label away altogether from this game, that is the problem.

Killzone 2 and Killzone: Mercenaries were legitimately good though

Only in the context of what was available on the platforms on the time.

Lets be honest, beyond some cool gifs the games were deeply mediocre.

They needed to move away from that and add "something" to their efforts. All signs point towards them doing just that.

Afrodium

Banned
So what makes a game an RPG? People keep saying what makes it an RPG yet these same people never explain what features it needs to qualify as one. I have never seen so much concern over what genre a game belongs in.

I would define an RPG as a game that allows me to curate my playable in a significant way, with both choices of playstyle (stealth, magic, slow combat, fast combat, etc.) and narrative decisions. I know that on paper Horizon has both of these qualities, but I'm not yet sold on how big of a role they will play in the game. These days almost every AAA open world game has lite RPG elements. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, the Arkham series, Watch Dogs, hell even DOOM have upgrade points and skill trees, so hearing that Horizon has three skill trees doesn't convince me so much that it's an RPG as it does that it's a modern AAA game. Until I see how intricate Horizon's skill trees are I'm going to assume that I can put points into say, shooting, stealth, and gadgets and will have enough points to get the must haves in all categories. As for the narrative decisions that could impact the story, Guerilla has said that this is only a few things and the impacts are small, so I'm not expecting The Witcher in this regard.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Only in the context of what was available on the platforms on the time.

Lets be honest, beyond some cool gifs the games were deeply mediocre.

They needed to move away from that and add "something" to their efforts. All signs point towards them doing just that.

KZ2 deeply mediocre?????

Good day sir. I SAID GOOD DAY.

Shin-chan

So I suppose JRPGs aren't RPGs either then, for the most part.

On paper the game sounds like an open world mass effect without the party focus (unless they surprise us) and with some climbing mechanics and a bow.

Now, Mass Effect just played lip service to your decisions making an impact on the story. Is that no longer and RPG either?

Memento

I would define an RPG as a game that allows me to curate my playable in a significant way, with both choices of playstyle (stealth, magic, slow combat, fast combat, etc.) and narrative decisions. I know that on paper Horizon has both of these qualities, but I'm not yet sold on how big of a role they will play in the game. These days almost every AAA open world game has lite RPG elements. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, the Arkham series, Watch Dogs, hell even DOOM have upgrade points and skill trees, so hearing that Horizon has three skill trees doesn't convince me so much that it's an RPG as it does that it's a modern AAA game. Until I see how intricate Horizon's skill trees are I'm going to assume that I can put points into say, shooting, stealth, and gadgets and will have enough points to get the must haves in all categories. As for the narrative decisions that could impact the story, Guerilla has said that this is only a few things and the impacts are small, so I'm not expecting The Witcher in this regard.

So Souls games arent RPG? Ok.

Elfstruck

I mean those are all relevant questions and not everyone has seen all those videos you mentioned. Maybe you just want a thread full of people gushing about how awesome everything is?

Hence he suggested a thread that has all the info about the game instead of everyone keeps asking the same questions over and over again.

jrDev

I...agree actually...

If I can get a PS4 for <$250 this Black Friday, I'll be looking forward to picking this up.

HStallion

So how about that cool looking city or town in the gif going around? Looks rather large then again I suppose it could be some kind of ruins as well. Wonder if they have Robot birds dropping robot turds onto peoples houses?

wenaldy

So how about that cool looking city or town in the gif going around? Looks rather large then again I suppose it could be some kind of ruins as well. Wonder if they have Robot birds dropping robot turds onto peoples houses?

I think that's the city from last year's trailer
hI4YfWq.jpg

Colorado National Monument
VZ1tsC4.jpg

Memento

What? Souls games allow you to curate your playstyle significantly and offer narrative choices with tangible repercussions (dead NPCs, different allies, enemies, summons).

I thought you were talking about branching storyline with dialogue choices Witcher-esque.

Fair enough then.

Also, have you watched any video from the developers? Or maybe just the video in the OP? They are not aiming a complex and deep RPG system, they want the action to be always present. There is no reason for your concern. There is already an answer directly from the devs for all your worries. If it doesnt suit you, just dont buy it and stop derailing the thread with non-problems.

MartyStu

I thought you were talking about branching storyline with dialogue choices Witcher-esque.

Fair enough then.

Also, have you watched any video from the developers? Or maybe just the video in the OP? They are not aiming a complex and deep RPG system, they want the action to be always present. There is no reason for your concern. There is already an answer directly from the devs for all your worries. If it doesnt suit you, just dont buy it and stop derailing the thread with non-problems.

This may actually one of the few threads about this game in which discussing this is not a derail.

HStallion

I think that's the city from last year's trailer
hI4YfWq.jpg

Colorado National Monument
VZ1tsC4.jpg

Yeah that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. On inspection that does seem to be the same place. There does seem to be more water and shrubbery but that may just be because of it being too far out for that kind of detail

HStallion

I wonder if you can grab onto/mount those winged creatures.

There is an even larger bird robot we've seen in trailers and its my suspicion you will eventually be able to hack and take control of one of those and go flying about. Probably end game though so you don't just break the game and fly all over the world right away like the airships in FF games.

Top Bottom