• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamelabo "RUMORS" (ie full of shit that was consumed for brunch)

ethelred

duckroll said:
It might be from one of the Famitsu mags. The rumors read like Famitsu's rumor section that I used to translate stuff from. Still, the chance of stuff coming true are like 1/5 usually.

I remember an old Famitsu rumor column said that ASH was canceled for the DS and moved to the PSP. But hey, this'll be fun -- we can watch everyone who's insisted vis a vis Final Fantasy XIII that Square Enix would never make a game multiplatform switch sides!

Acosta said:
A Jump RPG would be a great idea, but I wonder if they could bring it outside of Japan. If is a Japanese only game it would lose sales potential.

Nope. It'd be the same problem as Jump Ultimate Stars or the Super Robot Wars games.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Nope. It'd be the same problem as Jump Ultimate Stars or the Super Robot Wars games.

I don't really buy that Jump Ultimate Stars has any problem. The publisher of Jump in Japan owns Viz in the US, which in turn has the rights for all Jump franchises.

ethelred

It's all because of New PSP's robust sales, instead of poor sales performances how those RPGs did on DS.
Also compared to DS, there arn't much users who get these ROM images illegally on PSP.

This is pretty plausible. If you look at the recent performance of Square Enix games on the DS, they've really been doing pretty poorly. Crystal Chronicles, the DS Style games, Heroes of Mana, It's a Wonderful World... they've got to be looking at the sales of Crisis Core and the hype for KH: Birth by Sleep and seeing the potential here.

Eteric Rice

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
www.rif.org

Gamefront is reporting this rumors as GAMELABO ones, btw.

A website I've never heard of.

Awesome.

ethelred said:
This is pretty plausible. If you look at the recent performance of Square Enix games on the DS, they've really been doing pretty poorly. Crystal Chronicles, It's a Wonderful World... they've got to be looking at the sales of Crisis Core and the hype for KH: Birth by Sleep and seeing the potential here.

I doubt it. CC did well as far as I know, and IAWW was a new franchise. Final Fantasy VII: CC is a Final Fantasy VII title that's been hyped for a long time now. I'd have expected it to do a lot better than most of the things put out on the DS thus far.

botticus

ethelred said:
This is pretty plausible. If you look at the recent performance of Square Enix games on the DS, they've really been doing pretty poorly. Crystal Chronicles, the DS Style games, Heroes of Mana, It's a Wonderful World... they've got to be looking at the sales of Crisis Core and the hype for KH: Birth by Sleep and seeing the potential here.
Wouldn't it help the logical leap if Crisis Core outsold DQM (or FFIII if you want to compare apples to apples) first?

ethelred

botticus said:
Wouldn't it help the logical leap if Crisis Core outsold DQM (or FFIII if you want to compare apples to apples) first?

Why? No one's talking about canceling the DS game, so the PSP games don't need to do better than all of Square Enix's DS stuff -- just better than most, as in enough to show the potential.

That's been accomplished, so a multiplatform release has got to be looking like a pretty good idea.

ethelred

Cedille said:
Theses scans are from Game-Lab. A magazine of full of shit.

It's possible. But if you look at the comments Square Enix folks have been making lately (like Shinji Hashimoto) they really have been stressing the need for more of a multiplatform approach. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they're seriously looking at doing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Gamefront is reporting these rumors as GAMELABO ones, btw.
It probably is then, they lurk on 2ch all the time and probably got the scans from there as well.

ethelred said:
I doubt they'd use any of those games to make this decision.

ethelred said:
It's possible. But if you look at the comments Square Enix folks have been making lately (like Shinji Hashimoto) they really have been stressing the need for more of a multiplatform approach. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they're seriously looking at doing.
Did I miss an interview? They want to support all platforms equally, not release games multi-platform, the only game that they have in the works that is coming out on multiple platforms is The Last Remnant.

As a major DS fan, I'd buy a PSP and their DQ games if they were to come out for it. The audio/graphical jump would be so worth it. Just keep the loading times in check.

I hope this is true. The PSP desperately needs more attention from Square Enix. I don't see how a ground up DS game can be seamlessly ported to the PSP though.

Forgotten Ancient said:
As a major DS fan, I'd buy a PSP and their DQ games if they were to come out for it. The audio/graphical jump would be so worth it. Just keep the loading times in check.
True.

Rancid Mildew said:
I hope this is true. The PSP desperately needs more attention from Square Enix. I don't see how a ground up DS game can be seamlessly ported to the PSP though.

Probably not a port. Just simultaneously developed. The battle system, storyline, and characters would be the same, but they could use the DQVIII engine on the PSP version.

What am I saying? I sound like a PSP fan in denial...but I so badly want this to be true. Also, I want DQIV-VI on the PSP as well. Hell, give me the whole series again. Take my money, take it all!

creamsugar said:
NOTE: ALL OF THESE ARE RUMORS

1. New version of DS next spring, with a mobile digital TV/radio tuner.
2. Square Enix make a RPG for DS with Shonen JUMP characters.
3. DQ 9 also available for PSP.

etc: look at pics please.

you changed "DQ remake" to "DQ 9"...holy schnikies if true.

Forgotten Ancient said:
This rumor doesn't make sense with Square Enix's business strategy. If you are giong to make a remake for DS and PSP, they have to be made at different times. Then, you can rape consumers twice. If they are made at the same time, people would arguably buy the PSP versions.

TheKingsCrown said:
This rumor doesn't make sense with Square Enix's business strategy. If you are giong to make a remake for DS and PSP, they have to be made at different times. Then, you can rape consumers twice. If they are made at the same time, people would arguably buy the PSP versions.

No reason they couldn't wait 6 months to put out the PSP version. They'd definitely make money off of suckers such as myself.:lol

camineet

Banned
JoeMartin said:
When it says new DS does it mean a redesign a la DS Lite 2.0 or a generational leap for the DS?

there's no way a next-generation DS is coming out in the next 2 years.

fall 2010 at the soonest.

camineet said:
there's no way a next-generation DS is coming out in the next 2 years.

2010 at the soonest.

It will start being talked about at Nintendo shortly after a competitor worth talking about about reveals their own new handheld.

Forgotten Ancient said:
No reason they couldn't wait 6 months to put out the PSP version. They'd definitely make money off of suckers such as myself.:lol
I think Square is very likely trying to find the exact amount of time between rapings that maximizes revenue.

Pureauthor said:
Or the XBoy or the Dreamcat or the Madden-Portable. Whatever.

Well, you said worth talking about. Since Microsoft is leaving the gaming industry next year and Sega's too busy working on relaunching the Dreamcast I think that only leaves Sony. I mean, nobody really plays sports or even buys EA games for portables.

camineet

Banned
Pureauthor said:
It will start being talked about at Nintendo shortly after a competitor worth talking about about reveals their own new handheld.

probably.

the PSP2 GPU that Nvidia is working on for Sony was unofficially expected to be completed in 2008. that may give us an idea when Sony plans to reveal (2009?) and launch (2010?).

GhostSeed

Yes, these are definitely from Gamelabo. Here is a pict from the rumor section from the May 2006 issue I have.

Exact same font and everything.

(May 2006 Issue)
gamelabo2006.jpg

creamsugar said:

1. New version of DS next spring, with a mobile digital TV/radio tuner.
2. Square Enix make a RPG for DS with Shonen JUMP characters.
3. DQ 9 also available for PSP.

1. OK, i dont need, DS Lite is brilliant as it is
2. OMGWTF?!! Yes Please!!! With lots of Hunter x Hunter characters please!!
3. I dont think so.

Concept17

creamsugar said:

1. New version of Gameboy next spring, with a mobile digital TV/radio tuner.
2. Square Enix make a RPG for DS with Disney characters.
3. DQ X also available for PSP.

Fixed.

Lightning

Banned
The PSP does deserve a Dragon Quest game, they won't get DQ9 obviously that is just absurd, but they do deserve 1 DQ game...

C-mon S-E...

ethelred

Lightning said:
The PSP does deserve a Dragon Quest game, they won't get DQ9 obviously that is just absurd, but they do deserve 1 DQ game...

C-mon S-E...

It has one already. Though I'm not sure why any system "deserves" a particular game or series.

Uhh

DQ Monsters Joker is the best-selling current-gen SE handheld game so far, right?

The idea of "robust PSP sales" and "CC's success" are kind of weak reasonings, considering that DQMJ has done more than 2x what CC's done so far.

ethelred

A Link to the Snitch said:
Uhh

DQ Monsters Joker is the best-selling current-gen SE handheld game so far, right?

The idea of "robust PSP sales" and "CC's success" are kind of weak reasonings, considering that DQMJ has done more than 2x what CC's done so far.

Those sales don't tell us much, though. A Dragon Quest game would sell well on any system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ethelred said:
Those sales don't tell us much, though. A Dragon Quest game would sell well on any system.

damn...dq9 on handy confirmed...noooooooooooo

A Link to the Snitch said:
Uhh

Well, DQ is the bigger series and the DS had the bigger install base. Both games did very respectable.

The reasoning provided in justification for the DQ9-on-PSP thing is pretty funny. We pretty much knew DQ9 wasn't going to make 2007 well before the PSP started to show its most recent signs of life.

I figure the chances of this being true are a little bit worse than the chances of a multiplat FF XIII due to Horii's influence. I'm also pretty sure that there's not much chance this one is happening unless the other is also happening.

So for future reference, could anyone interested in this rumor solely for system wars ammunition line up and tell the class whether they'd prefer FFXIII and DQ9 to both go multi-platform, or both to stay exclusive?

charlequin said:
The reasoning provided in justification for the DQ9-on-PSP thing is pretty funny. We pretty much knew DQ9 wasn't going to make 2007 well before the PSP started to show its most recent signs of life.

I figure the chances of this being true are a little bit worse than the chances of a multiplat FF XIII due to Horii's influence. I'm also pretty sure that there's not much chance this one is happening unless the other is also happening.

So for future reference, could anyone interested in this rumor solely for system wars ammunition line up and tell the class whether they'd prefer FFXIII and DQ9 to both go multi-platform, or both to stay exclusive?

In general, I prefer exclusives. The developer spends more time with that game on the system and tends to maximize the strengths of the platform.

But when we're talking about releasing a game on a much more powerful platform in addition to the originally intended platform, I don't see a problem with that.

To summarize, I'd prefer FFXIII to be exclusive and that the DQ (and FF remakes) get released on both DS and PSP. Not that it matters since this is probably a bunk rumor.

Top Bottom