• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMEPUMP - Service cancelled, everyone refunded + 2 bonus apology games

Type40

You'd never do a wine of the month club? It's the same sorta deal.

I would not, as I do not enjoy wine. The main difference is that lets say I enjoyed wine, in general, I would be happy to sample a variety of wines. But with games I know what I like and what I don't like, and the sampling concept exists in the form of demos. Getting a game that is new, a mystery, and possibly bad does not sit well with me.

As for those people boasting up the Humble Monthly Bundle, I have the same problem with that. Have I seen monthly bundles in the past with more good games than bad, yes. Am I willing to risk getting shit, No.

Probably better to bow out like this than hope it improves.

Sounds like it tried to get going before it had a solid foundation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That is what my words said. People are lucky they are getting a refund at all. I have the same thoughts on people who subscribe to Lootcrate/Nerdbox type products. Last thing I want my money to go to is unknown shit.

You seem to have a difficult time separating two separate risks: risk that you are unsatisfied with what you get; and risk of fraudulent scamming. The former would be if GamePump released 12 games and all of them sucked and none had resale value. The latter would be GamePump not releasing games and then taking peoples' money. Most people, in calculating their risk, would assign a low-medium probability to the former, and a very low probability to the latter.

My calculations in the fall when I bought a GamePump subscription were:
1) It is extremely unlikely that the whole thing will be fraudulent. If it ends up fraudulent, I can do a chargeback with no consequence. The consequence is that I could have earned a cent or two of interest over the few months but this is not something worth thinking about.
2) It is somewhat likely it will be disappointing. By disappointing, I mean I will get relatively few games that I care about. At $20, it doesn't take much to break even. If I sell each game for $1 and keep none, then I'm only out $8 for a year. If I keep one $10 game, and sell the rest for $1 each, I break even. If any of them sell for $4-5, I'm golden. If I decide to keep everything, then I basically bought 4 junk bundles, something I do anyway. So my downside exposure here is fairly low.
3) It is somewhat likely that I will enjoy the service (i.e. get my money's worth)

So it wasn't because I'm a wild gambler, it was because it was low risk. It turns out the thing that happened is sort of a fourth case: I pay absolutely nothing and I get some games for free. That's closest to #3, to be honest.

As for Lootcrate: The reason you shouldn't buy Lootcrate isn't because they're going to take your money and run. It's because they're going to give you nerd garbage. Unlike a game bundle service, you can't resell the items because they have literally $0 value. Unlikely a game bundle service, it's a physical object, so you have to deal with physical junk.

But let's pretend we didn't know Lootcrate was $0 promotional garbage and it was a new, fresh service that you wondered about. We would ask what the business model is. The business model for Lootcrate is that it gives away promotional items. You get a crate from Lootcrate. They give you Marvel stuff that they bought from Marvel. In this transaction, Marvel has to profit from selling the stuff to Lootcrate (because the specific promotional value is pretty limited, but let's say at best it's like a Happy Meal Toy type scenario). Lootcrate has to profit from selling the stuff to you. At both stages, you are losing value.

A wine of the month club is a little different. First, wineries generally sell relatively small amounts of wines, and in general wine of the month clubs are quite large volume purchases for a small winery. As a result, the winery can make a profit without inflating the cost onto the consumer of the transaction. Second, the winery can afford to loss-lead a little bit, because once you've drank their wine from the club, you might decide to buy it again. This is the same business model wineries use for wine tastings. With Lootcrate there's not as much of an economy of scale, and there's not as much of post-sale spinoff benefits for the original seller.

The proposed business model for GamePump was closer to the wine club. They make their money by publishing the games and getting ongoing income. This is like how the winery makes their money by selling wine. The monthly game sale thing is about defraying some upfront costs, because games have an upfront cost but not an ongoing cost. The game club would also give a chance to get a community, some reviews, and buzz for launch to the general public. So again it's much more likely to be something of a loss-lead.

It didn't work out, but I don't think it makes sense to connect it either to LootCrate, or to say people are gullible because they're lucky they got refunds. I didn't buy in because I'm a high risk individual, I bought it because it struck me as a low risk purchase.

Parsnip

Same. Considering how long it took me to get any response from them before, I expect this to drag on.

Based on some of the posts in steam thread, they are seemingly refunding in order of newest first as I suspected, so I guess we'll be among the last ones.

Also as an aside, I was looking at Bowling's linkedin page before the official announcement came, and that dude has his hands on a lot of different things these days.

andrespi

Well, my refund appeared finally on my Credit card statement, just an hour ago. A shame for the lack of communication and for closing down before starting, but at least I just got my money back (even though it took 5 days).

But they really have to improve on their customer service and communication if they want people to trust them ever again. Certainly I can't and won't recomend to my friends anymore, because they didn't bother to answer my emails (even after days), which is not ok. Plus bowling seem to have to many failed projects (something i discovered only recently in the last few days) in his past to trust this service with a blind preorder.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
errr... wow, that was quick. I didn't think the idea made much sense from the start, so I guess I'm not surprised. Cool they'll stick around as a publisher, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How does the refund work if you paid with PayPal, does it go into your PP balance or back to the payment method used via PayPal?

I assume it goes to the balance, but mine is pending so maybe its pending because it goes back on the card?

Zakalwe

Banned
Well, my refund appeared finally on my Credit card statement, just an hour ago. A shame for the lack of communication and for closing down before starting, but at least I just got my money back (even though it took 5 days). But they really have to improve on their customer service and communication if they want people to trust them ever again. Certainly I can't and won't recomend to my friends anymore, because they didn't bother to answer my emails (even after days), which is not ok. Plus bowling seem to have to many failed projects (something i discovered only recently in the last few days) in his past to trust this service with a blind preorder.

5 days is quick for a refund for something like this.

The lack of comms might be bad, but the time it took to refun certainly isn't.

Radnom

I didn't buy in because I'm a high risk individual, I bought it because it struck me as a low risk purchase.
Great post, sums it up nicely. It's sad that it didn't work out, because I liked the concept, but as Mr.FortyFive said, "No harm, no foul". I wish them luck as a publisher.

duckroll

Disappointed that the service never made it off the ground. The refund was handled well but I'm kinda amazed that even now they can't mention a single title other than Lit. Oh well!

JCG

Didn't mind waiting for a bit, but for now I'll just wish them luck with their future endeavors.

We are on the same boat. #TeamNov16

Yes, #TeamNov16 is where all the action is (or isn't, to be more accurate).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lmao. Isn't this the second Bowling endeavor to strike out before it starts? Like, I'm not kicking him while he's down (which isn't my intention) but it's just weird this is the second time he's tried to start-up a company and had to pull back features and/or cancel the entire plan.

Nzyme32

#TeamNoRefundYet

Same. Earliest to subscribe, last to refund I guess.

Didn't mind waiting for a bit, but for now I'll just wish them luck with their future endeavors.

Yes, #TeamNov16 is where all the action is (or isn't, to be more accurate).

I'm with you guys, but I knew I was throwing money around with this, so I'm all that worried. I have never received an email from them, and all I have is the paypal confirmation since they had a really poorly implemented paypal solution. Thankfully after a lot of email attempts, I got an email from the man himself confirming that was normal for an order via paypal at the time. Thanks to that, I can at least use it in a paypal dispute should I need to.

lmao. Isn't this the second Bowling endeavor to strike out before it starts? Like, I'm not kicking him while he's down (which isn't my intention) but it's just weird this is the second time he's tried to start-up a company and had to pull back features and/or cancel the entire plan.

What was the first endeavour?

Tapejara

It's too bad it didn't end up working out. I was definitely behind the idea, and while I took issue with the way they announced the switch to a GOG-first platform, I still think it was a cool initiative. Hopefully they'll be able to come back soon with more of the groundwork laid out.

Vamphuntr

It was a fun ride for what it was. It seems they went ahead without actually securing the rights to the games they wanted and without actually researching how to publish games on Steam. Maybe the low amount of subscribers made reaching deals for some games not worth it and frankly the proposition was becoming a bit ridiculous with 14 games for 20$.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What was the first endeavour?

He had a studio working on a game called Human Element. They released a mobile title and made progress on Human Element. It was originally intended to be F2P. After several years of development, they lost their publishing deal and were not able to find a new one, either for the F2P game or for an alternate design as pay-first. Then they stopped development on the game and wound down the studio rather than go under.

Quantum

received my refund this evening - I'm kinda bummed about it.

I didn't mind waiting, in my opinion it was a much better idea than most of the crap I've kick-started and had to wait multiple years for.

bummer.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It was a fun ride for what it was. It seems they went ahead without actually securing the rights to the games they wanted and without actually researching how to publish games on Steam. Maybe the low amount of subscribers made reaching deals for some games not worth it and frankly the proposition was becoming a bit ridiculous with 14 games for 20$.

I don't think that's quite it--I think he announced this service so early in the hopes that he could use the subscriber count as a bargaining chip with licensors, but the numbers weren't where they needed to be because he announced the service with no names and no credible roadmap... typical naive chicken-or-egg bullshit.

CuNi

Got the Refund E-Mail today and was irritated at first, but after reading this thread I feel a litle bit sad. I actually hoped they would maybe "refurbish" Jet Set Radio Future for PC.. darn... Well atleast I got my money back

Sakujou

Banned
the idea sounds super cool, but i have never heard of this.

if i had money, it would be cool to let a team dig around and bring back old games lost in the aether into the digital world.

Auto refunded yesterday, rather fair and transparent imo.

It was a fresh approach but not well elaborated. I bet the most problematic was licensing ips or builds. Plus the steam greenlight thing.

All in all a very amateurish and naive try on a good idea. Good luck for future projects.

Hip Hop

Bad luck or bad business man?

Robert Bowling has not been able to accomplish on most of his announced stuff that he's been working ever since he left Activision/Infinity Ward.

Hopefully he gets it someday, he does seem very passionate.

Corey31

Subbed November 16th via PayPal.

No contact yet about refund but I see it sitting in my pending PayPal transactions.

Shifty

Reading that first page was real confusing after the title change.

Shame that the subscription service didn't work out, but the fact that they're sticking around in a publishing context is nice. Means we'll still see their output, whatever that ends up being.

Also kudos for handling the cancellation well. That's good business.

Naarmight

Oh shame, I had not seen this thread, I actually requested a refund yesterday, got a mail, and have the money sat like a lot of other people in the pending section on Paypal.

Does that give it any kind of eta?

Top Bottom