• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

daninthemix

Hold on a minute. If games we've paid for are going to become completely unusable then is there not some legal recourse here?

Does Relic still own the Dawn of War IP? I think if they do, the will probably patch it out. Bethesda might do it as Fallout pc is fairly popular and has a massive install base. RE5 is probably dead for good after they shut down the servers.

Hold on a minute. If games we've paid for are going to become completely unusable then is there not some legal recourse here?

I'm almost certain that there is language to cover their asses in the EULA in case this ever happened.

Tobor

This is so microsoft it hurts, try to be a key rival in something, fail to some degree and just bin it completely within a few years, repeat the cycle with something else.

Blows for people like me who enjoy GFWL achievements in games, I have a big backlog to go over now before January.

Bingo.

Nobody fails as good as MS.

Symphonic

Windows 8 Xbox Live games are not Games For Windows Live.

No, I know this. Shoot. Not wording it right I guess.

The Xbox app on Windows 8 shows your achievements, stats, info, etc for all your Windows 8 Xbox Live games, GFWL games, and Xbox 360 Live games. I only use Windows 8 Xbox Live and GFWL games, so my games app is going to be very empty.

I was curious if Microsoft is going to start selling games on the Windows 8 app store or not.

A lot of people have already played them and are more concerned about future releases being gimped by this shitty platform.

One has nothing to do with the other. It was pretty much confirmed that new games wouldn't be released with GFWL. GFWL is dead. This news just means that already existing games will be rendered useless next year.

You can pick up retail copies of some of the games Stump is listing (assuming there is not a recall), Amazon still has Viva Pinata PC but it will likely become a coaster once the activation servers go down.

ymmv

Banned
an28czuzg.gif

Eusis

Check the license agreement and see what that says! Other than the fact they say we can't do a class action lawsuit anyway, which already fucks things up.

So with something like Fallout 3, if we were to buy it (on Steam) after Aug. 22 (when the store shuts down) does that mean we wouldn't be able to activate it? Or is activation still staying active?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Games are going to fast become "you had to be there" experiences with so much "always online" stuff creeping in.

I guess Dark Souls hacked player shit meant I wouldnt miss that online interaction, but still.

That's only a hope at this point and who knows how that would work anyway.

well it sounds like the batman games, bioshock2, and insanely twisted will all be replacing gfwl with steamworks

if a company still makes long tail money off of their pc release it would be in their best interest to remove gfwl

I don't think anyone was using the Kin.
My wife was. Microsoft made all its apps server-dependant and then closed all servers 8 months after launch, leaving every customer high and dry. Verizon ended up saving the day, but still, fuck Microsoft for rolling over its customers.

Grief.exe

Let's not jump to conclusions here people.

With GFWL shutting down, you probably won't be able to earn achievement points (authentications servers down), play online, and message friends.

You will still be able to play offline. Games you own will still function.

Hopefully, more publishers elect to rip the service out entirely in favor of Steamworks.

CatPee

*plays Dead Space 3*
What a pretty game, I'd love to take a screenshots right now

oh wait, origin doesn't support taking screenshots

thank god i'm getting Origin Achievement Points though.

You like Steam's horribly-compressed screenshot function? D:

Derrick01

Banned
Yes! Burn in hell you piece of garbage.

On a side note I guess I better get to Dead Rising 2. The clock's ticking.

GTA4 needs online activation...

looks like many people will be pissed off

No one will be playing that game if 5 comes out on PC before the shutdown.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so, if I'm reading this right, any game that requires GFWL to run will stop working on July 1 of next year?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
DAMN! I guess that's it for me and PC gaming :( I still have GFW mags from the Vista days...good times

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You like Steam's horribly-compressed screenshot function? D:

yes because jpg compression doesn't prevent me from conveying the things i feel when i see things--note that I also use f.lux and have a 1680x1050 monitor, so we're not talking about pristine source material here--whereas not having a visual reference point at all does.

Eusis

With GFWL shutting down, you probably won't be able to earn achievement points (authentications servers down), play online, and message friends.

Hopefully, more publishers elect to rip the service out entirely in favor of Steamworks.
I dunno, most of them depend on logging into GFWL before granting access at least to saving. Though I guess it's possible for Microsoft to have one last update kept online that tells games the service is down and don't bother looking for it while letting games run normally otherwise.

Symphonic

Yes! Burn in hell you piece of garbage.

On a side note I guess I better get to Dead Rising 2. The clock's ticking.

No one will be playing that game if 5 comes out on PC before the shutdown.

...you're ok with them just completely shutting off access to an entire game?

Addnan

If you don't have them installed you need to go online to activate the game though don't you?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Uplay sure
Origin? We may not like it but thats just a gaming service. I have dead space 3 on there as of a week ago so nty

Origin is a piece of shit. There is no wishlist and it fragments my library, achievements, friends (lol), history, shopping and updates to two apps. Their prices are outrageous and their sales are crap aside from Humble Bundle. Plus it doesn't work with PinSteam, so I have to manually create tiles for EA games. I buy way fewer EA games because of Origin. And they even have Battlefield 3 launch through Origin PLUS web browser which is even more shitty.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thanks.

I don't think I'll bother.. I already got all the ones that weren't too much trouble. Bioshock 2 if my only other GFWL game.

BS2 is getting patched at some point so you'll be safe to play it (although obviously you won't get XBL achievements)

Derrick01

Banned
...you're ok with them just completely shutting off access to an entire game?

I am ok with GFWL shutting down for good. I'd prefer every game on there to patch it out and switch to steamworks but I'm not going to cry if they don't. The only games that use GFWL that I still play are Batman AA/AC and they're getting steamworks patches.

Can't see how they will work if those games rely on server-side authentication. Yeah if you installed your game before they shut the servers are taken down, you'll be able to play your games until you computer dies. But if that happens or you reinstall windows, or get a new pc you are pretty much SOL.

So long Gears of War PC, Bulletstorm, GTA IV and others :(

Good riddance to GFWL however. I would absolutely love for Epic to do a slight fixer upper on GoW and rerelease on Steam.

amatecha

Sad stuff. How many of our games will become completely unplayable as a result? It's not a very safe bet that studios will patch their games...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, what happens to all (lol) my GFWL games?

Will I be able to play Dark Souls?

All GFWL games:
- Achievements fail
- Matchmaking fails and online features are permanently broken

GFWL games that require sign-in for initial activation:
- Permanently unplayable

GFWL games that require sign-in / user profile access for saving:
- Permanently unplayable

Top Bottom