• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are announced way too early

It's kind of amazing that anyone would still be hyped for Crackdown 3 after 2 was such a stinker.

Because the 2nd one was made by a different team in 11 months. This has the original creator, and definitely has the budget and time behind it.

Well Shenmue 3 was announced as a Kickstarter game, so unless they found another way to fund the game, there was no way around that.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not.

He's not wrong, thought. The impact of the announcements mattered much more than the games themselves.

I'm still waiting on Deep Down

334001f9_ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

Gamezone

Gold Member
Half-Life 3. Gabe said plenty of times that there would be another game, at least another episode.

Other than that, Crackdown 3.

System Shock 3.
That's not like they needed a funding campaign, they've got a publisher, can't see a reason to announce it THAT early on.

Fredrik

I'm still waiting on Deep Down

334001f9_ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
I remember when we all thought that was in-game.

Same thing with Killzone and Motorstorm target renders.

And the 60fps Uncharted 4 beach scene.

No wonder they keep doing this, we're all so gullible.

Can't wait to get fooled again this E3 when Scorpio is shown.

:/

There were a lot of nasty words thrown at non believers. That certainly was a time to remember.

Death Stranding
Silent Hills
Cyberpunk 2077
Prey 2 (from the sound of it, that 2011 demo was literally all they had)
Wreckfest
Dark Sector

Fredrik

There were a lot of nasty words thrown at non believers. That certainly was a time to remember.
The Killzone target render had me investigating single frames. They completely fooled me. I've done lots of 3D rendering back in my youth but that video is still the first 3D render I've seen with what looked like game engine pop-in. Then Jack Tretton confirmed in an interview that it was all in-engine while thinking about Insomniac's Resistance. What a mess.

This is why Sony E3 2015 was a bust for me outside of a few smaller titles. Everyone going nuts over FF7R and shenmue 3. My response was "meh, I'll look forward to them in 3-5 years when we've got a release date."

Other games that come to mind, TLG, FF13 versus, Horizon, Zelda BotW.

This can essentially be Sony the thread. Every year all the new blockbuster announcement reveals are for games over a year out.

Fredrik

This is why Sony E3 2015 was a bust for me outside of a few smaller titles. Everyone going nuts over FF7R and shenmue 3. My response was "meh, I'll look forward to them in 3-5 years when we've got a release date."

Other games that come to mind, TLG, FF13 versus, Horizon, Zelda BotW.

This can essentially be Sony the thread. Every year all the new blockbuster announcement reveals are for games over a year out.
It certainly works for them though, Sony are the ruling masters of generating hype, pretty much killed Dreamcast with the PS2 hype even though PS2's first year showed games that looked better on DC.
I'm sure they have something similar prepared for this years E3 too to stop MS, something we'll go nuts about now but get to play on PS5 in 3 years.

MS has tried to only show games that comes out within a year but it just doesn't work, they can't compete with Sony that way. It'll be interesting to see their strategy for the Scorpio showcase.

munroe

Sony E3 is probably the worst for showing games mega early and people go crazy for the target render /cgi footage. Microsoft was quite bad for it, crackdown 3, but I think they're getting better

KHlover

Banned
Every game where the devs couldn't even show a release year at the end of the trailer. Delays are one thing, but when a CGI trailer ending with "now in development" is literally the only thing you have to show...that's when you should have waited a year or two with the announcement.

Alx

There's no such thing as "too early." Knowing what these companies are doing and planning is good for you, the consumer.

What benefit does it really bring to the consumer ? Knowing that a game is in the works doesn't really improve my gaming experience (especially when those games don't have a clear release date). I'm fine with how movies handle it, most people being aware of movies when they're ready to release (and I always find it silly when theaters show trailers for movies that will release 6 months later).

Fredrik

What benefit does it really bring to the consumer ? Knowing that a game is in the works doesn't really improve my gaming experience (especially when those games don't have a clear release date). I'm fine with how movies handle it, most people being aware of movies when they're ready to release (and I always find it silly when theaters show trailers for movies that will release 6 months later).
Yeah delays on cinemas is fine, and completely different since there is no hardware purchase needed. Games shown off too early can push people to buy new hardware only to find out that even better hardware is out before their favorite game is released. Especially now that we have upgrades mid gen.

InSANE_logo.jpg

It was that Guillermo del Toro game that was announced at the 2010 VGA's and was supposed to be released in 2013. I even think they said it was going to be a trilogy.

Microsoft this gen has been ridiculous with this. What they did with Phantom Dust, the black tusk shanghai game, Scalebound, Crackdown and even fable legends is totally inappropriate and borderline fraud.

kpaadet

Some complain when publishers hold their cards to close to the chest, and some complain when games are shown early, shrug. Also in defence of Shenmue 3, when exactly are you suppose to announce a kickstarter campaign? When the game is almost done?

GhaleonEB

Except Fallout 4 isn't exactly a standout game, and the fact that they were able to ensure the release date is because the game was pretty behind the times in terms of visuals, quest and gameplay design, writing, etc. Meanwhile, many games that have gotten delays or released later than expected have ended up amazing, like The Witcher 3, Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, etc. Sometimes it's better to take the time to make the game better rather than deliver on a release date.

Regardless of what you thought of the game, it's a good counter example to the topic. It was in development for over 4 years, but announced a mere six months before it was released, to its announced release date, and went on to see massive sales (and strong critical praise).

I didn't like the game, but they did work on it for a long time and then have a very short announce -> release window. They could easily have announced it a few years earlier, but held off.

CloudWolf

I've almost given up hope on hearing anything about Cyberpunk 2077 for at least another three years.

It's the same thing with KH3, which was announced in 2013 (still too early), but people randomly have a head-canon of it being announced 10 years ago, just because that's around the period KH2 came out.

The thing with Half-Life 3 is that while HL3 was never announced, Episode 3 definitely was announced. Though it still wouldn't fit this thread, because it wasn't announced too early, it was just cancelled for reasons unknown. It was actually slated to release a year after Episode 2 IIRC.

Lanrutcon

Bullshit.

There are those who aren't that stupid.

Fredrik

Some complain when publishers hold their cards to close to the chest, and some complain when games are shown early, shrug. Also in defence of Shenmue 3, when exactly are you suppose to announce a kickstarter campaign? When the game is almost done?
I think it's the platform announcements really. If you know you're talking about it early then don't talk about a specific platform yet. If it comes out in 2018 and runs better on PS4 Pro then it kind of sucks for the fans that got hyped enough to back the KS and buy a PS4 just to play Shenmue 3. The fans probably don't want to play an inferior version.

This goes for all delayed first party games this generation btw. Sony/MS should've been upfront with the upgrade plans, they should've told everyone when they got the idea, delaying the announcements was kind of douche imo since lots of people learned about the upgrades after buying the original consoles and knew they would be forced to double dip on hardware this generation to be happy.

It is what it is. They'll come out when they come out. There are plenty of great games releasing. Just continue to live life.

I don't necessarily want these games to take years and years to come out. The sooner, the better. However, if it takes a long time, why care? It is just video games. It is made out to be a much bigger deal than it needs to be.

this

Hilarion

Surprised classics like StarCraft: Ghost didn't show up on this list.

For that matter, how about announcing StarCraft II as a trilogy and taking nearly a decade to get the third installment out?

kpaadet

I think it's the platform announcements really. If you know you're talking about it early then don't talk about a specific platform yet. If it comes out in 2018 and runs better on PS4 Pro then it kind of sucks for the fans that got hyped enough to back the KS and buy a PS4 just to play Shenmue 3. The fans probably don't want to play an inferior version.

This goes for all delayed first party games this generation btw. Sony/MS should've been upfront with the upgrade plans, they should've told everyone when they got the idea, delaying the announcements was kind of douche imo since lots of people learned about the upgrades after buying the original consoles and knew they would be forced to double dip on hardware this generation to be happy.
Welcome to the world of tech, better hardware is always around the corner, all those poor people that bought a Wii U for Zelda only to see it look and run better on Switch. If you buy hardware before the software is released you're an idiot sorry.

marmoka

Banned
I made a list of games announced too early. Please help me complete it:

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Kingdom Hearts III
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Last Guardian
Yoshi's Wolly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS
Deep Down
Cyberpunk 2077
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Persona 5
Scalebound
Duke Nukem Forever
Alien Colonial Marines
Beyond Good and Evil 2
No Man's Sky
The Last Guardian
Wild
Silent Hills
Rime
Death Stranding

Roufianos

Death Stranding. They're putting out trailers before they even have an engine. What even is the game besides Kojima's Hollywood wank fest?

The Division comes to mind. They showed that game off two years before it became reality, and by then it's incredible visuals had become the norm.

Nanashrew

Banned

Smash was fine though. It began development in 2012, officially revealed at E3 2013, officially released in 2014.

We were also constantly updated with pic of the day too.

Fredrik

Bullshit.

There are those who aren't that stupid.
lol
okay okay maybe not everyone, but sooo many believed in those target render videos, big media outlets said it was all realtime, the hype was insane, we just wanted to believe and that was is, blinded by hype I guess.
You should check some old threads, in hindsight it's both embarassing and hilarious to read.
Here's one from 2007 - did you believe the Killzone 2 footage was "real"?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=159253&page=1
:)

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Shenmue 3
Final Fantasy XIII Versus
Kingdom Hearts III
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Last Guardian
Yoshi’s Wolly World
Xenoblade Chronicles X
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Deep Down
Cyberpunk 2077
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Persona 5
Scalebound
Duke Nukem Forever
Alien Colonial Marines
Beyond Good and Evil 2
No Man’s Sky
The Last Guardian
Wild
Silent Hills
Rime
Death Stranding
Am I the only one that cares about Below? =(

Fbh

Yep it's annoying. Ideally every game would go from announced to released in no more than a year and a half. It's never going to happen though because from a Marketing perspective these announcements seem to work. I mean that Sony E3 conference will go down in history as one of the best but if you really think about it almost all megatons were games that were many years away and not even exclusive.

My favorite game this gen so far, Bloodborne, went from rumor to announcement to release in like a year.
I wish it was the same for all games. At least to me, when games take so long the hype starts to fade over time and is replaced by indifference.

Fraeon

I liked the low-key Nintendo releases of the Wii U era.

I mean, I get the point of marketing from a company standpoint but as a customer the sooner I get my hands on it after announcement, the better.

I don't really care much for hype cycles.

Top Bottom