• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that tastelessly overuse graphical gimmicks

lazygecko

You know what, screw camera artifact simulations. What we really need is a first person game that simulates eye floaters for maximum immershun.

Now you won't be able to ignore your eye floaters just cause I brought it up.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Crysis 3 and visible facial pores.

k2ofuh2.jpg

93e3e565-6e36-4d47-a98d-bb3a8cc174cb.jpg

GTAV has some pretty obnoxious post processing effects going on with the next gen version. I thought there was something wrong with my tv when I saw a giant blue streak across the bottom of the screen that wouldn't go away while I was swimming. Nope, it was just lense flare. From the sun. That wasn't even on the screen at the time. :

Any game ever that throws dust on my eyeballs to simulate a non-eyeball camera effect can go straight to Hades and live a sad afterlife forever.

As someone who wears glasses, I actually appreciated the dust effect since dust specks do get on my lenses from time to time, and it actually can look like that in real life.

Lulubop

This Chromatic Aberration shit is getting out of hand. Looking at Dying Light screens has completely put me off from actually buying it.

As mentioned earlier, basically any game that makes any real use of chromatic aberration.

Lords of the fallen is a particularly bad example of a game completely abusing it to the point where it was actually hard to look at.

At least they eventually realized the error and added the ability to disable it. Seriously, I'm not sure why any game developer would go to the work of making nice art and textures etc etc and then destroying it all with that terrible of a blur effect.

This thread reminded me that I wanted to try out Kane and Lynch Dog Days and hey, it's $5 on PSN right now.

The chromatic aberration in Killzone 2's menus got to me. But that game overall turned my eyes into jelly after playing it nonstop for a weekend.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think Kane & Lynch 2 gets a pass because it is very consciously going for the online cam footage aeshetic. I think it was very interesting how it pulled that off.

Now, the day I start seeing chromatic abberation applied to medieval fantasy games is the day I start truly weeping.

It's in Lords of the Fallen and is one of the worst implementations of the effect I've seen.

As someone who wears glasses, I actually appreciated the dust effect since dust specks do get on my lenses from time to time, and it actually can look like that in real life.
Yeah, I have glasses as well so I'm used to mentally filtering out stuff like that. I don't even notice until someone points it out.

Fuchsdh

Going back to replay Bioshock 2, I think the game really, really, really overuses the sort of "starglow" effects when the Big Sisters screech at you, there's some sort of explosion, or such. It's far more distracting than a simple glow.

I'm having a hard time finding an example in stills, though.

CanaryRob

The Max Payne 3 screen effects; which were lifted from 1 or two scenes from Man on Fire. They were used constantly through out cut scenes and the game. They were nice effects, but massively over used.

Coupled with the dialogue quotations, that would appear randomly on the screen, made the game feel like some amateur was trying to make a Linkin Park tribute video for YouTube in After Effects.

EDIT: Took too long to type, ekim beat me to it and gave a good example.

I still think Wind Waker's bloom fits the game quite well (sunny tropical environment) the only really awful effect in that game is when Link comes close to a light source and he looks like clay

DOWN

Banned
The Max Payne 3 screen effects; which were lifted from 1 or two scenes from Man on Fire. They were used constantly through out cut scenes and the game. They were nice effects, but massively over used.

Coupled with the dialogue quotations, that would appear randomly on the screen, made the game feel like some amateur was trying to make a Linkin Park tribute video for YouTube in After Effects.

EDIT: Took too long to type, ekim beat me to it and gave a good example.

This makes me wonder if people remember that the games are supposed to be presented in the style of a graphic novel on screen...

As I've come to learn from my VC Epilepsy thread, apparently a lot of people disliked the uber-cool and realistic flashing of the screen whenever an animal buddy carrying a flashlight would turn around in SNES Donkey Kong Country games. If you were amongst them, you'll be glad to hear that they removed the flash in the VC releases.

I still think Wind Waker's bloom fits the game quite well (sunny tropical environment) the only really awful effect in that game is when Link comes close to a light source and he looks like clay

Huh. After I saw that effect I kinda wanted new "Toon Link" Zelda to be clay-like.

OryoN

Overused specular highlights and reflection mapping.

Particularly, wet streets & walls almost everywhere for no good reason.

The vast amount of time it's not even raining, nor had rained. Just thrown in there because a memo must have went out saying gamers can't get enough of that sh!t. IMO, it's a really cheap trick - when overused - to cover up poor art and to fool the brain that the image is prettier than it actually is.

The screen effects were used to great effect in the latter parts of the game though,
my interpretation was that they're meant to be a visual representation of Max's sobriety and how his drinking can cloud his judgement and vision, and when he stops drinking and sobers up later in the game the visual effect is greatly reduced to make things look more clear.

Burt

All the post-process garbage in Battlefield 3. None of it looked good and most of it hurt gameplay.

So much this. Stopped me from playing, and from getting BF4.

No, I don't need to be completely blinded by a flashlight from someone on the other side of a field during the middle of the day, thanks.

tcrunch

Isn't those WW HD shots from the initial reveal? I heard something about the bloom being toned down a bit for the final version of the game. From the shots I've seen, the bloom doesn't look as bad as in those shots.
Wind Waker HD hasn't looked like that since the initial reveal. The bloom was toned down by release.

I've been playing it the past couple weeks and it still looks bad. It wasn't toned down enough, or as the other guy said it needs an option to be turned off completely. It's really distracting.

I'm really not a fan of those various types of pseudo-anti-aliasing, i.e. post-processing filters that don't really do proper anti-aliasing, but are just blurring the entire scenery. That's right, I'm looking at you, FXAA.

I know that implementing "real" anti-aliasing support can be rather tricky in modern engines, especially if you want to get rid of all types of aliasing, but that's no excuse for only offering a cheap FXAA option as so many games these days do.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I think bloom fits Wind Waker really well, but I think it's absolutely overused.

Here is Wind Waker emulated in Dolphin with bloom added through Sfx and I think it looks much better when applied more sparingly.

dolphin_exe_dx11_20141224_232041_by_aloooo81-d8b3qx4.jpg

I think bloom fits Wind Waker really well, but I think it's absolutely overused.

Here is Wind Waker emulated in Dolphin with bloom added through Sfx and I think it looks much better when applied more sparingly.

dolphin_exe_dx11_20141224_232041_by_aloooo81-d8b3qx4.jpg
I like the new added shadows in the world and how nice the grass looks in the HD version
Wind-Waker-HD.jpg

wind-waker-3.jpg

Blur.

I fucking hate blur, and the worst offending mother fucker for this? Perfect dark zero on the 360.
when you turn to the right the gun blurs on the right side of the gun.. you turn left and it blurs on the left side of the gun..

Brigandine's 3d battle animations

hqdefault.jpg

brigandine_monster_battle.jpg

Think like Fire Emblem animations but longer and with terrible models even for psx standards.

They were so bad they took them out of the Grand Edition I believe

digdug2k

Honestly, the new Zelda looks like crap. What's with these filters? Is that foggy effect supposed to represent smoke from the fire? Why is there so much bloom and flare? Not a fan of the artstyle either, the root thingies at the bottom on the enemy look bad. Are those shadows painted on?

SaE21xw.jpg

dvmMkoT.jpg

What is with the whiteness?
Lol. This reminds me of this. I think this gen looks like it will be the gen where everything is always wet:

14271474784_4e954d9fe5_o.jpg

Driveclub-Rain.jpg

ps4-hi-res-infamous-second-son-screenshots-mar1501.jpg

epmode

I prefer the flat shaded look of the original to the HD version. It's more of a cartoon approximation while HD doesn't try to hide the fact that you're looking at a 3D model.

notBald

ctrl+f "syndicate"
gaf, you dissapoint!

I'm very tolerant to bloom, but Syndicate is in a league of it's own.

Gamesradar wrote an article about it.

Gamesradar said:
Right, screw it. Syndicate, I am giving you no more excuses. This is just ridiculous. What the hell is causing the bloom in this room? What? Are my character's cyber-eyes covered in vaseline and cleaning agent from a recent polish and re-insertion? Right, the gloves are off. Let's see how deep this rabbit hole goes...(Spoiler: It goes DEEP)

zma1013

That thing in shooters where all the color in the screen goes away and it turns to black and white when you're low on health. "I can't see shit captain!" Hell, obviously if I'm low on health, I'm already getting my ass kicked, why pile on me more and make it so I can't see anything? Add to that the previously mentioned bloody screen and/or blurring effects that some games give you, why the F#$% did you make such a great looking game and then smear a bunch of effects all over the screen so that I can't see any of it? I'd be pissed if I were the art designers on these games.

jelly

Lots of things in Max Payne 3.

Basically any game that is copying a Tony Scott film.

Blood jam, thanks COD. Water droplets, dirt in your vision Horrible.

Red alert flashing light source.

Top Bottom