• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you're surprised are so cheap or so expensive

Like, Metroid Other M is $80. Wtf?
iQhaI4L4C5FTA.png

Other M is 10-15 bucks throughout my country. Whatever store is selling it for 80 bucks is ripping people off.

Xenoblade Chronicles on the other hand... Nintendo pls.

Nintendo tries to sell Pokemon HGSS for like $115 on amazon. I was like wtf!??! But you can get it used for $35.
I noticed Nintendo does this a lot, rip off artists.

Every season pass.

DLC shouldn't be that expensive. I'm looking at you destiny. The pass is almost the same price I paid for the vanilla version. If the content isn't remotely comparable, then the price should not be.

I could have sworn it was Amazon Market sellers doing that.

Yeah, it is. Amazon will just list the cheapest available New option fulfilled by them. Nintendo themselves doesn't sell games above MSRP.

I'm kind of surprised the F-Zero series is so cheap. Most high quality Nintendo games go for more.

Qasiel

Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64 goes for £110+ and that's pre-owned.

I mean, it's a great game but why is it so pricey? My friend still has his cart and manual (no box) and it's crazy how much he could get for them.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Counter example:

Final Fantasy XIII on PC. It's $16 on Steam (a little bit less during the pre-sale). Pretty good value for what was a full-fledged main entry on one of the most recognizable series in video game history, right? But then you see the quality of the port...

Expensive: Every old Nintendo game I got interested, and I don't even like most of the Mario franchises. Last one being Mother 3, a used copy for $70.
I was lucky to get a NIB copy of Xenoblade for $50 when it came out...
Cheap: square enix games as mention above, I was hyped but very busy when the new Tomb Raider came out, so bought 2 months late... for less than $20. Valkyrie chronicles for less than $20 too. They are both good games, how do the prices drop so fast?

jimi_dini

WKCbjB7.png
E9l8fqv.jpg

Both were released at an reduced price despite them being full of content. That's changed after they went OOP. Now they are insanely expensive.
I hope that there is going to be an Endless Ocean 3 on Wii U at some point.

Also:
ic7feC8.png

2 games for the price of one.

Every season pass.

Hyrule Warriors "season pass" and Mario Kart 8 "season pass" would like to have a word with you.

Glowsquid

The 2008 Incredible Hulk game (or at least the ps3 version) is like 50$ minimum used online, and I have no idea whty. It's far from being the most expansive thing mentioned in this thread, but it's one that genuinely puzzles me.

I remember trying to find Final Fantasy Tactics back in the day. I finally did, after months, and it was 120$.

Cartridge based games could get quite expensive also. Like 90$ for Virtua Racing.

Translated Ace Attorney games are worth their weight in gold in Europe.

I was able to grab the first and second for 18 € combined at my local gamestop in close to prestine condition....they are usually in the 40s each .
Trials and Tribulations goes for like 60 € on amazon.de right now.
I got lucky and got it for 30 :D !

Culex

Banned
I paid 80 dollars for Phantasy Star 4 when it first came out. That's like paying 120 dollars for a new game today.

You serious? That is great to know. Thank you!

Yes and you are welcome!
And I recommend watching "The Wonderful 101 System Breakdown" video(by Saur) because the game automatically assume you are a veteran hack n slash player and doesn't bother to explain its awesome combat system.

Dizzy

Banned
Calling on the Wii. Niche horror game by Hudson.

Good game IMO but the reviews for it were awful. I see it on ebay or amazon for £40 - £50.

The 2008 Incredible Hulk game (or at least the ps3 version) is like 50$ minimum used online, and I have no idea whty. It's far from being the most expansive thing mentioned in this thread, but it's one that genuinely puzzles me.

Where are you seeing this? It's $25 shipped on Amazon for a complete copy. In the US, at least.

Apt101

Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 can still be had for under $30 on-line, even though it's hard as hell to find locally and no one I have ever met who owned it will part with it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I bought MP Trilogy for $30 the day after I bought my Wii. I HATED the motion controls. I just wanted at least the option to play the first two games with a Gamecube controller, but it didn't even offer that, so I took it back to EB Games and told them it "just doesn't work...every other games works in my Wii, but this doesn't". Total lie, but I got my money back, and they probably turned around and sold it for double that. I can't believe people enjoy those controls.

I've never played Xenoblade because I don't feel I can afford it.

Xenoblade isn't a surprise at all - a limited, retailer-exclusive release in a genre desperate for new releases (and one whose games hold value VERY well), with amazing reviews at level of hype.

For me the biggest surprise is when I found out that Conker's Bad Fur Day CIB is worth ~$120. Picked that up a few years back for $5, and N64 prices seemingly haven't seen the huge spike that SNES ones did (though there's still always the one retro game store owner who feels fit to price Ocarina at $80+). Not to mention the game had a remake on Xbox soon after.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow PC gaming has really spoiled me on prices. I haven't considered $20 for a several year old game a good deal in a while. It could definitely be worth it, but I wouldn't consider it a good deal in most cases.

Eiolon

Personally, after living in a world where mobile games are free (with micro transactions) or up to $9.99 I find anything handheld to be way overpriced. But since iPad doesn't have Mario... whelp, you know...

TheContact

Really surprised how expensive Suikoden 2 is. I sold my copy on ebay a bunch of years ago for $120. I played through the game and while I thought it was really good I wouldn't pay $120 for it

G0523

Mega Man Legends: The Misadventures of Tron Bonne:

$90 used on Amazon, this game has become a collector's item. Legends is still a decent price, but Legends 2 is also expensive (although not nearly as astronomically so as this game) so anyone who missed out on this sub-series back in the day is going to find a giant cash wall blocking them from experiencing it now, because none of them are on PSN, either.

LOL. OP, did you click on the used price? If you want a DECENT copy you're gonna have to shell out $100+. Only one seller is selling it for $90. And it's disc only. Everyone else is selling it for at least $100. It's a triple-digit game.

Speaking of high priced games, I know that Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare and expensive game, but is it the most expensive used game ever? It's currently sitting at over $400 for a complete discs only copy and at least $500 for a complete copy! Absolutely insane!

Forkball

I saw Metroid Other M for $5 new at Best Buy on Black Friday in 2011. WHAT A DEAL

Meanwhile, Metroid Prime Trilogy is $65 used on Amazon.

Fhtagn

Speaking of high priced games, I know that Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare and expensive game, but is it the most expensive used game ever? It's currently sitting at over $400 for a complete discs only copy and at least $500 for a complete copy! Absolutely insane!

It's one of the pricier games that had a decent print run, but Kizuna Encounter for Neo Geo, PAL copy, is worth thousands.

Wikipedia:
"The European Neo-Geo homecart PAL release was rare, with less than 12 known copies, making it a sought-after item in video game collecting (the Japanese AES version is not rare and is identical except for the packaging and inserts).[1][2][3]"

Plenty of Nintendo games.

Like, Metroid Other M is $80. Wtf?
iQhaI4L4C5FTA.png

You can also still find some DS games that are $40.
That was at Wal-Mart in Canada wasn't. Lol I can see Sin and Punishment next to it, which was also ridiculously priced. The thing is, both of those could be found cheaper in other nearby stores... Like, a lot cheaper.

It's one of the pricier games that had a decent print run, but Kizuna Encounter for Neo Geo, PAL copy, is worth thousands.

Wikipedia:
"The European Neo-Geo homecart PAL release was rare, with less than 12 known copies, making it a sought-after item in video game collecting (the Japanese AES version is not rare and is identical except for the packaging and inserts).[1][2][3]"

LOL. OP, did you click on the used price? If you want a DECENT copy you're gonna have to shell out $100+. Only one seller is selling it for $90. And it's disc only. Everyone else is selling it for at least $100. It's a triple-digit game.

You can't talk about rare games without mentioning Stadium Events for the NES. You're paying $10k+ for a complete copy if you can find one. Aero Fighters for the SNES is a $1k+ complete game. There's a lot of NES/SNES stuff that blows away most of the stuff in this thread.

Mentioning Nintendo World Championship is practically cheating.

Hedgey

I recently moved to Japan and found some interesting waaay too expensive games. Gonna post prices roughly in USD.
Recca on the Famicom CIB, $550

Wild Guns SFC CIB, even more expensive than NA? About $630

Hard to see, but Gotcha Force is about $80 here. I thought it I would be able to find it cheaper here, but I guess there was no way.

Another infamous game, Gimmick on the Famicom. About $400

I don't even know what this is. Why it's $70 is beyond me.

Another weird example is Raiden Fighters on the 360. It's about $90 here but you can find it easily for $9 back in North America.
On the other side of things, TONS of games that are stupid expensive in North America are worth about a dollar here. Some examples of games I find in the 100 yen bin all the time are FF4-6, all the SFC dragon quest games, Tales games, Chrono Trigger etc.

Fhtagn

Yeah, that came up when I googled Kizuna Encounter PAL to see what it costs these days; apparently KE is in $10-13,000 territory now, up from $7,000 when I first heard about it.

PranooY

Every single Nintendo game (doesn't matter if it wii/3ds/ds) in my country is expensive, since ninty don't do business here and I gotta import, if I wish to play any of their games.

T_Exige

Tekken 2, I bought it for like 72 euro in 1998, but for all the content included it was worth every cent.

Top Bottom