• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't know received sequels

Jaeger

Sometimes it's timing, or just ignorance. Maybe the original game wasn't all that great, or it was passed on by the public at large. Maybe the sequel wasn't good. Or maybe the platform it landed on was a sinking ship? Whatever the reason, or how it came to be, what are some titles that got sequels you just weren't aware of (around the original release timeframe)?

These can be sequels. remakes, special editions (Greatest Hits, etc), or spiritual successors.

One that comes to mind is Nightmare Creatures, which got a sequel [Nightmare Creatures 2] on the Playstation and Dreamcast. I remember renting (thanks Blockbuster!) the original on Nintendo 64, and for whatever reason, never beating it. Well after some readin', I saw a sequel was made. When I am able I will have to play and beat both. It looks just as fun (and gory fun fun) to me as it did way back when.
WqDi76q.jpg
BqtZrPd.jpg

Eventually I'll have to do a LTTP on this.

Nightmare Creatures 2 was awesome. If memory serves me correctly. I remember climbing the Eiffel Tower chopping off monsters heads very violently with an axe if I recall.

Floridian

1.jpg

Had no idea this Tak game existed within the series until I just looked it up. It was a Wii/PS2 game apparently.

spadge

Hotel Dusk getting a sequel completely slipped under my radar. Only found out about it a few months ago and have yet to play it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For a long time, I didn't realize that there were Crash Bandicoot games following Twinsanity.

Coxswain

Not me personally, but I always wonder how many people actually knew that there was a sequel to Phantom Crash. Phantom Crash was a niche, but relatively well-known game in the early days of the original Xbox, but the only people I know who have heard of S.L.A.I. are the people who I've turned on to the game myself.

I knew about Star Raiders on Atari, and about Solaris. It took me a while to realize Solaris is a sequel to the other. The recycled box art gives it away though.

images

solaris.jpg

Interestingly, Star Raiders II does exist, but it wasn't programmed by the same guy and fans consider Solaris to be the true and only sequel.

mfRUXy_gEFQjvq6SrQmQD_g.jpg

Even more interesting, both Solaris and Star Raiders II almost became a licensed The Last Starfighter game, but the plans fell though and instead Iridium was ported from the C64 to NES and renamed The Last Starfighter.

Lijik

Ive only recently learned about the large amount of japan only Ape Escape spinoffs on the ps2 and psp. I thought it was just Ape Escape 2001 and the stuff that made it to US/Europe

Jawmuncher

A lot of people are always amazed that there was in fact a Dino Crisis 3. just goes to show how botched and buried that release was.

Jaeger

A lot of people are always amazed that there was in fact a Dino Crisis 3. just goes to show how botched and buried that release was.
\

Another one I have yet to play. Is it that bad?

epCdGvC.jpg

(Came out as Red Asphalt in the states)

...woah.

Nightmare Creatures 2 was awesome. If memory serves me correctly. I remember climbing the Eiffel Tower chopping off monsters heads very violently with an axe if I recall.

That's good to hear. I'm gonna give it a go. Appearance wise, I'm already a fan.

A_Gorilla

Banned
256px-Dinocrisis3box.jpg

Had no idea this existed until I saw it at the bargain bin at a Gamestop several years ago. After seeing vids of it, I quickly realized why...

sublimit

Banned
Wow OP what a coincidence! I was also searching for info about Nightmare Creatures just yesterday and i too,was surprised to learn that there was a second game!

I had no idea there was another Mushroom Men game in development and it was coming out this month.

Not as series I thought we get resurrected.

sarcoa

I used to be the biggest Virtual On fan. Rode my bike to a faraway movie theater to play the monster VO cabinet at the arcade. Bought the Saturn edition not long after it came out, mailed away for the NetLink Edition (packed with Sega Rally) whenever that was available. Paid my parents for long-distance costs associated with playing it online.

I used my first ever paycheck at my first ever real job to import Oratorio Tangram for Dreamcast, and when I actually made it to Japan in 2008 the only game I came back with was the Sega Ages PS2 Virtual On port.

That being said, whenever I see this:

ruXqZbT.jpg

I forget it ever existed.

Jawmuncher

Another one I have yet to play. Is it that bad?

...woah.

That's good to hear. I'm gonna give it a go. Appearance wise, I'm already a fan.
Bad to at best mediocre depending on tastes. Have never seen any give higher marks than just ok.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/82/Dinocrisis3box.jpg/256px-Dinocrisis3box.jpg[IMG]

Had no idea this existed until I saw it at the bargain bin at a Gamestop several years ago. After seeing vids of it, I quickly realized why...[/QUOTE]
I need to dig up what exactly the responses were at its unveiling. I remember just being confused.
[quote="BTHR Zero X, post: 154205582"]I have never seen the US Cover before, but man is it horrid the EU one was this

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FWXJFR9ML.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah it's odd that EU and JPN both got the clearly superior box art. Yet someone at Capcom thought "Alien Dino? Nah Americans want a generic white male and a girl with a space ship behind them to sell them on this game" straight looks like a quick Photoshop job.

------

To contribute and not roll into a DC3 my pick
is
[quote=][img]http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/4/9/7/19497_front.jpg
Sequel to a Xbox Launch title that I didn't even realize until now got a sequel. I don't even know if the first game was good. Just remember a video preview on a sampler disc I had with the Xbox.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Two recent discoveries, both of which happen to feature vehicular combat:

--The Vigilante 8 series is a very loose spinoff from the PC game Interstate '76 (which had its own official sequel, Insterstate '82), and the V8 engine was later reused for a (bad) Star Wars game.

--There's a weird Twisted Metal spinoff with super-deformed characters/cars that was released on the PSX sometime after Twisted Metal Black for PS2. I've never played it and can't even remember what it's called but it was apparently pretty bad, even by Twisted Metal standards.

Jawmuncher

Two recent discoveries, both of which happen to feature vehicular combat:

--The Vigilante 8 series is a very loose spinoff from the PC game Interstate '76 (which had its own official sequel, Insterstate '82), and the V8 engine was later reused for a (bad) Star Wars game.

--There's a weird Twisted Metal spinoff with super-deformed characters/cars that was released on the PSX sometime after Twisted Metal Black for PS2. I've never played it and can't even remember what it's called but it was apparently pretty bad, even by Twisted Metal standards.
Twisted metal small brawl

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Honestly had no idea Lords of Shadow 2 came out until I saw it in the store a few days ago.
I really enjoyed 1, tempted...

I used to be the biggest Virtual On fan. Rode my bike to a faraway movie theater to play the monster VO cabinet at the arcade. Bought the Saturn edition not long after it came out, mailed away for the NetLink Edition (packed with Sega Rally) whenever that was available. Paid my parents for long-distance costs associated with playing it online.

I used my first ever paycheck at my first ever real job to import Oratorio Tangram for Dreamcast, and when I actually made it to Japan in 2008 the only game I came back with was the Sega Ages PS2 Virtual On port.

That being said, whenever I see this:

ruXqZbT.jpg

I forget it ever existed.
I knew about Oratorio Tangram, and I too was a huge Virtual On fan having it on the Saturn.

I had no idea this was a thing, does not look good.

I think Shadow Man got a sequel.

I only played the first one but liked it a lot.

There is, and it was only released for the PS2.

Shadow_Man_Second_Coming.jpg

epCdGvC.jpg

(Came out as Red Asphalt in the states)

I knew about this game before it was released, but it was a title that I avoided for the longest time because I thought it looked like trash in screenshots and previews. I had a chance to play it not long ago just out of curiosity and it turns out that the game wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. It has a pretty competent 3D engine and it played alright. But it still left me disappointed because it wasn't the sequel I was hoping for.

Shadow_Man_Second_Coming.jpg

I found out about it about ten years after launch. The first one is one of my favourite N64 games, my favourite console. I just had a Gamecube at the time..
I tried hunting down a copy, but just couldn't find one. Is it good? Worth playing through?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I knew about it back in the day, but it was definitely a billion times more obscure than its predecessor, Zombies Ate My Neighbours.

Ie5c0sJ.jpg

kunonabi

Despite Wave Race being one of my favorite games of all time I didn't realize there was GC sequel until a few years ago.

Top Bottom