• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom awards 2015 winners - Platform enthusiasts create world's largest salt pile

oti

Banned
Brütal Legend.
Publisher: EA.
Bad RTS segments surprise everyone.

Unravel.
Publisher: EA.
Wins best Strategy Game of gamescom2015.

sherlock_holmes_in_public-domain.jpg

Steroyd

Best Console Game Sony Playstation
Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami Digital Entertainment)

Wut!?

Further reinforcing how stupid these awards are.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Oh come on lol

Withnail

To everyone struggling with this, the awards were voted on by a panel and the scores added up. No doubt all the great Xbox exclusives received some first place votes but TPP probably won that category by picking up a lot of second or third places.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think the reason MGS5 won for Xbox One is because some of the people that voted for Battlefront on PS4 voted for something like Halo for Xbox One, which split the votes & made MGS5 win that award.

AHA-Lambda

Awards like this make no sense, how?

And since when is Unravel a strategy game??

Setting aside the playstation and xbox awards for a minute, Unravel's pickup is easily the weirdest thing on the list. It looks like a fun little platformer, but in a show with Stellaris, XCOM 2, and a Halo Wars announcement, how on earth does it pick up best strategy game? It barely even qualifies! And that's if we're using the extremely generous "it's a game that has strategy in it," in which case, Battlefront probably should have picked that up too.

eerik9000

Awards like this make no sense, how?

Simple. Let's say there are five games up for nomination as the best Playstation game and there are 100 voters.

40 people vote for Battlefront
35 people vote for MGSV
15 people vote for Fallout 4
7 people vote for Tearaway
3 people vote for Until Dawn
Winner: Battlefront with 40 votes.

There are also five games nominated the best Xbox game and the voters are exactly the same.

The same 35 people vote for MGSV
The same 15 people vote for Fallout 4
20 of the 40 people who previously voted for Battlefront continue to vote for Battlefront
The other 20 will now vote for Halo 5
The 10 people who voted for Tearaway or Until Dawn will vote for Forza 6
Winner: MGSV with 35 votes

Orca

Funniest thing was Unravel as a strategy game, then this guy who somehow skips over the PS4 game also being a multi-plat to be concerned about the Xbox choice.

All in all, a thread that delivered about a bunch of awards that I more than likely wouldn't otherwise even hear about.

Setting aside the playstation and xbox awards for a minute, Unravel's pickup is easily the weirdest thing on the list. It looks like a fun little platformer, but in a show with Stellaris, XCOM 2, and a Halo Wars announcement, how on earth does it pick up best strategy game? It barely even qualifies! And that's if we're using the extremely generous "it's a game that has strategy in it," in which case, Battlefront probably should have picked that up too.
There's no way to wrap my head around this. I don't get how they can call it a strategy title, unless there's some footage that I've completely missed...

arhra

Games that were announced at Gamescom had literally zero chance to win, since the nominations list was finalized before the show even started, and no-one wants to ruin their big surprise by having it listed in the nominations before they can announce it.

The only other nominees for Strategy Game were Anno 2205, and "Crookz - The Big Heist", so I can kinda see why people might vote for Unravel.

Not that that makes it being nominated in the Strategy category any less baffling.

Top Bottom