• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Gamesindustry) Nintendo Switch to sell 40M units through 2020 - DFC Intel. report

LordRaptor

It will be interesting to see if they afford themselves of the opportunities that using an SoC presents. Down the line, they could have a Chromebox-esque unit that comes with a pro controller and just works on a TV. And a more portable 5.2 to 5.5 inch model that still docks and outputs to a TV. Since you do not use the tablet screen in tandem with the TV, it cannot really be a necessity that would ruin compatibility with a TV only unit.

I think this is not only likely but probable and part of the reason they went with a SOC for their unified development platform.
This is the company that released the Super Gameboy and GBA Player hardware addons, after all.

Anth0ny

That's not a lot, considering that they won't be selling two different devices.

this is important to remember as well

for the foreseeable future, they will only be selling one platform instead of two

Switch sales will be a sharp drop from Wii U + 3DS sales

Is this how it's going to be for the entire Switch life cycle when if you argue from the point of view of being a handheld Nintendo fans say it's a home console and if you argue from a home console point of view they say it's a handheld.

Perpetually moving goal posts.

Pretty much this.

Specs. "It's a handheld.

Something else. "Its a home console"

Rival

Gold Member
History repeats itself. How many Wii U's were supposed to sell? Remember how every quarter they were lowering the projected amount sold by millions?

Speely

Banned
Pretty much this.

Specs. "It's a handheld.

Something else. "Its a home console"

That's because some folks put zero value on anything but specs and price. Numbers. It's harder to quantify the value of a platform that offers unique experiences. A hybrid invites differing perspectives by virtue of offering differing experiences. That said, it could go either really horribly or really well.

Nintendo has an example of both with their last two consoles.

badb0y

Nah, I am putting it at 30 million unless they price drop drastically or release mobile only SKU. Price for the system is way to high, mobile gaming is much bigger, and the HD twins cost less than the Switch.

I don't think 40 million is a reachable estimate. In all honesty the GameCube had more going for it (some of Nintendo's best games of all time, decent third party support, low price, high profile exclusives from Sega, Capcom and Square Enix, technically proficient hardware on par with the competition, amazing games from now dormant franchises like Metroid Prime and F Zero GX) and still only managed 20 million units coming a distant third that generation. Switch won't be another Wii U but it'll struggle to match the GameCube at its current price level, with its foreseeable line-up of games and zero third party support which might be the killing blow unless something drastic changes in the near future.

I'd love to be wrong as I want Nintendo to succeed but I think even 30 million would be a miracle. And we're talking LTD here, not just until 2020.

Josh5890

Maybe if they release a mid-cycle upgrade that has voice chat built in, more powerful graphics, and healthy 3rd party support. I just don't see how the Switch can have near the same level of success as PS4 in its current form.

I just had a thought. What if Nintendo is planning on new iterations of the Switch where it is a new tablet (more powerful), but it works with all of the old accessories (dock, joycons, ect). Just buy a new tablet and use it with the rest

Kyzer

Banned
Its a handheld and a console. Thats the whole point of the damn switch. How are people still arguing about this lmao

CCIE

Banned
Sorry, as much as I love GAF, it is overrun with graphic elitists who will dismiss the Switch out of hand. I could totally believe these numbers. Graphics aren't everything to most. Look at the mobile market for an inkling of what I'm talking about

At it's current price, I'm feeling 20 million. That said, I expect Nintendo to drop that price if sales stagnate, like they did with the 3DS, bringing that to 30 million. I'm still going to go south of that until Nintendo begins to turn the ship around.

Success is not out of reach, Nintendo just has to realize that it isn't playing from a position of strength right now.

Remember, these are the lifetime sales numbers:

Home
  • NES: 61 million
  • Super NES: 49 million
  • N64: 32 million
  • GameCube: 21 million
  • Wii: 101 million
  • Wii U: 13 million

Console
  • Game Boy: 118 million
  • GBA: 81 million
  • DS: 154 million
  • 3DS: 61 million

Actually, given those numbers, the Wii is an outlier in a clear trend. And portable sales are high, but variable as hell.

Sorry, as much as I love GAF, it is overrun with graphic elitists who will dismiss the Switch out of hand. I could totally believe these numbers. Graphics aren't everything to most. Look at the mobile market for an inkling of what I'm talking about

The mobile market you're talking about is the other thing Nintendo is competing against. The company is attempting to thread the needle between the two sides.

qko

So this is the nail in the coffin. A conservative prediction putting the Switch slightly at around Xbox One lifetime sales. This is what made Nintendo go mobile. I'm glad I was here to witness it.

CCIE

Banned
The mobile market is king in Japan... I'm pretty sure Nintendo has recognized this. Fire Emblem Heroes will probably outsell Switch by a rather significant margin. I expect almost half of their teams to be working on mobile games in the near future.

If Switch fails, I expect them to go fully mobile. Same goes for Square

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How about 25m?

If it was $250 with game I would believe 35m-40m

My guess is at the most optimistic 25 to 30 million.

It would hypothetically be on pace with XB1 counting all regions XB1 is weak in selling at a steady pace

The mobile market is king in Japan... I'm pretty sure Nintendo has recognized this. Fire Emblem Heroes will probably outsell Switch by a rather significant margin. I expect almost half of their teams to be working on mobile games in the near future.

If Switch fails, I expect them to go fully mobile. Same goes for Square

Considering its a free app, it's not hard to?

CCIE

Banned
I don't think you understand "free" apps. Most people spend WAY more on mobile games than they do on commercial games. In Japan, the spending is borderline insane

NolbertoS

Like I said in another thread. I think its doable for Nintendo. If they can get half the 3DS userbase to purchase the 3DS successor, they would be in good position to get a huge market share. I think nintendo checked Sony in chess terms and could check mate unless Sony created a hybrid or gets an insane amount of consumers buying PSVR

kyser73

Curious, since you're from the UK, are you more nostalgic for early PC stuff? Or something totally different?

Games I have nostalgia from youth for:

Starstrike 2 - ZX Spectrum
Dropzone, Paradroid,Parallax, Delta, Iridis Alpha -all C64
Carrier Command, The Sentinel, Stunt Car Racer, Starglider 2 - Amiga.

A couple of Megadrive games and after that it's been Sony all the way.

Generally I'm not too bothered about old games, and Nintendo IPS barely exist other than Mario 64 & Zelda OOT as the N64 is the only Ninty console I've owned. Oh, I did have a game boy that was exclusively a Tetris machine.

Apathy

At it's current price, I'm feeling 20 million. That said, I expect Nintendo to drop that price if sales stagnate, like they did with the 3DS, bringing that to 30 million. I'm still going to go south of that until Nintendo begins to turn the ship around.

Success is not out of reach, Nintendo just has to realize that it isn't playing from a position of strength right now.

Remember, these are the lifetime sales numbers:

Home

Console

Actually, given those numbers, the Wii is an outlier in a clear trend. And portable sales are high, but variable as hell.

The mobile market you're talking about is the other thing Nintendo is competing against. The company is attempting to thread the needle between the two sides.

do you mean 20m by 2020 or 20m lifetime? If they come out and say the next pokemon game is exclusive to this and no 3ds version, this thing is going to go way above 20m lifetime

Hahaha 40 million? High as fuck. Half that IF they bring out a Pokémon game a full fledged one at that so none of this stadium or take a photo safari junk and not late next year.

Unless Nintendo slashes its prices on accessories and starts pumping out high quality games it won't even get close to half. Third party support is a joke and frankly it seems even worse than Wii U third party support at this point. Without the big third party franchises the Switch just doesn't have a shot at 40 million at all.

The knee jerk popularity of these "figures" is always laughable. Ask how that big old "60 million consoles" goal Microsoft had going is.. and that console had all the big third party support it needed.

Nintendo should have just made a powerful home console , got all the real third party franchises on board and started unleashing its horde of amazing first part titles and it would have destroyed the PlayStation and Xbox. I'm not even talking 4k or anything like it. Just make a home console that can do 1080p 60 fps and you would have solid well over 40 million. But Nintendo doesn't like money that way I guess. They would rather fail and blame it on gamers instead. The ignorance level at Nintendo is astounding.

Despite my shitting all on Nintendo I am buying a Switch just because I honestly believe it'll be the last Nintendo home console (well hybrid).

do you mean 20m by 2020 or 20m lifetime? If they come out and say the next pokemon game is exclusive to this and no 3ds version, this thing is going to go way above 20m lifetime

That's a matter of "when." I am expecting some interesting surprises in Nintendo's lineup after 2016 and beyond.

120v

it's important to keep in mind this is going to be the sole console to play nintendo games going into the end of the decade

40 mil may look generous coming off wii u and conference de-hype but anything significantly less would mean tens of millions walking away from pokemon, smash, mario kart, ect. it's possible, but i don't particularly see that happening

By 2020, given that was the stipulation in the article.

Pokemon X and Y came out worldwide on October 2013. The 3DS launched in 2011, so it didn't get an exclusive Pokemon until two years into its lifespan.

Major entries in the Pokemon series tend to be about 3-4 years apart. We may get a Sun/Moon variant on the Switch this year, but a 3DS exclusive generation would likely be in 2019. More likely is Stars and then perhaps a remake version of Diamond/Pearl for 3DS and Switch in 2018. Assuming 2019 for the exclusive Pokemon (with a price drop) is part of the bet I'm mentally hedging for 30 million. 20 million is if Nintendo holds fast on $299.

Monster Hunter is a better bet following the same mental math, by the by. The first full new Monster Hunter for 3DS was MH4 in 2013. Before that the all-new releases wer Monster Hunter Tri in 2009 and MH Portable 3rd in 2010 (weird outlier); after was Monster Hunter X/Generations in 2015. 2017 is Monster Hunter XX, so either we'll get a Switch port sometime after its March release, or Monster Hunter Next will be in 2018. The question is, "Will Monster Hunter Next be Switch only, or a 3DS/Switch release?" I'm leaning towards the latter, but that's up in the air.

So, exclusive Monster Hunter in 2018 maybe, and exclusive Pokemon in 2019. That's just were my mind is going. GameFreak and Capcom could surprise, but these are my self bets, given that both companies tend to go where the money is first (read: 3DS for the time being).

40 million in four years seems a bit conservative for the first all-in-one Nintendo box. That number would probably be a bit disappointing for the company.

Lol there is just no way. I'd say 20 max unless there is a price drop or they bundle in Zelda for free. 17-18 seems more realistic
I have seen similar posts in this thread. Do people seriously think that Nintendo will "do a Wii U" and let it coast to oblivion after the second year of its lifetime? The Frankstein-ish nature of the Wii U gave Nintendo grief on what to do with the system once it didn't take off, but I would expect new revisions and possibly new form factors/upgrades of the Switch to be released before 2020.

The Switch is a big part of Nintendo's present and future, and I believe Nintendo will fight harder to keep it around than some posters think.

suaveric

History repeats itself. How many Wii U's were supposed to sell? Remember how every quarter they were lowering the projected amount sold by millions?

Nintendo's internal projections were pretty out there if I remember correctly. They expected to sell 10 million Wii U in either the first calander year or by the end of their fiscal year, which would have been an even crazier 4 month time span.

This was after the Wii's sales had dropped off a cliff. How could they not see the Wii U bomb coming is beyond me.

Cerium

it will be lucky if it sells HALF that number.

once the initial rush of the preorders sell and all the diehards get one, sales are going to dive like a rock, just like the Wii U did.

that said, i bought a Wii U after that first price drop happened, and was totally happy with it because it wasn't my primary console.
if it had been my primary i would have been supremely disappointed.

What price drop?

jonno394

The 3ds sold 4.2m or there Abouts by the end of December in its first year. If Switch can repeat that then I'd say 12-15 in Japan alone by December 31st 2020 is entirely possible. So dependant on world wide interest in the device, 20m is the baseline imo and if the device takes off worldwide, 40m is achievable.

A few things to consider regarding Japan, the first year of 3DS saw a 10000 yen price drop. Also the 3DS didn't see a mainline Pokémon game until 2 years into its life with a new Pokémon game appearing on the DS over 12 months into the 3DS life, which would have meant many had no reason to upgrade from the old to the new for a very long time. Now, would the price drop have been entirely necessary that quickly if an exclusive mainline pokemon game had launched within the first year? Who knows.

If Pokemon Stars is indeed an exclusive for the Switch then i can see it repeating the first year sales of the 3DS in Japan. even though it isn't a brand new generation game it has the potential to sell by the boatload if previous third version sales are anything to go by. Then the price cut can come a bit later, so early 2018.

If Pokemon Stars is not real or is not exclusive then it scuppers things imo. As too does the fact that the next Monster Hunter game is a 3DS title. An enhanced late Switch port in late 2017 could help things but looking at the port of Monster Hunter 3 that the 3DS received, it was not a huge seller out of the gate (edit 1m in less than a month.. Maybe that is big enough but not comparable to the 1.75m launch of MH4) so who knows the effect it could have. No Pokémon game means imo another price drop may be needed in Japan to hit similar first year figures of the 3ds.

In conclusion, a lot of things need to happen and within the right timeframes, but i believe the potential is there for it to be a big success in Japan (at least).

Raiden

Banned
Even 10 million by 2020 seems impossible. The reaction on GAF is what, 90-95% fiercely negative? You keep seeing people over and over say they are cancelling their preorders even. No way the first day will sell through with all those cancellations either at this point honestly.

1-1.5 mil of the initial 2 million day one sold out is a safe bet yeah?

Gaf makes up like 0,0001% of the people that will buy this thing. If they get a steady flow of games and a library like that of the 3DS this thing will sell like crazy.

Well, one would hope this is going to be a game-focused device. That's what I meant by "all-in one".

Of course they do, for all we know they don't even offer any TV options like Netflix in the first place.

It'll be your single destination for Nintendo software.

In the future, maybe, but for now those who want to play on the move can do that by playing on a $100 2DS or a $150 3DS, which both offer a great games library already and games which cost significantly less than their Switch counterparts.

If Nintendo keeps 2DS/3DS in the forseeable future, a $250+ Switch is going to have a hard time catering those who just want a new handheld.

In the future, maybe, but for now those who want to play on the move can do that by playing on a $100 2DS or a $150 3DS, which both offer a great games library already and games which cost significantly less than their Switch counterparts.

If Nintendo keeps 2DS/3DS in the forseeable future, a $250+ Switch is going to have a hard time catering those who just want a new handheld.

Yes. Which is what this article is about. The future.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
they probably are. anybody buying nintendo hardware at this point probably doesn't care much about being 'ripped off'

I bought every single Nintendo console from the SNES onwards including WiiU. I have reached my limit relative to Nintendo's bullshit.

They talk a good game but simply can't deliver.

Let's talk about what's missing from the Switch to make it a compelling platform for folks that are rich techheads and Nintendo fanboys.

A decent resolution screen for folks to view Facebook etc...
A plethora of streaming apps like Netflix
Decent social abilities like recording your gaming and streaming it.
Native voice chat
Decent Third party support

etc... All these need to be in place for a platform to succeed and the fact that Nintendo was forced to rush this out the gate in this state due to the failure of their last platform speaks volumes of the fear and panic at Nintendo right now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
'Most parents had a SNES.' - I'm a parent and grew up in the UK so didn't. None of those games really resonate with me.

As a parent who now lives in Australia my kids already use the house iPads & my PS4, so please tell me where my incentive to splash out over $700 on games, extra controllers etc is coming from?
Just saw this new Capcom interview on IGN:
“The Switch caters to a wide audience, and the people who played the original Street Fighter 2 on Super Nintendo are used to the retro-style graphics. Those players are now 30, 40, 50 years old, and they have become parents who are getting their kids into gaming, too. By adding the retro graphics, you give the older crowd a sense of nostalgia and remind them of the original."
That's what I meant. I didn't say ALL parents aged 40 had a SNES, but that most current 40+ years old gamers were exposed to its games. Replace "most" by dozens of millions", I'm fine with that change, it's probably better worded indeed.

PSFan

Home

Console

Looking at those numbers, it's also pretty clear that the DS is an outlier as well. Their handheld business is in the same boat as the console business. Both steadily trending downward, with one outlying spike (Wii and DS). It's going to be very interesting to see how the Switch fares.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo fanboys.
[...]
the fact that Nintendo was forced to rush this out the gate in this state due to the failure of their last platform speaks volumes of the fear and panic at Nintendo right now.
FUD.

PS4 is the only Playstation console I didn't buy, no killer app for me and I prefer the Wii U Pro controller on my better spec PC. But you won't see me spread negativity in PS4 threads like you do there.

Top Bottom