• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Ver. of Monster Hunter XX to US (at this time)

Chindogg

The venom is this topic is palpable

Its like you 3DS guys forgot how much shit you gave all the people who didnt enjoy the 3DS era

We are on your side and I think the entire MH fanbase got excited by the switch port. Pretty sure all of us can agree we wanted XX to come over

That said.. shitting on MHW and what it represents is pretty vile at the same time

We should have gotten both and we may still get both

If I can trudge through the 6 nasty years of 3DS exclusivity im sure you guys can tolerate waiting a year for a portable version. We do need to let Capcom know loud and clear that we want ALL games.

#whynotboth

Just about everyone in the thread's saying both.

Take your persecution complex and console warrior garbage to the World thread.

Switch is region free.

I can't read Japanese...

No matter how you look at it, I'm beyond salty when it comes to the way Capcom has treated MH fans lately. It's fine they try to expand the audience. To do it while excluding those who made the franchise (hell, even Capcom themselves) survived for these last years, and on the top of that, even refusing to half localize a game fans have been waiting for is borderline insulting. MH Stories will probably bomb, how can they prioritize it over xx Switch?!?

Sorry for this salt, I was banned during E3 and need to vent a little :)

Well, life goes on, I will miss MH.

I wonder if this is Capcom trying to make sure that the newest PS4/X1 game does not get overshadowed by MHXX

regardless my PS4 is ready for a MH.

I will just have to set up a JP account on my Switch, I am sure fans will put out guides for the menus and other text to get around well enough. Not ideal though that is for sure

I wonder if this is Capcom trying to make sure that the newest PS4/X1 game does not get overshadowed by MHXX

regardless my PS4 is ready for a MH.

I will just have to set up a JP account on my Switch, I am sure fans will put out guides for the menus and other text to get around well enough. Not ideal though that is for sure

I feel overshadowed is too strong a word, but it feels like Capcom is very deliberately trying to ensure that MHW becomes THE Monster Hunter game, especially in the West.

This is particularly important since MHW represents a significant departure from the popular image of what Monster Hunter is, and a release of both MHXX and MHW in a fairly short timeline could cause confusion as to where the main series is going. There's also the effect of funneling all potential fans and players to MHW to further consolidate it's position as the next evolution of Monster Hunter.

Japan has proven a big enough market to sustain MHXX and MHW. The West has not. Keep in mind that the best performance a MH has done in the West is 1 million, which is decent, but not the kind of number that can sustain yearly iterative games. And if you're going to cull one, MHXX is the easy choice.

Theswweet

Importing both MHX and MHXX for my 3DS paid off, since I'll be able to easily transfer my saves to Switch, and I'm already used to reading the Japanese... if anything, with the text being at a proper resolution, It'll be easier to make heads or tails of things.

daffy

Banned
I dunno guys.. generations was okay. I'm more excited about a brand new monhun than a souped up ultra version. I get the Switch angle of course but it seems like that's its saving grace

I feel overshadowed is too strong a word, but it feels like Capcom is very deliberately trying to ensure that MHW becomes THE Monster Hunter game, especially in the West.

This is particularly important since MHW represents a significant departure from the popular image of what Monster Hunter is, and a release of both MHXX and MHW in a fairly short timeline could cause confusion as to where the main series is going. There's also the effect of funneling all potential fans and players to MHW to further consolidate it's position as the next evolution of Monster Hunter.

Japan has proven a big enough market to sustain MHXX and MHW. The West has not. Keep in mind that the best performance a MH has done in the West is 1 million, which is decent, but not the kind of number that can sustain yearly iterative games. And if you're going to cull one, MHXX is the easy choice.

Around 1.4-1.5 million for 4U to be exact.

I was looking forward to diving into Monster Hunter for the first time with Switch. I hope that Capcom will change their tune and bring something over to North America. I'm actually surprised that they haven't committed to it yet. It sort of seems like they're just throwing money away, but what do I know?

sensui-tomo

pfff... 30fps...
keep disappointing Capcom

wouldnt be able to do crossplay if it went 60, cant have switch playing with 3ds on an uneven fps rate. (this is why god eater was locked at 30 on the ps4/psv stuff and why pc hit that good 60 fps (but suffered a lower userbase due to no crossplay)

Eolz

At that point they might as well be localizing the next portable MH game

This. Honestly, unless Capcom or Nintendo announces some surprise release before this fall, there'll just be no western release of XX.
If World does lower than expected, I believe we'll get the next portable game at least though.

Effect

At that point Capcom can fuck off.

Waiting for something that's already translated is ridiculous.
One shouldn't wait that long. I hope people will have told Capcom to fuck off long before that. People also should remember this more then about Monster Hunter. It's about Capcom and all their decisions in regard to the Switch. MH is just part of a larger issue. It also won't be the last thing to piss people off.

This. Honestly, unless Capcom or Nintendo announces some surprise release before this fall, there'll just be no western release of XX.
If World does lower than expected, I believe we'll get the next portable game at least though.
We'll get the next portable game (assuming it's MHPW for Switch) regardless.

They're skipping this one because they don't want to distract from MHW in the west (as stupid as that may be). Even if MHW lights the world on fire, I'd be shocked if we didn't get future mobile releases. Hopefully they do global releases from now on or the series won't catch on in the West as much as they hope. No one likes to have to wonder if the next one will be localised.

jorgejjvr

World not on switch is weird, the switch is still a console. And it makes sense since portability has always played a big role in the series.

Even weirder not getting XX on switch for other regions

It's like they don't want to make money

Hybris

wouldnt be able to do crossplay if it went 60, cant have switch playing with 3ds on an uneven fps rate. (this is why god eater was locked at 30 on the ps4/psv stuff and why pc hit that good 60 fps (but suffered a lower userbase due to no crossplay)

I mean this doesn't have to be the case, and if it is, then they did some really janky shit in the code for this. More likely that they fucked up and tied certain game logic things to framerate because they didn't think this was going on any other platforms besides 3DS.

Eolz

We'll get the next portable game (assuming it's MHPW for Switch) regardless.

They're skipping this one because they don't want to distract from MHW in the west (as stupid as that may be). Even if MHW lights the world on fire, I'd be shocked if we didn't get future mobile releases. Hopefully they do global releases from now on or the series won't catch on in the West as much as they hope. No one likes to have to wonder if the next one will be localised.

Ehhh.
If World is a success, I see no reason why the current Capcom would care about Portable MonHun in the West.

Ehhh.
If World is a success, I see no reason why the current Capcom would care about Portable MonHun in the West.
If the Switch is successful, it wouldn't make much sense to skip it. But I guess this is Capcom.

Right now, yeah, it might not be worth the cost for a Switch MHW. In a year or two though, especially if they have already done the majority of the work for a Switch game in Japan? I could definitely see a Western release.

MH4U runs at a higher framerate on new 3DS vs the original. Cross play not an issue there.

Eusis

Ehhh.
Do you realize how little sense this makes? Game does well, therefore DON'T capitalize on success and release more? More likely if it's a failure they won't want to bother with future games, though they may prefer a safe established gamble anyway. If MHW is at least modestly successful and the Switch doesn't spontaneously keel over it'd be worth bringing out at least future games even if XX is written off as a lost cause.

Eolz

Do you realize how little sense this makes? Game does well, therefore DON'T capitalize on success and release more? More likely if it's a failure they won't want to bother with future games, though they may prefer a safe established gamble anyway. If MHW is at least modestly successful and the Switch doesn't spontaneously keel over it'd be worth bringing out at least future games even if XX is written off as a lost cause.

Do you realize we're talking about Capcom?

Eusis

Do you realize we're talking about Capcom?
Even then it'd be that or future releases are purely on arbitrary whim. I don't think they've ever actually shown a tendency of "X is successful here, therefore don't localize X related game on relevant other platforms."

Malakai

Very easy to blame handhelds when Capcom themselves never put real effort behind the 3DS games in the west.

The long wait for localizations, no collaborations tailored for Western market, no presence outside of Nintendo events, no marketing campaign outside of basic blog posts... the list goes on and on.

But guess what, they still sold close to or over 1 million copies. The franchise has never been more popular!

If not for Nintendo those games wouldn't have seen see the light of the day. It's pathetic how much Capcom relied on them.

So please, miss the 3DS and redirect your anger to Capcom.

So, much this right here. So, Capcom can release MH World globally with a major push but take years to localize the handheld variants?

Top Bottom