• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot lay-offs 2014

I haven't visited Gamespot since the Kane and Lynch scandal, so I really don't care for the organization. I hope these people land on their feet, however.

Yeah. They were my mainstay for a while back in the day, before 1up then Giant Bomb, but that scandal kind of killed them for me. I've only checked them out a couple of times since then.

BearPawB

Banned
Kevin VanOrd ‏@fiddlecub 1m
Somehow, I am in the tiny group of GameSpot authors still left standing. People I love will not be greeting me each day.

Good for Kevin. He is one of my favs.

Few points:

1. There's no way Carolyn's layoff was a result of her TLOU:R review. Reviews are always submitted to a chief editor before publication - they can't and wouldn't lay blame with her for writing her opinion.

2. Gamespot has not been interesting for ages since the days of the now-GiantBomb staff. I get most of my Nintendo/MS news from GAF and go to IGN for my Sony stuff because of Colin Moriarty (Mitch/Ryan are their XBOX guys and I can't fucking stand them

3. Regardless of how you feel about any of the people leaving GS, they are human beings and I'm sure are all great people even if you don't agree with some of their points. Wish them all the best of luck

We don't now who the other lay offs are yet...
I like how the thread title suggests it's a yearly custom.
Ha.

Cartman86

Banned
Kevin VanOrd on Twitter just now.

Somehow, I am in the tiny group of GameSpot authors still left standing. People I love will not be greeting me each day.

Makes it sound like it's more than I initially thought. Is this editorial? More focus on strictly video personalities as opposed to writing?

Celegus

Glad Kevin is still there, hopefully we still have Tom, Danny, and Chris (and everyone else too, layoffs suck!). Sorry to hear about Caro.

JLeack

Banned

Yeah he's great. I particularly like his video reviews.

OuterLimits

It makes no sense to let her go. Her reviews may have brought heated debate, but that is exactly what helped bring more views to the site.

Velcro Fly

I disagree with some of the stuff Carolyn Petit wrote but I wish her and others the best. I know what it's like to be unemployed and don't wish that on anyone.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't agree Carolyn but obviously didn't want her to lose her job, so I hope she finds gainful employment somewhere else in this industry. Best of luck to all Gamespot employees who have lost their jobs.

Zaph

Yup, that kinda confirms they're going all-in on video. From a financial perspective it's just too enticing to replace writers with freelancers.

tmarques

Few points:

1. There's no way Carolyn's layoff was a result of her TLOU:R review. Reviews are always submitted to a chief editor before publication - they can't and wouldn't lay blame with her for writing her opinion.

Let me guess, she gave it an 8. I haven't visited GS in a while, but it seemed like every major release got an automatic 8 last time I checked.

BearPawB

Banned
Tom Mc Shea ‏@TomMcShea 57s
Today was my last at GameSpot. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to work with the last six years.

Quentyn

Gi.biz says the layoffs are significant and that they extend beyond editorial.

Consumer gaming site GameSpot has undergone a significant round of layoffs, GamesIndustry.biz has learned.

Now-former GameSpot reviewer Carolyn Petit confirmed the news in a series of posts on Twitter, saying, "Today was my last day at GameSpot. It was a dream to work there, and I'm very proud of the work I did. I walk out alongside some colleagues I am honored and privileged to have worked with. And I will miss working with everyone at GS so much."

GameSpot is the flagship gaming brand at CBS Interactive, which also owns Giant Bomb, GameFAQs, and onGamers. CBSi touts GameSpot as streaming 50 million hours of live gaming content every month, with 25 million monthly visitors across its gaming platforms.

The full extent of the cuts is not clear yet, but they extended beyond the editorial team. Representatives with GameSpot and parent company CBS had not returned requests for comment as of this writing.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-30-layoffs-at-gamespot

Best to all that are affected by this.

lefantome

Well, she saw it as a glorification of misogyny. "Misogynistic escapism" for lack of a better phrase.

That was her observation and she put it in her review of the game.

She's not wrong. She just sees it from a different perspective.

You and I both see it as satire. It's really all of the above.

Everyone has their opinions and everyone could review anything but that doesn't make everyone a good reviewer/critic.(I'm not implying anything in regard of Carolyn).

I could see Guernica by Picasso as the glorification of war but I won't be taken seriously, rightfully.

Shame that so many gaming companies and gaming news websites are seeing such cutbacks in an industry that's thriving.

I wish everyone the best; you have all contributing to my hobby in more ways than one.

Godspeed.

erawsd

It makes no sense to let her go. Her reviews may have brought heated debate, but that is exactly what helped bring more views to the site.

I think its a matter of them moving toward a more video focused site since people tend not to read content anymore. Carolyn was a good writer but not a great "on air personality".

Cygnus

Banned
I think its a matter of them moving toward a more video focused site since people tend not to read content anymore. Carolyn was a good writer but not a great "on air personality".

I find that odd, written reviews are often much more detailed, especially considering how short Gamespot reviews generally are.

I find that odd, written reviews are often much more detailed, especially considering how short Gamespot reviews generally are.

But we're in an age where someone can instead go on Youtube and find a Let's Play or Quick Look. That's what they're fighting against.

You overestimate how much people actually care about the quality of reviews. Enough review threads have shown that all many people actually care about is a review that agrees with their preconceptions.

Always sad to read that people have lost their jobs. Hope they find quick employment.

Although the site redesign (the forums also) wasn't the best idea. Lost a lot of community.

Quentyn

Official word from from Gamespot. Read from bottom to top.

sJhaJtd.png

https://twitter.com/BrendanSinclair

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Petit was/is a great writer. Wish all of them the best, even if I didn't always agree with their take on things. Sucks to be layed off :(

Top Bottom