• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Talks Scorpio, PS4 Pro, 4K Resolution, and More

GameSpot did a recent interview with Phil Spencer at the Australia EB Expo: Gamespot: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Talks Scorpio, PS4 Pro, 4K Resolution, and More

A few quotes that I found interesting:
On their decision to release Scorpio in 2017 vs 2016:
GameSpot: Sony recently announced the PS4 Pro. What was initial your reaction to the announcement? It's coming out a year before Xbox Scorpio; how does that affect your plans, if at all?

Spencer: It didn't affect our plan at all. About two and a half years ago we started to look at a hardware refresh that we might want to do, which in the end led to the Xbox One S and Scorpio in terms of designs. We'd looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I'd say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought--with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year--that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different. So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

On pricing of Scorpio:
We're not announcing price here. I guess I'd just say we announced the Xbox One S and it's out in market at $399 [in Australia]. We expect both of these products to be in market at the same time, and that there's a clear performance difference and obviously there will be a price difference between the two things. But I also want people to understand that Scorpio is going to be a premium console. Like, I'm not trying to sell you a high-end gaming PC rig for a couple of thousand dollars or something. We look at consumer price points of consoles and definitely our target is to hit that. But it will be a premium version of an Xbox One and we'll talk more about pricing as we're cutting it closer to the launch and everything else. But I'm confident that we'll be able to deliver a product at a price point that gamers will feel like is worth it.

On console wars and their recent tone:
GameSpot: After Sony announced PS4 Pro, the Xbox social media channels jabbed at the console's lack of a 4K Blu-ray player. Does this erase some of the goodwill you were trying to build up by being anti-console war?

Spencer: I am of two minds on this one. We have a 4K UHD blu-ray drive in our Xbox One S. I think us stating a feature that we have in our box that we think is an important selling feature of our box is completely within fair game. It is a feature of our box and for somebody to look and say that talking about the features that you decide… I mean, we made a bet on a 4K blu-ray disc, and they didn't. And I'm not saying they made the wrong decision and we made the right decision, but if somebody wants a 4K UHD blu-ray drive we have a console that has one, then we're going to make sure that people know that. And if people say that that's console wars, I think they're wrong.

We should be able to talk about the features that are in our box, but I also want to be respectful of what other companies are doing. And I don't think we crossed the line there, but as it was going on I also made sure that we remain respectful. Confident, but respectful of what other people are doing. But I don't want anybody to ever try to put us in a box of, "Hey, you've got a feature but because somebody else doesn't have it you can't talk about it," and somehow that's unfair and console wars-like. Because I don't believe that. I will always be respectful of my friends at the other platform holders; Nintendo, Sony. I have a lot of friends at Sony and Nintendo and both those companies are doing their best to deliver products based on their vision and I respect that. We're doing the same. You won't see me bad-mouth what the other platforms are doing but I am proud of the product decisions that we make and I think that we should be able to talk about it.

GameSpot: Social media is a funny thing. I think gamers like to see that sort of banter go down.

Spencer: And I don't. I've been vocal about that as well. I'll turn it around now. Like, when ReCore came out and there were some of the lower scores that were given, I would have PlayStation fans tweet me, happy that ReCore wasn't getting great review scores from some outlets. I just thought it was such a negative thing for our industry for somebody to be gleeful that somebody gave a game a review that was lower than what the team expected...

On different kind of gaming interactions (1 vs. 100 call out!!):
GameSpot: Do you mean like games where the streamers controller what's happening? For example, Twitch plays Pokemon.

Spencer: Or maybe even the other way around, because you might say that was the stream viewers controlling what the streamer [can do]… we're seeing that with Beam already. Not to make this an ad for Beam but because of the low latency, we can have streamers that are actually setting up an Xbox controller and the community can actually hit the buttons on the Xbox controller in real time and play a game like Killer Instinct, which I think is fantastic. And that's taking a game that was never built thinking that that's what would happen.

We did a game a few years ago called 1 vs. 100... and it was an avatar-based game show that you played real-time online. It was kind of a trivia game. But I think about now, and we could do it in a very non-interactive way because it was questions that you answered because we didn't have streaming and the capabilities that we have now. But I think you're going to see game genres get build up around the social connection that I think will be just really, really cool.

Lots more discussion in the interview (and it's a great interview, worth the read), including Phil's feelings on:
  • Scorpio development,
  • 4K gaming on Scorpio,
  • Recore's release and some of the reception to it (partly covered in this GAF thread),
  • the "Play Anywhere" campaign,
  • exciting recent Industry trends,
  • mobile gaming and where Xbox fits into it,
  • Kinect's current place in Xbox.

I didn't see a thread on this, and thought it was an interesting interview. Nothing too new, but still interesting discussion.

Please turn me into a checked list and tweet if old.

Koobion

The fact that he read those negative Recore review tweets, and thusly is remembering them, kinda makes me sad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Great interview, really cleared certain things up from what i've read so far. Nothing is particularly unreasonable at all in what he's saying.

We're not announcing price here. I guess I'd just say we announced the Xbox One S and it's out in market at $399 [in Australia]. We expect both of these products to be in market at the same time, and that there's a clear performance difference and obviously there will be a price difference between the two things. But I also want people to understand that Scorpio is going to be a premium console. Like, I'm not trying to sell you a high-end gaming PC rig for a couple of thousand dollars or something. We look at consumer price points of consoles and definitely our target is to hit that. But it will be a premium version of an Xbox One and we'll talk more about pricing as we're cutting it closer to the launch and everything else. But I'm confident that we'll be able to deliver a product at a price point that gamers will feel like is worth it.

Over/under on $499 based on this?

Both the PS3 and the XBO failed at such a launch price

"Clear price difference" and its considered a "premium console".

I bet some crazies here still think its gonna cost 400 bucks haha

Dabanton

Can you imagine that your life has such little meaning or purpose or that you love a corporate company so much that you tweet in apparent delight when a game on a rival console gets a low score?

Toki767

The last time "premium" was thrown around, the Vive ended up costing $800.

Just kind of expecting $599 at this point. And anything lower will be gravy.

wapplew

MS talk about product 1 year away more than Nintendo with NX, which come within 5 months.
Start the hype machine already Ninty!
Sony too, not enough information for something just a month away.

StillEdge

Clear price difference because the S is going to get a price cut. But still expect the Scorpio to be high cost.
I think they should put some small SSD for the OS and push externals. I have a 2tb external that cost me 50 bucks. Super tiny and cheap. I could care less about my internal drive.

Kolx

"Clear price difference" and its considered a "premium console".

I bet some crazies here still think its gonna cost 400 bucks haha

By price difference it could be that he thinks Sony will cut the price of the Pro to 299$ once the Scorpio hits the market. Premium console could mean a 399$ console in a market where the 2nd most expensive console is 299$. I know it's a bit fetched but MS can have one of these e3 big moments if they release a cheaper version without a 4K Blu-ray player and with 500gb for example while offering something more expensive with 4K Blu-ray player and bigger hardisk for higher price.

Asking about console war stuff seems like such a waste of time to me. Try and get some more game stuff outvof him. What's up with crackdown? How's Scalebound going, phantom dust still a thing?

Dunkley

My expectations now are a 499-599 USD price with a clear leaning torwards the latter.

And if that is so, they really gotta nail the marketing since not only would they compete in the, let's call it premium console market against a cheaper alternative, but also one that releases earlier.

ss_lemonade

Someone should ask if the hardware improvements will also help smooth out the xbox one UI performance. While this should almost be a given, you can never be sure seeing as how the current iteration seems to have never improved years after release

$399

Mark my words. So far nothing specs wise indicate higher than that (especially for late 2017 release).

only time I see MS going for higher than that is IF they put non-jaguar CPU.

I hardly believe that, but I hope you are right, I won't mind saving a buck or two.

$499, at the lowest. Which is absolutely fine for the power they keep hinting at

For the lowest? It will be sent out to die then apart from a few thousand enthusiasts/early adopters.

The XB1 cost what it did 3 years ago as the tech determined that, with those costs coming down then so should hardware and manufacturing and Scorpio is still a year out. How much will the XB1S be in November 2017, £249/£199 and the Scorpio sits on the shelf beside it for £499+? lol, c'mon.

I'll be there day one if its £349, anything else is a no and ill be happy with my OG box for a few more years.

Somnia

I'm guessing 449-499 for Scorpio.

Though with the S probably dropping maybe 399 who knows, but that seems to go against the message here.

This is gonna be one of them 'Phil Spencer' days on GAF again isn't it

Could be worse...

phil22pkz5.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's a damn shame that he needed to say advertising features is not console wars.
Oh what these "gamers" have come to.

my
boring and obvious
Holiday 2017 prediction

$249.99 for Xbox One S
$499.99 for Xbox One Scorpio

All games are compatible on both except things that require special peripherals like VR. Games will have special Scorpio modes and current Play Anywhere Xbox One/PC games are a testbed for that.

It'll be $399. I'd be shocked if it were much higher than that.

Guys, don't forgot. The Xbox One S launched for $299 and will be a year old by the time Scorpio launches. It's quite reasonable to expect the S to drop to $249 or even lower a year from now.

There's no way Scorpio is going to launch for $499 alongside a $199-$249 option. That would be an absolutely terrible move.

My guess is it'll be Xbox One S for $249, Xbox One "Pro" for $399.

c0de

Like, when ReCore came out and there were some of the lower scores that were given, I would have PlayStation fans tweet me, happy that ReCore wasn't getting great review scores from some outlets.

Come on guys, who did it.

Jumeira

Banned
That comment about gamers praising ReCore underperforming is awful, truly some sad insecure gamers out there. xViper type gamers.

LordRaptor

So PR read-between-the-lines interpreting puts Play Anywhere titles at <100k sales, huh?

It's a damn shame that he needed to say advertising features is not console wars.

Adam Boyes being handed a game in a video to demonstrate game sharing with friends is both a feature descritpion and a petty jab for cheap heat from the fanboys.
Just like Major Nelson tweeting a "reminder" that XB1 supported Fallout 4 mods when Sony couldn't is.

BrunoM

The way he words it .. I dont see it being under 599 and if its good something to add to my collection ..

But being realistic from wording and the "clear diffrence" between the two systems yeah premium price here it comes

New002

Well, it's possible to tout your features in a way that doesn't disrespect your competitors, like he's saying...but you can also do it in a way where you're being a dick to your competitors, or are taking a jab at them, and are giving ammo to "console warriors" :p Just depends on how you wanna play it! The ad in question was most definitely a jab at Sony, given the content and timing.

jbug617

Banned
There is going to be multiple hard drive skus for Scorpio. The price structure will be like Xbox One S.

So you can see the price of the S today. When we designed both of these, which we kind of designed it in parallel. We thought about the price performance of what we wanted to hit with the Scorpio, relative to what we were going to be able to do with the S. So that we would have a good price continuum, so people wouldn’t look at these two things as so disconnected because of the price delta.

So I think you will feel like it’s a premium product, a premium console. And not something, anything more than that. So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen. We didn’t design it that way.

That said, the opening price point for the Xbox One S, and the different hard drive sizes, that is a critical part of this whole product. When I think about it as a product line, you should expect the pricing to kind of be in line with that.
http://nzgamer.com/features/1490/phil-spencer-interview.html/page-4/

Can you imagine that your life has such little meaning or purpose or that you love a corporate company so much that you tweet in apparent delight when a game on a rival console gets a low score?

Dude, there's thousands of people like that on Twitter. I've tried interacting with some of them and talking some sense, but it's utterly hopeless. Best thing is to just ignore them and hope one day they'll grow up.

Spoiler:
they won't

There is going to be multiple hard drive skus for Scorpio. The price structure will be like Xbox One S.

http://nzgamer.com/features/1490/phil-spencer-interview.html/page-4/

I very much appreciate you posting this! This interview is exactly what comes to my mind every time I see people mention what price they think Scorpio will be. This seems to be the most candid that Phil has ever been on the topic at definitely gives us more to go on than "it'll be a premium product".

Top Bottom