• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Talks Scorpio, PS4 Pro, 4K Resolution, and More

Granjinha

So PR read-between-the-lines interpreting puts Play Anywhere titles at <100k sales, huh?

Adam Boyes being handed a game in a video to demonstrate game sharing with friends is both a feature descritpion and a petty jab for cheap heat from the fanboys.
Just like Major Nelson tweeting a "reminder" that XB1 supported Fallout 4 mods when Sony couldn't is.

I really doubt that FH3 sold under 100k. Especially both FH3 and ReCore.

You have to really force a narrative here to read 'thousand of people playing' like "<100k"

Metzhara

I feel pretty certain it's going to be 449USD - 500USD. They'll likely bundle some content with it to show off a feature or two and add some monies to the pit. He did mention similar to LAUNCH which is about what it cost then.
That said, how come none of the talk was about the more important announcement:
Voodoo Vince HD! Was he part of this? I NEED TO KNOW!

I'm still betting on $499 because they can count on early adopters while maintaining a very viable, low-cost option for budget-conscious consumers.

However, I don't think people should get bent out of shape by his $399 comment. If he really was referring to Australian currency, $399 is almost exactly $300 in US dollars (and people seem to be referring to the latter in this thread).

Thus, if he said it needs to be higher than the current price, $399 is still in play.

LordRaptor

I really doubt that FH3 sold under 100k. Especially both FH3 and ReCore.

You have to really force a narrative here to read 'thousand of people playing' like "<100k"

No, not "Total sales" - people making use of the Play Anywhere initiative, ie that are running games on both XboxOne and Win10.

MS PR specifically, and PR in general round to the nearest 'milestone' number.
If it was more than a hundred thousand, the statement would very like have been "More than a 100,000".

I'm still not so sure the Scorpio is going to be a behemoth. To me, it reads that they definitely want something stronger than Pro, but they are keenly eyeing production costs.I will not be shocked with a $450 USD price displaying a clear spec increase, but not a generational one. Phil even calls it a premium xbox one. Some of the tone around gaf seems to be setting these mammoth expectations, that don't sound realistic.

$499 is fair for 6TF in late '17. More than that... Idk.

Sony could put out a 4tflop console for 400 in 2016 so 2 tflops more by next year is the norm as video cards like the rx 580 will likely see a similar boost.

It comes down to what cpu it has. Another jaguar and I can easily see it being 400.

If they include a 4k blu ray player and it has 12gb ram then I can see it being $450

meerak

The fact that he read those negative Recore review tweets, and thusly is remembering them, kinda makes me sad.

One of those pesky problems of being a human! We can't help but be affected by shit, no matter what logic tells us.

--

I feel he is clearly saying Scorpio will be more than 399 with that statement but who knows! We'll find out... at E3?

Yeah it is. I dunno why people are caught up on 399. On the one hand gamers want cutting edge and yet in the same breath they don't seem to want to pony up the cash for it.

Yup. you can't have both absolutes. Even if it's being sold to hardcore enthusiasts, MS knows this isn't necessarily a Vive. They know that price is a huge sticking point. Expecting this super powered machine for 399 isn't realistic.

If Spencer has such an issue with fanboys and nastiness on Twitter, then maybe his division shouldn't be validating those people by associating with scumbags like timdogg and crapgamer.

I hate the vitriol from console gamers of all origins, but bitching about getting nasty tweets while corresponding and wining and dining folks such those guys seems insincere.

Fisty

There would have been nothing wrong with playing up your features on Twitter if you didn't do it during the PS4 Pro announcement. You had no announcement to make other than "nanny nanny boo boo" and it came of pretty childish. You didn't see Samsung tweeting how great their 3.5mm jacks were during the Apple conference that same day.

Phil really needs to reign in the other depts and especially Greenberg.

Thewonandonly

Clear price difference because the S is going to get a price cut. But still expect the Scorpio to be high cost.
I think they should put some small SSD for the OS and push externals. I have a 2tb external that cost me 50 bucks. Super tiny and cheap. I could care less about my internal drive.
That would be great. Knock the price down by 100 if I want to go with the 500 Gb version. Also do we expect the vive or rift with this. Personally I hope they just say fuck it and do both becuase I will a million percent get the htc after trying it in the Microsoft store

Sounds like it'll be $450/$500

$600 is way too much, you guys are buggin.

I expect they'll go the bundle route and out the Xbox they want as the standard at a higher price $500 or so, and then offer a version maybe with a smaller 500GB HDD and no UBR player for less. Should work out for them in the U.S/UK not sure about anywhere else though, and 2017 seems kinda late for a refresh, but Halo 6 & Forza 7 will no doubt look amazing, should satisfy fans very much.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Could be worse...

phil22pkz5.png

My goodness, the anti Xbox and anti I believe in Phil Spencer feeling here is loud and clear ;).

Sounds like it'll be $450/$500

$600 is way too much, you guys are buggin.

I expect they'll go the bundle route and out the Xbox they want as the standard at a higher price $500 or so, and then offer a version maybe with a smaller 500GB HDD and no UBR player for less. Should work out for them in the U.S/UK not sure about anywhere else though, and 2017 seems kinda late for a refresh, but Halo 6 & Forza 7 will no doubt look amazing, should satisfy fans very much.

Hm... I'm almost with you aside from the idea of stripping out the UBR player. If I were deciding things I wouldn't want a SKU that doesn't support that for Scorpio, especially when the One S does. That being said, we have no idea at this point!

My personal belief is that we'll see a 1TB base model for $399 and a 2TB "day-one" edition for $499 with something else bundled in (not a Kinect). The Xbox One S is a great console, but it doesn't have any improvements ala PS4 Pro that would force MS to stick with the $299 price point for the base model. Based on that, even a $50 price drop in that scenario would give them a $249 Xbox One S alongside a $399 Scorpio next fall. I think that's definitely a wide enough gap to make the Scorpio look "premium" by comparison.

Hm... I'm almost with you aside from the idea of stripping out the UBR player. If I were deciding things I wouldn't want a SKU that doesn't support that for Scorpio, especially when the One S does. That being said, we have no idea at this point!

My personal belief is that we'll see a 1TB base model for $399 and a 2TB "day-one" edition for $499 with something else bundled in (not a Kinect). The Xbox One S is a great console, but it doesn't have any improvements ala PS4 Pro that would force MS to stick with the $299 price point for the base model. Based on that, even a $50 price drop in that scenario would give them a $249 Xbox One S alongside a $399 Scorpio next fall. I think that's definitely a wide enough gap to make the Scorpio look "premium" by comparison.

I agree with this. I think the higher tier will be called the Elite Bundle and the pack in will most likely be an Elite Controller.

Electret

I'm still not so sure the Scorpio is going to be a behemoth. To me, it reads that they definitely want something stronger than Pro, but they are keenly eyeing production costs.I will not be shocked with a $450 USD price displaying a clear spec increase, but not a generational one. Phil even calls it a premium xbox one. Some of the tone around gaf seems to be setting these mammoth expectations, that don't sound realistic.

Really depends on what folks consider to be a 'behemoth'. In terms of console hardware? 6TF is terrific, and a Zen-based CPU makes the Scorpio all that more attractive. Compared to computing hardware in general? The specs are eminently midrange.

Still not sure where this thing will land pricewise, but I'd expect between $399 and $499. 6TF is perfectly achievable but via more silicon that requires a fairly large die size, as PC clocks are not tenable with console thermal envelopes. Zen will increase cost, assuming it is viable and ready by end of 2017. I'm not sure it will be; an 8-core Zen is going to take considerable die space and thermal budget, and I don't think anyone knows for sure whether it will make its way to semi-custom designs before 2018, even if it will be available in desktop and laptop forms in 2017.

Why aren't anyone talking about the Beam part?

He pretty much says they will use it to have experiences like 1vs100 again:

Q: Do you mean like games where the streamers controller what's happening? For example, Twitch plays Pokemon.

A: Or maybe even the other way around, because you might say that was the stream viewers controlling what the streamer [can do]… we're seeing that with Beam already. Not to make this an ad for Beam but because of the low latency, we can have streamers that are actually setting up an Xbox controller and the community can actually hit the buttons on the Xbox controller in real time and play a game like Killer Instinct, which I think is fantastic. And that's taking a game that was never built thinking that that's what would happen. And so it's kind of this add-on. Even Twitch plays Pokemon was obviously something the team would have thought about when they created that. So now you open it up and say creators knowing that this is a possibility are going to integrate that directly into their creative process. And instead of these bolt-on experiences I think you're actually going to say community-driven games that are part of the core game loop that you play, as opposed to something that sits on top. I think that's going to be fantastic.

We did a game a few years ago called 1 vs. 100... and it was an avatar-based game show that you played real-time online. It was kind of a trivia game. But I think about now, and we could do it in a very non-interactive way because it was questions that you answered because we didn't have streaming and the capabilities that we have now. But I think you're going to see game genres get build up around the social connection that I think will be just really, really cool.

6TF isn't cutting edge for a holiday 2017 release. That's a pretty midrange spec. My bet is on scorpio packing a vega gpu since spencer mentions 2016 only being able to do 4TF on a chip from AMD and another year allows them wait for the better vega architecture over Polaris, which brings more performance per watt.

I dont see the APU for scorpio being a monster sized chip at 16nm fabrication. Especially since they dont have to keep that space hogging esram on the chip.

$399 base
$499 higher tier sku

It's a premium xbox one, but they're still in competition with sony and releasing a system $100 more than the pro is a death sentence for MS.

Why aren't anyone talking about the Beam part?

He pretty much says they will use it to have experiences like 1vs100 again:

I didn't want to copy the entire interview to the OP, but I added part of this quote to the OP.

You're right, that 1 vs. 100 call out was pretty sweet.

King_Moc

Banned
Pro is $399 in late 2016, I don't see why Scorpio wouldn't be the same in late 2017. It's pretty much equivalent in power for when it's releasing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
"Clear price difference" and its considered a "premium console".

I bet some crazies here still think its gonna cost 400 bucks haha

It will. Bank on it.

In terms of Scorpio pricing I think MS is still pulling a rope a dope.

Yep.

Microsoft simply will not put out a box higher than $399US after what happened with Xbox One. Premium or not.

Currently, the 1TB S is $349 or $399 isn't it? So by November next year, that price will drop meaning the Scorpio still comes out at a "premium" price higher than the top S model.

It will be $399.

Kremzeek

"Clear price difference" and its considered a "premium console".

I bet some crazies here still think its gonna cost 400 bucks haha

Yeah "premium console" does not mean $399.

$499 at minimum, but that would probably be only with the tiny hard drive (and would they also remove UHD Bluray playback to skimp on a tiny bit of cost?....)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah "premium console" does not mean $399.

$499 at minimum, but that would probably be only with the tiny hard drive (and would they also remove UHD Bluray playback to skimp on a tiny bit of cost?....)

When the top model Xbox One S is $299 by next year, yes, $399 is a premium price.

Top Bottom