• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestar.de: The vultures are circling over Crytek [Up3: Eurogamer/Kotaku jump in]

low-G

Can they port Crysis 3 to next gen? You'd get at least a million units sold there. Not sure that'd help enough.

Microsoft and Crytek talked about Ryse 2, but yet it is not in development, because microsoft wants the trademark and crytek don't want to give it up

That's odd considering MS have traditionally not been too concerned about owning IPs through third party relations. Maybe a change in stance since Mattrick left?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They need to focus less on the tech, and more on game design. They expanded far too quickly, and they have little to show for their size.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If true, it will be interesting to see if they attempt to crawl back to PC gamers to help bail them out.

scitek

Lol, this. Their move to console focused development after Crysis 1 remains one of their most baffling ones yet. The game sold decently enough as a PC exclusive. Crysis 2 was such a poor ass PC port with a lack of graphical options and no DX11 renderer until a certain patch was released much later lol.

Modern Warfare came out the same year as Crysis and outsold it like 6:1. It's really not that baffling.

Denton

Well, this is what you get when you :

1) release not so great single console only game
2) focus on free-to-play shit
3) fuck up your flagship franchise chasing console money (crysis 2/3)

Worst of all, none of Crytek's upcoming stuff is in any way appealing (to me at least).
Hunt - zero hype
Homefront - zero hype
Moba - zero hype

That said, I hope they make it through, it would be nice to get some proper follow-up to Crysis 1/Far Cry, plus they need to be around for engine support of games I am actually looking forward to, like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Star Citizen.

Look at Farcry4, look at Crysis3. I think I know what went wrong.

FC3 is a better Crysis game than, well, Crysis.

They have lost a bit of focus over the years what with Crysis 3 and Ryse being "cinematic experiences", but I thought their engine licensing would keep them afloat. But who is actually making hit games with CryEngine these days?

injurai

Banned
They could have been one of the heroes of PC gaming, but they walked away from that good will as soon as they had it.

Spineker

Banned
Sad thought that this was ultimately the fate of Free Radical. First bankruptcy as themselves, now potential bankruptcy under Crytek. Those guys just can't win.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Never mind, was too late.

Their move to console focused development after Crysis 1 remains one of their most baffling ones yet. The game sold decently enough as a PC exclusive.
I thought it didn't sell decently and only after a several months it became profitable. Assuming I remember correctly that's not good enough if the other alternative is having a publisher pay for the development instead of you taking that risk.

KORNdoggy

I'm not surprised by this tbh. I'd argue they havn't made a good game since far cry...crysis at a stretch. And now their next game is a sequel to critically panned game that no-one bought and no-one wanted a sequel to...thats not exactly smart. They should maybe cut 95% of their staff and just be an engine developer, cos for me, that's all they're particularly good at.

Jedi2016

Can they port Crysis 3 to next gen? You'd get at least a million units sold there. Not sure that'd help enough.
A million? I highly doubt it. I don't think enough people give a shit about C3 to bother with it any more. Hell, I owned the game on PC for six months before I even installed it, and that was more of a benchmark to see how well my rig ran it than actually wanting to play the game.

I guess the Free 2 Play bubble is bursting, huh?

Nah just getting overloaded.

Some will be mega successes, making the company 100m a month ( or 40m a day in GungHo's case ), others will be flops and the dev team basically gets a 5% return on development

Homefront 2 definitely won't turn anything around. Geez, why did they choose to continue that IP?

Seriously, has anyone asked Crytek why they bought that IP? It's very strange. The first game wasn't successful either critically or commercially, and it on some level played a role in THQ's downfall because it had a ridiculous budget (between 35-50m). It just seemed like a waste of money.

The engine licensing not taking off isn't surprising. It never seemed like major studios were interested in licensing the CryEngine. Their videos showing upcoming titles for the engine always seemed to be filled with games from very small studios. It seems like most big studios this gen or either working with in-house engines (EA, Konami, UBI) or they're just sticking with UE3.

stuminus3

Banned
I guess the Free 2 Play bubble is bursting, huh?
Not even close.

The issue is that F2P doesn't guarantee megabucks for everyone, just like every other trend... and the issue for Crytek is they've pretty much put all they've got into chasing trends.

Zukuu

Banned
They should just sell the Ryse IP (and work on it). Not that it has any buzz behind it. If they really want to, they could just create another average Spartan / Roman story.

SpyGuy239

Lol, this. Their move to console focused development after Crysis 1 remains one of their most baffling ones yet. The game sold decently enough as a PC exclusive. Crysis 2 was such a poor ass PC port with a lack of graphical options and no DX11 renderer until a certain patch was released much later lol.

I know right.

Remaster original crysis + warhead with cryengine 3 and release it for PC (and consoles if you wish)

Then release RYSE on PC.

The trouble with Crytek is that they legitimately shook things up with Crysis, and they've spent all their time since then running away from that. Their sequels got rid of much of the sandbox gameplay that made the original so good in the first place, and all their other efforts have just felt like games made to cash in on existing trends. They could have followed up the original Crysis and legitimately become a huge developer if they focused on making more games that expanded on gameplay ideas people thought possible (ie, a Crysis 2 with even more sandbox options) but instead they just became a me-too AAA developer with nothing to really hype their products apart from graphics.

baphomet

That's what happens when you put out mediocre/bad games that value visuals more than gameplay. Hilarious they didn't get a piece of that ftp pie that they thought they were just going to automatically be given because they're crytek.

Grief.exe

Crysis 1 had so much potential too. Clean up the gameplay, fix a few boring sections, and you are set up for an amazing sequel.

Instead, they decide to create a linear shooter in a sea of boring linear shooters. It has some extra gimmicks in the suit, but these truly shined in an open world environment.

matmanx1

Yeah that Crysis 2 decision (console focused, less sandbox) really burned me. I genuinely loved Crysis and Crysis: Warhead on the PC. A true followup to those games that focused on the strengths of the original and optimized for the PC first and console second would have been so much better, in my opinion.

Poor Crytek, if true.

Gestault

I'm of the opinion that if Crytek truly had major underlying financial instability, they wouldn't hold up guaranteed paid, subsidized work for big release in Ryse 2 because of a rights stand-off. There could easily be things at play that would counter that, but I didn't catch it in the bullet-point summation of the article. Unless there's direct substantiation in the article, this sounds like a "throw until something sticks" write up of potential threats to their model, rather than an account of a specific, impending situation.

SparkTR

Ever since CoD4 Crytek have been playing follow the leader, they lost all of their creativity after Crysis 1 in order for them to chase that CoD money train on consoles without realising that it was an outlier they were never going to reach. Seriously, they killed their Crysis IP due to terrible unimaginative sequels, and Warface looks like every other brown/grey multiplayer shooter. They have nothing that interests gamers on any platform anymore.

Why would they? Crytek make average to bad games that don't really sell.

Just a couple of days ago Phil said this on the subject;'Ryse didn’t have the best review scores, but actually has sold really well and the feedback from people has been positive'

Microsoft seems happy with the sales it got.

They should've stayed small. Far Cry and Crysis were the best receivers in their portfolio and that was when they targeted a PC base. Trying to push the consoles with sub-optimal performance along with chasing dat "mainstream" money hurt them in the long run. I hope they can make do with HF2 (though I'm highly skeptical). They've bitten more than they could chew and now their bloated state has resorted to F2P models and MOBA-style gaming which I'm pretty sure does not showcase their "tech" to their extent.

Then there's that issue with Ryse. Boy, they must really believe in the product for them to hold on to it.

Fractal

Banned
Sad to hear it, but not all that surprising, if you ask me. The last Crytek game I'd call great was Crysis Warhead, and that was 6 years ago. Ever since then, all of their games were average at best. Also, I must say, I really don't like how underutilized CryEngine is. It's capable of producing arguably the best visuals in the game industry, yet no major game uses it.

Top Bottom