• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop now selling an entirely new SKU of Metroid Prime Trilogy as "preowned"?

So glad I have two copies of this.
Got one as a surprise gift from my lady. Had already preorderd my own, never got around to returning it.

Might sell one of em towards some XBO games.

Carnby

As far as I'm concerned, without the steel case and slip cover these copies are incomplete. And not worth 85 dollars.

FyreWulff

I can see what Authoritative Shark is trying to say, but still, that's not how it is supposed to work. They may be in their good right, but that's shitty.

How is it supposed to work? It was advertised as a limited edition. The edition was actually limited.

Sounds like people weren't really that big of Metroid fans, took a gamble on it dropping to cheap prices, and the gamble didn't work out. It went up. The other outcome I see here is Gamestop selling a rare game for 50$, then it gets emptied out by people looking to flip it on eBay for 120$ anyway.

I really want to know how it was supposed to work.

RPGCrazied

Glad I bought mine a couple Christmas's ago. Sure it was about $65 used, but it came with everything. Tin case, see thru plastic sleeve, artbook/manual too. The tin case has a few scratches, but I'll gladly take it, seeing as how they are rare and expensive as crap now.

Jubern

How is it supposed to work? It was advertised as a limited edition. The edition was actually limited.

Sounds like people weren't really that big of Metroid fans, took a gamble on it dropping to cheap prices, and the gamble didn't work out. It went up. The other outcome I see here is Gamestop selling a rare game for 50$, then it gets emptied out by people looking to flip it on eBay for 120$ anyway.

I really want to know how it was supposed to work.

What I'm trying to say is that a major retailer like that isn't supposed to do this.

I mean come on, can you imagine a major retailer getting their hands on a rare movie on DVD for a normal price, only to sell it twice the normal price just because? Do you think this would be normal?
That wouldn't even be as bad as our current situation, since GameStop is selling those supposedly new copies as "used" in order to justify themselves not selling them at RRP.

How is that NOT wrong?
GameStop aren't supposed to be eBay scammers, FFS.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Before making the assumption that this was a reprint, I think we need more people to confirm that they are seeing the game in regular Wii cases instead of steelbooks.

As stated, GameStop usually prints their own generic cover art when games come without discs. Printing out new glossy covers to distribute to stores is likely more effort than it is worth.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What I'm trying to say is that a major retailer like that isn't supposed to do this.

I mean come on, can you imagine a major retailer getting their hands on a rare movie on DVD for a normal price, only to sell it twice the normal price just because? Do you think this would be normal?
That wouldn't even be as bad as our current situation, since GameStop is selling those supposedly new copies as "used" in order to justify themselves not selling them at RRP.

How is that NOT wrong?
GameStop aren't supposed to be eBay scammers, FFS.

Supply and demand. It's not "scamming" if that's what people are willing to pay for it. Not anymore than giving someone $15 for a month old game and putting it on the shelf for $55.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Supply and Demand" doesn't really apply here, though.

Uh, how? Gamestop has X amount of copies, they're charging $85 for them (or less for their subscribers). If people are willing to pay that amount they're going to sell copies. If people aren't willing to pay it the price will have to drop because Gamestop is not going to sit on Wii games for years until they're gone. The prices online indicate that people are willing to pay around that much.

If you make the argument it's a reprint and they're hiding that and making the implication that supply is much lower than it really is then that's bad business. I'm skeptical of where exactly they are "sourcing" these games from but so far they aren't doing anything they already said they were going to do with their vintage games program over a year ago.

drspeedy

Are these actual new sealed copies or are they used?

All of them are out of shrink wrap... In my book, without the steel casebook they're "used" quality, regardless of where they were sourced from. Doesn't mean they're not reprints, but it does change their value for certain people (like me).

Supply and demand. It's not "scamming" if that's what people are willing to pay for it. Not anymore than giving someone $15 for a month old game and putting it on the shelf for $55.

This.

If you were to buy a copy of Xenoblade or Metroid Prime Trilogy from anyone secondhand, they wouldn't deviate much from the market rate, which Gamestop (especially considering the widely available coupons) is definitely competing with.

Why should Gamestop not charge the market value? People who are upset are essentially asking for an arbitrary 50% off discount, and are likely just mad that they can't quickly snatch a bunch of copies on the cheap from Gamestop to flip on eBay for the $90 price they hate so much.

woolley

I don't understand what's so bad about this? They are selling people a brand new game at under the market price?

You getting a game at a cheaper price, what's to complain about?

This bull that GameStop is doing is why I love that Mom and Pop shops are still open. Half the time, they have the original case in brand spanking new condition for cheap and don't even know it.

Rich!

I don't understand what's so bad about this? They are selling people a brand new game at under the market price?

It's been reprinted, therefore the current high price should no longer be valid. The item is now proven to not be a one off limited edition.

FyreWulff

Apparently people deserve copies they weren't willing to pay for when the game was new. Gamestop is not allowed to buy outstanding copies of the game and resell them.. like they do with every other game they sell.

This bull that GameStop is doing is why I love that Mom and Pop shops are still open. Half the time, they have the original case in brand spanking new condition for cheap and don't even know it.

Local mom and pop is selling MPT for 100$. They aren't idiots either. Any rares are above the original retail price.

Game stores are glorified pawn shops, really. Even the local law recognizes Gamestop as a pawn shop.

GS printed inserts are really poor quality compared to legit ones. I think we have a case of GS paying Nintendo for surplus stock at a slightly higher price in exchange for flexibility toward reselling the skis. If NOA is sitting on a few hundred copies its not like other retailers want them. So if gs offers to buy them at a premium with no other parties interest why not. The few copies my store received were the original metal case, no plastic

Yep. Picked up a mint condition copy of Trilogy from a Mom & Pop store for around $44 or so (The price tag even said "RARE!", heh.) Screw paying $80+ for it at Gamestop.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is anyone actually buying these games at their jacked up prices? I feel like this is going to backfire for GS

People were already buying the games for jacked up prices.
When you factor in discounts, it's cheaper to buy through GameStop. I guess instead of getting a generic Gamestop case, you'll now get something a little nicer.
Thing is,if a steel book case ever popped up, GameStop will let you swap cases.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
in this thread we learn that people don't know what SKU means.

SKU = stock keeping unit. i.e. UPC, model number, etc.

Unless these have different UPCs and/or disc identifiers, it is not a new SKU.

Just saying.

Also not all of these are this case. There are two GameStops by me that both have the COMPLETE original run. Sucks because now with this news I have a feeling those are going to disappear very quickly, but I don't have the $61 ATM to pick one up.. And even if I did, next month alone is Rayman Legends and TW101. Grr.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
in this thread we learn that people don't know what SKU means.

SKU = stock keeping unit. i.e. UPC, model number, etc.

Unless these have different UPCs and/or disc identifiers, it is not a new SKU.

Just saying.

Also not all of these are this case. There are two GameStops by me that both have the COMPLETE original run. Sucks because now with this news I have a feeling those are going to disappear very quickly, but I don't have the $61 ATM to pick one up.. And even if I did, next month alone is Rayman Legends and TW101. Grr.

Yeah, but Rayman Legends and W101 are going to be available for <$30 at some point, Prime Trilogy is probably not. Gotta get while the getting is good.

I'm so glad I bought this at launch. My copy is in pristine condition too, have only played it via backup on USB Loader. Would never have thought the value would be so high. It's weird with these Nintendo collections. I remember the Mario Wii anniversary disc going for crazy prices too. And then you have the Kirby collection which is available easily at non-inflated prices.

Uh, how? Gamestop has X amount of copies, they're charging $85 for them (or less for their subscribers). If people are willing to pay that amount they're going to sell copies. If people aren't willing to pay it the price will have to drop because Gamestop is not going to sit on Wii games for years until they're gone. The prices online indicate that people are willing to pay around that much.

If you make the argument it's a reprint and they're hiding that and making the implication that supply is much lower than it really is then that's bad business. I'm skeptical of where exactly they are "sourcing" these games from but so far they aren't doing anything they already said they were going to do with their vintage games program over a year ago.

It doesn't apply because GameStop is not an eBay seller. They are an officially licensed retailer, identical to Best Buy in almost every single respect, save one: they deal used games on the side. That is a huge conflict of interests, and has, on more than one occasion, revealed the company's immensely anti-consumer and anti-employee business practices. When has Best Buy ever "sourced" additional stock and threw it on shelves at double MSRP? When has Walmart ever been granted exclusive distribution rights to limited-print games, then stocked only "used" copies of the same game they just sold?

If GameStop wants to compete with eBay, then they need to completely de-couple their used games business. It needs to be spun off completely. Otherwise the same company is controlling new sales AND used sales.

Supply and demand doesn't apply because one retailer is controlling the supply and that same retailer is controlling the price.

Further, it's extremely unlikely all of this "sourced" stock came from trade-ins. Unless we've discovered something different recently, isn't it confirmed that these "used" copies suddenly appearing on shelves across the country have all the materials in there? Manual, warranty info, Nintendo Club codes (that haven't even been used)? If it were just the disc in a standard Wii case, sure, probably used. But when it's the disc and everything else in a standard case, with all materials in pristine condition? And being sold as USED?

Let's be honest on this one. These copies were not acquired through a trade-in program. They're new, gutted, and being advertised as used to push a narrative of supply-side scarcity, so GameStop can sell them in their side business for double MSRP.

This isn't supply and demand, because as far as GameStop operates, it isn't a free and fair market.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Best Buy deals in used games as well.

Sounds like a lot of accusations with no proof to go with it. Can you confirm these copies are all pristine with freshly printed Club Nintendo codes?

ultron87

If Gamestop didn't bump the price up every copy would just get snatched up and flipped on Ebay immediately. Now I actually have a chance to go and buy this without dealing with Ebay, which is nice.

Yawnier

Banned
I forget who and where I heard this from, but from what I heard (grain of salt) in a case such as this one where the game is so valuable, they would put the pre-owned label instead of a new label because they can set the price to be whatever and however they like themselves when it is pre-owned, however they can not set their own price if it is new.

Yeah, its a bit shady if it is true.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I forget who and where I heard this from, but from what I heard (grain of salt) in a case such as this one where the game is so valuable, they would put the pre-owned label instead of a new label because they can set the price however they like themselves when it is pre-owned, however they can not set their own price if it is new.

Yeah, its a bit shady if it is true.

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Recommended Retail Price

You can sell new products for as much as you want regardless of what the MSRP is. If you build PCs you see this all the time, especially with the launch of new CPUs and GPUs. They'll regularly go for over MSRP even from the primary retailers because demand is so high and supply is so low.

The only reason Gamestop would have to mark a new game as used is because they want to misrepresent the availability of the game. If a game is obviously reprinted people aren't going to be willing to pay as much because they know supply is higher. Supposedly it's also their policy for whatever reason to gut new games and sell them as used a number of months after launch, but that seems off to me because they have "new" copies of some PS2 games like KH and Final Fantasy.

Best Buy deals in used games as well.

Sounds like a lot of accusations with no proof to go with it. Can you confirm these copies are all pristine with freshly printed Club Nintendo codes?

When has Best Buy sourced additional stock and sold it at double MSRP?

I can't confirm about MPT, but that was the case with Xenoblade, as I recall, and I seem to remember a very pointed press release from GS, where they specifically mentioned Xenoblade and MPT as parts of their vintage series. We've already confirmed the cases/inserts/codes for Xenoblade. Stands to reason GS wouldn't deviate from that for the other game they specifically mentioned.

I'd be very, very interested to find out just what's in those shiny, clean cases.

GulAtiCa

Yuck, it's worth that price cause of the steelbook IMO. I could never see myself spending that much for it without the steelbook.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When has Best Buy sourced additional stock and sold it at double MSRP?

I can't confirm about MPT, but that was the case with Xenoblade, as I recall, and I seem to remember a very pointed press release from GS, where they specifically mentioned Xenoblade and MPT as parts of their vintage series. We've already confirmed the cases/inserts/codes for Xenoblade. Stands to reason GS wouldn't deviate from that for the other game they specifically mentioned.

I'd be very, very interested to find out just what's in those shiny, clean cases.

They said over a year ago they were going to refurbish the games that are part of their vintage program. New cases, artwork, etc makes sense. Club Nintendo codes are the only things I'd question.

FyreWulff

It doesn't apply because GameStop is not an eBay seller. They are an officially licensed retailer, identical to Best Buy in almost every single respect, save one: they deal used games on the side. That is a huge conflict of interests

How is there a conflict of interest? Licensed? Right of first sale. The only thing they need to be licensed to do is operate as a store in the city/state they are in. They don't need a license to sell any games, systems, or software. They were selling used copies of the Wal Mart exclusive Rock Band AC/DC a week after it came out. Wal Mart can't do shit about it.

When has Best Buy ever "sourced" additional stock and threw it on shelves at double MSRP?

All the time. See also: their Rocketfish brand. Take HDMI cables, glue your logo on, sell them at 300% markup.

When has Walmart ever been granted exclusive distribution rights to limited-print games, then stocked only "used" copies of the same game they just sold?

Wal Mart has been granted exclusive distribution rights on a few games, including the above mentioned Rock Band AC/DC. They don't sell used because they've never sold used. They don't need to. They have, however, gotten exclusive versions of other products and sold them at a markup compared to other stores.

If GameStop wants to compete with eBay, then they need to completely de-couple their used games business. It needs to be spun off completely. Otherwise the same company is controlling new sales AND used sales.

Funny you mention eBay. eBay owns Paypal, so they control both the storefront AND the method of payment for items. Maybe eBay should spin off Paypal first? And it doesn't even make sense why Gamestop should need to spin off their used games business if they want to be a pawn shop.

Supply and demand doesn't apply because one retailer is controlling the supply and that same retailer is controlling the price.

It's almost like a retailer can buy something and then sell it for the price they want! I don't see Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, or Toys R Us purchasing a print run. They certainly didn't try to outbid Gamestop for Xenoblade nor paid Nintendo for a supposed re-print of the game.

Otherwise, under this previous quote, the entire system of store brands is magically decoupled from the reality of supply and demand.

Further, it's extremely unlikely all of this "sourced" stock came from trade-ins.

Proof

Unless we've discovered something different recently, isn't it confirmed that these "used" copies suddenly appearing on shelves across the country have all the materials in there? Manual, warranty info, Nintendo Club codes (that haven't even been used)? If it were just the disc in a standard Wii case, sure, probably used. But when it's the disc and everything else in a standard case, with all materials in pristine condition? And being sold as USED?

It's almost like people could have given them back copies with the included materials. I kept all the supplemental material with my Halo LEs, and I certainly would include them with the trade-in if I ever gave them back.

Let's be honest on this one. These copies were not acquired through a trade-in program. They're new, gutted, and being advertised as used to push a narrative of supply-side scarcity, so GameStop can sell them in their side business for double MSRP.

Proof.

This isn't supply and demand, because as far as GameStop operates, it isn't a free and fair market.

lol

nateeasy

Banned
1zvesqw.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price

Recommended Retail Price

You can sell new products for as much as you want regardless of what the MSRP is. If you build PCs you see this all the time, especially with the launch of new CPUs and GPUs. They'll regularly go for over MSRP even from the primary retailers because demand is so high and supply is so low.

The only reason Gamestop would have to mark a new game as used is because they want to misrepresent the availability of the game. If a game is obviously reprinted people aren't going to be willing to pay as much because they know supply is higher. Supposedly it's also their policy for whatever reason to gut new games and sell them as used a number of months after launch, but that seems off to me because they have "new" copies of some PS2 games like KH and Final Fantasy.

That makes more sense than what I said then, I still do find it a bit strange on their part though. But ah, I do suppose it is GS.

GS, nor any retailer could survive on solely on new game sales. But it really boils down to GS having a product people want and the luxury of being the one retailer that has a steady supply of said item. How they got it is irrelavent u less it was illegal and I doubt it was. And like other said it gives you an option. To not just be restricted to eBay, other online only choices or hard to find mom and pops. Plus you have a chance to view the quality of the item before committing to purchase and a return option (albeit not a great one but decent). You can really only be upset at Nintendo of a distribution partner of theirs for supplying these items to gs on gs's terms. Or at the fact you just can't afford GS's asking price (how much cheaper are other options after shipping?) Or you just hate GS for some silly reason.

While there are some Gamez that get converted from new to used. It barely represents 1% of the titles stores carry and a smaller percentage of stores' inventory

There is a promo code, GUST15, you could use to get $15 on their website. The code expires today and is still expensive, however.

People are funny.

Picked up a copy of this reprint yesterday for $70 after PUR and coupons. A little steep, I'd rather have gotten it for $60 or less, but I want to play the game and I literally couldn't find the DISC for less than $75 online anywhere, so I'm happy to have a nice clean case and a crisp manual all for $70.

If GameStop wants to source reprints and give me a new-quality game
(the disc is absolutely perfect, I'd guess it's never been in a console given the way it shines)
for $20-30 less than I'd pay online, I'm okay with that. Hell, people are already trying to flip these reprints for a profit...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yep. Should be a $20 Nintendo Selects release, along with SMG2, etc.

yeah, I have no friggin idea why neither of these are the case.. Well, I mean I get why Nintendo isn't doing it NOW, but yes, these should have been apart of the program from day one. NPC Pikmin 2 and NOT MPT or SMG2????

Eusis

Huh, no code sheet? Though the manual reliably being there means as reprint, at minimum Nintendo supplying fresh packaging.

They said over a year ago they were going to refurbish the games that are part of their vintage program. New cases, artwork, etc makes sense. Club Nintendo codes are the only things I'd question.

Getting new cases and artwork seems like a waste if they're looking to maximize profits, and when there are documented cases of the Club Nintendo codes...ehh...

How is there a conflict of interest? Licensed? Right of first sale. The only thing they need to be licensed to do is operate as a store in the city/state they are in. They don't need a license to sell any games, systems, or software. They were selling used copies of the Wal Mart exclusive Rock Band AC/DC a week after it came out. Wal Mart can't do shit about it.

Is GameStop a store or a pawn shop? Is it a standard retailer like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc, or is it its own distribution and printing service? There's a conflict of interest when a retailer is also a pawn shop with exclusive rights to sell limited-run games where they are the only ones setting the price in any official capacity.

All the time. See also: their Rocketfish brand. Take HDMI cables, glue your logo on, sell them at 300% markup.

So, Rocketfish was out of stock everywhere, with a limited initial run, and suddenly BB finds a bunch and immediately distributes to its stores? Doesn't sound like it.

Wal Mart has been granted exclusive distribution rights on a few games, including the above mentioned Rock Band AC/DC. They don't sell used because they've never sold used. They don't need to. They have, however, gotten exclusive versions of other products and sold them at a markup compared to other stores.

Walmart doesn't sell used because it's never sold used? Sounds a bit circular. Fact is, it doesn't sell used. Even its premium prices were standard price everywhere else, even for Rock Band. Walmart doesn't sell used games, but it also don't price based on what eBay looks like.

Funny you mention eBay. eBay owns Paypal, so they control both the storefront AND the method of payment for items. Maybe eBay should spin off Paypal first? And it doesn't even make sense why Gamestop should need to spin off their used games business if they want to be a pawn shop.

Sorry, didn't realize that eBay is actually the one selling everything on there, and that there are no people getting rid of bows, canoes, and lawn furniture. eBay is the market. PayPal is the payment method. The people are the sellers. GameStop, however, is the buyer, the seller, the market, and in their used games business, they straight-up control payment (see: the push for store credit rather than straight payout).

It's almost like a retailer can buy something and then sell it for the price they want! I don't see Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, or Toys R Us purchasing a print run. They certainly didn't try to outbid Gamestop for Xenoblade nor paid Nintendo for a supposed re-print of the game.

Otherwise, under this previous quote, the entire system of store brands is magically decoupled from the reality of supply and demand.

That we only see GameStop doing this should tip you off that GameStop is not, and should not be considered, a standard retailer.

Proof

It's almost like people could have given them back copies with the included materials. I kept all the supplemental material with my Halo LEs, and I certainly would include them with the trade-in if I ever gave them back.

Proof.

For proof, look at what what we saw with Xenoblade. New cases, different from the original run. Manuals in pristine condition. And unused Club Nintendo codes. There's a precedent here, and GameStop has spoken of only two specific games with regards to the "sourcing" additional stock: Xenoblade and MPT. We're seeing similar patterns for MPT. New cases, no steelbooks, new covers...and there's a 90% chance we'll see all fresh inserts, and likely see fresh Club Nintendo codes. You want proof? There isn't definitive proof yet, but we see there's a pattern.

Hey there, chuckles, if GameStop is the only retailer carrying certain games, and can do whatever they want, even to the extent of getting new stock and labeling it used, just to boost their margins, what else would that be, other than making a complete farce of supply and demand?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I was very fortunate to find a store that was overstocked on SMG2's and blowing them out at $20 then. Too bad I missed the boat on MTP the first time. I'm still shooting to get a steelbook version when when i can get a somewhat fair price.

Top Bottom