• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop stock price takes large hit after Xbox Digital Game Pass Announcement

QaaQer

And so many store jobs will be lost?

They can always go work at a barely legal amazon warehouse with awesome biometric tracking and autmated firings when your body gets to old to be able to move fast enough or cannot handle the lack of climate controlled environments.

Kill3r7

It will affect game sales.

Same reason they didn't want EA access.

This is basically PSNow with the ability to download and a flat monthly price. I think Sony could easily spin PSnow into a service like this.

Publishers are going to start moving over to this exact model imo. I fully expect you will see at least a Ubi Access sometime over the course of the next 3-5 years imo.

Its incredibly smart, and EA Access has done incredibly well for EA. The thing is a lot of these older titles don't move significant copies anymore. As games move more and more into a microtransaction / Games as a Service basis, these sort of sub programs make a ton of sense.

For example Halo 5 in the Game Pass. That title doesn't push huge numbers anymore, but by adding it to the Pass MS opens up the door for a surge of new consumers who may find they enjoy Halo 5 and begin buying REQ packs, when maybe they never would have ended up buying Halo 5 at all in the first place.

Ditto.

Publishers are going to start moving over to this exact model imo. I fully expect you will see at least a Ubi Access sometime over the course of the next 3-5 years imo.

Its incredibly smart, and EA Access has done incredibly well for EA. The thing is a lot of these older titles don't move significant copies anymore. As games move more and more into a microtransaction / Games as a Service basis, these sort of sub programs make a ton of sense.

For example Halo 5 in the Game Pass. That title doesn't push huge numbers anymore, but by adding it to the Pass MS opens up the door for a surge of new consumers who may find they enjoy Halo 5 and begin buying REQ packs, when maybe they never would have ended up buying Halo 5 at all in the first place.

I'm surprised that MS didn't wait till E3 to announce this TBH.

As scummy as GameStop can be, I do hope a better outlet(s) can take it's place. I have no intention of going digital on console, and I don't trust Amazon to fulfill preorders on limited goods.

It's in testing right now, no? "Going public NOW!" with a full library would make a good announcement.

Trup1aya

I don't think Sony will go this direction.

It will piss off publishers.

Wut? Publishers are making money hand over fist with digital. The want this. They want people buying digital instead of used.

It will positively effect game sales.

Publishers make nothing when you buy a used game from GameStop.

They make 70% on a digital sale. If a game shows up in Xbox game pass, and encourages you to buy so that you can keep it, they get that revenue + an opportunity to sell you dlc and MTs.

Not to mention less used games in circulation means their physical and digital MSRPs stay high. If publishers were against EA access before it's because they didn't understand it. That's obviously changed now.

Fisty

Yeah I think the pubs probably see the numbers and XB software doesn't move as well as PS software. If the games were selling, pubs wouldn't be offering them for pennies on the dollar with this plan. This is kinda like when AAA heavy hitters were coming to PS+ at the very end of PS3, not because they were being nice, but because they knew they weren't going to be able to reliably sell that shit for much longer

ViciousDS

Banned
GameStop could die.......they are the insane last resort in my pre-orders. I would rather get my stuff from best buy. At least I don't get haggled down a list of shit coming up to pre-order.

My experience whenever I went in there was that they literally go down a release list since I don't pre-order anything.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS are going to war with retail it seems, as it makes sense for their bottom line.

Don't have any particular love for Gamestop's more nefarious practices, but i don't think it will be good for us in the long run when the publishers are the only dog in town and can dictate their prices and services. Sincerely hope physical media from traditional retailers never goes away.

Gamestop's shareprices also took a bigger hit when MS introduced their DRM plan let us not forget

oti

Banned
The shopping experience sucks?

I'm sure it's fine for most people. The rest can continue to buy games from the internet. But getting rid of such a huge retail presence because you don't like their service is a bit... much. GS makes its money with used games. Everything is centered around them and that makes sense. If you don't like that, shop somewhere else. Not saying they are great but without them, video games would be worse off.

they sent me the same game cracked in half twice and wouldnt refund me or even give me additional time on my subscription, they are terrible. At least with redbox when I get a piece of paper instead of a disc they refund me and gave me a code for a free rental.

Stick with new games. Or not. I just grab a gift certificate for 3 months/2 games out and it costs like $35. Works out to about $12/month for 2 brand new games.

QaaQer

Maybe gamestop should focus on not providing a shit tier experience

Physical and used games have a place and market in life, but they make it a nightmare consistently.

They are run by grubbing MBAs and bean counters. They really need to to be a more customer friendly place. For example, why is there no gaming space where people can hang and just play, or anything to do with pnp or other physical games? I think they can survive just fine if the stop only trying to maximize profits and look to make themselves into a part of the community. Customer loyalty is actually a thing.

sense

Sony should be the one sweating. A service like that sounds awesome. And no PSNow doesn't count, not at those prices at streaming only.
Lol @ Sony sweating. It is a cool service but it really isn't a game changer. New games are what matters more and there are so many goddamn games coming out from first party, third party, Indies and Japan studios that it is hard for people to get worked up over not being able to play old games and switching sides. I am sure sony is probably working on something similar anyways with its ps1,ps2,psp and vita catalogue. Psnow will be mostly for PS3 and maybe PS4 trials.

Gamestop to become Hot Topic for Nerds comfirmed. Good thing they got in on that pop-culture-garbage-toys game

Unfortunately for Gamestop, Hot Topic is the Hot Topic for nerds. You'll probably find more minecraft and Zelda crap there than anywhere. Maybe they'll get into selling gaming PCs or something.

The sooner gamestop dies, the better.

I don't understand why people shop there.
I 100% never buy new games there, but if it's been out for a while and OOP or running low on prints and the Amazon price is iffy, or if it's some random Japanese game that surely was traded in after someone playing for 4 hours and going "wtf no" then I usually ht up a GS. There aren't really other brick and mortar options in a lot of areas

Yeah I think the pubs probably see the numbers and XB software doesn't move as well as PS software. If the games were selling, pubs wouldn't be offering them for pennies on the dollar with this plan. This is kinda like when AAA heavy hitters were coming to PS+ at the very end of PS3, not because they were being nice, but because they knew they weren't going to be able to reliably sell that shit for much longer

It has nothing to do with this.

Consider this, the publishers make a whopping $0 off of GameStops enormous used sales program. Its part of the reason EA Access and Xbox Game Pass existence. To get some of those used game sales back. It also opens the door wide open for new consumers to buy DLC / Microtransactions.

It's funny how they're called "Game Stop" but they're probably the most anti-gamer way to buy games out there. BB and Amazon offer 20 % off on games and I don't have to get harassed with getting DLC/pre-orders/etc etc shoved down my throat.

Publishers are getting their cut, which is the point of the service from the business side. It's also ongoing income on titles without a strong first-round retail presence.

Sony should consider changes to PSNow to get more in line with this. Theoretically, it's less overhead for them, as well.

True.

But it will definitely affect new game sales.

A simple scenario is someone buying a new console. People normally buy a few games with it. No need anymore.

krang

This is the model EA have been going for with Access. I mean, they won't explicitly say it, but it's no coincidence that Battlefront went into the Vault at around the same time as Rogue One DLC became available to buy.

Kthulhu

It's in testing right now, no? "Going public NOW!" with a full library would make a good announcement.

Good point.

Sounds awful. I'm already juggling subscription services for all of my shows. Now I gotta do it just to play the game I want?

Trup1aya

Xbox software moves very well in comparison to PS software... proportional to their installed bases. Publishers are very pleased with digital penetration all across the board, with many approaching 40% of their unit sales.

Boke1879

Sony should be the one sweating. A service like that sounds awesome. And no PSNow doesn't count, not at those prices at streaming only.

Why would Sony sweat? This really isn't going to impact them in a major way. Both console makers and pubs are likely going down this route regardless with the rise of digital.

Look at how many Flash sales PSN has. We still have to have to see how it all plays out. But in the short term it's an added revenue stream for MS

Trup1aya

Good point.

Sounds awful. I'm already juggling subscription services for all of my shows. Now I gotta do it just to play the game I want?

Lol no. You Get games however it makes sense to you.

If you don't want to subscribe, buy it like you always have...

For many, subscribing will be a cheaper way to play more games.

QaaQer

So more pressure to make games free to play, or in this case, almost free to play. I wish there was some parental lobby trying to get gambling out of shit their kids play. I should tweet Trump.

Edit: although his bro helps run Zenimax. Maybe I'll tweet PM May.

All we need in malls is a cool high tech video game vending machine. Like one that fills a whole wall with one attendant for support.

yyr

My guess is Sony is still trying to recoup the $380+ million investment they made in purchasing Gaikai and the undisclosed amount they payed for Onlive. Switching to a service like this would be basically writing off their whole game streaming initiative.

"Good luck making that money back" is what I'd say if that's true. My guess is that the reason they haven't been boasting about PSNow numbers is that the numbers aren't too impressive.

Honestly I think PSNow was/is at least a generation too early. Many folks still have Internet connections that are too slow to be able to use it.

Kthulhu

Well do you have to have EA Access to play EA games? Obviously No.

Its an option. And a very smart business one at that.

If GameStop dies that may try to force this in order to get people to buy digital. Or possibly have exclusive games only available through this service in order to entice subscriptions.

As long as nothing like that happens I'd be fine.

Gestault

You want video games to lose their biggest retail presence? Why?

Pardon my hostility here, it's not directed at you, but the shopping experience is miserable at Gamestop. Being aggressively bombarded by sales pitches completely divorced from the products I'm actually shopping for, surrounded by tacky toys/merchandise that fill half the store space.

Gamestop can rot because the experience is bad. If that's what brick-and-mortar game shopping is to you, you have my pity. They only have the position they do from buyouts of previously established game shops, which could have had more opportunity to cater to individual markets if not for the adorementioned hostile, deliberate coprorate structure to buy and suppress competition.

As scummy as GameStop can be, I do hope a better outlet(s) can take it's place. I have no intention of going digital on console, and I don't trust Amazon to fulfill preorders on limited goods.

Yup.

Some are viewing this as a digital rental service, and I can see how. But, to me this reads like MS inserting itself between the user and the games, and shifting ownership along with control of access to MS's side, and away from the player. They made it crystal clear what their intentions were at the start of this gen, and I never believed they ever really abondoned their oiginal vision with Xbox1.

Snaku

Banned
I already see GameStops as Blockbusters.

I'd be surprised if they didn't honestly see this coming. Any form of media that can be consumed digitally will inevitably kill its brick & mortar competitor. We've seen it with music, we've seen it with movies, and now we're going to see it happen to video games. The writing has been smeared on the wall in blood for a decade now.

xabbott

Just a random thought. I wonder now if this is why MS pushes so many controller, console, controller accessories (like the keypad). A way to appease these retailers as digital grows? More stuff to sell warranties on, etc.

Kill3r7

Good point.

You know, you can still buy the game outright if that is your concern or rely on Gamefly to rent it. Alternatively, your public library might carry recent releases as well.

Xyrmellon

I primarily see Gamestop as a place kids drag their parents to and where teenagers trade in games. Do many adult gamers shop there? Don't they know better?

Top Bottom