• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop stock price takes large hit after Xbox Digital Game Pass Announcement

I don't think the service is a good value, not because of GameStop though. It's more because traditional digital sale prices have been low enough to not justify a sampler monthly service like this.

I really hope that this service doesn't reduce the number of digital sales that happen if Sony follows suit.

I like being able to pick up older games for $5-$15 digitally.

andymcc

Banned
That's what came to my mind immediately. Last time I was in one the store was packed with shirts and toys/figures. Basically a shit load of not-games jammed into the middle of the store, and games (almost exclusively pre-owned) lining the walls.

EB Games (who GameStop purchased) used to be like that too. In the early aughts. Carried lots of licensed toys of anime, games, comics and Star Wars.

Teran

You are choosing to ignore the most recent pattern of behavior, because of the fear instilled in your from their previous behavior.

You're absolutely right. There's nothing they can do to win back my good will because, well, it's Microsoft.

HBP

Damnit, I have $4 in Gamestop credit I need to use.

Rumor: tomorrow Gamestop announces paid in store Wifi to download Xbox games to avoid data caps, trade in any eligible downloadable games for 25 cents and get 90 seconds of internet access.

Not only that, but this service doesn't even cover the sort of big titles that they make most of their money selling and re-selling.

Based on the titles in the promo image, the Digital Game Pass is going to be where pubs throw their titles when they are at the tail end of their sales model. Those titles are already rotting in 2 for $10 Gamestop clearance bins.

Right, I think people need to stop over reacting and heralding this as the death knell for retail. The games I see can all be had for bargain basement prices either brand new or at redbox or something. Halo 5? <$20 for the longest time, Mad Max? ($7 at Redbox at the end of the summer)....a lot of these have probably been offered for free at some point on psn or something too (I wonder if xbox is making sure games with gold doesn't overlap but I doubt it)

Drek

My guess is Sony is still trying to recoup the $380+ million investment they made in purchasing Gaikai and the undisclosed amount they payed for Onlive. Switching to a service like this would be basically writing off their whole game streaming initiative.

Sony's purchases of Gaikai and Onlive had as much to do with buying patents and technology as any kind of immediate profit making model. PSNow pretty well proves that with how it's been priced and slowly added software.

Sony's real goal is to be ready to move away from the dedicated hardware platform when the market is ready to do so. That might be 10 years, it might be 30, but Sony isn't really able to predict how quickly internet service speeds will ramp up, they just need to be ready to ride the wave whenever it hits. If they don't they'll be left out in the cold by the first major competitor who offers fully realized 3rd party software over your Roku or iPad.

HCgamer

Gamestop is why I own my zelda new 3ds xl my black friday black new 3ds and other rarities that now sell for exorbitant prices online I still find excellent deals there to this day.

Zee-Row

Banned
If publishers passed on the savings from not having to make physical games I would be on board with digital but they don't. I don't care about the convenience of not switching a disk on a home console. I could understand if it's a handheld and you don't wanna carry around tons of games but getting off the couch for a few seconds is a problem?

I am also of the opinion that GameStop is a necessary evil for those of us who purchase physical releases, especially locally. Being able to walk into GameStop and pick up some of the more unique titles that big box chains simply won't carry isn't an option without GS and I don't see anyone moving in to fill the void when they are gone. I'll move on Amazon if GS isn't around anymore, but being able to walk into a brick & mortar to pick up something on day one is greatly preferred to waiting around to see if the mail man is going to drop my game in the right box.

Could they really afford to not stock an entire hardware line?

Afford it? Maybe not, but they definitely could take this route. Some retailers instantly dropped Sega products when they felt left out of the Saturn's release in 1995. Now Sega is a far cry from Microsoft, but the cuts would be deep to both parties. MS still needs someone to move their hardware so that those would be customers can sign up for their services. I don't pretend to be a marketing guru or to know specific sales numbers, but I would assume that GameStop still sells a pretty big percentage of video game hardware for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

A more likely scenario would be GameStop refusing to sell new XboxOne hardware or software, cycling through only their existing used content.

I honestly don't see even this happening though.

J-Rzez

If GS goes away, and with the inevitable scuttling of HH Gregg, Best Buy is going to skyrocket in sales (Gaming, TVs, appliances) as well as Amazon. Damn. Wish i had some BB stock when they were low.

HCgamer

Slowly I have built up a small digital collection current gen I understand convenience of not having to switch carts discs I value digital less than physical when I buy digital titles it is during psn flash sales when rock bottom prices are active I do not see myself ever paying $60 or $30 for a digital title $20 or less is idea for digital.

R0ckman

To be fair, they literally unveiled Xbox One as a DRM machine. When it comes to Nintendo, people generally fear the worst based off their track record. This is for good reason, a pattern of behaviour tends to be indicative of future moves. AAA publishers and MS have been salivating at the prospect for ages; a complete lack of end user control.

This is why I think its insanely dangerous for consumers to welcome all digital with open arms on consoles. Honestly surprised it got this far.

fireflame

I would like to know, is Gamestop better in USA than in France? Y ou are going to be surprised, but here they own Micromania, and the brand is infamous for selling games at higher price than anyone else, and trying to make people suscribe to dubious stuff like extended insurance for te safety of the console or the game, fake "fidelity card" that does not really reward the buyer,etc. Even their trade in deal to only pay 129 euros for a Switch(trade in a ps4, you will only have to pay 129 to get a switch) is not popular.

Kill3r7

I don't think the service is a good value, not because of GameStop though. It's more because traditional digital sale prices have been low enough to not justify a sampler monthly service like this.

I really hope that this service doesn't reduce the number of digital sales that happen if Sony follows suit.

I like being able to pick up older games for $5-$15 digitally.

I agree with the premise that this service does not offer much value for a knowledgeable consumer who is on top of sales and has had a console since Day 1 but if you are a new user this service much like EA Access is a solid value proposition.

Steel

Banned
I have no idea what the used market for x360 looks like now, but couldn't you buy more than one game and keep it forever for $10?

R0ckman

As someone who managed a store for nearly 8 years, I'm not certain if Gamestop needs to have the importance it does. There is definitely an echochamber of "they need us" when it comes to the higher-ups. We'll see.

Is this "they need us" mentality why they flirt with insane anti-consumer antics?

Mooreberg

To whomever mentioned GameStop investing in a digital service (why does logging back in on mobile always bring up a 403 error? Impossible to quote), didn't they buy Impulse from Stardock a while back? Steam has "competition" in the broad sense that other companies are throwing their hats in, but they do it eons after the market was built and grown by Valve. And hell will freeze before the publisher specific stuff like uPlay or Origin has any real consumer benefit.

HeeHo

Gamestop is the only major videogame presence where I live. Its also the only place I can get pretty niche games when not shopping online so I don't understand why people see this as a good thing. Best Buy and Target usually have limited stock in terms of wanting something not as popular and unique.

Teran

So you don't trust Sony then, right?

Definitely not, lol. Sony's whole conveniently "pro consumer" stance was just a reaction to the massive shitstorm surrounding the early days of Xbone. When they feel they can cash in, they will.

TheMan

Hoping GameStop dies is pretty stupid. If you don't like them, don't use them. I'll admit their prices usually aren't the best, trade in values suck, and hearing the sales spiel gets old. However their selection is decent and sometimes I just wanna stop by after work, pick up a new game, and get to playing ASAP with minimal time waiting for downloads. The salt in here reeks of neckbeard uppitiness.

klee123

Could they do that?

Whilst i doubt GS will not stock MS products, one way GS can work is simply push Sony and Nintendo stuff more and dedicate more retail space and visibility in their stores.

After all, if MS is really pushing for the digital future, it makes no sense for GS to dedicate much space for them. Not to mention the razor thing margins on the console sales themselves.

Mooreberg

Between this, PS+, PS Now, Games with Gold, EA Access, and 'wait for the Steam sale' it's a wonder any games are sold at all.
Nothing about PS+ or GwG in the past few years has conveyed a message that buying a good retail game at $40+ is going to frequently burn you. It is so far the opposite that I dropped subscribing to either. Steam has done a great job with sales though.

Mael

With the way internet connexion are going, the last thing I want is bigger files for something I could do without.
As long as Amazon still sell physical products this will change nothing for me.
That digital pass thing is as interesting for me as that time they announced online paywall.

Ion Guru

Nothing about PS+ or GwG in the past few years has conveyed a message that buying a good retail game at $40+ is going to frequently burn you. It is so far the opposite that I dropped subscribing to either. Steam has done a great job with sales though.

Totally agree on PS Plus and Games with Gold. I really only keep both around for console multiplayer stuff (and I'm probably going to get rid of PS Plus by the time my year is up since my console friends are on Xbox).

As for Steam sales, they used to be much better than they are now. I still find a few games here and there each sale, but nothing like it used to be with $5 AAA (or AA) games everywhere. The implementation of Steam refunding and the drop of flash sales has really reduced the amount of insane deals on Steam. Still lots of good deals around, especially with /r/GameDeals and being able to refund digital games on Steam is a great thing for consumers overall.

I don't see any way for GameStop to continue to exist in the form they do today for another 10 years.

It's a shame because I really do love taking advantage of their trade bonuses when you can flip games for a good profit.

I buy a lot more new games than I ever would otherwise because of flips to GameStop to build credit for no money.

Madness

Lol yup, they sure were scared when they turned down EA Access

And how much did their fans miss out. You're making a mistake if you think Sony isn't being affected or keeping track by Scorpio being more powerful than Pro, newer and continuing Backwards Compatibility for Xbox One, Play Anywhere meaning digital Xbox One games having a free W10 copy, and now this.

Sony already has Playstation Now, people said PSN would not go the XBL route and that is exactly what they did. Same with Nintendo. Don't be surprised if they start looking at this 'with great interest' especially if it is another revenue stream.

levyjl1988

Banned
They still need retail to sell consoles and accessories. Games can easily be digitally downloaded, but if a customer is at a retail store they can get a hands on demo of the hardware and be informed by a representative. There is always the serendipitous of encountering a great game.

Retail stores will continue to exist.

Top Bottom