• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Pretty much saw this exact same set up at mine today. But on top of that, was greeted by an overly anxious employee who insisted on telling every person who came in the store that they have Xbox Ones in stock and most of the games are discounted (by $10...) On top of that, the employees inside made sure I was aware of its availability, even though I had to tell 3 of them that I already owned one.

Wonder if this came from store/regional manager or if corporate gave the OK hoping to move more units.

gcubed

These companies make money by selling product, of course you're going to push the product you have plenty of stock of.

MormaPope

Banned
cNhoxnV.jpg

Just think of how many Xbones are sitting there. Right now.

Those balance boards could be put to good use....

maxresdefault.jpg

Wii Squat.

kris.

Banned
yeah, i walked into best buy the other day and they had like 20 of them stacked on a table as soon as you walked in with a bunch of signs. dat desperation

Considering one of the highest selling seasons of the year just finished, yeah, I'd consider remaining stock of 'high demand' items to be overstock.
They have both sold over 2 million.

Now, would you rather have your console never be in stock except once ever week (if that), or always be available on demand?

This is exactly what Microsoft wanted. They want their system to be ready in any stores for people who didn't pre-order. You don't know their stock numbers, you don't know their sales number, aside from both selling millions and being the fastest selling systems we've seen so far. To take a guess saying it's overstocked, not selling, etc is very pessimistic.

E92 M3

Last Friday, when I was going to get my haircut I noticed a cheaply printed sign, on the neighboring GS's door, that said the Xbone was in stock. At least whoever wants one can get it.

Epcott

Ugh, that bathroom.

I like how employees are doing MS job for them with the cute hand written PSAs.
It's like those lemonade stand signs written by childrens.

Dany

Banned
that shitty little cheap fuckin sign leads me to believe that is a case of a store manager who happens to be a microsoft fanboy and is trying to take matters into his own hands. I can't imagine corporate sanctioned something that shitty.

of course not. but they have a lot in stock so the store has to move units.

My best buy had some bake sale ass signs with shity penmanship saying "Don't worry we have xbones in stock!" It was kinda creepy going in the day after Christmas and seeing every isle empty or low stock while they had piles and piles of xbones, stocked from top to bottom like a green apocolypse.

Jomjom

Banned
They have both sold over 2 million.

Now, would you rather have your console never be in stock except once ever week (if that), or always be available on demand?

This is exactly what Microsoft wanted. They want their system to be ready in any stores for people who didn't pre-order. You don't know their stock numbers, you don't know their sales number, aside from both selling millions and being the fastest selling systems we've seen so far. To take a guess saying it's overstocked, not selling, etc is very pessimistic.

You're just wasting your energy. Just wait until the December NPDs come out and the xbone sells more then there will be lots of crow eaten.

Dishwalla

Banned
I worked for GameStop for two fucking years. Yes, consoles are stored in the bathroom. Yes, they are in close proximity to the toilet. Yes, I'm sure piss and ass particles probably found themselves on merchandise you bought. GameStop is aware of this and no, they do not care. This only happens in stores with limited or no back room. My store was like that. Saganator's post is tame. I've seen muuuuuuch worse with my own two eyes.

Hell, we had DS Lites fall in our toilet a few times, lol

Hey cool, there's another reason not to buy from GameStop. Your brand new console had the potential to be in a toilet. Gee, thanks.

Sam's Club is also pushing the Xbone. My local one had a big display near the front door with Xbone boxes and games, plus some extra Xbones in their usual console storage locker.

Codeblew

The toilet picture and past/current GS employee testimonials in this thread makes me happy that I have not bought anything from GS in a decade.

Rivver

Banned
You're just wasting your energy. Just wait until the December NPDs come out and the xbone sells more then there will be lots of crow eaten.

I don't know which posts you've been reading, but most people have conceded that the Xbone will likely sell more units in the US in December. When manufacturing numbers are even remotely close and one console is available in nearly 4 times as many countries as the other...

PJV3

whats worse is the used roll is lying there in the filth it absorbed....thats fucking nasty.

Makes me really tempted to go best buy with that 20% off the next 2 years

I don't know, I'm trying to work out where female employees put their used tampons etc.

I'm hoping it isn't the bucket behind the WiiU Box.

-PXG-

My manager would take huge dumps, turn off the fan, crank up the heat and close the door. He'd leave that bitch on for hours in hopes one of us was foolish enough to enter. Yeah...meanwhile consoles baked in residual shit particles in high temperatures for quite a while.

I ain't kidding. This happened on a regular basis. None of this is bullshit

My manager would take huge dumps, turn off the fan, turn on the heat and close the door. He'd leave that bitch on for hours in hopes one of us was foolish enough to enter. Yeah...meanwhile consoles baked in residual shit particles in high temperatures for quite a while from time to time.

I ain't kidding. This happened onm a regular basis. None of this is bullshit

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Im sorry, but that shit made me laugh so hard!

Did you ever ask him why he did it? Was it just to be a giant dick?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The hand-made sign is really bizarre.

It means the push is happening at the store or district level and the sign was made by an employee at that individual store. So probably not paid for by Microsoft.

Is this for real?

Very real, and a common occurrence. The stock rooms at GameStops are notoriously small for the amount of stock and materials they carry. Things like systems can go into the bathroom because there is nowhere else to put them.

Derrick01

Banned
The gamestop near me had a lot of display signs and boxes up too, but I don't recall seeing that paper that explains what it does/doesn't have anymore. I actually asked the manager about it since I kinda know him and he said they're doing it because they keep getting them but don't sell very much in between shipments. He wasn't really sure why (then again who would know) but they were guessing it's because of the price gap and general misinformation, like people still thinking that DRM stuff was in.

-PXG-

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Im sorry, but that shit made me laugh so hard!

Did you ever ask him why he did it? Was it just to be a giant dick?

He's actually a really nice guy. He likes to pull pranks and fuck with people. Still friends with him even though I don't work there anymore.

It was funny and horrible. Our back room stunk of shit from our bathroom and rotten food from the Subway next door. Customers had no idea.

Dishwalla

Banned
My manager would take huge dumps, turn off the fan, crank up the heat and close the door. He'd leave that bitch on for hours in hopes one of us was foolish enough to enter. Yeah...meanwhile consoles baked in residual shit particles in high temperatures for quite a while.

I ain't kidding. This happened on a regular basis. None of this is bullshit

This puts it into perspective when the worst thing that happened in the employee bathroom of the pizza place I worked at in high school was the sex. Yeesh.

I remember during the early Wii years being weirded out by how much Xbox 360 dominated the storefront at all the Ebgames I frequented. #tinfoilhat

No crow will be eaten. Everyone knows Xbone will sell more in December. Unless Sony's last minute shipment was enormous.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, you're telling me a company wants to sell one of their high ticket items? Get the fuck out.

I have noticed that many Xbox Ones are readily available in NYC. However, it does cost $500 and early numbers suggest that it is selling, albeit not as well as the PS4. My guess is just that Microsoft is flooding the market to increase their install base as much as they can, and to help erase some of the negative publicity they've acquired since E3. This is only an educated guess, as I was told well over 10 years ago that retailers don't really profit off hardware. Software is where they benefit most. In the end, competition is a good thing.

FroJay

Banned
Because Microsoft has overloaded every store with units. And demand is not as high as expected.

This. Just returned a day one edition (unopened) to my local Best Buy for a refund and noticed on the floor there were 15-20 Xbones just waiting to be bought........no PS4's in stock. Interesting to see so many of them just piled up...but I do think Xbox will win December because of the lack of PS4 supply.

-PXG-

I have stories...

We had...keyword...had...a shrink wrap machine. That is until one genius decided to remove the plastic and used the machine to toast his sandwich. To make a long story short, the dumbass burnt the hell out of his sandwich and broke the machine. It was never replaced.

Me and another dude ordered pizza and soda. It was only the two of us, so we didn't care. We placed the box right on the counter, next to used games and such. Right in front of customers and the cameras. No fucks given. We got in trouble a few days later, lol

Wait, you're telling me a company wants to sell one of their high ticket items? Get the fuck out.

That's exactly what I was getting at. I don't see how some people can see constant advertising and promotion of a product as a negative thing. Is it unfathomable that perhaps the console is selling and that maybe Microsoft is just pushing out systems faster than Sony? That's not to say that the demand is the same, because while I've found a few PS4s, they always sell out and the demand is high.

He's actually a really nice guy. He likes to pull pranks and fuck with people. Still friends with him even though I don't work there anymore.

It was funny and horrible. Our back room stunk of shit from our bathroom and rotten food from the Subway next door. Customers had no idea.

Funny and horrible. Those are the best kinds of pranks.

I bet he ate that nasty subway right before he took those horrific dumps.

iXVOup7bLhylC.png

Cornbread78

Probably want to move stock. I went to Best Buy today and they had a huge pallet of XB1 systems in the middle of the aisle looking lonely.

The Best Buy in my city has had an XBox rep there every weekend all day demoing the XB1 and talking it up to customers. The Best Buy Assoc. said he tells customers the XB1 has the same power as PS4.

That's exactly what I was getting at. I don't see how some people can see constant advertising and promotion of a product as a negative thing. Is it unfathomable that perhaps the console is selling and that maybe Microsoft is just pushing out systems faster than Sony? That's not to say that the demand is the same, because while I've found a few PS4s, they always sell out and the demand is high.
Promotion a negative thing?

What are some of you guys reading in this thread?

Tagyhag

Man people are incredibly paranoid here.

Yes everyone, Gamestop and MS have clearly teamed up into an ultimate evil duo who will stop at nothing to destroy the only hope for gaming, Sony.

God help us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom