• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Top 20 NES Games Part 1

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYBnx8Gxy0

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/720gqk/gt-countdown-top-20-nes-games---part-1--20-11

Part 2:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/tyjaqh/gt-countdown-top-20-nes-games---part-2--10-1

20. Bionic Commando
19. Tetris
18. Kirby's Adventure
17. Duck Tales
16. Ghosts n' Goblins
15. Metroid
14. Final Fantasy
13. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
12. Contra
11. Zelda II: Adventure of Link
10. Mike Tyson's Punchout
09. Ninja Gaiden
08. Mega Man 3
07. River City Ransom
06. Castlevania
05. Dragon Warrior IV
04. Super Mario Bros.
03. Mega Man 2
02. The Legend of Zelda
01. Super Mario Bros. 3

All fantastic games, though I think there are games that hold up better then FF. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse & Zelda II: Adventure of Link would be in my top 5 for sure though.

Could u spoiler tag the list please? You know how some people are.

I didn't even know there was a Kirby on NES. I thought his first appearance was game boy. I bet Mario 3 is numero uno.

Lothar

Banned
Pretty good 11-20

Top ten should be some order of

Super Mario Bros 1-3, Zelda, Mega Man2, Mega Man 3, Dragon Warrior 4, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master

entremet

Pretty good 11-20

Top ten should be some order of

Super Mario Bros 1-3, Zelda, Mega Man2, Mega Man 3, Dragon Warrior 4, Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master

Battletoads? Nah

The Double Dragons are better. Well sans 3, which was garbage. But River City Ransom may take that beat em up spot.

Sojiro

Thinking SMB 3 will be #1 as well, and honestly i'm ok with that. Would like to see River City Rampage, Contra/Super C, and Dragon Quest III in the top 10 as well.

*Don't know how I didn't see Contra at #12. Kind of surprised it didn't hit the top 10, same with Castlevania 3

Hard to assess without the top 10, but those are generally good picks. Contra would definitely be in the top 10 for me though, and Metroid is arguably the best exploration based game outside of Legend of Zelda in spite of some arbitrary weirdness. Glad to see DuckTales getting a shout out.

tuffy

Needs to have River City Ransom, Zelda and the Super Mario Bros. trilogy in the top 10, at the very least.

Top 20 from GT?

Some are already lower than they would be for me, but it's a given that everyone's Top 25-50 NES games are 99% agreeable and just in different orders.

Jucksalbe

Banned
A bit hard to judge the list without seeing the top 10, but so far all are good games. With FF1 being so low, I doubt we'll see Dragon Quest on the list and I don't really expect them to rank FF3 at all.
Expecting SMB3 at #1 like most, even though I probably wouldn't put it there myself. Also expecting lots of complaining about which Mega Man they'll eventually include in the top 10.

I'm looking forward to see if there will be some not so obvious entries in the top 10, maybe Little Nemo or something like that.

I think from the ones mentioned already, I was most surprised that Metroid didn't make the top 10.

Peltz

Boy, my tastes are just different from most people it seems. Contra and Castlevania games wouldn't make my list even though I think they're great games.

Castlevania 3 and Kirby's Adventure could be in my top 5 NES games, I'm happy enough seeing them make the list.

Let me think...SMB3, Mega Man 3, Castlevania 3, Kirby's Adventure and Gargoyle's Quest 2 would round up a quick top 5 for me.

As someone born in 1988 I am right on the cusp of being a gamer who just has a hard time relating to NES games. Outside of a select Nintendo few the entire library just seems so shallow compared to everything that came after them. Which is bizarre because I relate really well to a ton of original Game Boy games which are arguably more primitive that NES games.

Decent list but I've tried playing some of those and they just don't click with me.

leroidys

As someone born in 1988 I am right on the cusp of being a gamer who just has a hard time relating to NES games. Outside of a select Nintendo few the entire library just seems so shallow compared to everything that came after them. Which is bizarre because I relate really well to a ton of original Game Boy games which are arguably more primitive that NES games.

Decent list but I've tried playing some of those and they just don't click with me.
Huh. I'm born in '87 and NES era is basically the Golden Age to me.

Metroid is too rough nowadays. Starting with 30 energy is too much of a hassle, unfortunately. Most of the others are still good today.

Burt

Look

People

Mario 3 was good

But everyone knows the lock for that first slot is Bubble Bobble

And then Burger Time

I was huge into FF1 and it got a huge boost from Nintendo Power -- Nintendo even published it in America. The game hasn't aged all that well but the series endured. I would totally put it in the top 20.

Zelda II however, is hot garbage.

Will be cool to see the rest of the list!

Top Bottom