• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming journalist union striking (GMG) - asks for people not to visit Kotaku, Lifehacker, Gizmodo and more

nush

3f61du.jpg

j0hnnix

3 of those issues sound like my company..

The strike... I never visited to begin with so I've been supportive already. Keep on keeping on.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Oh, I won't go to any of these sites, but it's not in the interest of helping gender expansive people or birthing parents.

Sega Orphan

Banned
What a bunch of raving psychopaths.
I'm sure the blue hair brigade on Ree will be championing this cause.
The crazy thing is I don't visit those sites because they are toxic cesspools full of bigots with pens, yet the union folks tend to think they aren't as extreme left as they should be.
When you hire diversity for the sake of diversity this is what you end up with.

zapiks44

As for this actual strike, as others have said, I haven't been vising those sites for years anyway. My ideal outcome is they both stay deadlocked forever and eventually those sites all get shut down.

False

I’ve refused to visit these sites BECAUSE of their writers. So honestly I hope they all get let go. Most normal people don’t make such demands of their employers, they go find work elsewhere. If there even is an elsewhere for these absurd caterings.

Game journalists think they have any actual value?

giphy.gif

I don't like seeing people suffer or fuck themselves over, but come on... the entirety of game journalists are just re-tweeters and outrage manufacturers. The world would be a better place if they just gave up, walked down the street and became part of the tent city in whatever shithole they reside in.

Vaelka

I am just fucking tired of these American narcissists who think the entire industry revolves around them.
It's just annoying.
I only really see devs and game journalists in the US do this shit and proclaim to '' speak for the industry ''.
The only exceptions I can think of are people from sites like Eurogamer, and despite their name they still operate like a US site and often reference US politics.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If unionized gaming journalism jobs were a thing, I might have stayed in the industry.

These jobs are insanely competitive, thousands apply for every opening. And that should mean that those that make the cut are rewarded, but instead it's used against them to offer substandard pay and benefits, like "there's a line of people who would take your job."

I wish them luck.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Woke clickbait “journalists” are a dime a dozen. You people aren’t worth shit. Get a real job that provides value to other people and then you will get pay/benefits accordingly.

Some of these requests are fair enough, but if they had real leverage they could have negotiated their salaries and benefits individually... Or a sizeable number of people would have found other (similar) jobs, that would have forced the employer to change its tune on salaries and remote work at least.

These two make them look like a bunch of lunatics.
Management doesn’t want to codify the widely accepted WPATH standards of care for our trans and gender-expansive colleagues.
This is just strange, people should not be forced to display their pronouns, etc.
Kicking Diversity Efforts Down the Road
My bet is that a company in a city like new York is already staffed by a very diverse and inclusive group of people and someone is upset that a white dude who did not bend over got a promotion... So they want to change how they are attributed.

Seriously, until a few weeks ago I worked at a place where the boss (owner of the company) created a truly demotivating work environment, did all he could to prevent people from doing renote work, did not encourage team work (the benefits were good, but this is not always enough). Anyway, people left in drove and many things changed, not everything, but there was serious adjustments. Now it's 3 days from home per week, there is a new CEO (but the old guy is still pulling the strings for a little longer, and it shows).

I'm gone, the new place seems to be headed in the right direction and I make way more money (the old place offered to match and hire me an assistant... I could not bring myself to stay).

So no need to pay for a union to send a message, leverage is a thing.

Boy what a move! “Let’s show our employer we want them to listen to us by driving away whatever small amounts of traffic still goes to our site!” What a big brain move. Now, instead of working from home, they can stay home and be unemployed! Genius!

Those sites never had anything of interest to me. If they get new writers in, perhaps they might have some content worth reading.

nush

These people must have come from another reality or something. This stuff is unreal.

That's what happens when you live in a social media bubble that validates your opinions and your opinions are those that the bubble validates you for. Real life isn't social media.

Top Bottom