• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming market in Brazil now earns more than the UK's

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Making this thread by t0rment's request. Translation by Google with quick fixes by me:

http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/game...atura-mais-do-que-no-reino-unido-diz-gfk.html

Gaming market in Brazil now earns more than the UK's, says GFK
According to the consulting company, the country is going against the global trend. 'FIFA 13' is the top selling game in Brazil in 2013 so far, says GFK.

The console market in Brazil already earns more than the one in the UK, Germany and Spain, consultancy GFK said on Thursday (24) during the preview of the gaming fair Brazil Game Show (BGS) 2013. The French market is still ahead of the Brazilian.

According to GFK, the country is in the opposite direction of the overall global trend, and is growing. The Brazilian consumer has been after more video game consoles and games in the formal market, and has been spending more on official products. In the games area, sales increased 25% between 2012 and 2013 in Brazil, according to the consulting firm.

GFK also released the list of best-selling games in Brazil between January and September 2013. During the period, "FIFA 13" was the top seller, followed by "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013" in the second position.

"Grand Theft Auto V", which was launched in the country in September 19, got third place in sales in the same year with much less sales time than its competitors.

The list of top 10 games goes on with "God of War: Ascension," "The Last of Us", "Call of Duty: Black Ops II", "Just Dance 4", "Assassin's Creed III", "Grand Theft Auto IV " and "Assassin's Creed II”. Counting only the month of September, "GTA V" is by far the sales leader.

Top selling games in Brazil between January and September 2013
1º 'Fifa 13'
2º 'Pro Evolution Soccer 2013'
3º 'Grand Theft Auto V'
4º 'God of War: Ascension'
5º 'The Last of US'
6º 'Call of Duty: Black Ops II'
7º 'Just Dance 4'
8º 'Assassin's Creed III'
9º 'Grand Theft Auto IV'
10º 'Assassin's Creed II'

New Generation

According to GFK, the high price of the two new consoles, the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, should make the devices not sell many units when they are launched in the Brazilian market in November. The PlayStation 4 will cost R$4000 and Xbox One, R$2200.

To the research company, only local manufacturing of the two new consoles - which will reduce their prices in the market - can popularize the new generation of video games in Brazil. Otherwise, the Brazilians will take longer to migrate to new platforms. Sales of PS3 and Xbox 360 in the country remain strong.

Comparison with the world

The average price of a console in Brazil is 345 euros (R$1048,50) according to GFK. In France, the figure drops to 208 euros, while in Argentina it rises to 404 euros.

Brazil is gradually switching to the generation of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The impetus for this switch began in 2011 with local manufacturing of Microsoft’s Xbox, which reduced the price of the console.

edit:
Make sure to note only hardware sales in $ from January to August 2013 were higher:

gfkbrazileuropelatiny2murx.jpg

Elchele

Wow, Argentina making more money for console-makers than Switzerland and Portugal? Considering the difference in prices, that's amazing

Riki

And this is why Sony, MS and Nintendo are trying to break in to emerging markets. These are the future.

Skeff

Is it possible this is because of the slow uptake in PS360 ad they are late to the party? or do we think this will continue into next gen (assuming Ps4 gets a price adjustment)?

jerry1594

Wow, Argentina making more money for console-makers than Switzerland and Portugal? Considering the difference in prices, that's amazing

I am almost positive games are expensive in Portugal and especially CH. Plus Portuguese and Swiss population is ~17,000,000 versus Argentina's ~41,000,000

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the PS3 and 360 are selling moderately well in Brazil at a relatively high price, shouldn't this make sense? The UK market is in steep decline given the old age of the hardware. Wouldn't it make sense?

The average price of a game in Brazil is 345 euros (R$1048,50) according to GFK. In France, the figure drops to 208 euros, while in Argentina it rises to 404 euros.

Game has to mean System right? A bit misleading as I don't think a game in France costs $287 USD.

Crazy to think about Brazil emerging like this, it wasn't too long ago where the joke was about them finally getting the PS2.

Makes me excited to see what is going to happen with China.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only problem for these global companies is that taxes and regulations make it very difficult to take any money you make outside of the country.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Game has to mean System right? A bit misleading as I don't think a game in France costs $287 USD.

Crazy to think about Brazil emerging like this, it wasn't too long ago where the joke was about them finally getting the PS2.

Makes me excited to see what is going to happen with China.
Oops, good catch. Missed that one while doing the fixes, I was supposed to change "videogame" to console or system but ended up only deleting "video". It's fixed now.

Portugeezer

Considering the % of poor people in Argentina, it's quite impressive. And again, the price difference is huge, and the average salary difference is also huge.

I agree.

But in Portugal's case there is not much money for people to spend on games right now; as you can see it suffered the biggest drop on that list.

Caronte

I think this is just for hardware, not software. Which would make sense since PS3 and Xbox 360 have been in the market for almost a decade in Europe.

Eoin

That graph is for hardware only, the UK is a pretty saturated market hardware wise. Roughly 22m current gen consoles sold in a market with roughly 25m households. It will be intresting to see what it looks like after the new consoles launch.

Jburton

Banned
If the PS3 and 360 are selling moderately well in Brazil at a relatively high price, shouldn't this make sense? The UK market is in steep decline given the old age of the hardware. Wouldn't it make sense?

Bingo! ..... plus an increase in the middle class and a strengthening economy.

That and around 4 times the population.

vgBR.com

Banned
When was that ? Did they announce anything of interest ? I don't recall seeing a GAF thread of it.

It was about 2 hours ago :p

They announced a Brazil PS3 Bundle for GT6 with Ayrton Senna:
2013-10-2501_16_12-adm7b04.png

Some excuses for the price of the PS4 here, Play the PS4 games on Vita compatibility and the PS+ price in Brazil.

I'm uploading it to Youtube and will post the entire conference here when it's done.

jnWake

I'm surprised that both Argentina and Chile are bigger markets than Switzerland and Portugal... Hope we start getting online stores soon then.

So on the real news:
France has displaced the UK as the biggest European sub-market for games.
Exactly. Which doesn't make any sense. So probably just hardware. At least it would be shocking to me if that happens. UK is dead, but that dead? No way.

Alchemy

How bad is the wealth inequality in Argentina? It could be a whale based economy, basically the wealthy have no problem with crazy high prices while the majority of people wouldn't be able to afford gaming devices and software even if it was reasonably priced. If you're selling very few pieces of hardware and software the only way to make up the difference is to charge absurdly high prices (which combines poorly with all the various taxes).

cacildo

Well, there´s A LOT of room to grow.

We just need the console manufacturers to come work with us, make your system here, create jobs, create a local videogame market.

Then the prices can go down and the sales go up

When a game is released in the US it costs $60. Then after some time the price drops. $30, $20, sometimes you can find a game for less than $10
This NEVER happens in Brasil, because we dont have a decent videogame market.
When a store has any videogames it will hold its price forever.
You can find PS2 games sitting in the same shelf for years costing $50 (in fact there´s a copy of GODHAND costing almost $50 for the past 2 years in a local store in my town)

Madness

Pretty par for the course. Aside from a handful of countries, the European markets are very small in terms of consumers. Will only get worse as generations drag on.

Top Bottom