• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming market in Brazil now earns more than the UK's

Vizzeh

Banned
Its prob not difficult to lead at the end of a 8 year cycle.. their only taking off as the UK is dying down... next year and year after it will be business as usual.

Saty

So the title only applies to "only hardware sales in $ from January to August 2013 were higher"? Then it's a bit misleading.

LTWheels

Next gen consoles will create another boom in European markets. In the UK alone, the PS4 has broken previous pre-order records.

kyser73

To the research company, only local manufacturing of the two new consoles - which will reduce their prices in the market - can popularize the new generation of video games in Brazil. Otherwise, the Brazilians will take longer to migrate to new platforms. Sales of PS3 and Xbox 360 in the country remain strong.

This is pretty much what Sony said(and I can't imagine MS being any different) about developing markets - current gen hardware will continue to grow, the mature markets will be switching to the newer consoles.

Metra

When a game is released in the US it costs $60. Then after some time the price drops. $30, $20, sometimes you can find a game for less than $10
This NEVER happens in Brasil, because we dont have a decent videogame market.
When a store has any videogames it will hold its price forever.

We do have a decent videogame market. Consoles and games are absurdly expensive here because of equally absurd taxes. That's the main problem. The sooner people realize it, sooner we can solve it.

lefantome

Next gen consoles will create another boom in European markets. In the UK alone, the PS4 has broken previous pre-order records.

that's it.

Sooner or later Brazil will take over the UK but maybe in 2-3 years.

I still doubt what GFK said, the Uk market used to be 3x the italian market for instance, I doubt Brazilians buy more games per capita than italians.

And this is just half of the story.

It's important to mention that MANY MANY people buy games and consoles from the grey market (myself included, even when it comes to digital services like eShop and PSN, I just bought Ace Attorney and Resident Evil off the NA eShop (Florida), for example).

3DS XL Formal: 1.200,00
3DS XL Grey: 700,00

PS3 Formal: 1.100,00
PS3 Grey: 800,00

And for those wondering, Nintendo pays DUST to Brazil, they really don't give a fuck. :(

Relevant to this thread: Capcom: Brazil is our second biggest market in the Americas

jett

D-Member
I'm really surprised a this news.

I'm surprised so many dumb fools buy their gaming hardware at official retailers in Latin America where they rip you the fuck off. I can only imagine how good sales would be if the prices were more in line with those in the states. At least game prices have come down, I think it's because they manufacture the games in Latin America now. A new PS3/PS4 game at an official retailer will go for $72 more or less in Peru, tax included. Used to be $90.

edit: Now that I think about it, if you remove the tax it's actually pretty close to $60... :p I guess we're doing it all right, although hardware prices are a problem. They really need to start making those sunnavabitches here too. The price for a PS4 is $685. That's just unacceptable. I imagine in the grey market those things will be $500-$600 for a long time. Although frankly I don't understand how these costs work out. Sony LED TVs are actually cheaper here than in America, fairly certain they don't make them here either. :p

And this is why Sony, MS and Nintendo are trying to break in to emerging markets. These are the future.

Are they even trying tho? With the outrageous prices they sell their consoles at, I don't think so. Only Apple more or less, and Valve are actually pricing competitively in those countries, from the top of my head.

Not surprised, most of my friends here in the UK have really reduced the amount of games they buy. Outside of Pokemon and GTA (and maybe Fifa) I don't recall anyone I know saying they'd bought any games lately. And those we do buy are often second hand or massively reduced bomba prices.

Nobody here has the money to blow £45+ on a new game at launch.

It always surprises me how big God of War is in Brazil.

I know, right?
People love GoW here. And since June everybody I know played the Last of Us too.

Even my Father (who knows nothing about video games) asked me what it was about because people at his work were talking about it.
Freaked me out a little bit.

absolutelly

brazil must the the most (or one of most) profitable market in many stuffs...brazilians love pay high prices to show "i'm an idiot that pay a lot to almost nothing...but i spent lots of money ok?"

Not pointing fingers, but this is how people try to justify piracy here.
They like to feel superior because they are not beeing exploited by the companies or the government.

All bulshit in my opinion.

Brazil Population: 198.7 million
France: 65.7
Germany: 81.89
UK: 63.23

Surely population numbers matter

True, but the number of people that can afford games/consoles in Brazil is probably lower than all the 3 above.

They are selling because they are new here. Gaming was a "hardcore niche" thing here until this generation and is really just hitting mainstream. There's a huge market to sell to if they can get the price right.

That's why Sony is screwed here. MS is gonna take a huge lead on the market and I doubt that most people will buy 2 consoles this gen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unlike in the UK, 3DS isn't nearly dead in France (it's doing really good there actually).

For all the Summer, it's been the best selling console in UK. Probably, since Pokémon XL got released, it started selling better than everything else again, thanks to Pokémon X/Y coming shortly after. But yeah, France is European's strongest 3DS market right now, especially software-wise (while UK, despite some recent improvements for specific kinds of titles, is still the worst on this front).

Kouriozan

France
and I
buy Japanese stuff, thanks to them we're still getting some localization :p

Also, yeah, the 3DS is fairly healthy in France.

TheSh466y

Neo Member
Wow! Looks like Chile, Argentina and Brazil are important markets who represents South America. That's great but:
- When the videogames will be correctly priced (PS4 in Brazil for example, US$ 500 for a Wii U in Chile, US$ 89 for a game in the PSN Argentina)?
- When the online stores will be equally to important markets (USA, UK, etc), in content, prices and availability (I'm watching you, Nintendo)?
- When the dubbing and localization in videogames will be less "european spaniard" and more "neutral spanish" in the region (less modisms, or at least English with neutral subtitles)?

My two "pesos"...

PD: Sorry for my bad english...

PD2: Greeting from Chile

Endo Punk

Well of course. UK hasn't been a relevant gaming market since the early 00's. Having seen the top 10 full of Fifia, COD and fucking Zumba, man we suck :( Even Dominik Diamond left us for Canada.

puzl

Banned
Well of course. UK hasn't been a relevant gaming market since the early 00's. Having seen the top 10 full of Fifia, COD and fucking Zumba, man we suck :( Even Dominik Diamond left us for Canada.

To be fair, COD, Fifa etc... are top of pretty much every gaming market. They're popular titles with the masses.

Kssio_Aug

Brasil should recieve more respect at the game scene. Its sad how everything here is not just high taxed, but also over priced by the market itself.

Sure a big portion of the population buy expensive stuff just "to show it". But also, is not everyone thats willing to buy at the grey market or import the console, and prefer to buy at the proper store to feel safe about the guarantees and access.

I was already prepared to pre-order a PS4 in a proper store, expeculating a real price with all the taxes included and some extra profit for the store / sony, but I could not expect that much at all (in reallity I was expecting almost half of the oficial price). As a result of it, I bought mine at Amazon.UK. Its not what I was expecting, neither what I wanted to, but I could not find a better solution to get my PS4 at launch, and Im not willing to pay 1830 dollars for a console that costs 399 dollars.

Also the games... Steam sells PC games for a fair price, but console games is still super abusive. A game of 60 dollars, costs to us 90 dollars even in digital purchase, at PSN or Xbox Live!! And the high taxes DO NOT APPLY at digital games!

Like a gamer I still dream to consume video-games officially in Brasil for a fair price. But by the reallity we live nowadays, I am a consumer that import almost everything thats game-related.

Raist

Banned
France #1 in Europe and quite significantly more than the UK? When the fuck did this happen?

edit: hmmm HW only numbers. Total figures might tell a different story.

Kimppis

Wouldn't that make them the third biggest market after USA and Japan?

Yeah, I think that's the case. console gaming wise. But if you think about video games as a whole, China is probably already bigger than the US. If not yet, then soon anyway. Russia is pretty big too (outside consoles atleast) and India's growth rate has to be pretty massive too.

I am shocked at those numbers. Compared to buying power, a game that retails here for 179 BRL is the same as paying 120 dollars in a game in the US, it´s still too much.

New games would sell a lot more here if they were 50-80 BRL. When the minimum wage is under 700 BRL, you are leaving a lot of the market in the dust with high prices.

I´m shocked because myself and my group of friends we´ve been gaming for what? Twenty years or so and it´s like we donpt exist, because nobody buys a single thing on those "official" retailers.

Living in the south of Brazil means we are right next to Paraguay, so gaming, for everybody that i know, has always being linked to the imports from Paraguay.

I wonder what the stats would be if the prices were right, like 600-700 for the consoles and 50-80 for games.

allansm

I am shocked at those numbers. Compared to buying power, a game that retails here for 179 BRL is the same as paying 120 dollars in a game in the US, it´s still too much.

New games would sell a lot more here if they were 50-80 BRL. When the minimum wage is under 700 BRL, you are leaving a lot of the market in the dust with high prices.

I´m shocked because myself and my group of friends we´ve been gaming for what? Twenty years or so and it´s like we donpt exist, because nobody buys a single thing on those "official" retailers.

Living in the south of Brazil means we are right next to Paraguay, so gaming, for everybody that i know, has always being linked to the imports from Paraguay.

I wonder what the stats would be if the prices were right, like 600-700 for the consoles and 50-80 for games.

Making consoles cheaper in third world countries is something difficult because they are expansive to make, depending on the price it would mean losing a lot of money. Games on the other hand should indeed be cheaper. Sales in first world countries are usually enough to pay for development, so publishers wouldn't be losing anything releasing games for cheap in third world countries. Just region lock the consoles so Europeans and Americans can't import those cheap games.

Top Bottom