• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming press invited to Rocksteady Studios (embargo will be lifted over a month)

TimFL

Please, a Superman game. Would really be interested what Rocksteady could pull off with a more open world approach, flight gameplay and interesting super strength/overall Superman powers/combat.

Beelzebubs

Please, a Superman game. Would really be interested what Rocksteady could pull off with a more open world approach, flight gameplay and interesting super strength/overall Superman powers/combat.

I still think Superman is too overpowered a character to make an interesting game.

TimFL

I still think Superman is too overpowered a character to make an interesting game.

Possibly. But we should get atleast one proper Superman game (no I don't consider Superman Returns a proper Superman game, the flying is good but the combat etc. is horrible). They could think of a way to make it work, like focusing on keeping the city up and running or introducing kryptonite or other villains that are capable of injuring Superman.

KORNdoggy

I still liked the idea of them doing a TMNT game. I feel like they'd nail it. But whatever the case, please...no more batman.

I still liked the idea of them doing a TMNT game. I feel like they'd nail it. But whatever the case, please...no more batman.

Go back to gamersyde!
:p

Yeah, I was wishing they were working on that rumoured TMNT game. After how bad Out of the Shadows was, I just want a good TMNT game with preferably 4 player co-op. Heck, just have challenge kind of levels with a similar Batman combat system. Although a TMNT sandbox game where you go around NYC like a ninja at night would be badass.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
lets see.

a Green Arrow game can be super as well if they take notes from the TV show.

a game for Aquaman will be interesting as well

problem is other the other top DC heroes that are hard to make games for because of their crazy abilities

Superman --> too powerful, too sacred for some people and they will hate anything not pure saint. so story will suck no matter what.
Flash --> super speed wont work in games..see 3D sonic.
WonderWoman --> just like Superman
Green Lantern --> can't make unlimited sorts of attacks for him

Mackins

Thinking about it, if they made a Superman Origins game like Smallville where he doesn't have all his powers to begin with and unlocks each of them during the course of the game might be an idea.

Voror

lets see.

a Green Arrow game can be super as well if they take notes from the TV show.

a game for Aquaman will be interesting as well

problem is other the other top DC heroes that are hard to make games for because of their crazy abilities

Superman --> too powerful, too sacred for some people and they will hate anything not pure saint. so story will suck no matter what.
Flash --> super speed wont work in games..see 3D sonic.
WonderWoman --> just like Superman
Green Lantern --> can't make unlimited sorts of attacks for him

Gadget based heroes do work much better than ones with actual super powers when building a game around them, though there are exceptions I think such as Spider-Man.

Green Arrow could make a great choice for instance on a new hero to try.

I actually could see Aquaman working potentially, though I suppose the question would be how much would take place on land and how much underwater. You'd need a fun swimming mechanic as well.

Thinking about it, if they made a Superman Origins game like Smallville where he doesn't have all his powers to begin with and unlocks each of them during the course of the game might be an idea.

This is the closest I can think of on how to best make a Superman game. Like have flight be a power you don't get until later in the game and at first you can only do high jumping.

Seriously, isn't print dead yet? Why do companies still give exclusives to mags with diminishing readerships instead of just having a big reveal on their own site? It seems like they would get a lot more reach that way. Do the mags pay them a lot to attend the event, or what?

Derrick01

Banned
Seriously, isn't print dead yet? Why do companies still give exclusives to mags with diminishing readerships instead of just having a big reveal on their own site? It seems like they would get a lot more reach that way. Do the mags pay them a lot to attend the event, or what?

Game Informer's one of the largest magazines in the US since they attach themselves to gamestop memberships. I just wish they didn't force us to go digital, it's so hard to read a magazine on a screen for me.

Dugna

Game Informer's one of the largest magazines in the US since they attach themselves to gamestop memberships. I just wish they didn't force us to go digital, it's so hard to read a magazine on a screen for me.

It even has a digital version so it's just about the magazine being popular not about paper or digital.

emb

What I'm expecting: "Surprise! Batman is an annual series now, traded off ala CoD. Have fun."

What I'm hoping for: "Rocksteady is working on [anything that isn't Batman]!"

I love Batman and all, but yearly sequels get me burnt out on series fast. And I feel like RockSteady has more or less explored what they were going for with the Arkham games for now. Who knows though. I could still get excited regardless of what it is.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gadget based heroes do work much better than ones with actual super powers when building a game around them, though there are exceptions I think such as Spider-Man.

Green Arrow could make a great choice for instance on a new hero to try.

I think it'd be cool if WB Games Montreal went off and did Green Arrow. They can do some different things over there while keeping a lot of the Arkham foundation, and Rocksteady can keep doing Batman.

DaBoss

Month-long embargo? I know it doesn't change anything for us, but now we know press knows about it and have to wait that long to find out what they've been working on. :(

Oh well, good things comes to those who wait.

Voror

Agreed. I like my print issues and don't care if the digital version links to videos or what have you.

I think it'd be cool if WB Games Montreal went off and did Green Arrow. They can do some different things over there while keeping a lot of the Arkham foundation, and Rocksteady can keep doing Batman.

True, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Rocksteady move on to something other than Batman as it'd be great to see them flex out with some new systems and challenges.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
True, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Rocksteady move on to something other than Batman as it'd be great to see them flex out with some new systems and challenges.

Sure, I mean at this point I'd be interested in anything Rocksteady did. I was just trying to think of a scenario that might be mutually agreeable to WB execs and DC fans/gamers. They can keep their Batman cash cow and maybe start a new valuable series since Green Arrow has indeed been growing in popularity. We can get some additional variety. That might also help them prevent people from burning out on Batman.

Or... we end up with Batman annually.

.la1n

My only complaint really, it is difficult to read on screen. I'm old.

Dysun

It's time

tumblr_lxto55onzj1qdep0so1_500.jpg

Voror

Game Informer is digital only now? Since when?

It's both physical and digital, but they are trying to push the digital more.

Sure, I mean at this point I'd be interested in anything Rocksteady did. I was just trying to think of a scenario that might be mutually agreeable to WB execs and DC fans/gamers. They can keep their Batman cash cow and maybe start a new valuable series since Green Arrow has indeed been growing in popularity. We can get some additional variety. That might also help them prevent people from burning out on Batman.

Or... we end up with Batman annually.

Yes, they're at a point I think where they could try something other than Batman and get excitement from people because of what they've done before. Something like that could probably work, though I must confess I don't know how big of a studio they are.

Well, to be fair, each Arkham game came out two years after the previous one so that isn't as bad as Assassin's Creed for instance. But yes, something like that is best avoided I think.

Superman cannot work as a 3rd person character game at all. He can fly. That breaks the game.

Maybe some sort of hybrid GTA open world esque brawler. But still ton of problems.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I hope it's not another Batman: Arkham game but something drastically different in Batman franchise. I like Arkham games but I think there's nothing more to say or show to us and Arkham Origins should be the end of the story.

Mackins

Superman cannot work as a 3rd person character game at all. He can fly. That breaks the game.

Maybe some sort of hybrid GTA open world esque brawler. But still ton of problems.

On Smallville, he can't fly until the last episode, over the course of like 10 seasons he gradually unlocks each of his powers. I think it could work that way.
I'd still prefer Batman though. Superman is too over-powered unless he'd be fighting other Kryptonians which kinda wouldn't work.

What I'm expecting: "Surprise! Batman is an annual series now, traded off ala CoD. Have fun."

I love Batman and all, but yearly sequels get me burnt out on series fast. And I feel like RockSteady has more or less explored what they were going for with the Arkham games for now. Who knows though. I could still get excited regardless of what it is.
What indication is there that this game won't be a 2015 release? Even if it was a 2014 game it'd still be the one instance of the series being yearly aside from the Wii U port of Arkham City. Otherwise there were about two years between every Batman game; 2009, 2011, 2013. That's not really so bad considering how other franchises are bled dry routinely.

That said, I only want Rocksteady to be working on Batman because I think the story and concept needs one more entry to round everything out. City was great, but still had a ton of loose ends and concepts that could have been fleshed out better. After a final Arkham game, I'd like to see the team tackle something new. Maybe leave the Arkham series to WB Interactive since apparently Origins' biggest sin was it not being very polished.

My feelings exactly

ZeroX03

Banned
What indication is there that this game won't be a 2015 release? Even if it was a 2014 game it'd still be the one instance of the series being yearly aside from the Wii U port of Arkham City.

The reason that the games are biyearly is because that's as fast as they've been able to produce them. Asylum was 07 to 09, City was 09 to 11, Origins was 11 to 13 and Rocksteady's current title is 11 to present. Their title has been going on the longest, I'm not sure WB would give them four years to develop the title just for ceremony's sake. If they can push it out this year, they will. They want the annual profit.

Alienous

I'd take Rocksteady's finale to the Arkham Saga. They are, after all, animating Asylum this year. It's likely another Arkhamverse game.

I'd take Arkham 3. Next-gen. Show the events that cause Bruce to retire the cowl. Go nuts. Heck, kill Bruce and make Dick Batman. I think Rocksteady can go one game further before ending their involvement.

Kouichi

Man, I would kill for a Green Arrow game by Rocksteady. But it's definitely going to be another Batman.

Still excited.

Andrew.

Banned

Yet you're on this forum 24/7 looking at a screen and you have no issues. Don't really see the difference. Reading words on a screen is reading words on a screen.

Does not compute.

Mackins

Yet you're on this forum 24/7 looking at a screen and you have no issues. Don't really see the difference. Reading words on a screen is reading words on a screen.

Does not compute.

If it's anything like the UK's GamesMaster digital version, it's just a pdf that has the scanned pages of the magazine and whilst it works and is easily read in the magazine, it's really hard to read in the pdf and you need to keep on zooming in and out.

Top Bottom