• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Johnson could not name his favorite foreign leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
if you watched the wole thing be barely got away with the question: Who's you favortie supreme court justice?"

he went: uhhhh Kennedy?
Again, that's another difficult question for a libertarian-leaner, you have to decide which one sucks the least since they're all terrible. And you're left with only Thomas and Kennedy as even remotely plausible choices. And Thomas is out for a whole host of good reasons especially if you think state powers don't trump individual rights...but so is Kennedy. But if you have to pick just one...it depends.

Personally, I like Angry Kennedy. But Blase or Happy Kennedy is no good.

Macam

Banned
How do you actually answer this question? I mean, most of foreign policy is pretending you love everyone equally up until the point you need to hate them. I feel like "Hollande, and all them other mothers can fuck it" probably isn't the world's best answer. It doesn't help that there are no elected Libertarian heads of state or government in the Western world.

I actually sort of wonder how Obama would have answered this. There has to be a cool way to play this without snubbing people, but I'm not sure what it is.

This isn't rocket science.

I mean, David Cameron probably wouldn't have been the worst person to choose offhand, albeit with some caveats. There are plenty of answers he could've chosen if he cared to know more about the world outside; plenty of progressive candidates aren't too pleased about the same killings Johnson bangs on about, but have some sense about where they're taking place and the context around it.

He seems like a decent guy, but it isn't a gotcha question. He just doesn't care to know, and that's fine. For his target audience, they probably don't care, as long as his surname isn't Trump or Clinton.

Also, there's a reason there aren't any libertarian heads of state in the Western world. It's very much an American thing.

Acorn

This isn't rocket science.

I mean, David Cameron probably wouldn't have been the worst person to choose offhand, albeit with some caveats. There are plenty of answers he could've chosen if he cared to know more about the world outside; plenty of progressive candidates aren't too pleased about the same killings Johnson bangs on about, but have some sense about where they're taking place and the context around it.

He seems like a decent guy, but it isn't a gotcha question. He just doesn't care to know, and that's fine. For his target audience, they probably don't care, as long as his surname isn't Trump or Clinton.

Also, there's a reason there aren't any libertarian heads of state in the Western world. It's very much an American thing.
Cameron is gone though so couldn't use him.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Again, that's another difficult question for a libertarian-leaner, you have to decide which one sucks the least since they're all terrible. And you're left with only Thomas and Kennedy as even remotely plausible choices. And Thomas is out for a whole host of good reasons especially if you think state powers don't trump individual rights...but so is Kennedy. But if you have to pick just one...it depends.

Personally, I like Angry Kennedy. But Blase or Happy Kennedy is no good.

you know presidents pick supreme court justices, right? you know he would have to do that and weigh history in his pick, yeah?

tuxfool

Banned
Cameron is gone though so couldn't use him.

There is nothing preventing him from mentioning previous leaders, provided he mentioned that they're no longer in power.

As others have noted he could have given any answer or even a non-answer. Instead the question stumped him.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
why are you still defending this guy? He obviously is a joke. I dont get it

Libertarians should just be honest and say "I want the government out of literally everything, and if that meant electing a macaroni portrait of Gary Busey to the presidency, I would do it."

Not using military force globally for questionable interests and endeavors because they're trendy is not the same thing as isolationism.

But they'd disagree on everything else, so I don't know why Gary would like him.

I certainly couldn't answer the question truthfully and not get dinged for the response because my favorite foreign leader is a vile criminal who butchers his own people and states he's the embodiment of god. And you're supposed to take photos with those people at White House receptions, not shame people about the fact that a monster (and his even worse predecessor) is treated with great dignity in the absurdity that is statecraft.
yeah I guess, the LPC are a Big Government party

it is difficult to find a world leader who is Libertariany and or find a government that is completely Laissez-faire and not authoritarian

most governments around the world are slighlty Big Government and have their hand on everything

Anyone who wants to be commander in chief better well have some damn knowledge of the rest of the world, and Johnson is even worse than Trump in this regard. Hard to fathom.

He's a clown that belongs nowhere near the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom