• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker.com to End Operations Next Week

After nearly fourteen years of operation, Gawker.com will be shutting down next week. The decision to close Gawker comes days after Univision successfully bid $135 million for Gawker Media’s six other websites, and four months after the Silicon Valley billionaire Peter Thiel revealed his clandestine legal campaign against the company.

Staffers will soon be assigned to other editorial roles, either at one of the other six sites or elsewhere within Univision.

EDIT: Kotaku will remain safe. Sorry everyone, my misunderstanding.

SOURCE: http://gawker.com/gawker-com-to-end-operations-next-week-1785455712

Gawker.com is being shut down.

Pretty much all the other sites in the gawker network are being kept alive.

The Gawker name is legitimately toxic now at this point (And deservedly so) the other sites can go on because they essentially can be completely stripped of the gawker name and continue on buisness as usual.

Mivey

I guess the moral here is: Don't mess with Hulk Hogan unless you can easily afford to pay 140 million in damages.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the moral here is: Don't mess with Hulk Hogan unless you can easily afford to pay 140 million in damages.

Or don't mess with Silicon Valley billionaires who are willing to Fund Hogan's legal fees.
One or the other maybe, but never both.

Well of course Gawker.com is being shut down. It's the website that got the company into the whole Hogan mess in the first place with its irresponsible tabloid journalism.

Whether or not it's tabloid content is being folded into the other sites, we shall see. Probably for the better that it isn't though, before that kind of content gets the whole company fucked again.

Top Bottom