• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay men 'tortured and sodomised' by police in Uganda to 'prove they are gay'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

A gay Ugandan man has told how he was subjected to torturous anal examinations to prove his sexuality, in a country notorious for its violent homophobia.

The man, named only as Mukasa, said he was woken by a mob banging spoons on metal cooking pots, while shouting “out with the homos” and “the homos are in there”.

The 21-year-old said he and his male friend were dragged out of his Kampala home and beaten.

The vicious punishment is just the latest example of forced anal examinations, tracked by Human Rights Watch, in the east African country.

“We opened the door, and there were police and people everywhere,” Mukasa told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

“The local councilman was there, yelling ‘Out with the homos! You are scaring people in the area’.

“I still have scars from the beatings that followed. We were questioned, beaten again and forced to admit to homosexuality.

“They took us to … a clinic in Kampala where we were examined.

“It is so painful. The doctor puts a machine up your rectum. It hurts so much, and there is blood.”

Homosexuality banned in Uganda since 1952

More @ http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ortured-police-sodomised-beaten-a7395856.html

Humanity :(

Audioboxer

good god, that's atrocious. i wonder if people like that are allowed to be refugees

inb4 modbot

I considered that but it's not just a story to shock in the sense a random murder is. It's a systematic problem that involves the police/government of a country. The world needs to be made aware of these dark and barbaric acts committed by fellow "human beings". Our only hope for change is the world's eyes and criticism focusing on a country.

There is also hope from within

C1ul7dQ.jpg

But this from the article goes to show why global pressure is needed

Uganda abandoned an infamous “Kill the Gays” bill in 2014 because its first draft included the death penalty for gay sex, after worldwide outrage and threats foreign aid would be withdrawn.

Im not sure I follow the logic of jamming something up a mans arse to prove he is gay. Then again there is no logic involved in witch hunting gay people.

Jotaka

Uganda, a Christian Nation (84,5%)

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. -- Lev.20:13

It's the same country that...

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act, 2014
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Anti-Homosexuality_Act,_2014

The Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act, 2014 (previously called the "Kill the Gays bill" in the western mainstream media due to death penalty clauses proposed in the original version) was passed by the Parliament of Uganda on 20 December 2013 with life in prison substituted for the death penalty. On 1 August 2014, however, the Constitutional Court of Uganda ruled the Act invalid on procedural grounds

PillarEN

The bravery of being openly gay in places like this is astounding. I'd even be afraid to be supportive out of fear that my pro-gay view would somehow be a hazard to my own health.

Zero²

Guess these things are never too far behind us, makes us wonder how many people had to suffer so I can hold hands with my bf in public. That and we still suffer prejudice! Man things like this always make me fear that we are only a crazy bill behind coming back to times when gay was considered a disease, makes me fear for my future. Though I guess I shouldnt fear and instead fight the hate and show we are not freaks.
Empathy is a rare commodity these days...

hoos30

Attitudes brought to you by American "Evangelical" missionaries. Who says the US doesn't export things any more?

Mohonky

Africa is largely more fucked than the Middle East when it comes to any form of respect for life and equality so this is not in the slightest bit surprising, we just dont hear much about it because the violence doesnt spill over into the West.

Yeah, a lot of religious people are to blame. I also think that there are a lot of people who hate the idea of two of the same gender to be together, for other reasons. This is so disgusting though. Torturing people to prove a point? Why not just let them live their lives and help them be considered equals instead of this fucking horrible shit?

Yeah, God is going to hate the gay man who's just trying to live his life, not the one's that are going out torturing and bringing more evil into this world. Fuck those kind of religious people.

hwalker84

At least these men are alive. There was a video a few years ago where they pours gasoline on a gay man and lit him on fire. Filmed the whole thing. The crowd just let him burn. The screams were absolutely horrifying.

The things people do to each other for the dumbest reasons is just depressing. What's described in the op is just plain insanity, what the hell has to happen to someone to think of doing something like this?

It's important to remember it's still highly illegal to be gay or on the spectrum in the majority oh the world.

We aren't even close to done fighting.

RainForce

Banned
This is some medieval shit. Something needs to change, but sometimes it's hard to be hopeful when shit like this is accepted in large parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom