• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

It doesn't. It's their main hardware, their bread winner and the one successful thing Nintendo has going for it. They are just pissing in the wind and it's landing in their face with this. This won't sell a dead system and this won't sell nearly the numbers it should because it's on said dead system. If the reasons are technical or financial, get over it and make it happen.

This just makes Nintendo look supremely foolish.

No, putting their legacy lineup on the less future-proof of their platforms when their goal is to move to a single architecture within the next 4-5 years would be foolish.

Having no 3DS, I'm super excited for this. Problem is, Advance Wars was my most-played GBA game. It's an amazing game, but I played it so much I'm just not interested in that specific game again... but, I look forward to more GBA VC games.

69wpm

Oh yes, so much yes.

Let's s tart the price guessing: I predict 7,99€. Let's hope they don't charge 9,99.

JoeM86

I still don't understand why they're doing GBA VC on Wii U

Very this. No sense.

It doesn't. It's their main hardware, their bread winner and the one successful thing Nintendo has going for it. They are just pissing in the wind and it's landing in their face with this. This won't sell a dead system and this won't sell nearly the numbers it should because it's on said dead system. If the reasons are technical or financial, get over it and make it happen.

It's because the 3DS is not physically capable of properly emulating the GBA games.

The way the ambassador programme worked had the GBA games load in GBA mode in DS mode, with no 3DS features; no save states, no reset, no virtual console controls, no online access. This is not acceptable and there were even emulation issues.

The 3DS can't handle SNES games, let alone GBA ones.

Pociask

So they're continuing the drip method, and probably not allocating any more resources, so we'll see less SNES and NES releases, while N64 is still MIA? Yep yep yep, it's Nintendo.

Still, Advance Wars, so... would probably buy someday?

No, putting their legacy lineup on the less future-proof of their platforms when their goal is to move to a single architecture within the next 4-5 years would be foolish.

Any plan to keep the Wii U architecture around, which is making third party ports more difficult to receive as it is different from its competitors, is foolish. Well, and because the Wii U is a big time flop, so really any investment in keeping that flop around is just supreme penny pinching.

And I have to believe the whizzes at Nintendo could emulate a GBA game on a 3DS. Doesn't the PSP have SNES and GBA emulators?

Davey Cakes

People need to stop questioning it. Just go along with it. GBA VC is a cool feature regardless of platform.

I just hope it's not an excuse to release less games on other systems over VC. They should put more focus into the VC in general and aim to release a GBA, NES, and SNES game each week. And they should be adding other platforms as well and keeping up a consistent release schedule.

It's pivotal to have these games out while the system is in a retail software drought.

JoeM86

Looks all shitty and dim like the NES VC games on Wii U.

Many early GBA games were made unbelievably bright to compensate for the lack of lighting on the GBA screen. As such, this is adapted and altered to bring it to normal levels.

The images we've had of say Metroid Fusion and Yoshi's Island do not have this. Mario & Luigi, however, does.

Advance Wars is pretty awesome. Not buying it though because of backlog. Maybe at some point.

Hopefully the price won't be much higher than for SNES games. And hopefully we'll keep getting good games.

phanphare

Banned
Nintendo Direct incoming?

no offense but I think you're confusing Nintendo with yourself

"if the reasons are technical or financial, get over it and make it happen"

uhhh, what?

zma1013

Once again, this kind of pisses me off. Makes absolutely no sense that this isn't on the 3DS as well. None. The reason doesn't matter. No sense.

Why would they offer direct competition to their current handheld on the market? I mean, it would certainly make the Wii U a better value but end up making the 3DS less of one.

EDIT: Forgive my stupidity. I read your sentence completely wrong. Nevermind.

JoeM86

So they should get over the fact that the 3DS is physically incapable of it? Ok, how do you propose they do that?

Kriken

So there's actually a date to look forward to. I've been cynical about the GBA on VC since they announced it last year, so I'll eat my words once I see a game on my eShop page

JoeM86

Uh no it is not? My ambassador 3DS runs the GBA games they gave me just fine.

Yes it is.

As I explained in an earlier post, the way the Ambassador games worked was not a functional thing. For it to actually work within the confines of the 3DS is not possible.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
no offense but I think you're confusing Nintendo with yourself

"if the reasons are technical or financial, get over it and make it happen"

uhhh, what?

No, I'm not confusing Nintendo with myself. The look on people's face when you tell them that the 3DS can't handle the Gameboy Advance would be one of confusion and disbelief. It's laughable.

If that's the reason, so be it. Makes them look like a joke. Even more so than their sales do. =/ My 3DS kept me sane after life changing surgery and I love it to bits, but this is pathetic.

It's nice for the hundreds of Wii U owners who will buy these though.

maxcriden

I love GBA games, but will there be any point playing these except on the GamePad? From what I saw they look pretty pixelated on a TV screen.

Oersted

So they should get over the fact that the 3DS is physically incapable of it? Ok, how do you propose they do that?

How about yes? Thats the company who let a plumber float in a wooden boat on lava. Old Nintendo fucked with physics, the new one is playing it way too safe.

JoeM86

No, I'm not confusing Nintendo with myself. The look on people's face when you tell them that the 3DS can't handle the Gameboy Advance would be one of confusion and disbelief. It's laughable.

If that's the reason, so be it. Makes them look like a joke. Even more so than their sales do. =/ My 3DS kept me sane after life changing surgery and I love it to bits, but this is pathetic.

It's something that is not physically possible without severely gimping the console. The only way for GBA games to play is through some trickery of DS mode. Running them in the 3DS's actual console firmware and architecture is not possible.

What are the chances we'll see mainline pokemon games on the VC?

Spin-off? Small. Main series? None.

phanphare

Banned

yeah, except no. not at all.

Trago

How long will it be until third parties bring their old stuff to this?

I'd like to play Sonic Advance 3 and Megaman Zero again.

Vashetti

Banned
Does 50/60hz matter for handheld games? Or was that only ever for home consoles?

PAL regions may get shafted with 50hz again.

Lunar15

Pretty neat that they're starting with Advance Wars, such a good game. I doubt it means anything in terms of getting a new one, but hey, it's nice that they're acknowledging the series.

Mr-Joker

Banned
What are the chances we'll see mainline pokemon games on the VC?

0%

The spin-off games might get a virtual console release.

Already too much

No it isn't, I have paid more for the physical copies.

Does 50/60hz matter for handheld games? Or was that only ever for home consoles?

PAL regions may get shafted with 50hz again.

50/60hz doesn't exist with handheld, We should be fine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yeah, except no. not at all.

You're right. It's already too late for that.

It's something that is not physically possible without severely gimping the console. The only way for GBA games to play is through some trickery of DS mode. Running them in the 3DS's actual console firmware and architecture is not possible.

Then I will hope this system continues it's downwards slide year over year so Nintendo can maybe get some real hardware on the market.

JoeM86

nintendo has the weirdest priorities

Explain. You do realise the team that deals with the Virtual Console has nothing to do with development of other games, right?

Then I will hope this system continues it's downwards slide year over year so Nintendo can maybe get some real hardware on the market.

Like the Xbox One & PS4? Yeah, the backwards compatibility on those devices are just stellar!

Nintendo is doing it the only way possible. They can't suddenly force a 3 year old console to do something that it's physically incapable of doing.

Top Bottom