• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

Am I being naive in thinking that the art direction in Dragon's Crown is meant to be a parody?

Yes. The artstyle is 100% typical for Vanillaware, all of their recent games look like this. It's not meant to make a statement, it's just how they like their games to look (see Muramasa for another example)

Dragon

Banned
um guys, her comment doesn't represent her company at all, and she's an environmental artist, not a character artist.

Randy Pitchford is that you?

It may not represent the company's general opinion but she is a Gearbox employee being quoted. It certainly represents the company unfortunately and should be a learning lesson. You're getting into the minutia when it's really irrelevant.

orioto

Good Art™
This women debate is really becoming ridiculous.
Hey, look at movies, there are lots of them, some dumb, some interesting, some good, some bad, some with rich female characters, some with boobs and sexualized women.. Nobody is writing an article about the cinema having to evolve when it happens, cause the cinema industry is multiple and varied.

SmokyDave

Am I being naive in thinking that the art direction in Dragon's Crown is meant to be a parody? Like a caricature of other art directions and what we "perceive" as the standard for the typical classes in RPG's and what not.

I mean, that's how I see it. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't get what there is to get angry about. Surely any criticism should be pointed at the games that do this, but actually mean it.
Read this for a great breakdown of one of the trailers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Randy Pitchford is that you?

It may not represent the company's general opinion but she is a Gearbox employee being quoted. It certainly represents the company unfortunately and should be a learning lesson. You're getting into the minutia when it's really irrelevant.

You're aware that I am the one who made this thread right?

LiK

This women debate is really becoming ridiculous.
Hey, look at movies, there are lots of them, some dumb, some interesting, some good, some bad, some with rich female characters, some with boobs and sexualized women.. Nobody is writing an article about the cinema having to evolve when it happens, cause the cinema industry is multiple and varied.

My man.

levitan

I really don't know what to say about this guy and the kotaku bullshit...go bitch about something else. A game with art style this unique and interesting really doesn't deserve this kind of ignorant observation and wrong attention.

I don't see how this is any different from any of the other random people who have made the same comment. I will say that i only wish that pretty much any other developers made games with art styles as good as dragons crown. Gearbox certainly don't.

Wow, like I said, things are definitely getting out of hand and blown way out of proportion. Those imo are unprofessional comments. If you do not like the cute, exaggerated, voluptuous female, do not buy the game plain and simple. Characters like the sorceress are obviously exaggerated, but from what I've seen most female characters in video games do not have proportions as exaggerated as her. Most sorceresses are revealing anyway, aren't they? It isn't like characters that look just like that come out on weekly basis now from what I've seen. Personally, I like Dragon's Crown art-style. I think I'm buying the game now lol.

Wait, she works for the company that is responsible for Duke Nukem?????? Did she see some of the stuff in that game? I am hard to offend and I was even shocked at some of that content. Alien's Lair anyone?

Forkball

Kind of strange how this game has been announced for almost two years now and all of the sudden people have decided to jump on it.

Also I would love to see Kamitani do renditions of Borderlands characters. Or actually all characters in all games.

PaulloDEC

Man, so people have really turned on Gearbox lately, huh?

One employee makes a (silly, but possibly not without merit) comment on a forum and BAM! Half the population of Gaf-Ville is showing up to take the whole company down a peg.

Khezu

First time seeing that CODEHUNTERS movie.

Man... that's kinda blatant.

Outside of the stupid little girl, I like the CODEHUNTERS guys better.

LiK

Wow, like I said, things are definitely getting out of hand and blown way out of proportion. If you do not like the cute, exaggerated, voluptuous female, do not buy the game plain and simple. Characters like the sorceress are exaggerated, but from what I've seen most female characters in video games do not have proportions as exaggerated as her. It isn't like characters that look just like that come out on weekly basis now from what I've seen.

Wait, she works for the company that is responsible for Duke Nukem?????? Did she see some of the stuff in that game? I am hard to offend and I was even shocked at some of that content. Alien's Lair anyone?

Slapping alien boobs is way less childish and juvenile.

Haunted

Am I being naive in thinking that the art direction in Dragon's Crown is meant to be a parody? Like a caricature of other art directions and what we "perceive" as the standard for the typical classes in RPG's and what not.
I don't think it's meant as a caricature or commentary at all, no. You're not being naive, you're giving Vanillaware too much credit.

Madness

It's sad because Kotaku has created such a shitstorm that even legitimate discussion is going to create eye rolls and opposition next time.

Vs

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/george kamitani

I think she needs to open her mind a bit...who knows she might even learn something from a much better and experienced artist than her.

For what it's worth I think her female TF2 models are much better than any of the female characters in that gallery and are an example of female characters she'd like to see in games. They're of a variety of body shapes, not just perfect sex dolls and along with their faces/attire they project a lot of character.

http://shaylynhamm.com/118242/1165171/artwork/personal-3d-and-source-mods

GetemMa

This guys response is what I like to refer to is the Gawker Effect, which is that it is perfectly acceptable to write an opinion piece or to editorialize news with content that is laced with profanities just so you can make extra sure that everyone knows your serious, because to try and do that without profanities would require actual writing talent.

Kind of strange how this game has been announced for almost two years now and all of the sudden people have decided to jump on it.

Also I would love to see Kamitani do renditions of Borderlands characters. Or actually all characters in all games.

Maybe that Tropes vs Women thing ignited some fire or something. I don't know. It's getting tiresome and ridiculous.

It's sad because Kotaku has created such a shitstorm that even legitimate discussion is going to create eye rolls and opposition next time.

You can already see that going on now. Whenever the new Killer is Dead video was released I saw people at various placing saying stuff like "Someone call Kotaku". It's basically become a meme now whenever a game has a character that's wearing something revealing. The entire thing is a mess now.

Not that I don't love the constant shower of attention Dragon's Crown is getting, but who is this person and why care? Honest question, this is like someone making a thread saying "Karsticles trashes Dragon's Crown art" to me. I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the thread, I'm just trying to understand.

Village

I have no problem with people not liking a certain artstyle, I just don't like people who are hypocrites about it. Don't get on your high horse and say games like Dragon Crown are driving women out of the game industry, when the company you work for has produced just as much samey and arguably FAR MORE sexist content (every part of Duke Nukem Forever).

Gearbox did duke nukem?

Jeez sega...

Vs

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/george kamitani

I think she needs to open her mind a bit...who knows she might even learn something from a much better and experienced artist than her.

Eh... while the who is better part is subjective. ( there are alot of people who strait up dislike things that look remotely Japanese)

Open minds are fine, she doesn't have to like it though.

Spookie

For what it's worth I think her female TF2 models are much better than any of the female characters in that gallery and are an example of female characters she'd like to see in games. They're of a variety of body shapes, not just perfect sex dolls and along witjh their faces/attire they project a lot of character.

She's got a lot of really good sets in to Dota 2 as well.

Haunted

How old is this guy? Seriously, he sounded like a child.
She looks to be in her late 20s, early 30s.

For what it's worth I think her female TF2 models are much better than any of the female characters in that gallery and are an example of female characters she'd like to see in games. They're of a variety of body shapes, not just perfect sex dolls and along witjh their faces/attire they project a lot of character.

http://shaylynhamm.com/118242/116517...nd-source-mods
I admit, that's some great work.

Forkball

I don't think it's meant as a caricature or commentary at all, no. You're not being naive, you're giving Vanillaware too much credit.

It obviously takes a lot of inspiration from fantasy fiction and history in general. Read the link SmokyDave posted. It may not be a parody, but definitely a homage to the genre of fantasy.

Sorceresses being sexy is nothing new. They are often portrayed as femme fatales, so an alluring figure ties in with that concept. Seriously, google "sorceress" and they're all half-naked girls. It is a well-known trope.

orioto

Good Art™

It is actually, i think the artist clearly said it...
People should realize a lot of Japanese games are pretty sarcastic... Bayonetta people ??

There's a fucking gun in Borderlands 2 that vibrates that is given to you by Moxxi. The insinuation is the she masturbates with it. That's more offensive than a weather balloon breasted witch.

LiK

It is actually, i think the artist clearly said it...
People should realize a lot of Japanese games are pretty sarcastic... Bayonetta people ??
yup, his letter to Kotaku said he was going for the fantasy influence and he made it "cartoonish". Maybe people should reread his response.

Mr_Zombie

Some juvenile delinquent kid in my 5th grade class used to draw girls that looked like that (only without the creepy blank, featureless samefaces and wizard hats), and I think he was actually better at it.

Wow, that's some pretty talented kid.

Top Bottom