• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox is hiring for a writer to work on Borderlands 3

Redshirt

Banned
They didn't just hire a writer.

They're hiring a writer to "write, punch up and iterate scripts in-line with established story and plot outlines."

I don't think this means that BL3 isn't far along.

Borderlands "writing"

4So2rzd.jpg

People may make fun of this tweet, but Borderlands 2 has way better writing than Far Cry 3. At least it isn't pretentious non-sense with one of the worst villains in all gaming.

XandBosch

Damn, lot of people in here are acting pretty high brow about their comedy lol.

I thought Borderlands 2 was funny.

"Shrug".

Tagavaka

Neo Member
I know Erik Wolpaw recently left Valve and Portal 2 had some really great funny writing so why don't they hire him. I think it would be a great fit

Onivulk

Banned
All of the borderlands games succeeded in making my friends and I laugh out loud multiple times.

Not every joke lands but I can't think of anything else that even comes close outside of Bethesda games and their comedy engines.

Keinning

Don't.
Borderlands at its best barely had a story (the first one).

Tales from the Borderlands is amazing but a whole different beast than the shooty-shoot loot fiesta

Pre-Sequel had pretty good writing IIRC

I don't think you remember correctly
Sorry, i know its a matter of opinion. But imho Pre-Sequel writing is total ass. The new characters are annoying (janey and pickles specially, oh my god kill both), the old ones feel like copies of their past selves (and they were as deep as puddles before) and the overall story and flow of it are pretty bad

Alec

Pre-Sequel had pretty good writing IIRC. But it was done by another studio wasn't it?

I think his role for Tales and Pre-Sequel was more about making sure it's consistent with the lore/canon.

Perhaps, I'm just going by his website: https://www.anthonyburch.pizza/

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel

Lead writer on this one, too. Fewer memes, more jokes about Australia.
Tales from the Borderlands

I consulted on the overall season arc and wrote for two episodes of this critically acclaimed Telltale Episodic Series. Only, like, five people bought it, but it's really good.

Gator86

The game's not even started production yet and I can already see Claptrap dabbing

Holy shit, this is definitely going to happen. I don't mind Borderlands' style and humor, but I'm also excited for GAF to anger meltdown about it being too meme-heavy.

Any idea what the timeline for this game is? It seems like they're at the very beginning. Goddamn I wish they didn't waste so much time on dumb garbage like Battleborn.

"Demonstrable skill in writing entertaining and engaging dialogue with meaningful character interactions" must be a new requirement for the role. Good to see them branching out.

Cess007

"Shrug".

Me too, and so did my friends when we played The Handsome Collection together. I always get a laugh when people get in this act like they can only like high quality comedy

2K were the ones that lost money on Battleborn.
Holy shit, this is definitely going to happen. I don't mind Borderlands' style and humor, but I'm also excited for GAF to anger meltdown about it being too meme-heavy.

Any idea what the timeline for this game is? It seems like they're at the very beginning. Goddamn I wish they didn't waste so much time on dumb garbage like Battleborn.
I hope Battleborn's story is incorporated into B3 so I can laugh at all of you that didn't play the game.

Keinning

Me too, and so did my friends when we played The Handsome Collection together. I always get a laugh when people get in this act like they only like high quality comedy.

It has nothing to do with "liking high quality comedy" but different tastes. if you find old youtube video references and poop jokes, that's on you. no one else is being elitist for liking something else

I hope Battleborn's story is incorporated into B3 so I can laugh at all of you that didn't play the game.

wasnt there an easter egg of sorts in battleborn which tied to the future of atlas?
you might not be that far off

As reported by PCGamesN, Gearbox is looking for a writer to work on an "unannounced AAA FPS/RPG hybrid with strong characters and central narrative thread" with "a love of comedy writing".
This is basically another confirmation for Borderlands 3, after the recent Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo and Randy's hints during interviews and tweets.

Full Job Post

Months ago, Take-Two teased a "highly-anticipated new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises" coming in 2019 Fiscal year, between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019. So probably this game is indeed Borderlands 3, B2 came out in September, in Spring they will have Red Dead Redemption 2 so i'm assuming we could see B3 either late 2018 or early 2019.

Borderlands 3 is announced... This isn't for BL3...

"Shrug".

Agreed, it certainly has its misses and it lays it on too thick, but it's not as bad as people say it is. The hateboner people have for Gearbox definitely fuels it though.

LordofPwn

I hate how gearbox is trying to be so cagey about the next BL, like they announced they were starting up a huge hiring spree for the next borderlands but ever since have been like "what's borderlands 3" "we're working on stuff, and it's what you want us to be working on, but we wont say it's Borderlands" We're not dumb, just call it how it is. Hope we get an official title by E3, my guess is "Borderlands 4 All: So big we had to skip 3" now with shared world mechanics and instead of choosing from 1 of a few different characters to play as you get to make your own custom character and class.

Also what happened to the movie that they announced?

Make a sequel for the Telltale game as well while you're at it.

Yup. Honestly, Telltale did Borderlands writing that made me care about the characters and universe better than Gearbox ever did. When they announced it I actively disliked the idea, and it's probably my second favorite game they've done now.

JWiLL

Banned
Idk, I enjoyed it.

You enjoyed a villain being introduced each time by his logo splashed across the screen before he spouted random exposition to a character you don't care about while taking advice from another character you don't care about talking vaguely about "light" and how great and powerful he was while never actually seeing any proof of that?

We also knew the scene was over when his logo splashed across the screen again. So. Cool.

There was some pretty decent writing in Destiny's lore but they decided to make the worst villain of all time instead of exploring that in the sequel. Pretty disappointing.

Borderland's games are a masterpiece by comparison, even with the low brow humor. At least their villain is awesome.

gogosox82

No shitty internet meme jokes( and No Tiny Tina) and I'll be happy.

Edit: They should hire whoever the people were who wrote Tales from the Borderlands tbh. That was a well written story that was funny and engaging and didn't need meme humor to do it.

juicyb

I love Borderlands 2, writing aside, and I welcome a third. If they can just tone down some of the talky sections this will be amazing. I enjoyed some of the writing in Tiny Tina's DLC, which is a first for the series, so maybe they can learn from bits and pieces of that on how to create a more interesting narrative

Hobbes211

The only thing I can remember off the top of my head from BL2 was when Claptrap insists on coming with you and then the doors open slowly to reveal a massive stair case. That was pretty funny. The rest was le memes, but I still enjoyed the game.

Top Bottom