• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

Kikarian

I hope they bring out MP map's in DLC, that have an incentive to go to an area, the fight's alway's consist around the same area. I don't mind the map's, I would just like larger map's, with somewhere to go, rather than alway's the middle.

DodgeAnon said:
I hope they bring out MP map's in DLC, that have an incentive to go to an area, the fight's alway's consist around the same area. I don't mind the map's, I would just like larger map's, with somewhere to go, rather than alway's the middle.
I agree, the maps do tend to do this.

jus't curiou's i's there a rea'son you use so many apostrophes?

Rimfya

Banned
mrfolego said:
So the sires were old miners exposed to too much imlusion and were just mutating into locusts? What blue balls :/
+1

They looked nothing like Locusts or Humans. Hell, Locusts look more Human than Sires do. Perhaps the mutating process is odd.

Also, what the frig's with Serapedes. They seem like something someone at Epic had a good idea for an enemy type, they forgot to add it to Bulletstorm so they shoved it in here. Don't get me wrong, they're a fun enemy to kill, just seemed so out of place. Especially with green-imulsion blood.

Grisby

Rimfya said:
Also, what the frig's with Serapedes. They seem like something someone at Epic had a good idea for an enemy type, they forgot to add it to Bulletstorm so they shoved it in here. Don't get me wrong, they're a fun enemy to kill, just seemed so out of place. Especially with green-imulsion blood.

I dunno. Maybe a resident of Sera that the locust trained? Their armor could have something in common with the Armored Kantus's as well.

They creep the F out and I'm not usually put off by that kind of stuff. If I see them comin' at me I roll around like a little girl.

Grisby said:
I dunno. Maybe a resident of Sera that the locust trained? Their armor could have something in common with the Armored Kantus's as well.

They creep the F out and I'm not usually put off by that kind of stuff. If I see them comin' at me I roll around like a little girl.
Real talk. Centipedes are no joke. Least favorite enemy in EDF2 on PS2 also, haha. *shudder*

Volimar

Rimfya said:
I wonder if any of the DLC will take place AFTER the events of Gears 3 ... Though I'm not sure what the combat sequences would involve.

Maybe there would be pockets here and there that weren't reached by the wave. God knows the other "This will beat the Locusts" plans in the previous games were sorely ineffective.

clav

Rimfya said:
Enzo - You summed up my thoughts exactly. I love the Gears franchise, even if the games have never been perfectly excited there is a lot of potential there. Such a shame they relegate the difficult narrative questions to lore/wiki/comics/books since 90% of people just play the game.

I wonder if any of the DLC will take place AFTER the events of Gears 3 ... Though I'm not sure what the combat sequences would involve.
GAF thinks the campaign DLC will be Baird and Cole missions since the main campaign focused on Marcus and friends.

A question formed in my head while playing the campaign.

As we saw from campaign, the lambent humans turned into zombies and killed other humans.

Why aren't the lambent locusts killing the non-infected locusts? I was expecting a Halo-like scenario with a 3-way of the COGS/humans and Locusts fighting off the lambent creatures.

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
Marcus is a fuckin beast. Dad died right in front of him. and did not shed a tear.been through so much shit already he really doesnt give a hell about tears.
Well, I assume he'd already done his grieving since he thought Adam was dead for years.

skyfinch

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
Marcus is a fuckin beast. Dad died right in front of him. and did not shed a tear.been through so much shit already he really doesnt give a hell about tears.

I bet some of his father's ashes got into his eyes too. Still no tears.

claviertekky said:
Why aren't the lambent locusts killing the non-infected locusts? I was expecting a Halo-like scenario with a 3-way of the COGS/humans and Locusts fighting off the lambent creatures.

Um, they are? Lambency is what drove the Locust out of the ground in the first place.

I would imagine 360 memory limitations made it not possible to actually show a 3-way battle in the game.

KorrZ

_dementia said:
They do fight each other during mixed firefights. Same in Horde mode.

^ This. It's hilarious on a boss wave when you get a Lambent Berserker because it just completely fucks up all of the Grinders, Maulers etc that come at it.

dmg04 said:
Suggestion; Play campaign in Arcade mode every time. You get XP as well as level up your medal.
Arcade mode is great. I don't like how they reset your weapons after every checkpoint, but it makes sense for scoring purposes I suppose.

jackdoe

Seth Balmore said:
All of this is explained in the last novel, Coalition's End. I'll sum it up for you:

1. We don't really know why Prescott leaves the island where the Gears were staying. He simply tells Hoffman there's "something he must do and time's running out so he has to do it now" and asks for his support. When Hoffman refuses, he just leaves with 2 bodyguards. The COG try to tail him to see where he's going but they lose him in the high seas.

2. Everyone hates him because he ditched the community without saying why and because he was still keeping secrets from everyone, despite civilization going down the toilet.

3. The community decide that splitting up is the best option to survive (moving a large community around is harder in case they need to evacuate again). Marcus & co. stay on the ship, Hoffman tries his luck taking the other half of the civvies to Anvil Gate since he knows how to hold the place from previous experiences.

4. She wanted some frontline action so she trained to get in shape after they sank Jacinto.
That's a problem. Not everyone is going to read the novel so they should have done a better job on the "Previously on Gears". Actually, they should have renamed that as "Previously in the $12 book that you may have neglected to buy" and stuck it before the actual campaign. I honestly would have probably appreciated parts of the story more had I known plot point 1 before the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mrfolego said:
So the sires were old miners exposed to too much imlusion and were just mutating into locusts? What blue balls :/
What a fucking cop out. To think that insinuated plot significance :/

Also another example of the bullshit that is leaving explanations for supplementary media. Stop doing this shit devs. :/

overall liked it a lot, controls felt like gears has always felt but more solid. The change in color palette was welcomed, and the story deliver was a lot better then Gears 1 or 2

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just finished it. As far as gameplay goes, I really have no complaints. It totally destroyed Gears 2 and was better than the first as well. Really one of my favorite single player experiences of this generation.

Story telling? Yeah, pretty poor as mentioned. A lot of questions and no answers.

_dementia said:
Arcade mode is great. I don't like how they reset your weapons after every checkpoint, but it makes sense for scoring purposes I suppose.

Also the game isn't over when somebody is killed. They just have to sit out for 30 seconds.

Mutators are nice too. Bonus experience and an added challenge(though I am never playing Insane, fuck that).

Oh this is the story thread!
Um..

Seriously this was a very predictable entry. Carmine surviving, Dom & Adam dying, etc.
Gotta say that I was pleased how it turned out. Had to fight back the tears during Dom's final moments.

Just finished this and loved it.

I'll admit it - the Dom part got to me. The music kicking in and the montage that followed was pitch perfect, and about as touching as a game like Gears of War could possibly get.

It was also a good moment to see Marcus toss his armor aside in the end.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Soooo, Imulsion exposure for some humans made them into Locust and all locust variants, Imulsion exposure for others made them into Sires, and Imulsion exposure for a third group made them Lambent humans? What. The. Funk. is that about?

Also, it was a real shame none of the other support cast died. By the end you had a really hefty crew, and a fair few could have copped it no trouble. Just felt a bit harsh when marcus stabs the Queen who at that point is basically unarmed and he has like 6 dudes at his back.

I would have preferred to see the final mission go through some stages and have more of the Gears sacrifice themselves for the final mission. Like see Baird and Sam both get shot up, crawl over to a big bomb to blow up a giant Lambent stalk that is threating Adam's machine, they look into each others eyes and he says "You know I always hated you, right?" "Shut up idiot." They kiss and detonate the bomb. Everyone cries.

Also, the Hammer of dawn should have been knocked out by Adams device so the beams werent working, and the satellite could only lock onto the gun itself, then the only way to take out the queens bug was Cole Train making a final charge to score a touchdown on that big mutha and sacrifice himself in an orbital laser blast.

Eh that's just ridiculous.
What worked about Dom's death is you didn't expect it, but you sort-of did.
It's like Maximus in The Gladiator, he lost his entire family. At that point it's not really about starting over again. You do what you need to do to help those around you, then you go on to join those you lost.

Having pretty much the entire cast sacrifice themselves every 5 minutes would destroy the pacing and completely ruin the emotional impact. It would actually distract from the action because you're making bets with your co-op buddies on who is going to bite it next.

Epic made the right call in terms of deaths.

Moaradin said:
GEARS OF WAR 1 PC is the better game out all of these 3. GEARS OF WAR 3 is a piece of shit game that deserves to be buried along swtor. GEARS 1 PC MASTER RACE EDITION FTW!

.............................the fuck?

Moaradin

EDIT:

IGNORE. ACCOUNT WAS HACKED BY A DISTRUSTFUL FRIEND

Moaradin said:
What the hell. I didn't actually post that. A douchebag "friend" of mine decided to log into my account and do that shit. Hes an idiot to put it lightly. Has no respect for people's privacy apparently.

The person who logged into my account has an account on GAF named Cmoyano and recently got banned by doing similar trolling in the SWTOR thread.

Moaradin said:
GEARS OF WAR 1 PC is the better game out all of these 3. GEARS OF WAR 3 is a piece of shit game that deserves to be buried along swtor. GEARS 1 PC MASTER RACE EDITION FTW!
Yes! And pigs can fly!

jackdoe said:
That's a problem. Not everyone is going to read the novel so they should have done a better job on the "Previously on Gears". Actually, they should have renamed that as "Previously in the $12 book that you may have neglected to buy" and stuck it before the actual campaign. I honestly would have probably appreciated parts of the story more had I known plot point 1 before the game.
I agree it's pretty shitty for people who haven't been following the extended universe.

Personally I was delighted with the campaign since I had knowledge of all the shit that went down between Gears 2 and 3, but yeah, I can understand people having tons of questions aside the ones the game itself left unanswered, and also not connecting with the characters that much.

It's a shame, I imagine reading the books after having played Gears 3 and knowing how the story ends isn't the same. It's cool to see the little clues scattered on the novels, but it's only half the fun knowing what's going to happen in the end.

As for people asking what's gonna happen after Gears 3... yes, there is another book in the works and to be released May 2010, I think. It's called The Slab, so I imagine we'll get to read about Marcus' time in prison as well.

Arjen

Finished it yesterday, i think it was my favorite campaign of the bunch. Act V was amazing and so was the fight at anvil gate.
I guess i'm alone in this, but i didn't see Dom's death coming, was a big wtf?? moment for me.

Moaradin

vodka-bull said:
Yes! And pigs can fly!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
.............................the fuck?

What the hell. I didn't actually post that. A douchebag "friend" of mine decided to log into my account and do that shit. Hes an idiot to put it lightly. Has no respect for people's privacy apparently.

The person who logged into my account has an account on GAF named Cmoyano and recently got banned by doing similar trolling in the SWTOR thread.

Rimfya said:
Hmm, rewatched the scene that confused me, seems I interpreted this wrong at the time...

PyzsF.png
So in this thread I learned that I misunderstood this scene and Queen Myrrah is indeed not related to Marcus, but now I want to know:

89003_T_CharPortraits_LOC_High_my_normal.png

She is all for the Locust, but is she all woman inside that suit and could you tap that?

Truant

ResidentDante said:
So in this thread I learned that I misunderstood this scene and Queen Myrrah is indeed not related to Marcus, but now I want to know:

89003_T_CharPortraits_LOC_High_my_normal.png

She is all for the Locust, but is she all woman inside that suit and could you tap that?

This post is now an internet joke.

ivuJO.jpg

I don't have a lot to add to what's already been said. I give the single-player aspect of the game a 9/10. I thought parts of it dragged a little, like I felt like the entire game I'm looking for fuel for one reason or another. Sometimes I said to myself, "Wait, why am I here again?" Even if there were reasons for searching for fuel, the very act of looking for fuel is just a bit boring.

The only other negative? Jace. His voice actor didn't stack up to the rest, some of his lines were dumb, and he just had no reason to be there.

Those are my two complaints. Everything else was awesome. I don't finish many games these days so the fact that I finished this one in 5 days says a lot for me.

One really cool part I don't see much mention of - fighting the lambent berserker. I did it at night, in the dark, with the volume way up. Sounded awesome, felt very punishing. The sound in this game is very hard hitting and excellent.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fleet_of_Foot said:
I don't have a lot to add to what's already been said. I give the single-player aspect of the game a 9/10. I thought parts of it dragged a little, like I felt like the entire game I'm looking for fuel for one reason or another. Sometimes I said to myself, "Wait, why am I here again?" Even if there were reasons for searching for fuel, the very act of looking for fuel is just a bit boring.

The only other negative? Jace. His voice actor didn't stack up to the rest, some of his lines were dumb, and he just had no reason to be there.

Those are my two complaints. Everything else was awesome. I don't finish many games these days so the fact that I finished this one in 5 days says a lot for me.

One really cool part I don't see much mention of - fighting the lambent berserker. I did it at night, in the dark, with the volume way up. Sounded awesome, felt very punishing. The sound in this game is very hard hitting and excellent.
Seems like all cover based shooters suffer from the "wait, why am I here again?" disease and the drawn out sequence of gameplay. Gears and Uncharted both suffer from this. Then again, both of them still rank high on the list of excellent campaigns this gen.

I feel both are just nitpicks away from being classics, aside from the queen thing.

LiK

J Tourettes said:
Marcus knifing the queen in coldblood like that left me thinking he should be charged with some kind of war crime.
Queen would've been found guilty for killing all those civilians we saw in the previous two games anyway. Justice is served.

Bizazedo

Anabuhabkuss said:
I've replayed Gears 1 and 2 over and over and the fact that I didn't care that he was about to die shows how one dimensional the character is, overall. What's with "the boys (his kids)" dying? Was this covered in one of the books?

The deaths in Reach startled me more and were a bit more grounded. Take Kat's death for example. Would have liked to have seen something much more unexpected for Dom.

I forget if they mention the kids in 1 or 2, but they do elaborate on it in the books. Dom's kids were killed in E-day or soon after. Maria couldn't handle it and eventually ran away / disappeared. That's why he was looking for her in 1 and 2.

And yes, the deaths in Reach were far more hard hitting. Unlike Gears, it worked even better if you were unfamiliar with the books or didn't pay attention in the prior games and didn't know that Reach fell. Especially when Jorge sacrifices himself....for nothing :(.

Anyways..

I didn't get the vibe that the Locusts were humans. There are farrrrrrrrrr too many. There's no way they were human.

Myrrah might be Ruth from the experimental lab, but who knows. That part needs elaborated on.

What's funny is at the end, I kind of felt we were on the bad guy side at the end. The Locust lived below ground, chilling, living their life..

"We" / humans of Sera fuck with the Imulsion, they mutate, give our best scientist time to help, invade us to save their own species, and we repeatedly fuck them.

History written by the winners and all :).

Grisby

Ha ha, I love this past page from Moaradin's Hyde complex to Residentdante's weird sexual perversions.

I was thinking the other night how much I would have liked if Dom's suicide stuff would have been playable in some fashion. Like, you take control of Dom and have to get to the truck (which in this instance would have been further away). Could have had a inner monologue scene like Marcus had at the beginning, which was a horribly unused effect.

Also, it would have been neat to have more spotlight focus on the different characters like Cole got with his football stuff.

Darklord

Banned
So no explanation of how the queen was human? That seemed odd.

J Tourettes said:
Marcus knifing the queen in coldblood like that left me thinking he should be charged with some kind of war crime.

That would be like stabbing Hitler. You'd be called a hero.

LiK

J Tourettes said:
And? I thought the story was being discussed in here. Just for me personally, I felt a bit uncomfortable.
Don't be, like some else said, she was Hitler and stabbing her was the kindest think Marcus did. She died almost instantly from being stabbed in the heart. He couldve beaten the shit outta her first.

Bizazedo

Neverfade said:
Where did this Ruth person come into play? I've played all three in the last month and don't remember a Ruth.
Details about her are on one of the collectables in the mission to the secret research lab in Gears 2. Said she reacted differently to the testing than the others did.

The thing is, though..

On one of these threads, someone posted that a guy from Epic on the epic forums said they were testing miners who were exposed to Imulsion for a long time at the lab. And that's what the Sires were (which doesn't quite make sense due to human lambents). Ruth was just different.

So, maybe Ruth's the Queen.

If that's the case, it still means that Locust are their own race, but it doesn't quite make sense of the origin of the Sires since they didn't turn into human lambents.

In other words, there's some holss / stuff we don't know / Epic doesn't give a shit.

Top Bottom