• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 - hopes, fears and expectations

LordOfChaos

Undo the frickin Sires explanation for Locusts. Experiments = massive underground society after just 100 years, with their own technological evolution paths? Err, no, dumb.

Undo the frickin Sires explanation for Locusts. Experiments = massive underground society after just 100 years, with their own technological evolution paths? Err, no, dumb.
This. And for the love of god do not hire Karen Traviss as the writer for anything again, including books, comics, animations, anything.

I don't think, other than a passing reference to Delta Squad and maybe a cameo from Marcus, it'll be related to the previous story at all. Could be wrong though.

I don't expect the Locust to be in the game but again, maybe I am wrong.

bchamba

I can't see them getting rid of locusts. I understand a need to distance the game from Epic's games but locust are as much a part of Gears as the gnasher is.

UE's framerate feels so good I wish all the Gears had it.

I can't see them getting rid of locusts. I understand a need to distance the game from Epic's games but locust are as much a part of Gears as the gnasher is.

If they get rid of Locusts it will just be judgment all over again. That shit was dumb.

Having the Locust back would be fine for multiplayer if they don't plan on creating a new race of humanoid monsters but retconning the ending of Gears 3 would be pretty shitty. I would rather they move forward with something new.

Getting rid of the Locust is something they should definitely not do, or at least not in multiplayer. Don't be dumb like 343 and remove shit from multiplayer just to fit canon.

RedSwirl

Just don't fuck up Horde man. I don't even care if it's just Horde 2.0 with modern graphics. To be honest I'd just take horde 2.0 packaged by itself, even as a free-to-play game. I don't care.

LordOfChaos

I don't think, other than a passing reference to Delta Squad and maybe a cameo from Marcus, it'll be related to the previous story at all. Could be wrong though.

I don't expect the Locust to be in the game but again, maybe I am wrong.

Well, it's in the same world, and new creatures somehow evolved seemingly soon after the war and the "end" of the Locusts, maybe the hominid ones from the original games are gone but some new manner of creature evolved quickly that's related to them and will need an origin too.

But shit, just kill the Sires explanation, kill it with fire.

Get rid of anything that takes control away from the player, whether it be grenade stuns, ink stuns, melee stuns, or anything else. Anything that renders the player with no control and puts them through a preset animation is nothing short of an abomination and needs to be dropped.

So...when someone is melee attacked, they should have no reaction at all, the hit should count, but the attacks will just pass through the player as though through thin air? How about when Chainsawed? the chainsaw just slips through the body, which explodes after the slice, but the attacked player can still move full tilt? This pre-canned animation is a simple version of pretty much every fighting system in a game.

I understand where you are coming from, it can be frustrating to be stuck in an animation, but there has to be a reaction or consequence for these attacks. Having stuns is an easy way to balance these attacks in a game with an incredibly simple melee system. Perhaps they could have dynamic reactions what still let the attacked player control the direction of the attack reaction, that is affected by the physical force and direction of the hit or grenade? I could see that being an interesting solution, that would still give the attacked player a skill-based chance to escape the next attack.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
- No stupid achievements like Seriously 4.0. Developers need to stop FORCING us to play their game. If your game is good, we will play it, no need to to have shit achievements.

- More like the original. Slower paced, more horror than action

- Rebuild the shotgun for multiplayer. It's been broken since 1 and is still not fixed. It's a stupid weapon that's stopping the multiplayer from really being enjoyable

Miggytronz

Yay my new copy of Ultimate Edition came in!! Too bad I won't get to play it tonight. Friday night kickball to play!

As someone who didn't play the Gears games until recently (didn't own an X360 last gen) in terms of gameplay and variety I liked Gears 3 the most. Note that I'm speaking strictly of the single player portions of the games only.

Judgement was fun, and the change in controls and arcadey feel were jarring at first I did get use to it.

I want Gears 4 to be a continuation and refinement of Gears 3 at its core. On a side note, has it been confirmed that 4 player co-op is out? I remember Rod Ferguson saying in a video it would be back to OG Gears (2 player co-op)

As someone who didn't play the Gears games until recently (didn't own an X360 last gen) in terms of gameplay and variety I liked Gears 3 the most. Note that I'm speaking strictly of the single player portions of the games only.

Judgement was fun, and the change in controls and arcadey feel were jarring at first I did get use to it.

I want Gears 4 to be a continuation and refinement of Gears 3 at its core. On a side note, has it been confirmed that 4 player co-op is out? I remember Rod Ferguson saying in a video it would be back to OG Gears (2 player co-op)

Rod did indeed say they are returning to 2-player coop - but that's all we know.

I think a clear sign that it's going to be dark, intimate and missing the absolute enormity of Gears of War 3 which is a good move if you ask me.

Not that I didn't love it, but Gears of War 2 is the yardstick in my mind.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Hopes :
They don't fuck it up

Fears :
They fuck it up

Expectations :
Okay game that isn't gears ala 343 style ( they fucked it up )

Ideally it would have been a reboot, or story distant enough in time that it might as well be a reboot

Rod did indeed say they are returning to 2-player coop - but that's all we know.

I think a clear sign that it's going to be dark, intimate and missing the absolute enormity of Gears of War 3 which is a good move if you ask me.

Not that I didn't love it, but Gears of War 2 is the yardstick in my mind.

When did he say that? Not sure I'm on-board with that, I liked the 4 player stuff

Ideally it would have been a reboot, or story distant enough in time that it might as well be a reboot

What makes you think it isn't?

Edit: Now you've got me questioning myself Steve, could have sworn I heard him say it in an E3 interview but now I'm afraid. lol

reKon

Banned
is there any reason to be excited about the development team behind this? or do we not know much still?

Aside from watching all of the Gears carnage, there will also be a special panel during the broadcast stream with the Studio Head of Gears of War developer The Coalition, Rod Fergusson, and Lead Multiplayer Designer, Ryan Cleven. Whether you are a longtime Gears fan or new to the franchise, this is an event you are not going to want to miss.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/08/tun...finals/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hmm, are we really seeing Gears 4 so soon? That would be awesome, not expecting it though

Moofers

I popped in this thread back on page 2 and then forgot about it. I wanted to weigh in here because I saw some opinions expressed regarding REQ packs and Burn Cards being good ideas for Horde mode.

I am passionate about games, but Horde mode in Gears is probably the thing I am most passionate about. It is my jam. Its the game I still play solo long after a reliable community dried up. I was on a team that seriously pursued the leaderboards at one point and cracked the top 25 on a few maps.

Please keep that burn card shit out of my game. Part of what makes Gears 3 horde playable solo is the fact that you aren't missing a player in some crucial class like medic or assault or whatever. Everyone starts with the same loadout and everyone can do all the same things. The weaponry is what made for interesting teams with different strategies. That's the lesson that Judgment forgot when they put out Survival mode. You could never play that solo because you're always unable to do some critical action like heal or repair fortifications. That's also why people get turned off to playing when the medic has to quit the game or you start without them or something. In Gears 3, your team can play with as many or as few members as you have, without penalty.

Burn cards/REQ packs are just another version of what Judgment got wrong. Warzone in Halo 5 is hamstrung because you can't just jump into a warthog with your buddies like you want to, somebody needs to have the dumb card to use. I'm 35 years old and will be having kids before long. I don't want to set aside time to play Gears 4 Horde and be all excited, only to be let down because I couldn't find a game where somebody had the card for the electric fence or the sniper rifle or whatever else makes Horde fun. I don't want to have to buy a card pack for the chance to randomly win the ability to use my favorite weapon once. If I'm a Torque bow guy, I want to see it rotating on the map between rounds like it does in Gears 3. I don't want to have to play for countless matches or fork over money to get the chance to use it. That's not fun, that's just compensating for poor design by forcing your players to grind away or pay up.

I want another Gears 3 and by that, I mean I want a game I can still play by myself when my teammates have moved on and the matchmaking has become unreliable. You can't give me that when the game has burn cards and/or REQ packs. Cliffy once said Horde is just Robotron. I have always appreciated that comparison. People chase the high score in Robotron. Imagine how screwed that way of playing would be if you introduced some temporary powerup to the game.

People drop $50 on season passes now without even knowing what is in them. I'd do that TWICE OVER rather than having that shitty burn card stuff in Horde. Keep the gameplay free and true. That's the one sacred thing. Don't fuck with the gameplay. If you're looking for ways to make more money, skins and appearance related stuff is fine. People used to bitch about it but we are past that point now. Let Dead or Alive 5: Last Round show you the way. I'm serious about that too. They gave everyone a free arena this past summer (Fireworks) and they don't fuck with the gameplay. They make a ton of money on costumes and extra stuff and I see no reason Gears can't follow that model to an extent. Insert joke here about Marcus Fenix in a Santa Suit/Bikini/etc. but I bought some of that stuff for Gears 3.

If the corporate masters at Microsoft are just pounding their fists on the table and screaming "MORE MONEY!!!!" I'd rather we just pay for maps in addition to the costumes then. Free maps will always be better for everyone involved, believe me, but if the beast needs to be fed and there's no other way, just remember the gameplay is sacred and charging for maps at least observes that rule.

That's all I wanted to say. Its probably too late by this point, but I had to say it. I went on the official forums when they first came back and filled out several posts detailing what I was looking for, but I never thought at the time about burn cards. I'd have said all this back then if I had thought it might be a threat.

Warxard

Banned
Being a pretty vocal fan of the Gears series with my coworkers/personal friends, I've always had some ideas as to where the balancing should go for the next game that incorporates all of the good of each entry in the series, whilst correcting the 'bad aspects.' This is actually pretty short in what I want out of the MP, but the main bulletpoints regarding each weapon, map design, player modes, etc. should adress what I want.

Multiplayer General

Player Count: Traditionally, I would prefer it if the competitive playlists stick solely to 4v4 to keep the focus on squad-based tactics strong. Not that there's anything wrong with 5v5 Execution/Warzone, but it's mostly a personal preference at this point. It'd be interesting to see TDM with 6v6, but maybe that'd be too much of a stretch for Gears.

Multiplayer Modes: Replace King of the Hill with Blitz. Blitz is a much more balanced alternative to the KOTH formula, and makes the player plan on who will be responsible for capping the point (essentially sacrificing themselves for the points) while the others plot around that point. DO NOT give Team Deathmatch a Ranked option. Otherwise, keep all of the gametypes in Gears of War 3 and give them an option for ranked plays.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind to see Gears with more objective based gametypes. Capture the Flag should make a return from 2 and make it 'Neutral Flag'/attack-defend while Capture the Leader should be the same. Guardian should be the main 'VIP'-esque gametype.

Modes from Judgment -- FFA, Gun Game, Domination -- should be restricted to a single social playlist and custom gametypes only.

Horde 3.0 should look into what Sunset Overdrive did with Chaos Squad; do objectives/small co-op missions to build resources to hold out for the 50 waves. I like the money system, and it would be cool if the money resources were tied to actual player stats as well.

Beast mode...ditch it

Keep Overrun. Class Based Rush is perfect for Gears, even if you have to make dedicated maps for that game mode.

Weapons

PRIMARY LOADOUT:
-Rifles: Lancer / Hammerburst / Classic Hammerburst
-Shotguns: Gnasher
-Pistols: Snub
-Explosives: Smoke

Pretty self-explanatory. Lancer for Full Auto, Hammerburst for Semi-Auto, CHB for Burst Fire. Gnasher...because it's the Gnasher. Snub, Smoke are fine to keep in the primary loadouts.

Lancer: I think this would be a great spot to begin discussing my stance on stopping power and, in my opinion, why it's important in Gears' metagame. Stopping Power in Gears of War should be considered for the Lancer because the SP can be used as a counter to direct charging Gnashers who should be punished in the first place. In the time it takes for you to react to the opponent with a Gnasher, would you rather waste time switching to a Gnasher to meet his, or use your Lancer to set some space between you and the opponent? Keep in mind that by the time you get your Gnasher out you've given the rusher a window of opportunity to get a very meaty shot in, and by the time you make your first hit his second shot comes out and effectively takes you down. What's the point of meeting with the Gnasher, then?

Sure, SP in Gears 3 was horrid and accounted for a lot of fucking stupid kills but it can be toned down: Keep it restricted to the lancer-- a medium range rifle -- and let it fulfill it's purpose as a support rifle to your person that's rushing the pickup, to protect an ally being charged by an enemy. Keep the damage output considerably reasonable, as the gun's relying on SP in the first place. Lancers can still be countered by a good Gnasher shuffling across the map to avoid fire, Pickup users, etc.

Hammerburst: First off, remove the fucking ADS. It's dumb.

With that out of the way the Hammerburst is fine as a minor option for long range gameplay, acting as a counter to Longshot users and Heavy Weapon setups like the Oneshot or Mortars. Damage Output should be scaled so that it's slightly stronger than the Lancer, at the same time reduce the rate of fire for the Semi Auto gun because with a good trigger finger (or a modded controller lol) Hammerburst RoF in 3 was fucking ridiculous.

Classic Hammerburst: Tri-Burst medium range rifle. Simply a choice for people who aren't fond of the HB's Semi-Auto output. The controlled fire should be able to make it viable for hip-fire accuracy. Just reduce the bullet output to whatver it was in Judgment.

Gnasher: I think that the Gnasher as it is in 3 is fine. My only recommendation for it would have to be how the hitboxes work with corner aiming. Simply fine tune it and you'll be alright.

Snub: I LOVE the Gears 3 Snub, and it's utility uses can really shine if they improve off of it. Keep everything about it except the damage output, as it should be reduced. Snub's too good in 3 that it essentially performs as well as the Hammerburst.

Smokes/Grenades in general: Remove the Tac-Com peeping that was in Gears 3 that was with Smokes. The stun is fine. Make them the ONLY Grenades that can be attached to walls. No Grenade suicides when downed, as that defeats the purpose of claiming kills in execution when you can just take them with you??? That's dumb. Keep Bolos, Keep Incins (the floor covering/direct hit kill thing is good. It roots out people holdig out behind cover. Make sure that when it hits cover, it covers the whole thing.), keep Inks. Judgment Grenades suck, ruined the balancing.

PICKUPS

Retro Lancer: Pickup. High Damage, ridiculous spread. Keep it Pickup only. It worked fine in Judgment.

Markza: I would like to see the Markza return, but I just don't see an applicable use for the Markza that can't be done with the ones you start off with or the Longshot. Just seems...risky? Useless? I wouldn't be too pissed if it left.

Breechshot: KEEP. Pickup. Excellent weapon with some ridiculous damage despite the range being a bit off. For Execution, it'd be neat to let this and the Longshot be the only weapons that can distance kill when your opponent is downed.

Longshot: Pickup. I think the Ultimate Edition Longshot is the best incarnation, but I wouldn't mind to see some of the QOL changes seen in 3/Judgment make a return.

Torque Bow: Pickup. Improve it from 3. Make tap-shots stick, regardless of where it goes. Just reduce the damage.

Sawed Off: Pickup. Judgment's incarnation is a good starting point to balance that weapon. Make it a monster at face to face range, and shit everywhere else.

Boltok: Pickup. Improve it from 3.

Gorgon: Make it Full Auto like in Gears 2. Pickup. Originally I played with the idea of the Gorgon being part of the starting weapons.

Boomshot: Pickup. Improve it from 3.

Digger: Pickup. Adjust how sky-aiming works specifically. There were some issues with some of the elevated maps (Escalation, Sandbar) that made sky aiming kind of fucked.

Flamer: Ditch it. Never saw a use of it in 2/3/Judgment.

Heavy Weapons (Mortar / Mulcher / Boomshield / OneShot / Cleaver): Ditch them from Competitive/Social play. Keep them in customs/overrun.

Maps

Look I don't care what the fuck you do with the maps, but if you're going to do asymmetrical maps don't make them as huge as Judgment's were.

Otherwise, just give me Fuel Depot and Mercy and I'm good.

Player Traits:

Other than the usual 'give the male/female' body types the same damn hitboxes, uh....I don't think they should make wall-bouncing, wall canceling any more easier to do.

Some other ideas came to mind like Stamina for running, but I don't think anyone would like that.

Spotting should stay in. Gears doesn't have a minimap, and some people don't play with mics. Communication is key and the simple acknowledgment of where an opponent is should be more than enough.

--

I think that's it? Yeah, that's it.

I popped in this thread back on page 2 and then forgot about it. I wanted to weigh in here because I saw some opinions expressed regarding REQ packs and Burn Cards being good ideas for Horde mode.

I am passionate about games, but Horde mode in Gears is probably the thing I am most passionate about. It is my jam. Its the game I still play solo long after a reliable community dried up. I was on a team that seriously pursued the leaderboards at one point and cracked the top 25 on a few maps.

Please keep that burn card shit out of my game. Part of what makes Gears 3 horde playable solo is the fact that you aren't missing a player in some crucial class like medic or assault or whatever. Everyone starts with the same loadout and everyone can do all the same things. The weaponry is what made for interesting teams with different strategies. That's the lesson that Judgment forgot when they put out Survival mode. You could never play that solo because you're always unable to do some critical action like heal or repair fortifications. That's also why people get turned off to playing when the medic has to quit the game or you start without them or something. In Gears 3, your team can play with as many or as few members as you have, without penalty.

Burn cards/REQ packs are just another version of what Judgment got wrong. Warzone in Halo 5 is hamstrung because you can't just jump into a warthog with your buddies like you want to, somebody needs to have the dumb card to use. I'm 35 years old and will be having kids before long. I don't want to set aside time to play Gears 4 Horde and be all excited, only to be let down because I couldn't find a game where somebody had the card for the electric fence or the sniper rifle or whatever else makes Horde fun. I don't want to have to buy a card pack for the chance to randomly win the ability to use my favorite weapon once. If I'm a Torque bow guy, I want to see it rotating on the map between rounds like it does in Gears 3. I don't want to have to play for countless matches or fork over money to get the chance to use it. That's not fun, that's just compensating for poor design by forcing your players to grind away or pay up.

I want another Gears 3 and by that, I mean I want a game I can still play by myself when my teammates have moved on and the matchmaking has become unreliable. You can't give me that when the game has burn cards and/or REQ packs. Cliffy once said Horde is just Robotron. I have always appreciated that comparison. People chase the high score in Robotron. Imagine how screwed that way of playing would be if you introduced some temporary powerup to the game.

People drop $50 on season passes now without even knowing what is in them. I'd do that TWICE OVER rather than having that shitty burn card stuff in Horde. Keep the gameplay free and true. That's the one sacred thing. Don't fuck with the gameplay. If you're looking for ways to make more money, skins and appearance related stuff is fine. People used to bitch about it but we are past that point now. Let Dead or Alive 5: Last Round show you the way. I'm serious about that too. They gave everyone a free arena this past summer (Fireworks) and they don't fuck with the gameplay. They make a ton of money on costumes and extra stuff and I see no reason Gears can't follow that model to an extent. Insert joke here about Marcus Fenix in a Santa Suit/Bikini/etc. but I bought some of that stuff for Gears 3.

If the corporate masters at Microsoft are just pounding their fists on the table and screaming "MORE MONEY!!!!" I'd rather we just pay for maps in addition to the costumes then. Free maps will always be better for everyone involved, believe me, but if the beast needs to be fed and there's no other way, just remember the gameplay is sacred and charging for maps at least observes that rule.

That's all I wanted to say. Its probably too late by this point, but I had to say it. I went on the official forums when they first came back and filled out several posts detailing what I was looking for, but I never thought at the time about burn cards. I'd have said all this back then if I had thought it might be a threat.

You know...if they put Burn Cards in Overrun I wouldn't be mad.

But yeah Cosmetics only. Please. Fuck.

From the official forums. Credit to Chivas over there.

XZUSkTK.png

I hope its as good as the first but fear that without the original team it will be more like Judgement. I expect it to be the worst selling game in the series. MS big IP are on a downward trajectory sales/quality wise, i.e. Halo.

m23

I hope its as good as the first but fear that without the original team it will be more like Judgement. I expect it to be the worst selling game in the series. MS big IP are on a downward trajectory sales/quality wise, i.e. Halo.

Well, they have Rod Ferguson helming the studio and game so I have more faith in it than Judgement. Gears UE was fantastic as well, so I'm optimistic.

Warxard

Banned

They explicitly mentioned Judgment in an interview during the Gears ESL Finals interview. They said it had good ideas but it's not something they want to follow in Gears 4.

kodecraft

Judgement was hot, I want more of that. That makes the most sense from an eSports perspective.

Judgement just felt better then the rest of them. More like a modern TPS.

JaggedSac

Quality wise, Halo 5 is the best mp since 2.

Vade

Judgement was a better game than Gears 3. It tried new things some worked some did not ,but it felt new. Gears 3 was a regression for every one improvement there were two whys, three whats, and four hell nos.

Epic got a pass by the media on gears 3.

Zeta Oni

here it is...

Dont really have an issue with there being a new enemy "force", just hope they are as quality as the locust.

The Coalition isn't Epic Games, just like 343 isn't Bungie.

Let them do their own shit, and if it works, ill be there day one.

If it doesn't, just wont be there at all.

I would be surprised if the locust weren't skins in multiplayer but I suspect they are still building off the base rod had at epic for his post gears 3 stuff

pizzacat

Banned
Judgement was hot, I want more of that. That makes the most sense from an eSports perspective.

Judgement just felt better then the rest of them. More like a modern TPS.
Judgment was hot piece of something all right. No one played it, it dropped off the list of most played games in a month and gears 3 was above it, it didn't play like a modern TPS, it played like a modern FPS.

Whatever they do. They need to fix those framerate problems that occured during the E3 gameplay presentation.

If they manage to make it a solid experience I can see it becoming a fine shooter experience, but never the new stone where future shooters will build upon.

Top Bottom