• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War demand is high: second only to Halo2?

C4Lukins

Goreomedy said:
I hate, hate, HATE, reserving games. But I don't want to miss out on this one.

Surely there'll be enough copies to go around at places like Best Buy on release...

The only reason I reserved it was to make sure I was able to get the collectors edition. It has been years since I can recall a time where it was hard to find a huge major release on day one. It should be no problem.

Altaïr

Banned
Wario64 said:
uploadmr2.jpg

HMMMM
now try a search about google datacenters, you'll learn something today.

note to console gamers: Microsoft second biggest franchise is Ages of Empire.
Except that everyone here is talking about Xbox titles, as is the original article. PC games have nothing to do with this. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to throw out the "ignorant" card
read the quote, he's talking about Microsoft Game Studio, which includes Ensemble.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Altaïr said:
read the quote, he's talking about Microsoft Game Studio, which includes Ensemble.
This quote?:

"Halo 2" for the original Xbox had pre-orders of 1.5 million and an additional million copies were sold in its first day of release, setting the bar for subsequent Xbox titles.
Yeah, I read it just fine, thanks.

The whole article, and by extension, this thread, is obviously just talking about console games. I'm not sure why people think otherwise.

goldenpp72

I actually don't remember much hype for SA, just people assuming (and being right) it would sell amazing because the previous ones did.

I do remember hype for vice city though.

donny2112

Clearly, Sprung is a more popular game than Gears of War.

Maybe the thread should just be renamed "Google Fights inside!" :lol

Back on subject ...

I've always thought that the expectations for Gears of War were overblown. Is it the biggest title for the 360 this fall? Yes. Does that guarantee it monster sales? No.

If it sells 1 million in November, I'll be surprised. 1 million by the end of the year seems about right to me. I wouldn't stake anything on it, though. :p

I don't think Gears of War is as anticipated as Halo 2 was. People were stoked for that game as early as late 2002.

I predict:

November: 1,000,000 to 1,200,000
December: 750,000 to 1,000,000

I also believe confidently that Xbox 360 sales will hit one million for December. A lot of new gamers and Gears of War is a nice title for most 360 n00bs to tackle.

I also believe that this game will sell a couple million more copies overall. Somewhere between 4,000,000 to 5,000,000 overall. That is, if it is considered a good game. Probably be one of the "Must own" titles for the 360 throughout the remainder of its life.

As for me, I'm not going to buy it.

VALIS said:
I've always thought people were over-estimating GoW's potential sales, and that belief got reinforced tonight as I was talking to a friend of mine who just got a 360 and is a Halo nut and fits the mold of a casual gamer to a tee.

"Gonna get Gears of War next week?"
"I think I've heard about that. What is it, an FPS?"
"Yeah, it should be amazing. Big, cinematic type production values, supposedly great multiplayer, much like Halo."
"Nah. I'm really just waiting for Halo 3."

*shrug*

that never happened, meaning, that conversation never took place.

Gears is a new IP, so it probably won't be anything like Halo 2 in terms of first month sales. The first Halo only sold like 350,000 each of its first two months in the U.S., but it went on to sell about 5 million. I think Gears will follow that same pattern. It will start off relatively slow by ultimately end up selling very well over time.

Arsenal

Insertia said:
san adreas had far more hype than Gears.

SA wasn't new IP though. Lots of games have had more hype than Gears but all the ones I can think of were sequels of some sort or another.

GoW is easily the most hyped game for the 360. And more importantly, it fits the demographics of the 360 owners well. I mean, a lot of 360 fans are probably Halo fans. And GoW is certainly not even close to being a Halo-clone, but is firmly in the same genre (Sci-Fi FPS) and probably the closest thing there is an actual "Halo-Killer"

I don't think you can compare it to the original Halo, because then the Xbox and Halo were both unproven, so initial sales were tentative.

If not a million in the first month, I bet very close to it. And it wouldn't surprise me if it's closer to 2 million. It's that big.

sangreal

trancejeremy said:
And GoW is certainly not even close to being a Halo-clone, but is firmly in the same genre (Sci-Fi FPS) and probably the closest thing there is an actual "Halo-Killer"

For the record, GoW is not a FPS

Top Bottom