• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was there ever any solution to the HUD scaling in stuff like Mass Effect 3?

accx

*Crosspost from PoE thread*

So, i'm trying to configure Pillars of Eternity in a way that i can stream it to my laptop.
The thing is, i'm running 16:10 (1680*1050) on my desktop while my laptop is running at 16:9 (1366*768). It works fine but it will result in black bars on the side.
So in order to remove the black bars i have to set the game to windowed and use a resolution that will fit properly on my laptop (e.g 1600*900).
That's all fine and dandy, but..
I'm also running GeDoSaTo for downscaling, and it crashes when running in windowed mode.
So what i have to do is disable GDST before streaming it on my laptop, or live with the black bars.
It's a minor annoyance but i was wondering if anyone had any luck with running this game through GDST and in windowed mode?
I've tried running a custom resolution, and DSR but none of those actually downscales when running on the desktop. Unless i change the resolution to match the corresponding resolution that i'm downscaling from in windows first, which also creates a minor annoyance.

Ideally i'd like GDST to be active all the time so i can switch between my desktop and laptop without having to change settings and whatnot. I can of course live with the black bars and everything works fine as i said but i might as well ask and see if anyone else might've had any luck with this.

Dr Dogg

Was there ever any solution to the HUD scaling in stuff like Mass Effect 3?

You'd have to go in and change all the UI element values manually. Got Enslaved about right for 3840x2160 but I've only got a slight increase in size with ME3 though and there's lots and lots of stuff to alter. Subtitles and the dialogue wheels are the biggest pain as I think they're separate from the UI settings which use Scaleform as I got Remember Me to play ball but the subtitles, which were tiny to start with, are next to impossible to read on a TV at anything over 3840x2160.

Majukun

i don't seem to be able to make it work with any game..added the games to the whitelist (using the name of the exe without the .exe)..opened the program..choose a resolution in the config file by putting "#" behind all the other ones i didn't want to use..opened the game but nothing changes...tried it with pirate warriors 3(had to add the game in this case) or dishonored (in this case the game was already whitelisted..but still didn't work)

Mike Golf

Is anybody having any issues with the latest update? It was working for me with Beta 16 but I decided to update it today and now I can't launch any program with it open, game or otherwise. I attempted to search for Beta 16 or any older version and haven't had any luck aside from seedy download sites. Is there any fix for this or an easy way to roll back to a previous version? I am a little surprised that Durante doesn't have older versions available to download on his site or archived anywhere online; not a knock against him in any way as his contributions have been legendary, just a curiosity.

Parsnip

Is anybody having any issues with the latest update? It was working for me with Beta 16 but I decided to update it today and now I can't launch any program with it open, game or otherwise. I attempted to search for Beta 16 or any older version and haven't had any luck aside from seedy download sites. Is there any fix for this or an easy way to roll back to a previous version? I am a little surprised that Durante doesn't have older versions available to download on his site or archived anywhere online; not a knock against him in any way as his contributions have been legendary, just a curiosity.

Durante said this in the Umihara Kawase thread.
Is anyone having trouble launching games with this latest version of GeDoSaTo? I got some bug reports I can't reproduce (maybe OS related).
Try opening an issue at github or post in the Umihara thread, hopefully he'll see your post there, maybe.

The Boat

I'm new to this, do I just need to fire up Gedosato and presto I can downsample Dark Souls II for example? Don't I need to mess around with anything else? Have an AMD 390.
Also, I get a could not register global hotkey error.
EDIT: Oh yeah, it's that simple :D

galneon

Neo Member
What would be the recommended settings for FFXIII at 30fps? I don't think I quite get the framerate limiter settings.

I know this is an older post, but I find the talk by durante and others of limiting FFXIII to 30 fps to provide consistent performance a little baffling. Why not use v-sync + triple buffering instead and stick with 60 fps? I haven't read all of this thread, but have read all of the blog and there's no mention of triple buffering. The increased input latency hardly matters in this game and the framerate is a consistent 60 fps on my GTX 970.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know this is an older post, but I find the talk by durante and others of limiting FFXIII to 30 fps to provide consistent performance a little baffling. Why not use v-sync + triple buffering instead and stick with 60 fps? I haven't read all of this thread, but have read all of the blog and there's no mention of triple buffering. The increased input latency hardly matters in this game and the framerate is a consistent 60 fps on my GTX 970.

There was a bug in the game where maintaining 60fps was incredibly difficult and the framerate would constantly fluctuate.

Idk if its still around, but locking 60 was a real struggle because of the way the game was programmed.

galneon

Neo Member
It's still present--nothing's changed with the game itself. Anyone will still experience this if they play the game without forcing triple-buffering. With V-sync, you either get a framerate equivalent to your refresh rate, or half of your refresh rate, or a quarter, etc. Triple buffering exists to fill in the gaps between these clean divisions, but increases latency, making it a poor optimization for action-oriented games but perfect for a game like this.

The performance dips last a while in FF13 which is why the problem is much more noticeable than in other games in which v-sync is enabled and the framerate occasionally drops below your refresh rate.

The only reason to lock FF13 at 30 fps is if you have an older GPU which never can reach an ideal 60 fps, or if you actually prefer 30 fps (I've only heard console apologists make this claim).

Gbraga

Did you use Control Panel? Do tell me more.

I don't have a 970, but this isn't really a very demanding game.

Levyne

Banned
I couldn't maintain a constant 60 on a 780. People with all sorts of configurations had troubles. There was never really any sort of fix that I know of. People said to make sure to do x y and z abcde and there was never one place to point to that worked for everyone. Force this, don't force that. It seemed like a giant mess.

Gbraga

I couldn't maintain a constant 60 on a 780. People with all sorts of configurations had troubles. There was never really any sort of fix that I know of. People said to make sure to do x y and z abcde and there was never one place to point to that worked for everyone. Force this, don't force that. It seemed like a giant mess.

Yeah, I remembering trying every fix back then and nothing working, ended up just dealing with the inconsistency. But it's so constant that I think I'd rather just play it at 30fps. And I usually play console games unlocked when they give me the option, it's just really, REALLY bad in FFXIII.

galneon

Neo Member
Yeah I guess I'll try it too ._. seems way too easy, swear I've triad a whole lot more than that.

It's a very old problem. When Oblivion came out, I remember being frustrated that regardless of options I couldn't exceed 42/43 fps. There seemed to be a hard lock on it. My display was running at 85 hz. Once I read about the v-sync division issue and enabled triple buffering, I had a more fluid framerate (and by that, I mean it varied predictably between 80 and 40 fps depending on scene complexity rather than occasionally reaching 85 fps indoors but mostly being stuck at 42 or 43.)

Edit: Let me clarify something: When I refer to this leading to a "consistent 60 fps", I actually mean something sensible people would round up to 60 fps. When the game's performance suffers for a second or more at a time as FF13's performance is for whatever reason known to do, with triple buffering enabled the framerate will fall to the 50s for that interval, then back to 60. This is indistinguishable to my eyes. Without triple buffering, it will drop to 30, then snap back to 60.

galneon

Neo Member
Still go straight to 30 when in battles.

Make sure your profile is not for the launcher but for ff13iiiimg.exe. If forcing it in Nvidia CP doesn't work, I would try D3DOverrider. My framerate dips like anyone else's without triple buffering, and never with it.

Edit: If you're sure triple buffering is enabled properly, you should confirm it's dropping to exactly 30 fps still. If it's in the neighborhood but not latching to 30, then it is working and should be an improvement, if negligible. Stronger hardware should result in a more dramatic improvement after enabling triple buffering as framerates on my card never drop significantly below 60, but on an older card could very well drop to the 30s in busy scenes (e.g. combat). I suspect this is why in other FF13 threads people report triple buffering as either a perfect fix or totally ineffectual. In truth, if it's properly forced (along with v-sync of course), it should be helping if anything.

galneon

Neo Member
Can someone host the last build (Forlane Rei) somewhere as the latest version has a strange bug forcing blacklist mode for some people?

Vuze

Can someone host the last build (Forlane Rei) somewhere as the latest version has a strange bug forcing blacklist mode for some people?
Yeah, I'd need it too please, latest version hooks into every application from Tweetdeck to Windows Error Diagnosis lol. (Win 7 x64 btw)

galneon

Neo Member
Yeah, I'd need it too please, latest version hooks into every application from Tweetdeck to Windows Error Diagnosis lol. (Win 7 x64 btw)

This is the same thing I experience and what Mike Golf previously posted here. I think we all may be on Windows 7 x64. To say it makes my computer worthless is an understatement. Durante says he hasn't modified anything to do with hooking for months, but quite clearly a recent change has inadvertently caused the latest build to hook anything and everything for some users.

Durante

I've gotten this error report from quite a few people now, but it doesn't make any sense. I guess I'll have to go over all changes with a fine-toothed comb.

galneon

Neo Member
No change following today's commit. Would still love to see the Forlane Rei build somewhere so I can use the tool I've become accustomed to using for so many games... I'll continue to try new builds as you attempt to figure this problem out.

Durante

No change following today's commit. Would still love to see the Forlane Rei build somewhere so I can use the tool I've become accustomed to using for so many games... I'll continue to try new builds as you attempt to figure this problem out.
You can get any build ever by navigating to the desired commit and downloading the dll directly from Github. (Of course, you shouldn't update then, and you might run into .ini incompatibilities)

E.g. here's a commit before any of the recent changes: https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/tree/efc2fbe9b3b93530348d0485bba79730eeb78f66/pack

Yahzi

Neo Member
Hi Durante. Can we expect a version of Gedosato that works with DX11?

I love your program, but I really, really want to use it with the latest titles, like Witcher 3. Please let us know when you plan (or if you plan to) to release it.

Thanks.

galneon

Neo Member
I should have checked out the path dir. For some reason I'd assumed the Git only had source. Thanks!

As for build 1912, same story here I'm afraid. I installed from scratch. Interesting to read it isn't just affecting Windows 7 users.

Anteater

yeah I'm having that issue with programs not launching with gedosato opened, I shouldn't have updated :lol

reverted back to the older ver for now

Yahzi

Neo Member
This may seem like a silly question, but is there a way to "trick" a game that is DX10/DX11 into DX9?

The reason I ask is because I really want to play games that are DX10+ using Gedosato to downscale.

This may seem like a silly question, but is there a way to "trick" a game that is DX10/DX11 into DX9?

The reason I ask is because I really want to play games that are DX10+ using Gedosato to downscale.

Short answer: not really, they're fundamentally different APIs with different feature sets.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Thanks for answering. Pity. : (

I have an old game (Fall out New Vegas) that I want to downscale using the program, but when selecting the higher resolution it tells me : 'failed to initialise renderer - resolution not supported.

I've used Gedosato to downscale lots of games, Crysus, Dead Space etc. But Fall Out 3/New Vegas is giving me troubles. Would love to play it with better graphics.

Khilandros

You can get any build ever by navigating to the desired commit and downloading the dll directly from Github. (Of course, you shouldn't update then, and you might run into .ini incompatibilities)

E.g. here's a commit before any of the recent changes: https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/tree/efc2fbe9b3b93530348d0485bba79730eeb78f66/pack

I'm in win 7 64 and the latest version wasn't working for me at all, I swapped the dll to this (Forlane Rei) and it worked for me.

Moonlight

Banned
Hunted around the search for a while, but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but... I can't click anything on the Steam overlay while I'm downsampling. I can bring it up, and it will update with chat and whatnot, but I can't actually click anything. If I hover over something, the mouse doesn't change at all and it's like I'm clicking nothing. Anyone know what's up with that?

jett

D-Member
I've had Dark Souls for ages, but I never really bothered to really play it all that much for whatever reason. I figure I might as well play it finally. Just want to know if 60fps introduces gameplay-altering or gamebreaking bugs?

Parsnip

I've had Dark Souls for ages, but I never really bothered to really play it all that much for whatever reason. I figure I might as well play it finally. Just want to know if 60fps introduces gameplay-altering or gamebreaking bugs?

There are some things you need to be careful about when you unlock the framerate, sliding down some specific ladders might break collision and you could slide into oblivion, sometimes you may get stuck on a bonfire if you sit down and stand up too fast (I think that's the reason) and some jumps in the game are tighter.

You can toggle the framerate with a keyboard shortcut though, so if a jump seems impossible, toggle to 30 and try again.

Also, you are in the wrong thread. GeDoSaTo doesn't do Dark Souls, you want DSFix.
DSFix gaf thread.

Gbraga

You can toggle the framerate with a keyboard shortcut though, so if a jump seems impossible, toggle to 30 and try again.

That's all you need to know for a first playthrough. Not even that, actually, none of the jumps are required, all optional stuff.

Now I play at 30fps most of the time, just so I don't have to keep toggling it, because now I'm very familiar with the levels and do all sorts of 30fps only skips on casual playthroughs, but for the first (few) time(s), no reason not to play at 60. It's much better.

I have little trouble with gedosato for zestiria.
Whatever I do, the fps is locked to 28fps instead of 30. Downsampling from 5k, 4k or even 2k results in the same way.

Redmoon

I have little trouble with gedosato for zestiria.
Whatever I do, the fps is locked to 28fps instead of 30. Downsampling from 5k, 4k or even 2k results in the same way.

May be the game itself, not necessarily gedo. People are reporting it not actually running at 30 fps but slightly under. For me for example, its running at 29.2-29.5

May be the game itself, not necessarily gedo. People are reporting it not actually running at 30 fps but slightly under. For me for example, its running at 29.2-29.5

Well, yes. It's actually running at 29.6 fps for me.
But with gedo on, it's running at 28,5 fps instead. No matter what I do with the gedo settings. Even though I'm only using fxaa in gedo (I tried it for research), it's still dropping to 28,5.

jett

D-Member
There are some things you need to be careful about when you unlock the framerate, sliding down some specific ladders might break collision and you could slide into oblivion, sometimes you may get stuck on a bonfire if you sit down and stand up too fast (I think that's the reason) and some jumps in the game are tighter.

Also, you are in the wrong thread. GeDoSaTo doesn't do Dark Souls, you want DSFix.
DSFix gaf thread.

Oh okay, thanks. I thought GDST worked for all games.

In case you guys missed it, there is one DX11 game currently supported. It's the reason for Durante's latest tag change, lol
Wow I didn't even know he made it !
Great stuff so now DX11 could be working for some games ?

Latley I was toying around with the idea of integrating HBAO+ library (NVIDIA Gameworks) into an injector but apparently it is only for DX11 SM4.0 shaders so DX9 only definitely wouldn't cut it. Just an idea I probably won't have the time but...

Top Bottom