• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gen Urobuchi penned to write the first Animated Godzilla film due 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...urobuchi-animated-by-polygon-pictures/.105542

bg-2.jpg

Kobun Shizuno (Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare and other Detective Conan movies, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Kenshirô, Fist of the North Star: The Legend of Toki) and Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin, Knights of Sidonia) are directing the film at POLYGON PICTURES. Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass) of Nitroplus is credted with the story concept and screenplay.

The film will open next year. TOHO Ad Co., Ltd registered the godzilla-anime.com domain earlier this month.

TOHO's newest Godzilla film, Shin Godzilla (known as Godzilla: Resurgence in Southeast Asia and other distribution territories), opened in Japan on July 29, and Funimation plans to release the film in theaters in late 2016. TOHO released the first film in the franchise in 1954, and since the opening of Shin Godzilla, TOHO's live-action Godzilla franchise of 29 films has collectively sold over 100 million tickets in Japan. American films about Godzilla opened in 1998 and 2014, and Legendary plans to release a Godzilla sequel in 2019, followed by Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020.

The franchise already inspired two western animated series: one from Hanna-Barbera in 1978 and one that served as a follow-up to the 1998 film. The Godzilla character first appeared in a Japanese television anime on July 22 in a crossover with Crayon Shin-chan. However, the upcoming anime project will be the franchise's first animated film.

It looks like after all the money Shin Godzilla was making Toho couldn't help, but allow another successful anime writer take a shot at Godzilla.

jackal27

Banned
Yessssss give me all the Godzilla animated or otherwise.

By the way if you guys haven't watched Godzilla: The Animated Series, please go and remedy that mistake. If you hate the 97 Godzilla, it'll completely cleanse your palette. It's a lot of fun and has tons of references to the Toho movies like King Kong Escapes.

This is such an absolute dream come true. Can't wait for the genre deconstruction and treatise on moral relativity about a walking nuclear holocaust.

I just hope it doesn't look TOO junky. Polygon Pictures is a 3D studio and is responsible for the likes of this:

tumblr_o15uwkLZaq1uifby2o4_500.gif

Although they also did Sidonia which looked much better.

Yasumi

Banned
If it's Urobuchi, Godzilla's probably going to be made of dead people or something. Curious to see what he'll come up with for his morbid twist.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The characters are practically guaranteed to be boring, but at least the film's mostly about a monster.

If it's Urobuchi, Godzilla's probably going to be made of dead people or something. Curious to see what he'll come up with for his morbid twist.

Nice...
Always thought that GMK was ballsy in its plotting.

Just found out about this. Holy crap am I hyped! Is this kind of a quick turnaround though, even with a CG/Anime studio doing it (presuming they only started this year)? Not that any Toho Godzilla movie has ever had all that much pre-production time, but if this is their way to annualize the series again, while giving their teams actual time to make the movies proper and all that (live action Godzilla in 2018 perhaps), well gee, that would be pretty dang spectacular.

TBH I'm surprised that there hasn't been an anime series or movie sooner. But I guess better late than never.

Toho is notoriously protective of the character and has always been very overbearing over what other companies do with Godzilla.

I think Shin Godzilla being so successful is finally making them be a little more open with the interpretation of the character.

Rymuth

Cast announced
  • Yuuki Kaji
  • Takahiro Sakurai
  • Mamoru Miyano
  • Junichi Suwabe
  • Kana Hanazawa
  • Tomokazu Sugita

New picture

concept_img.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.