• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

Squishy3

i could get this on pc but i'll probably get it on xbone because it would feel so weird to play a geometry wars on something that isn't a xbox

clav

Need reviews and impressions.

Game is not made by the original developers of the series, so I'm skeptical.

It's kind of weird that when you pass a level with less than 3 stars, it doesn't tell you the score you had to reach. Like I keep replaying levels, and I have to go back into the level to see how far away from the goal score I am. It tells you the target that you passed, but not the next target. That would have been something I would have suggestd changed if I was beta testing this game.

Lé Blade Runner;140304802 said:
Good weird or bad weird?
bad weird. I'm basically paying $15 dollars to play tonight and tomorrow before i go to work, tomorrow night is when i can see if I'm actually any good. the stick on the DS4 is just too far from my thumb's resting point to feel like i have full control. and its tension is, well, "off" compared to what my muscle memory is used to.

there's a new effect when gates spawn that can sometimes be extremely helpful, but I'm running into the sides when i shouldn't be. I'm also unable to pull off intricate movement like i remember. the perspective tilt when nearing the level edges is initially disorienting but ultimately it doesn't seem detrimental.

According to the store description, the XB1 version unlocks at 4:01 PM tomorrow PST, can't wait to give it a try. I'm definitely a casual at this game compared to alot of people in this thread but I still really enjoyed GW2 on the 360.

I still can't quite believe this game is coming out, I thought Activision would leave the IP to die. Thank goodness they resurrected Sierra to publish these types of games, best thing Activision has done in a long time, IMO.

clav

According to the store description, the XB1 version unlocks at 4:01 PM tomorrow PST, can't wait to give it a try. I'm definitely a casual at this game compared to alot of people in this thread but I still really enjoyed GW2 on the 360.

I still can't quite believe this game is coming out, I thought Activision would leave the IP to die. Thank goodness they resurrected Sierra to publish these types of games, best thing Activision has done in a long time, IMO.

Kuju made the Wii and DS version right?

What was the name again? Galaxies?

Sierra was just the publisher.

bad weird. I'm basically paying $15 dollars to play tonight and tomorrow before i go to work, tomorrow night is when i can see if I'm actually any good. the stick on the DS4 is just too far from my thumb's resting point to feel like i have full control. and its tension is, well, "off" compared to what my muscle memory is used to.

there's a new effect when gates spawn that can sometimes be extremely helpful, but I'm running into the sides when i shouldn't be. I'm also unable to pull off intricate movement like i remember. the perspective tilt when nearing the level edges is initially disorienting but ultimately it doesn't seem detrimental.

If I can't adjust to the DS4 I'll just grab it on PC and use my trusty 360 controller :p

there's also the option to switch which stick controls what, which i think is cool. i scored 6m on my first time controlling with my right thumb. pretty trippy.

For those asking about me (and others) streaming, many of us are Xboxers in this regard, so we'll be going strong sometime tomorrow.

I am a huge Geometry Wars fan, just got done playing 90 min of GW3 and love it.
It's basically GW2 but with much better graphics so if you are worried about a different dev, don't be. The adventure mode is cool, feels very Superstardust and it has boss battles so it also gets a little Resogun type stuff in it. Also it has an online versus mode and 4-player local coop...just writing that made my pants get shorter.

Big fan so far!

I am a huge Geometry Wars fan, just got done playing 90 min of GW3 and love it.
It's basically GW2 but with much better graphics so if you are worried about a different dev, don't be. The adventure mode is cool, feels very Superstardust and it has boss battles so it also gets a little Resogun type stuff in it. Also it has an online versus mode and 4-player local coop...just writing that made my pants get shorter.

Big fan so far!

Great! Hoping to hear more impressions before I make the purchase myself. Too bad I lost out on the preorder goodies

How do you feel about the classic modes?

Camera isn't an issue in the new 3D modes?

What did everyone complain about to have such negative PAX impressions? Is the release build just significantly better?

Twitch is down/laggy all over tonight.

Can't seem to get any info on this game tonight, so I guess I'll wait for tomorrow

Well I'll give you my impressions from what I've played so far.

• Buttery Smooth 60fps
  • Game looks visually better than the others. The people who were saying otherwise need their eyes checked or a better monitor/tv
  • Controls like Geometry Wars. Plays like Geometry Wars. Is Geometry Wars.
  • Seeing the pre spawn shadow of enemies is less distracting than I thought, which is good. You ignore it once things get hectic.
  • I'm a little 50/50 with new black hole look. It's cool looking but can be hard to see the middle of it due to it's new effects.
  • Repulsars can actually be killed easier than the cheap ones from Geo Wars 2 that had a tiny weak spot.
  • The remixes. Oh god the remixes. They are sooo good.
  • All the classic modes that returned play exactly how they did in Geo Wars 2.
  • Camera angels in classic mode aren't locked in place. They do angel at times but it's reeeally minimum and actually do more of making it seem neat than "oh god i can't focus. You'll forget about it immediately.
  • Adventure mode is fun. Levels have interesting twists and catches to them. Even adds more enemies to the mix. Makes it seem more diverse like Geo Wars Galaxies did.
  • Overall fun game. Officially taken me away from Resongun.

• Buttery Smooth 60fps
  • Game looks visually better than the others. The people who were saying otherwise need their eyes checked or a better monitor/tv
  • Seeing the pre spawn shadow of enemies is less distracting than I thought, which is good. You ignore it once things get hectic.
  • I'm a little 50/50 with new black hole look. It's cool looking but can be hard to see the middle of it due to it's new effects.
  • Repulsars can actually be killed easier than the cheap ones from Geo Wars 2 that had a tiny weak spot.
  • Camera angels in classic mode aren't locked in place. They do angel at times but it's reeeally minimum and actually do more of making it seem neat than "oh god i can't focus. You'll forget about it immediately.
  • Adventure mode is fun. Levels have interesting twists and catches to them. Even adds more enemies to the mix. Makes it seem more diverse like Geo Wars Dimensions did.

^^^ I agree with all of this

Well I'm totally sucked into this game. Also I suck. Almost 2 hours and only 18 stars. I'll be playing this for a long time. Can't even get one star on the peanut level LOL.

• Buttery Smooth 60fps
  • Adventure mode is fun. Levels have interesting twists and catches to them. Even adds more enemies to the mix. Makes it seem more diverse like Geo Wars Dimensions did.

^^^ I agree with all of this

Dammnnnn.

Sounds like I should have preordered D:

The exclusive PlayStation shapes sound really cool.

Thank you very much for this feedback. I am scouring everywhere for impressions, but it's also hard to discern casual opinions from critical fan feedback from people who know their stuff.

So, wow, it's the real deal then. Wonder what naysayers have to say... I am wondering if maybe the PAX build was different. I'd really like to know what was up with all of that.

Also, Resogun's second DLC got even more time in development because Sony was so impressed that they asked for more to be added.

The trailer should be out soon, and the DLC will be playable at Sony's conference thing in December.

All they need to do now is announce Super Stardust HD Delta port to PS4, and I will be happy for twin stick shooters all generation long!

HBroward

This game is great, really happy it turned out well. This game is going to suck a lot of hours out of my life. My only slight complaint is that classic modes just don't feel the same for some reason, part of it is the background perhaps, really miss the old field.

This game is great, really happy it turned out well. This game is going to suck a lot of hours out of my life. My only slight complaint is that classic modes just don't feel the same for some reason, part of it is the background perhaps, really miss the old field.

Is it just the aesthetics? Controls are just like before/really responsive?

I wont be affected by backgrounds, but if the gameplay is somehow different (for the worse) I would think it would be a letdown

Damn, I want to play this, but got to wait for the Xbox vs PS comparisons. Most stuff I'll just blind buy the PS4 edition but I'm feeling like I'd prefer the XBO controller, and there's a good chance both versions of equal. Probably not much chance of a Digital Foundry deep dive for this.

HBroward

Is it just the aesthetics? Controls are just like before/really responsive?

I wont be affected by backgrounds, but if the gameplay is somehow different (for the worse) I would think it would be a letdown

Controls are exactly the same, no worries there. Probably the new slight tilt the camera does is what I noticed. As some one else mentioned I'm sure I'll get used to it, didn't spend too long in the classic modes.

Controls are exactly the same, no worries there. Probably the new slight tilt the camera does is what I noticed. As some one else mentioned I'm sure I'll get used to it, didn't spend too long in the classic modes.

Thank you. Think I'll buy this tomorrow morning. It will be the last thing I purchase until Bloodborne, most likely.

Super excited to read all this info, hopefully the thread/reviews/impressions are tenfold in the morning.

Would love to add some of you on PlayStation to feed this competitive spark this game is known for

fernoca

Glad to be playing this after all this years. Amazing! So many hours on #2 and can see myself doing the same on this one.

The music is incredible.

The PlayStation 'Symbolic' stage was a nice touch. The enemy forming the Triangle, Circle, X and Square....same colors too.

Well worth the wait and money.

Top Bottom