• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia sheriff, deputies indicted after body searches of 900 high school students

“The sheriff’s position is that he’s not guilty,” Hobby’s attorney, Norman Crowe Jr., told the news outlet. The sheriff was at the school for the raid but personally did not touch students, the lawyer maintained. “He’s committed no crime.”
That's not how this works.
The search brought unwanted national attention on the department. As the controversy broke, Hobby gave an off-camera interview to WALB in which he said the searches were legal because school administrators were present.
That's not how any of this works.
strange how 75% of their targets missed school that day... coincidence?@?!

that's the best part, they knew exactly who they were lookin for

none of this was necessary

Tahnit

Banned
thats it. scrap the police system. time for something new, with more governmental oversight. All police depts think they can now get away with anything they want cause they are cops.

Fuck the system. It doesnt work.

Pizza

Shit if the fucking police department rolled into my school I'd turn them away from my class until they got a warrant at the very least. Even if I could prevent 30 kids from getting /illegally felt up/ by cops idc how hard they'd come at me. I really care for my students and there's no way in hell I wouldn't put up a fight for them.

JoeBoy101

So yes, this was illegal on the part of the sheriff, and at least 9 out of 900 students were groped by some number of these forty cops.

But this wasn't 40 cops groping 900 kids. This wasn't 40 cops groping 9 kids. This was some unknown number of cops (probably a few at most) groping an unknown number of kids(probably more than 9). Some of those cops are complicit even if they didn't grope, for sure. Some other number were told they're serving a warrant and properly frisked students.

I understand you don't want to throw in with the invective, and I appreciate that.

But, ignoring the groping charges for a moment, you're suggesting that the Sheriff lied to his staff about there being a warrant? Or that they didn't know patdowns were happening?

All of those 40, ALL OF THEM, were part of over 900 illegal searches in one day. That is not in any kind of dispute of the facts. And are we to really believe that any of the officers reasonably thought they got a warrant for 900 students?

Come on.

Pizza said:
Shit if the fucking police department rolled into my school I'd turn them away from my class until they got a warrant at the very least. Even if I could prevent 30 kids from getting /illegally felt up/ by cops idc how hard they'd come at me. I really care for my students and there's no way in hell I wouldn't put up a fight for them.

To make a point on this, I fully believe the Sheriff could have threatened the administration with arrest of they didn't cooperate, especially since nobody had agreed to it. But you know what? Its time people get some professional courage and stand their ground when the cops show up and demand you rollover illegally. That nurse in Ohio didn't and got arrested, but it drew even more attention to their bullying tactics. Same could have happened here. The principal and some, if not all, of the Asst. principals should have told the Sheriff to piss off (diplomatically of course) and to return with a warrant or to conduct a turn out search themselves of THOSE students identified. Sure, they likely would have been arrested, but can you actually be charged with obstruction of justice when the officers in question are acting illegally, as in this case? Even if not, better to stand up for your students and staff than roll over.

I understand you don't want to throw in with the invective, and I appreciate that.

But, ignoring the groping charges for a moment, you're suggesting that the Sheriff lied to his staff about there being a warrant? Or that they didn't know patdowns were happening?

All of those 40, ALL OF THEM, were part of over 900 illegal searches in one day. That is not in any kind of dispute of the facts. And are we to really believe that any of the officers reasonably thought they got a warrant for 900 students?

Come on.

On this point, I could be more likely to agree with you. I really have no idea if the sheriff lied to them about the legality of it. Of course, that's a huge deal in and of itself. Maybe every officer knew the searches were illegal. But it also a far cry from accusing 40 separate male and female officers of purposely knowingly going into the school for the precise reason of groping and sexually abusing 900 students. Which many posters have flat out said happened. It's absurd.

(I'm going to regret this, right?)

So yes, this was illegal on the part of the sheriff, and at least 9 out of 900 students were groped by some number of these forty cops.

But this wasn't 40 cops groping 900 kids. This wasn't 40 cops groping 9 kids. This was some unknown number of cops (probably a few at most) groping an unknown number of kids(probably more than 9). Some of those cops are complicit even if they didn't grope, for sure. Some other number were told they're serving a warrant and properly frisked students.

(Why on earth did I bother to write this.)

40 cops raped 900 kids. Fuck all cops.

#notallgropers

like the sheriff's thought process is baffling as fuck. did he really think he could waltz in there with his whole department, no warrant, search all these minors and waltz out without catching heat?

Top Bottom