• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Review Thread [Certified Fresh - 75%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the movie is getting good reviews (which it is for the most part). Everybody is going to dismiss them and just cite the bad reviews.

Oersted

Looks like the scores won't validate either 'side' lol

Hating a film because it involves women makes one side invalid.

It still can be shit to fantastic, no matter the film. That was not the point of the discussion, but I can see why people will easily miss that point.

Don't be triggered by women. That point does not disappear when a film is bad nor is validated when the film is great.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The big question has always been if people will actually go see this. It being a typical Summer movie could help it.

Hard to say, this has been one of the weakest summers in a long time. So many movies are underperforming.
I can't imagine the negative word of mouth and the poor marketing has helped this.

If you’d told me that the worst thing about a new Ghostbusters film would be Bill Murray, I would have laughed in your face. And yet… here we are.

Not surprising since he was literally legally forced in this movie in which he did not want to be part of.

At least he knew that this was just a terrible reference/cameo fest every 10 min to the original movie this movie wants to be.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's hilarious that people have been whining forever that this isn't loyal at all to the originals and the main complaint I'm seeing in reviews is that it's too loyal to the originals.

That's because you can't make a Ghostbusters sequel that isn't too faithful to the original because it's Ghostbusters and there's only a few things about it that make it Ghostbusters that you HAVE to have in it.

IE making a new Ghostbusters movie in the first place was a dumb idea. Original cast or not.

BriGuy

It sounds kind of like any other random movie. You'll see it if you were interested in it or let it fade from memory until the commercials for its home release start rolling out.

How's that for insight?

I will not let this Ghostbusters 2 slander stand!

damn right

IJW2FOO.gif

Seems like a good enough movie considering most people decided to hate it from the beginning. I'm glad its not a total disaster, going to see it next weekend.

Oh I care about reviews

What I don't care about are the Ghostbros on reddit

Ghostbros were never going to see this movie. They're going to pretend to see it and say it's a terrible movie but what they're actually going to do is parrot criticisms from other sources.

Or say it's "average and middle of the road" and then make the same tired complaint that "both sides are wrong" which is more annoying quite frankly.

Biske

Every time one of these movies comes out I wonder what movies people think they watched as a kid.

A lot of these "childhood" movies were hardly masterpieces.

antonz

Looking to be an Average at best movie. Things like best comedy of the year means nothing when the competition is things like Dirty Grandpa.

Oh well all sides involved will continue their fights.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Very "polite" reviews coming out of some outlets because of the political space this film occupies.

B33

Banned
Every time one of these movies comes out I wonder what movies people think they watched as a kid.

Goonies is an example of this phenomenon. It's not a good movie.

Reviews are reminding me of The Heat. The plot seems like an afterthought and the jokes are hit and miss but the cast is strong enough to push it over the edge into being worth seeing. Makes sense.

MrBadger

Huh, lots of good reviews and nothing in the red so far on Metacritic. That's better than I expected. I'll read a handful of them when I can, but I'll be happy if this is good.

Jigorath

Banned
With the Sony Email leaks it came out that Sony would do legal actions if Bill Murray wouldnt be part of this movie.

I doubt they went through with that after the leaked emails went public, the last thing they needed then was another PR shitstorm. It sounds like Murray just did the cameo for kicks.

SMG

How about go watch these movies before trying to dismiss peoples options.
The original Ghostbusters is a fantastically well made film.
The cast play off each other with a friendly ease but the script is always there as a spine for the greater narrative to build. The score is massively over looked, mainly due to the success of the novelty song that drew away the attention.

Reviews are reminding me of The Heat. The plot seems like an afterthought and the jokes are hit and miss but the cast is strong enough to push it over the edge into being worth seeing. Makes sense.

I fucking hate the Heat, not only was it poor as a film but they act like they are forward thinking and inclusive and then make a character albino just to take the piss out of the condition.

Very "polite" reviews coming out of some outlets because of the political space this film occupies.

Oh knock off the conspiracy junk. Plenty of the bad reviews were scathing. Hell one of them called it scarier and funnier than tje orgiginal and still managed to say it wasn't nearly as good.

Man I like Furious 7 and other wack ass movies

I love everything

Well it is said love makes you do crazy things...

Kidding Bronson, you're cool in my book! :D

Good to see that the movie will do alright. Not great, not terrible, just alright. I just hope they do well in box office sales.

Goonies is an example of this phenomenon. It's not a good movie.

It's not a masterpiece obviously lol but in terms of kid adventure flicks it was a hell of a lot better than many of the other films that have followed it. Only one that gives it a run for its money is attack the Block honestly. Super 8 sure as hell didn't step up to the task.

Goonies kids were pretty hilarious too.

Donner was a really solid genre director at the time. The Omen, Superman, Goonies, Lethal Weapon. Dude was a monster

And I think ghostbusters is worthy of being called a classic. That and back to the future are very entertaining sci fi comedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom