• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI (June 07) Review Scores

duckroll

Etrian Odyssey has a story to uncover. But sadly for 'Fight' and 'Heal', they were too weak to venture past the first area of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Alas... maybe if they brought their friend 'Powerup' along they might have stood a chance.....

Durante

DarknessTear said:
I dunno, though. It's a Gust game.
Yeah, that's why I'm watching out for it. Out of 3 Gust games I played, I enjoyed one and loved another. One was just mediocre, but that's still a ratio at least on par with most, and better than some, JRPG companies.

duckroll said:
Etrian Odyssey has a story to uncover. But sadly for 'Fight' and 'Heal', they were too weak to venture past the first area of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Alas... maybe if they brought their friend 'Powerup' along they might have stood a chance.....
I see, but is it really on par with SMT3/DDS (I find that extremely hard to believe - I'd be ecstatic though). Also, that's "Buff" for you. Reminds me of "Bow" in BoF2.

duckroll

Durante said:
I see, but is it really on par with SMT3/DDS (I find that extremely hard to believe - I'd be ecstatic though). Also, that's "Buff" for you. Reminds me of "Bow" in BoF2.

The story is very different. In EO, the story is very passive. It's like a lite novel where as you go deeper you discover more about the labyrinth and the worldview. There's definitely a story and it's interesting but its definitely exploration based as opposed to a player orientated scenario.

Having said that, there's still no excuse to print something so juvenille as "Boo hoo I named my characters 'Fight' and 'Heal' just so I knew what they were good for! This game suxxx!" in a professional review.

Was he Bow for his weapon or was he Bow as in Bow-wow cuz he was a dog?

More importantly, wasn't the bow-wielder named Bo in the first Breath of Fire?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
g.i. just can't get it right. they grossly underrate paper mario 2, then overrate super paper mario. i love both games, but neither got close to the score it deserved.

somebody's overcompensating

Evlar

Banned
I can't stop wondering about this. Couldn't he have figured out their roles by their skill sets? Or by their character portraits? The guy in a skirt probably isn't your frontline defender. Or speaking of which wouldn't it be obvious which were frontline troops and which were backline by whether they were in the front or the back line?

This isn't like FFXII where EVERYone looks like they just walked off a fashion show runway and they all end up with the same skillset anyway. If I'm looking at a character whose class is 'Protector', whose skills include several synonyms of 'Defend', and whose portrait is wearing full body armor (even if I pick the 4 foot tall blonde chick), do I really need to NAME THE CHARACTER 'Meatshield' to remind myself of her role?

duckroll

The Sphinx said:
I can't stop wondering about this. Couldn't he have figured out their roles by their skill sets? Or by their character portraits? The guy in a skirt probably isn't your frontline defender. Or speaking of which wouldn't it be obvious which were frontline troops and which were backline by whether they were in the front or the back line?

This isn't like FFXII where EVERYone looks like they just walked off a fashion show runway and they all end up with the same skillset anyway. If I'm looking at a character whose class is 'Protector', whose skills include several synonyms of 'Defend', and whose portrait is wearing full body armor (even if I pick the 4 foot tall blonde chick), do I really need to NAME THE CHARACTER 'Meatshield' to remind myself of her role?

Erm. Actually if you've played the game it doesn't even make sense. The game starts with character creation where you pick a class , a gender and a name for each character you want to create. You can have up to 5 characters in your party at a time, but you can register a bunch of backup characters in the guild and just rotate as you see fit. It's a completely player-choice game. The fact that he chose to play that way just reflects his mentality towards the game. It's childish and unprofessional. :p

Durante

duckroll said:
Having said that, there's still no excuse to print something so juvenille as "Boo hoo I named my characters 'Fight' and 'Heal' just so I knew what they were good for! This game suxxx!" in a professional review.
Of course not. As I said, I agree with the sentiment that the review sucks. But really, it's GI and a JRPG. What would anyone expect?

Haunted

"I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle."
10156bio4.gif

Avalon

Durante said:
Of course not. As I said, I agree with the sentiment that the review sucks. But really, it's GI and a JRPG. What would anyone expect?

I think there whole problem with it was that it wasn't JRPG'ish enough. All their bitching suggest they wanted a hold my hand story focused RPG.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Avalon said:
I think there whole problem with it was that it wasn't JRPG'ish enough. All their bitching suggest they wanted a hold my hand story focused RPG.
It's not what they want, it's what they think you want.
Don't forget.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I swear for every neat exclusive they get, their reviews are just so ****ing laughable it's impossible for an exclusive to save their sorry ass magazine in my eyes. good thing I get this for free.

d[-_-]b

Banned
duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
does that have enough :lol to state how funny I found this :D.

Mrbob said:
Super Paper Mario is one of the most overrated games of the year so far.
Hmm, perhaps, imo it's a solid AA game, but definitely not a 9.5 or AAA game. The scores have been mixed, but most of the well respected reviewers have been giving it a AA if I'm not mistaken.

Mrbob said:
1) The Story is horrible
The main storyline is pretty bland, but the smaller storylines(i.e. within the worlds) and the dialogue are top-notch. So considering the strength of those elements, you are wrong about the story being horrible. If you are genuine in your opinion, then I think you have bad taste in video-game storyline elements and thus your opinion is probably not valid for the vast majority of gamers.

Mrbob said:
2) The Wiimote functionality is a joke
There wasn't much wii-mote functionality at all, so what big problem did you have with the little use of the wii-mote that was in there? And if you're problem is the fact that there wasn't much wii-mote usage, then you should say that, instead of saying it's a "joke."

Mrbob said:
3) The 2D/3D mechanic isn't implemented very well
WHAT? the 2D/3D mechanic is awesome. I absolutely love what it adds to the gameplay. It made so many new types of puzzle and secrets possible.

Mrbob said:
4) The supporting cast outside of Mario is worthless
Partly Agreed, by only giving Mario the ability to flip dimensions, it made all of the characters seem more like tools that you call upon every now and then when you need them to do something. Calling them worthless is a bit much, as you simply can not finish the game without the other characters help at times.

Oneself

It's pretty sure to come out, at least on PS3.. "Riddick HD" has been listed for over a month in EB Canada's PS3 new release list, and it says November 14th 2007.

And maybe it's old, but other nice things can be found on that (PS3) list as well; Beautiful Katamari was there before the announcement, "F.E.A.R. Comp", may very well be a FEAR compilation (with the PC expansions) since it's listed at 79.99$CAD for a September 07 release and "Two Worlds" is also on that list (Nov. release).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Not that the "fight" and "heal" remark isn't ridiculous, but the thing that bothers me the most about the EO review is the line: "I have nothing against games that hearken back to old-school sensibilities, but EO just feels like an outdated game that snuck onto a modern console." It just baffles me. How? Such a blatant contradiction in a single sentence! "I love peanuts, but these peanuts have a definite peanutty taste! makes me sick!"

soul

I know I'm bumping this thread but the 8 pages of The Last Remnant have been scanned & uploaded in high quality;

XSamu

Banned
Kintaro said:
I'm bored, might as well.

Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia (360) - 7.5 (7.25 SO)
This is bullshit, they were paid to give this game such a high mark. It deserves a 3.

Kintaro said:
Rumors:

Halo 3 in Sept.
Riddick: Butcher Bay getting an updated port to the PS3/360
These are now confirmed.
Kintaro said:
"Does raw power matter in the console war?" "Did Wii online get a free pass?"
YES
Kintaro said:
"Is PC gaming dead?" "Are Console Exclusives always bad for gamers?" "Can anyone make good Wii games other than Nintendo?" "Is Microsoft ripping you off?" "Is the PSP a failure?" "Will downloadable content replace retail?"
NO
Kintaro said:
"Has the PS3 already lost?"
Only God knows :/

Top Bottom