• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Sucker Punch talks letting go of Sly Cooper, playing Sly 4, and purchased by Sony

AznSniper

Really interesting video feature about Sucker Punch and how they were approached by companies to do games, but they still stuck with Sony. They also praise Sanzaru for their work!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ker-punch-talks-letting-go-of-sly-cooper.aspx

Before the days of Infamous and electrocuting civilians, Sucker Punch Productions created the more family-friendly games Rocket: Robot on Wheels and Sly Cooper. While visiting the studio a couple of months ago for the Infamous Second Son cover story, I spoke with the studio's co-founder Brian Fleming and game director Nate Fox for an in-depth video feature on the development of the first Infamous. There were a lot of great answers and stories from the team that didn't make the cut for that video, so I decided to produce this new feature taking a larger look at the history of Sucker Punch.

Watch the video below to learn about the early days of the studio, leaving the Sly Cooper series in the hands of another developer, and why they were purchased by Sony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8awfZTBkGk

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Now let go of inFAMOUS.

I would have agreed with you if they were sticking with the same tired character, but the new guy in Second Son is interesting and they've changed enough to where the game seems like it can really stand on its own.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sucker Punch "single company single project focus, small" = Quality titles.

Insomnaic " lets expand as fast as we can, let make billion games at once" = horrible titles.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I would have agreed with you if they were sticking with the same tired character, but the new guy in Second Son is interesting and they've changed enough to where the game seems like it can really stand on its own.
Regardless of the quality of Second Son the shift between console generations has always proved to be a good time for fresh IP and ideas for Sucker Punch. Seeing Sucker Punch still tied to the Infamous franchise just seems like a missed opportunity.

Chuck

Still without luck
who's rocket?

2312982-198506_42820_front.jpg

B.O.O.M

Now let go of inFAMOUS.

Hell to the NO!

OT: Nate is awesome :D I like him..funny guy. It's a really awesome video too and gives some good insight to their company and their relationship with Sony. One of my most favorite dev teams around and I wish them the best of luck with Second Son. It looks all kinds of badass

Empty

- didn't realize sly 3 was so rushed. that explains a lot.

- kinda want to try that n64 rocket game

- nice to see them give props to thieves in time. sony should buy sanzaru and get them to make games on ps4 for all those character action series the original teams have moved on from. they did excellent work on sly 4.

great video. wall of letters from kids about sly is very sweet.

Sanzaru did a fantastic job with Sly Cooper and I hope they are making Sly 5 for the PS4.

Also, InFamous is probably one of my favourite new game series to come out of this whole generation so they are onto a good thing as well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with this. To be honest I really don't like Infamous 1 or 2 much at all, 2 especially I found to be quite awful but Second Son I think is looking pretty good. I certainly don't wish for any studio to fail so I hope it is great. Certainly looks pretty.

Carl

Regardless of the quality of Second Son the shift between console generations has always proved to be a good time for fresh IP and ideas for Sucker Punch. Seeing Sucker Punch still tied to the Infamous franchise just seems like a missed opportunity.

New character, new setting, completely new story, new powers. It may as well be a new series. I don't see why they need to do a new IP. If they want to do this, it's up to them. It's probably their most successful franchise so it's easy to see why

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
New character, new setting, completely new story, new powers. It may as well be a new series.
There is a stark difference between the different franchises Sucker Punch released. Call of Duty has new characters, new settings, a new story, and new powers every go around. I'm not passing any judgement on the quality of the title or its merit for existing, but it still feels familiar to me.

B.O.O.M

I think after Second Son they should have a chance to do a new IP.

I would be ok with that. I would actually like to see them to that 'Nasty Little Things' game they pitched to Sony. Sounds like it could be a really cool game...especially for a portable

beast786

My game of the show.

I love how they are not diluting. I wish insomniac would have done the same.

Amazing to see SP being the top tier developer.

Top Bottom