• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

It was the lords of the fallen of dark souls posts.

more like the

71X3D8TZB4L._SL1400_.jpg

of dark souls post

damn i quoted that bitch and it's still huge

das a big sodie pop

I thought about the boss rush thing but I didn't think they would do it in that way, I'm glad they did though because it's elegant as fuck. Again though, I don't have any strong negative feelings about any boss but the Robot certainly was the most annoying one when it came to getting the A- because of the parry shit. Otherwise, he was fun when I fought him without having the ranks in mind.

I think the best part about the whole thing is that you can do a marathon run without worrying about skipping any fight if you parry right away. You don't get anything special out of it, but all of those fights are really good.

You should give an expert run a shot sometime. It's actually a load of fun (barring some of the shmup stages) and not as bad as you'd think as far as difficulty is concerned.

That counter argument is like throwing a dead weasel at a unicorn.

hey guys what should win best style

the game where the developers took out second mortgages and used all their microsoft money to hire dozens of big band musicians to make a song about how you can't move on to the next world until you've beaten all the bosses

or the anime game

but get this: the anime is really stylish

Zornack

also last episode of Sunshine should be a F&40s of this

(it's actually fairly entertaining though I wish it elaborated on certain strats more)

That's my problem with most speedrunning history videos. There's too much time spent listing off names and times and not enough going in depth on the development and execution of tricks and skips.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

the game where the developers took out second mortgages and used all their microsoft money to hire dozens of big band musicians to make a song about how you can't move on to the next world until you've beaten all the bosses

or the anime game

I mean I see what you're going for and can kinda agree.

But this argument makes zero sense when it comes to style.

This is exactly what I needed before bed, lmao.
I think the best part about the whole thing is that you can do a marathon run without worrying about skipping any fight if you parry right away. You don't get anything special out of it, but all of those fights are really good.

You should give an expert run a shot sometime. It's actually a load of fun (barring some of the shmup stages) and not as bad as you'd think as far as difficulty is concerned.

I would love to go through expert but I have other games on the plate plus the ones that are about to come this month. However, Cuphead is a game that I will be revisiting many times in the future.

I mean I see what you're going for and can kinda agree.

But this argument makes zero sense when it comes to style.

oh yeah I'm mostly fucking around, but it's not even a competition

This is exactly what I needed before bed, lmao.

I would love to go through expert but I have other games on the plate plus the ones that are about to come this month. However, Cuphead is a game that I will be revisiting many times in the future.

At least attempt Wally Warbles on Expert

someone else needs to feel my pain

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
oh yeah I'm mostly fucking around, but it's not even a competition

At least attempt Wally Warbles on Expert

someone else needs to feel my pain

The way I think about it is that best styyyyyle is always less about how it looks and more about how it conveys a certain tone through stylistic things that are separate from how good it looks, like hotline miami. Which cuphead does really well.

Meanwhile best looking is just the best looking game of the year, which cuphead also is.

I dunno, fucking Galak-Z somehow winning best styyyyyle really throws a spanner in the works for me when it comes to what's considered for that category.

BTA

That's my problem with most speedrunning history videos. There's too much time spent listing off names and times and not enough going in depth on the development and execution of tricks and skips.

To be fair I think this one does explain the relevant skips well. It's just near the end it consistently talks about one runner who always does very risky strats and praises them for that without ever even listing off what they are.

or the anime game

uh wait

which side are you on

I'm calling persona 5 a dead weasel and your post is confusing

Kaizer

Banned
Is it worth checking out Titanfall 2? Starting tomorrow I'll actually be able to start playing multiplayer/online games again and have been considering checking it out on PS4 - not sure if there's still a good amount of people playing though.

If we are giving out free avatars I'd like to remind everyone that this is still available:

uPyJBsE.png

my avatars will grant your posts 99.99% immunity against bans are will also not scar you for life

for the low, low price of $9.99, you can take home a slightly used bandicoot right off the lot, same day as purchase

Is it worth checking out Titanfall 2? Starting tomorrow I'll actually be able to start playing multiplayer/online games again and have been considering checking it out on PS4 - not sure if there's still a good amount of people playing though.

Hell yeah it is boy

I did it

I fucking did it

Its dead, Jim

Campaign is fun

robotrock

Banned
Man I've sunk eight hours into Cuphead and I'm only one boss into World 2.

Game is fantastic but oh my god I suck. I think I'm learning these boss patterns faster now.

WHO DO I TRUST!?! But yeah, I've heard great stuff about the campaign, just not sure it's worth buying just for the campaign & a mostly dead multiplayer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I played a couple of weeks before Destiny 2 released and had 5 minute wait times for the most popular mode. I can't imagine the matchmaking improving post launch.

dcassell

Banned
Man I've sunk eight hours into Cuphead and I'm only one boss into World 2.

Game is fantastic but oh my god I suck. I think I'm learning these boss patterns faster now.

Maybe I've played too many platformers (and I don't mean to brag), but world one took me 55 minutes, and I got that candy corn boss down too. I think I'm sitting at two hours? It's really ramping up. I love the hell out of it. Can't wait to bang my head against more bosses.

I think it's weird that I'm really into the bosses and don't really like the run and gun levels. I thought it would be the opposite.

robotrock

Banned
It's worth it regardless, but what do I know? I think Persona 5 should still win best style.

"b-but the cuphead team remortgaged their houses!!!"

For the record I think Cuphead deserves best style this year, but Persona 5 is no slouch either. I just think the "level of dedication" argument is stupid.

or the anime game

What if the Persona team took out 3 morgages? What then? And they had to take care of a blind orphan too while developing the game. And they let a family of abandoned puppies take shelter under their desks.

robotrock

Banned
Maybe I've played too many platformers (and I don't mean to brag), but world one took me 55 minutes, and I got that candy corn boss down too. I think I'm sitting at two hours? It's really ramping up. I love the hell out of it. Can't wait to bang my head against more bosses.

I think it's weird that I'm really into the bosses and don't really like the run and gun levels. I thought it would be the opposite.
A lot of time when a platformer was too hard, I would just drop it. Really trying to stick with Cuphead though, getting my skills tuned. After this I might try and go back and check out some tough stuff. I bet you, now that I have the patterns down, I could run through World 1 at a much faster rate than I did now.

Also yeah the boss levels are way better than the run and gun stuff. They really don't feel like they add much to the game.

I'm saying that Cuphead team's commitment to its aesthetic and authenticity goes above and beyond, while I struggle to see what makes Persona 5 special beyond a slick UI

oh gotcha

yes

I agree fully, good show!

~~~

So I'm watching the battlefront 2 quick look, and they have complaints about the flight system. And I'm thinking, 'thats right when I played the first battlefront, it was fucking weird.'. Barrel rolls on the left stick with thrust, and control on the right stick? wat? Can't they just copy Ace Combats control scheme which is perfect? Why they gotta make theirs WEIRD.

Cuphead's got great style and absolutely deserves to be in the top three no question, but from my gut, my entirely biased/Persona 5 fanboy gut, Persona 5's style appeals to me more.

But that's me, an ultra-subjective Persona 5 weeb.

Also, but no seriously, Titanfall 2's campaign is worth $20.00 easy.

A slick UI won it for Galak-Z.

An Austin Walker won it for Galak-Z. No one else really cared that much. When the dude loves a game, he goes hard. Remember the Fallout 4 bullshit?

TraBuch

Banned
Puppeteer didn't win because it was just the same dope as fuck Puppet stage-play aesthetic the entire game. Cuphead won't win because it's just the same dope as fuck old cartoon aesthetic the entire game.

Do something different, developers.

Top Bottom