• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread #4: A thread of perceived slights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Got bored: 30 quick looks in March, 22 in April and on top of that the Wednesday show got cancelled.

Something definitely went down in April. If it's the suits, I wonder if they realize how much their BS is damaging the site.

Not really. The Wednesday day show was canned because they wanted to make it a more appropriate format. It was more of a test show. And less quick looks because...well, less games. That's why we've had more mail bags and other random vids.

I'd really love to see some best of this generation type shows later on this year.

I imagine those will happen, maybe each staff member has their own choices then spends a couple of hours on the couch playing them with the rest of the guys.

chogidogs

Got bored: 30 quick looks in March, 22 in April and on top of that the Wednesday show got cancelled.

Something definitely went down in April. If it's the suits, I wonder if they realize how much their BS is damaging the site.

Is no games, PAX, GDC, planning for E3 not enough of a good reason?

Not really. The Wednesday day show was canned because they wanted to make it a more appropriate format. It was more of a test show. And less quick looks because...well, less games. That's why we've had more mail bags and other random vids.

To me mailbags are just random extras, but I suppose they'll do if you want to count them.

The return of BMC and Jurassic Lark were much appreciated though.

chogidogs

these happened in march

My bad, seemed like yesterday. I always get the impression that they're doing something though. That one email I got from Jeff answering my support email made me realize that they have obligations outside making dumb videos.

My bad, seemed like yesterday. I always get the impression that they're doing something though. That one email I got from Jeff answering my support email made me realize that they have obligations outside making dumb videos.

That's actually a good example: what a colossal waste of Jeff's time and talent to make him answer support emails.

Heh...

2476913-screen+shot+2013-04-30+at+3.14.05+pm.png

Is that Dave Lang or Macklemore?

KingKong

You've cracked the case, they're shutting Giant Bomb down on July 1st

paul187

I finished watching the Running of the Lanterns last night. It was so great and that ending.
Drew talking at the end was the best

One thing I noticed while watching. Ryan is a sweet guy, always lending a hand and staying back, never too greedy. Brad on the other hand man, what a jerk. This dude took so many power ups, and played like a maniac most of the time. Reminds me of my brother the selfish bastard. I was so salty at the end too. The among of rage on all sides was awesome.

Think I might try this with my friends, hopefully we'll still be friends by the end of it.

GavinGT

Banned
I finished watching the Running of the Lanterns last night. It was so great and that ending.
Drew talking at the end was the best

One thing I noticed while watching. Ryan is a sweet guy, always lending a hand and staying back, never too greedy. Brad on the other hand man, what a jerk. This dude took so many power ups, and played like a maniac most of the time. Reminds me of my brother the selfish bastard. I was so salty at the end too. The among of rage on all sides was awesome.

Think I might try this with my friends, hopefully we'll still be friends by the end of it.

You didn't see it live.

I kid.

paul187

You didn't see it live.

I kid.

Hahaha. That moment was awesome since I knew what was said. The best part was Ryan saying "yes, because everything said up 'till this point has been perfectly acceptable right?"

I want more of this. The rage on all sides was so good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Brad on the other hand man, what a jerk. This dude took so many power ups, and played like a maniac most of the time. Reminds me of my brother the selfish bastard.

At the beginning of the first lantern run they said that one person should try to get all the power ups because you always need at least one lantern so they offered Brad that role.

I just think you're painting him in a worse light than it actually was.

Jintor

That was actually the original idea, but when I brought it up to other people, they sort of went "Well, how do you do more than one episode of that without it getting boring?"

I couldn't figure out the solution to that, really. In my head I was thinking of the time where my friend played Harvest Moon and had to beat his horse with an axe until it loved him less so he could win different tiered contests with it, which is a funny 30 second anecdote, but those get boring after a while.

I think the last idea I settled on before deciding I needed a better microphone before pursuing any of this was just one big two hour "How video games have made me who I am" (the details sit in a notebook on my desk with the words "Leveling Up" at the top) show with everyone just relaying their stories and I pick the best ten to stick together. If that got traction, I was going to move on from there to figure out other themes.

It seems easier to find the fascinating story of a doctor that murdered his father and his successor trying to clear his name than it is to find a story about gaming of similar interest and weight.

As I see it, This American Life's core strength is that it takes interesting things and makes them easily digestible to people coming to the concepts with no knowledge. That's why I found Picture Show so fascinating - the Israeli 'mapping' story was basically just 'hey this thing exists' and the Israeli military spokesman denying it exists. And the art trade dude was basically more or less the same. But they tell it in this really interesting way; they just break it down into its component parts, explain it all in a non-condenscending way, and that's more or less it. But it's still super interesting.

Anyway, what kind of mic were you looking at?

The content is the exact same for the most part.

Plus they would just complain about Chie's new VO the whole time.

Patrick/Brad ER with occasional Jeff and Vinny interjections for new content

Dragon

Banned
At the beginning of the first lantern run they said that one person should try to get all the power ups because you always need at least one lantern so they offered Brad that role.

I think Brad acts jerky on the podcasts when he ALWAYS wants to reveal spoilers. I'm like dude Tomb Raider has only been out for a few weeks. Will you calm the eff down about the spoilers?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As I see it, This American Life's core strength is that it takes interesting things and makes them easily digestible to people coming to the concepts with no knowledge. That's why I found Picture Show so fascinating - the Israeli 'mapping' story was basically just 'hey this thing exists' and the Israeli military spokesman denying it exists. And the art trade dude was basically more or less the same. But they tell it in this really interesting way; they just break it down into its component parts, explain it all in a non-condenscending way, and that's more or less it. But it's still super interesting.

Anyway, what kind of mic were you looking at?

Patrick/Brad ER with occasional Jeff and Vinny interjections for new content

HHAHAAHAHAHA. I'm sure that'll be just as popular as the Chrono Trigger ER. If it doesn't involve either Jeff or Vinny, don't bother with an ER. Straight up.

paul187

Well, I ain't really calling him a jerk. Just dude horded the shit out of the items. There were so many moments where all four lanterns were going and Ryan or Will would be close to death and Brad would just scoop up everything, then die first lol. Even the guys started commenting on it. Brad is a selfish lover.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Brad acts jerky on the podcasts when he ALWAYS wants to reveal spoilers. I'm like dude Tomb Raider has only been out for a few weeks. Will you calm the eff down about the spoilers?

Brads spoiler policy is really god damned infuriating yeah. If he hasn't played a game he'll call out spoilers on any little bit of info, but as soon as he's completed it he seems to instantly become so laissez faire in regards to any spoilers in the game.

I wouldn't mind if the just cut in something like "Hey, were going to talk about this game with spoilers, to avoid just jump to the 'x' time." Because otherwise your choice is either fast forward through the part while listening to a couple seconds of every minute until it seems like they're done talking about it, or just skip the podcast for the week which really blows.

Well, I ain't really calling him a jerk. Just dude horded the shit out of the items. There were so many moments where all four lanterns were going and Ryan or Will would be close to death and Brad would just scoop up everything, then die first lol. Even the guys started commenting on it. Brad is a selfish lover.

Brad just seems really competitive in a lot of games. If it's a competing game he wants to win - understandably - and if it's a co-op game he wants to be the best, which is a little less admirable.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I'm holding out hope for another lantern run. Though after how the last one ended I doubt it ever happens.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
In that new jar time when Jeff says "blah blah losing his site blah blah" I was like "OH SHIT DAVE WENT BLIND?!?" Then I released he was talking about the website.

Bring back encyclopedia bombastica.

HHAHAAHAHAHA. I'm sure that'll be just as popular as the Chrono Trigger ER. If it doesn't involve either Jeff or Vinny, don't bother with an ER. Straight up.
Eh, I'm going through the Deadly Premonition endurance runs at the moment, and really enjoying the Brad/Ryan one. Ryan surprising me by picking up on little details, Brad's mood constantly going from going from utter misery to fully stoked and back. Not that the V/J one isn't fun, but it seems a lot more predictable - "lets listen to Vinny and Jeff make snide comments about the game again".

Tucah

you speak so well
Patrick's Jar Time (uhhh Mug Time) video is up. Starting off good, talking about his long history with Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom