• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/12/15

Jintor

I'm actually struggling to think of an example where I cared a lot about branching narrative choice in games (at least in the 'one big change' style of thing). For one thing, developers tend to put it at the very end of the game where making a choice doesn't actually result in any in-game change, but just changes the narrative coda a little. For another thing, by the time I've slogged there, I often care very little about what happens to the world afterwards - I'm not going to experience it, after all, so who gives a shit? See Human Revolution for instance, though of course they were somewhat hamstrung by being a prequel.

One alternative is making the player constantly choose options and then have a sum-up at the end of the game; the Fallout method. Mass Effect tried but the devs went nuts or something and instead of cumulative decision-making over the course of three games, well, we all know how that turned out. That's an alright way, though somewhat flat.

In terms of 'narrative' choice I've gotten a lot more into emergent systems-based choices with narrative flavouring a la Dwarf Fortress and other more systems-heavy games. But that's not really narrative in the same sense.

It's probably just unfeasible without a truly ridiculous amount of resources. Of course, that doesn't mean we should write it off as a failed experiment.

Myggen

I hate hate HATE David Cage games, but I think Heavy Rain had a pretty good "branching paths"/choice mechanic. The game was obviously terrible, but people's playthroughs of that game could be so different.

Jintor

Matthew Rorie's Alpha Protocol remains probably the gold standard in storyline branching. Pity the game was dodgy.

jambo

I'm just getting to the e-mail section of this week's podcast (been a busy week) and I'm pretty sure I heard Brad mention hole 1496 is the algorithmatically impossible hole.

JDHBUqz.jpg

Yeah it was definitely 1496 I heard. Because that's where I am and 74 shots later I am right where I started. Basically soft locked. Impossible. Formalized perfect ismorophic inductive proof.

Sorry to break it to you but...

This is why I hope GB never goes out of business - Jeff would be offered a consulting position too good to pass up and he might leave full-time editorial.

In the moment you can take or leave his opinions (personally, his tastes line up pretty well with mine) but his long term observations are eerie.

Jeff's talked at times about writing a book about the video game media biz once he's out fully. I will kickstart the shit out of that thing.

And yeah, don't bet against Jeff's takes on the industry. It's often partial, and he doesn't like to admit these unless pressed (either out of humility or fear it's wrong), but it's right far more often than wrong and when he's talking current events, it's virtually a lock.

he doesn't even have time for Bloodborne. I was listening to him on Danswers and yes, his family is top priority now so he's not playing a lot of games now. I hope he has time for more games in the near future. seems like he can only play adventure games these days.

Once his kids reach 5 it's multiplayer and vicarious time for V-Dogg, hopefully.

Couldn't help but chuckle that Jason was finding it difficult to identify with a kid raised in the U.S. Who had parents from a fake Indian based country but connected with the mighty whitey dudebro named Jason from the last game

Sort of reminds me of the cast not understanding why the Ajay pronounciation was different with different characters

Ubisoft really did make a game for me, I need to pick up Far cry 4

Top Bottom