• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/06/15

I remember watching these when they came out and thinking that THPS3 getting a 10 was crazy. THPS4 was my personal favorite but it was also the game that slowly evolved into the THUG games with the dumb jackass-like missions.

This has been the "old bad memories brought up that I'd rather not hear of again" podcast: dullards making like certain games are non-games, Sweet Billy's fuckery, and that idiocy over Skullgirls characters.

Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story: both start with V, both are must-play classics.

Too bad they would never play Zero Escape. Any chance we had of that went out the door with Patrick lol.

Right before ZE3 comes out:

Jason takes Dan on a journey into the works of Uchikoshi and MINDBLOWINGEDNESS.

I think the notion of Activsion messing with the development of Tony Hawk cause they were obligated to make one but essentially salting the earth with its quality is an (goddammit Austin now I don't want to use interesting) interesting narrative.

That would be fucking CRAZY if it turned out to be true.

LiK

I'm so happy Jeff is on this week. Was worried during his Destiny stream cuz he wasn't feeling well.

I like Destiny. I play Destiny. I've spent $130 on Destiny. Up to now, the Destiny talk hasn't bothered me and I even used to enjoy it.

But I'm over it and I hope they never talk about it again. It killed me how Brad began the weekly Destiny discussion with "I know we're all sick of talking about Destiny, even me." And then they just went on about it for 20 minutes! Brad's "We have to stop talking about Destiny" and then continuing to talk about it has lost its charm. This isn't funny anymore, or interesting. No other game gets this kind of time devoted to it and the conversation is almost always the same. I've lost count of how many times Jeff has said that "Destiny could be so much better but it still needs more content." How many different ways can they keep saying the same things?

This is the first time I've been actively annoyed at this podcast and I've been listening to it for seven years.

KingKong

Brad 'I started a new Destiny character over the weekend' Shoemaker: Iwas going to check out <game> but I didn't have the time

Dimmle

Wish more than one person would check out Undertale on either of the GB casts. It's nice that both Austin and Dan enjoyed it but I'd like to hear something more than "yeah, it was really cool, now about wrestling." The closest thing to the Undertale spoilercast we'll never have is just two informed people who have played Undertale discussing Undertale and I haven't heard that anywhere yet.

RE_Player

I so called it. After seeing the raid I knew Dan would be turned off by it. Now I just need confirmation that Drew has not hit anywhere near the level cap and will not ever and my prediction for Destiny on the staff will be true.

DrArchon

I saw everyone here complaining about them talking about Destiny more so I was pretty worried. When they started talking about the raid I was like "Oh, they're just talking about the raid! That's fine." But then no, go into other Destiny stuff for another 10 min. Fantastic. Wouldn't mind like a 5 min hard limit on Destiny talk for podcasts.

Matt

I think the notion of Activsion messing with the development of Tony Hawk cause they were obligated to make one but essentially salting the earth with its quality is an (goddammit Austin now I don't want to use interesting) interesting narrative.

That would be fucking CRAZY if it turned out to be true.
It's not.

Myggen

There's going to be a Giantbomb-GAF meltdown when Destiny finds its way onto GB's GOTY list again this year.

I know from last year not to bet against Brad, but there's a long precedent at GB of not including DLC/expansion packs of games in the top 10 deliberation.

I know from last year not to bet against Brad, but there's a long precedent at GB of not including DLC/expansion packs of games in the top 10 deliberation.

Very true, though I can see Brad convincing Jeff (and by proxy the rest of the crew) that there's enough content there to be considered a standalone game, especially considering how much they've overhauled the leveling system since last year.

Its a game that seems perfect for the "Best 2014 game of 2015" award but Brad is gonna Brad it into the top 10 somehow.

hamchan

Brad will sneak Destiny TTK at the end of the big list on day 5. When someone points it out he'll deflect and somehow turn their attention to the rest of the list. Then they'll slowly knock out each game one by one, using up their energy on those, while Brad has the most time to think of arguments for Destiny.

If you'll watch them play Ultimate Chicken Horse on UPF, you'll see Brad use the same tactic of letting everyone else go first while he goes last.

Liamc723

When are people going to understand that PS+ games are NOT free? We are paying for them.

Dan's view of PS+ was horrendous. I pay for multiplayer and the free games are just a bonus. Really? Ugh. Those games are not a bonus, you are paying for them.

killroy87

When are people going to understand that PS+ games are NOT free? We are paying for them.

Dan's view of PS+ was horrendous. I pay for multiplayer and the free games are just a bonus. Really? Ugh. Those games are not a bonus, you are paying for them.

Does the distinction really matter?

Coming off a generation of paying $50 a year for Xbox Live only for the privilege to play online, it's not exactly heresy to be stoked on getting all this content for "free"

Amazing OP!

Dan is more of a Santa, though...

It's more or less a perfect game in my book, so for me the 10 is deserved. Few other games nail what it's trying to do in the way THPS3 does.
Yeah, it's been a good dozen years or so since I played it, but I can't remember much about that game that I didn't really like. I think it's as good as it ever got, so I'm perfectly okay with it getting a 10.

EDIT: Also, yay Jason!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man. I just don't understand how a game like Destiny gets talked about as much as it does, not just here but anywhere. I know its part of the model because of its constant content, but it just feels like a weird obsessive thing. At least Brad lets on that he knows it's ridiculous. But it sometimes feels like if a culinary podcast were to devote a section repeatedly to those Hostess pink snowball cakes or something.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does the distinction really matter?

Coming off a generation of paying $50 a year for Xbox Live only for the privilege to play online, it's not exactly heresy to be stoked on getting all this content for "free"

The fact that you got ripped off by having to pay for online play doesn't make the fact that you're actually getting something for your money now the same thing as "free."

It's like saying "oh cool now that I have Netflix, I can go watch episodes of Person of Interest for free!"

Alfredo

Wish more than one person would check out Undertale on either of the GB casts. It's nice that both Austin and Dan enjoyed it but I'd like to hear something more than "yeah, it was really cool, now about wrestling." The closest thing to the Undertale spoilercast we'll never have is just two informed people who have played Undertale discussing Undertale and I haven't heard that anywhere yet.

If no one else plays Undertale, I want another "Silent Hill Shattered Memories" moment where they just tell the other guys the ending and they're like, "welp, okay, that wins."

It'll be a crime if Undertale doesn't at least get some nominations in "Best Moment," assuming that's still a category.

pizzacat

Banned

"MGSV ended with chapter 1, chapter 2 was just a bonus"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bet they don't even really think of paying for PS+ anyway, since even if they're not getting free codes from Boyes or CBS or whatever, they probably get to deduct that as a business expense on their taxes.

Zornack

If you have the outlook that multiplayer on consoles costs ~$50 a year, which many, many people do, then they are a free bonus.

Myggen

I bet they don't even really think of paying for PS+ anyway, since even if they're not getting free codes from Boyes or CBS or whatever, they probably get to deduct that as a business expense on their taxes.

Vinny has talked about how he generally don't deduct games that he would've bought anyway, he only deducts games he buys just to show off as a QL. I'm not sure what policy they have for PS+, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something similar: Since it's something they would've paid for regardless of work they don't deduct it. No way to know for sure.

I consider the PS+ games "free", but that's probably because I'm so used to be paying for Xbox Live.

When are people going to stop getting bent out of shape over semantics?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you have the outlook that multiplayer on consoles costs ~$50 a year, which many, many people do, then they are a free bonus.
But if you signed up for PS+ during the PS3 era, you were doing it for the games and for the discounts. The quality of the games have clearly dropped since the launch of the PS4 - on all three platforms covered by PS+.

Vinny has talked about how he generally don't deduct games that he would've bought anyway, he only deducts games he buys just to show off as a QL. I'm not sure what policy they have for PS+, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something similar: Since it's something they would've paid for regardless of work they don't deduct it. No way to know for sure.

I consider the PS+ games "free", but that's probably because I'm so used to paying for Xbox Live.
Online multiplayer seems to be something that they must have either way I suppose.

Liamc723

"MGSV ended with chapter 1, chapter 2 was just a bonus"

One of the worst things he's ever said.

There's literally no way of spinning it. I don't care what you are using the service for, you are paying for access to those games regardless of if you play them or not.

But if you signed up for PS+ during the PS3 era, you were doing it for the games and for the discounts. The quality of the games have clearly dropped since the launch of the PS4 - on all three platforms covered by PS+.

I think the point isn't anything todo with the PS3 days, it's that people view paying $50 to play online MP a sunk cost, many of these people coming from years of being used to this on Xbox live and now moving to ps4, so to these people the games are indeed a "bonus" or free or whatever word you want to use in that they'd be paying the $50 (or whatever the cost) anyway to play online as they view this as essential.

Bacon

One of the worst things he's ever said.

There's literally no way of spinning it. I don't care what you are using the service for, you are paying for access to those games regardless of if you play them or not.

That's fine but people's perceptions of things are different. If Dan sees the games as a bonus so what?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the point isn't anything todo with the PS3 days, it's that people view paying $50 to play online MP a sunk cost, many of these people coming from years of being used to this on Xbox live and now moving to ps4, so to these people the games are indeed a "bonus" or free or whatever word you want to use in that they'd be paying the $50 (or whatever the cost) anyway to play online as they view this as essential.
Sure, but if they're allowed to feel as if the games are bonuses, then people who were PS+ users back when they gave away Uncharted 2 have a right to feel as if the quality of the games they pay for - as part of their PS+ subscription - have dramatically decreased.

Heck, I know there's an old Bombcast where they talked about how PS+ improved because of all the good games they were offering. So there was a time when Jeff and Ryan were talking about PS+ as a monthly rental service or however you want to think about it.

Top Bottom