• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gift that keeps on giving - Nvidia settles class-action lawsuit on GTX970 controversy

mabec

Instructions on how to file a claim for the Nvidia class action settlement were not immediately available. Keep checking TopClassActions.com or sign up for our free newsletter for the latest updates. You can also “Follow” this case using your free Top Class Actions account to receive notifications when this article is updated.

The consumers are represented by Alan M. Mansfield of Whatley Kallas LLP and L. Timothy Fisher and Neal J. Deckant of Bursor & Fisher LLP.

The Nvidia Graphics Card False Advertising Class Action Lawsuit is In re: Nvidia GTX 970 Graphics Chip Litigation, Case No. 4:15-cv-00760, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...graphics-card-false-advertising-class-action/

dcassell

Banned
Definitely keeping my eye on this. Bought a 970 at launch and have the proof of purchase on my account. 970's bought through third-party makers (such as EVGA) rather than reference Nvidia models do count, right?

Definitely keeping my eye on this. Bought a 970 at launch and have the proof of purchase on my account. 970's bought through third-party makers (such as EVGA) rather than reference Nvidia models do count, right?

Yeah, I see no reason why they wouldn't unless one of them marketed it differently or something.

Yeah, I would be fine with something like this.

- check PC if there's a 970 in it
- generate Key if 970 was found in PC

What if somebody bought it and replaced it with something newer/more powerful down the road? they still paid for it and should be compensated as well.

LQX

Didn't we have a few people here trying to explain this away as nothing? And I definitely saw many defending this shit on other tech boards. And I remember reading awhile back that both AMD and NVida has plants on message-boards and the fallout and defense of this made me believe it 100%.

Schlorgan

I bought mine a few months ago and almost immediately regretted it once the RX 480 was announced and the 8GB 480 was $100 less than I paid for my 970 but I'll take the $30.

mephixto

Banned
Asked Amazon for a refund when I bought my 2 970. Irc it was about 30% not gonna ask for more. I hope the people that didn't got anything can ask for those $30.

I'm still satisfied with the performance of the 970. I don't remember any problems related to the slower part of the VRAM.

cyress8

Banned
Nice, bought a 970 just because of the free games it came with: Witcher 3, Batman: AK, and MGS V. Might need to hang on to it even though I have a 1080. Bringing nothing but good luck. :D

Dartastic

Nice, bought a 970 just because of the free games it came with: Witcher 3, Batman: AK, and MGS V. Might need to hang on to it even though I have a 1080. Bringing nothing but good luck. :D
Hahaha, yuuuuuuuuup. I even got 3 copies of MGSV because the dude at Newegg mistakenly sent me three keys. With this, I basically got the card for free. o.0

I shall stay attuned to these developments.
I technically didn't buy a 970 as the seller sent me one to replace my busted 780. But if I could also get paid for the free upgrade then that'd be great.

Well, I guess that could be an additional $30 off my next GPU purchase if I qualify. I'm sure NVIDIA will have still seen profit on the cards.

Vuze

Oh, that would be kinda cool if it translates to 20€ish or whatever if it will be available outside the US anyway.
Subbed to the thread, please keep it updated :)

jediyoshi

They'll just keep the prices of the 1070 high to offset the expense.

If it makes you feel any better, they don't need to dictate anything. The higher than MSRP prices are a result of the vendors and redistributors keeping it that way because of high demand.

Intru

Bought mine from a retail store a couple days after release. There's no way I still have that receipt lol.

Yes! I already sold my card but I still have proof of purchase and I'll be using that $30 towards a Radeon 470. Ha ha Ha ha ha!

derExperte

Good. Of course as a German I won't see any money and Nv won't care much but it's good to see that something came out of this.

Got some money back on the batman fiasco. Now it's time to cash in on this! I really should rebuy batman on the PS4.

Nah, PC version is now best version.

At least that's something. Probably couldn't expect more. The amount of fudging they did around this, only to later say, "Oh, we were totally up-front, and it's basically the same thing anyway" was bullshit.

If I get this free money, that means I'll have gotten Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Division, and $30 from my GTX 970 purchase.

And I've yet to play a single game that required more than 3.5 GB of VRAM for me to enjoy it.

Thanks Nvidia!

Brhoom

Banned
Not sure if thread worthy or not.

Why can't a judge order a 6 month ban the selling of nvidia cards?

Imagine if a judge order the stopping of steam store for 6 months for the csgo lotto controvesy, would any one dare to do the same thing again?

After six month of no money for nvidia, do you think they will even just think about doing the same shit ever again?

The money they will give to us is nothing to them.

I always think of it this way, I steal 1 million from all of you then give back 10'000 back to all of you, did I learn to not do it ever again?

Top Bottom