• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl just reached Neptune in Noby Noby Boy

Easy_G

I almost forgot about this game, yet it was one of my favorites. I will definitely help out with the length this weekend. I love the soundtrack, love the help menu, and I really love the way boy collapses out of the house during the start. The game is literally just a toy, nothing more, and it's so good for that reason.

Does anyone have a good strategy for actually getting length? I tend to fly each end in opposite directions and make a wave that seems to stretch him.

Roto13

They must still do those days where all reported length is worth like 10000x because there's no way this would happen otherwise.

BlackJet

Pretty sure that's Saturn...
sega+saturn+logo.jpg

GodofWine

It's my 5 year old son's favourite game.

I'm sure he's not making a significant contribution to Girl's length or anything, but it's a bright and colourful game with no explicit rules, objectives or fail-states - just an absurd sandbox that's perfect for kids to go nuts in. He'll often cry with laughter watching Boy slingshot around the level, with an alien on a bike and a watermelon his back. The game is fucking nuts, and appeals to his sense of humour.

Who knows, maybe there's a secret army of 5 year olds keeping this game going.

You may be right, until my ps3 died it was my almost 5yr old daughters favorite game.

"DADDY I ATE A DOG AND POOPED IT INTO SPACE!" Ahhh...fatherhood

test_account

XP-39C²
Nice! :) It would be really cool if there was something special at Pluto. Would be boring if it would just be another planet and a message saying something like "congratulations for reaching all planets!".

That means people are still playing Noby Noby Boy... I don't know what to think about that.
This boggles my mind as well.
I'm pretty sure that the number one player/stretcher in the game is a bot (in the leaderboard, its called MK124515135 (or something like that), in that case, it would speed things up a bit. But with that said, yeah, people are still playing it :) I tried it again some months ago, and i think that yesterday results at that time showed like 150 players or something.

They must still do those days where all reported length is worth like 10000x because there's no way this would happen otherwise.

That still happens, but it's x2013 and it's always awarded randomly, which is frustrating. Sometime I submit a 5-figure length and get nothing, then submit 50m and get the bonus multiplier.

It's not so much a game, more an interactive toy. With an awful camera.

You control the titular Boy with dual sticks. Left stick moves one end of him, the right stick the other. He stretch out between each end. You can use this to loop around things and do other stuff. You play on a randomly generated box like level.

Outside of seeing how long you can make him, there's no score, no points, no goals. Just fannying about.

Each time you play, the max length you got the Boy is added to the world wide total. The total length of which has now got to Neptune.

Feel free to correct me if I've got anything wrong, as all this is from my hazy memory of it. I bought it when it first came out on PS3, played it a couple of times, WTF'd hard at the screen each time, then never touched it again.

Some of the camera controls also use Sixaxis motion controls.

Tap L1 - moves camera 30 degrees to the left
Tap R1 - moves camera 30 degrees to the right
Hold L1, turn controller towards yourself - zoom out
Hold L1, turn controller away from yourself - zoom in
Hold R1, press any direction on D-pad - points to the camera to whatever direction you press while staying in the same spot
Hold L1 and R1, turn controller towards yourself - moves camera downward in a circular direction
Hold L1 and R1, turn controller away from yourself - moves camera upward in a circular direction
Hold L1 and left on D-Pad - move camera to Boy's face
Hold L1 and right on D-Pad - move camera to Boy's rear

It makes more sense the more you use it.

Garraboa

Try as I did, I never managed to eat my own ass.

I still remembered when I forced my friends to play the game.Good times.

apricot

Gosh darnit I love Noby Noby Boy. Loaded it up for the first time on my birthday a couple of months ago and everyone at the party took turns playing. So many laughs!

Cipher

I was just listening to a This Year of the 2009 Bombcasts, hearing them talk about reaching the Moon and Mars. I had been wondering how far people got in that game. Pretty cool they've made it that far and people still play it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This game, while colorful and whimsical, fills me with melancholy. I can almost feel Takahashi's cynicism and frustration.

Mista Koo

Love this game, usually play it while waiting for a game to download from PSN.

Didn't Takahashi have a game being released part of a kickstarter project?
Yes, A͈L͈P͈H͈A͈B͈E͈T͈:

hQQmMQU.gif

Use the keyboard to control the characters.

I'd have to admit....I booted this game up less than 5 times....and each time, I have no idea wtf I am doing. or how to play this game.

Krammy

I hop on this every now and again, usually to show it off to friends, as I'm sure many other people do. With that said, it's wild to see it still making actual progress. I wonder how long it will take to get to Pluto though.

yamo

Some previous arrival dates thanks to good old wikipedia

The moon was reached on February 23, 2009, just four days after release.
Mars was reached on May 23, 2009,[8]
Jupiter was reached on November 20, 2009.[9]
As of January 19, 2011 GIRL has reached Saturn.[10]
In the week of December 25 to December 31, 2011, Uranus was reached.[11]

My first thought when reading the OT was; I don't think Girl had even reached the moon last time I played this game.

Checked my trophies and the last one I achieved was on February 21, 2009. Good times.

Coconut

Banned
You know I'd turn the game on and contribute but it's not fun to play, so I'll just watch you guys instead.

Top Bottom