• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl Scouts face uproar over Trump parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

“Being a leader means having a seat at the leadership table no matter what,” the Girl Scouts wrote in a blog post. “It means being willing to work with whomever happens to hold political power. It means preparing girls not to run from the face of adversity, but to stand tall and proud and announce to the world, and the powers that be, that they are a force to be reckoned with… To do otherwise is to tell girls to sit down and be quiet—and that they don’t count.”

Not marching in a parade doesn't mean they have their right to engage with the government taken away. In fact not marching in the parade is a strong decision and a sign of leadership. This is a stupid statement.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
sucks, but he's our president. If we kick and scream about it we'd be no better than the republicans that whined the whole time obama was in office.

Snaku

Banned
Well, I mean, Trump will be commenting to Pence how it's crazy he'll be grabbing them by the pussies in a few years as they march by.

RPGCrazied

Yeah. Really is gross making those little girls go. Specially after Trump's lewd comments about sexual assault, and telling little 10 year olds he'd be dating them in 8 years.

Apharmd

For real. This is not the action of a responsible adult, forcing children to respect the authority of someone who does not deserve respect or authority.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
sucks, but he's our president. If we kick and scream about it we'd be no better than the republicans that whined the whole time obama was in office.

This kind of thinking and misleading false equivalency is why democrats and liberals lose. They think they're playing nice and going high, while the other guys snort and hit below the belt.

The idiots demonstrating against Obama were freaking out because he was black. It was white insecurity, white supremacy, and religious fundamentalism because they believed that he wasn't a christian.

Trump and the GOP are being protested to not legitimize and normalize actual fascism and white supremacy. A man who is very literally unfit to be president in so many ways it is unreal. They are preparing to dismantle the government and roll back decades of progress. They are laughing and patting each other on the back at the confirmation hearings while they do so.

If you salute Trump, go march in his parade, play a song for him, and pretend everything is normal and this is just politics as usual, honestly, you're part of the problem.

... comprehend that that's an attack on Trump?

Looking at it again, I think I may've misunderstood it but I know I've seen that quote ("Trump's not responsible for what he says") be used to defend him in the past, so I'm a little confused.

I'll just use my wallet, like I usually do.

I'm not going to badmouth the girl scouts, or get mad at them. But I will express disappointment about their decision, and not buy cookies. Their doe eyed pleas will not get to me.

It isn't the fault of the girls in the organization, it isn't like they hold a council to decide their actions. It's the adults. Besides, the upper echelon of people who get tax cuts can use that extra money to buy more girl scout cookies to make up for schmucks like me.

Loxley

And there's two different types.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/dining/smores-girl-scout-cookies.html?_r=0

18COOKIES1-master768.jpg

Fuck.

jVu10pm.gif

Ri'Orius

I remember there was a line in a Goosebumps book about it being important to be able to follow orders and also know when not to follow orders. Similarly, I think it's important to follow traditions when appropriate and break when not.

Especially for Girl Scouts, there are a lot of "traditions" that are objectively harmful to women that they need to be prepared to stand up against.

Also, just for funsies:

“It means being willing to work with whomever happens to hold political power.

This is one of those tricky cases where it's actually "whoever." It's based on how the word is used in the dependent clause, and in this case the "who[m]ever" is the subject of that clause.

So you'd give flowers to whomever you like the most, and you'd give flowers to whoever likes you the most.

jorma

is now taking requests
Funny how the script has flipped. 8 years of not respecting the office when it was held by a man that was respectable. Now we have one of the worse examples of humanity in the seat and everyone has to fall in line

http://blog.girlscouts.org/2017/01/inauguration-day-reflecting-on-girl.html
On Friday, January 20, approximately 75 Girl Scouts from the Nation’s Capital council will voluntarily march in the 2017 Presidential Inaugural Parade, as the council has done over the past 100 years.

Linkura

I think this provides some important context.

That said, they could always drop out, but there are valid reasons going both ways here, really. I'm pretty sure that, by a large margin, most of the leaders of the Girl Scouts find Trump repugnant, but is putting the Girl Scouts into the sidelines really the best option here?

It doesn't. They should have dropped out.

It is the best option.

Krakn3Dfx

Trump will take all of your 9 year old daughter's thin mints, not pay her, call her weak, tell her to look him up in 9-10 years, and then tell her to gtfo.

Then when she reports it, he'll say it's fake.

Then he'll sell all of those cookies for 75 cents on the dollar back to the Girl Scouts of America.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I didn't know girl scout cookies were real, just always assumed they were an overused plot point in sitcoms.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Girl Scouts really are overall a relatively progressive group, especially when compared to the Boy Scouts. E.g.:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-from-mars-girl-scouts-are-from-venus/253957/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/boy-scouts-vs-girl-scouts-a-battle-of-values/
(and plenty more)

So yeah it kind of sucks that they got cornered like this, because while trying to be at least as progressive as any post-suffrage reasonable person would be, they do also as a national group without political affiliation have to fend off attacks from conservative dumbfucks. Like this whole page, which explains in painstaking detail to the sexist, regressive rubes who spend their days dreaming up conspiracy theories, and who I guess the Girls Scouts don't want to piss off about how Girl Scouts does NOT fund Planned Parenthood: http://www.girlscouts.org/en/faq/faq/social-issues.html

So I get being upset at the org, but I would venture that this isn't the scenario they envisioned or something they're super happy about fwiw. It's this question that a lot of respectable groups, companies, etc. are going to have to face about how much to pander to these increasingly dumb and loud people, many now holding powerful positions in government.

I didn't know girl scout cookies were real, just always assumed they were an overused plot point in sitcoms.

They're legit a thing. They will come for you and your money. They will wait for you outside of the grocery store to plead for you to buy their cookies when all you wanted to do was pick up a six pack of ramen. They will come around to your place of business while you're a captive audience. They will consume your soul, and they will smile all the while.

...okay that's a little dramatic. But legit, they knock on doors, camp out at grocery stores, and their parents bring them to work (or sometimes just the cookie order slips) to bug you to buy their cookies. I'm not heartless, but if there is one thing I cannot stand it is solicitation, especially when my anger at it cannot be properly directed at a charming child who is just trying to sell some cookies so she can go on a field trip or something.

Them doing it at work is the worst. Because you're trapped. I come to work to make money, not spend it. Shoo kid.

Girl Scout Cookie sales are serious business.

I will fight people for a box of Tagalongs.

Meanwhile, others have rushed to defend the organization, arguing that it’s important for Girl Scouts to respect authority, serve the country, and honor tradition

"You little girls will parade for a sexual predator and you will like."

majik13

I understand the sentiment too. I wouldn't want my daughter to march for such a fuckwit either.

While there is truth in this, it absolutely does not apply in this context. Marching for an inauguration does not put you in a seat of power, or make you part of any relevant conversation. Marching at Trump's inauguration means that you are willingly embracing a role that celebrates and glorifies a shitty, lying, racist, sexually harassing scumbag.

yeah reading that quote from girl scouts, made me think that they would be standing up against marching for him. But some how that is their reasoning for actually marching and supporting him. Its like all backwards. Basically doublespeak

zelas

Meanwhile, others have rushed to defend the organization, arguing that it’s important for Girl Scouts to respect authority, serve the country, and honor tradition, even if many fiercely oppose the man taking office.
Someday I hope to be able to easily turn a blind eye to racism, hatred, and policies that affect whether or not someone lives to see tomorrow.

Someday when I've finished saving up for my skin lightening surgery I too will be able to say "it's just politics."

Ponn

Banned
Teaching them one of the great American lessons of grabbing them by the cookies is a-ok and to just deal with it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
“Being a leader means having a seat at the leadership table no matter what,” the Girl Scouts wrote in a blog post. “It means being willing to work with whomever happens to hold political power. It means preparing girls not to run from the face of adversity, but to stand tall and proud and announce to the world, and the powers that be, that they are a force to be reckoned with… To do otherwise is to tell girls to sit down and be quiet—and that they don’t count.”
Then be a leader and tell the sexual predator about to enter the White House to go fuck himself.

Shaanyboi

Banned

The people throwing tantrums about Obama were pissed that he was black. People are pissed at Trump because he's a racist, he's been accused of and admitted to sexual assault, he's a total narcissist, he's filled his cabinet with wildly uneducated assholes, he's a fucking liar, he's a puppet, and he's a fucking shit business-man.

Oh, but both sides, right...

Yep we all may as well roll over and accept every horrible racist, sexist, degrading and idiotic thing he says. Let's take peaceful protests, a cornerstone of our democracy, off the table because Obama too™.

yeah reading that quote from girl scouts, made me think that they would be standing up against marching for him. But some how that is their reasoning for actually marching and supporting him. Its like all backwards. Basically doublespeak

Yeah, wouldn't it make sense for the GIRL Scouts to march for the WOMEN's March on Washington instead? That seems to be something that they could get behind.

Or maybe just keep them out of politics in general and just focus on teaching good values or some other such nonsense. It's gonna be many many years before these kids can vote, and I'm sure none of them properly understand the situation they're being put into.

Zophar

Expect this sort of thing to happen with increasing frequency as the culture war transitions to being between people who prioritize the values and ethics of the nation and people who prioritize a cult of tradition.

eagledare

This thread needs more Samoas love.

Seems like it would be much more appropriate for the Girl Scouts to participate in the Women's March than in the march of a man that's been accused of spousal abuse and sexual assault, but hey we live in bizzarro land now so what the fuck do I know.

Lesath

As evident from this very thread, the actions of a few "volunteers" will affect the perception of the rest, from without and from within. You can't compromise here: either you march in celebration of a man who is known for his words and actions against women, or you don't.

Yeah, wouldn't it make sense for the GIRL Scouts to march for the WOMEN's March on Washington instead? That seems to be something that they could get behind.

You know, that's a good point. If they want to play both sides, they should obviously have a formal presence in such things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom