• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GKids releasing previously Japan exclusive Ghibli film 'Only Yesterday' in the US '16

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Only Yesterday’ English Remake With ‘Star Wars’ Actor Daisy Ridley Nabbed by GKids

GKids has acquired North American rights from Studio Ghibli for Isao Takahata’s “Only Yesterday.”

1qhXHA3.jpg

The English-language remake is voiced by Daisy Ridley (“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”), Dev Patel, Ashley Eckstein (“Star Wars Rebels”) and Alison Fernandez (“Orange is the New Black”). The movie will be released early next year to coincide with the film’s 25th anniversary.

“With this 25th anniversary release, a broad new audience will now be able to discover what passionate supporters have known for years,” said David Jesteadt of GKids. “‘Only Yesterday’ is a groundbreaking classic and further demonstration of Isao Takahata’s incredible legacy as a filmmaker.”

MEGATON!!!!!!!!

Seen this back when the ifc theater was doing their ghibli showings, was pretty good. Hopefully they can get the rights to ocean waves as well.

Blader

Wow, and a dub too?

I didn't really like the film that much tbh but this is a good excuse to give it another try.

Clov

Here's some news to brighten up my day! Brilliant film, hopefully there will be a screening near me. I'd love to see it on the big screen! Seeing as GKids is handling this, a Blu-Ray release will likely follow. Very exciting news!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I already have it on region 2 dvd from the UK so it's not that exclusive.

Yeah, it was released in germany 9 years ago, it was not Japan exclusive.

It's one of two Ghibli films to never get a non-Japanese dub.

Also, "GKids releasing previously Japan, Australia, Germany, UK exclusive Ghibli film 'Only Yesterday' in the US in 2016" didn't fit in the thread title.

Awesome news! Heard about it, never seen it. Only bummer it's that it won't be on that upcoming Miyazaki set, or is this not Miyazaki, just Ghibli?

EDIT: Never mind, re-read the OP.

/XX/

Given the Hungarian connection done by way of the music in the film it is only natural that their local distributors wanted to appropriate of this and do a 'Magiar' dub too... and they did! First international release with a local dub was the German one, though.

There are also recent dubs of licensed releases in Spanish language (of Castilian and Mexican varieties), as far as I know.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It has German dub. Does that not count?

that's not true either as there is definately a german dub.

Given the Hungarian connection done by way of the music in the film it is only natural that their local distributors wanted to appropriate of this and do a 'Magiar' dub too... and they did! First international release with a local dub was the German one, though.

There are also recent dubs of licensed releases in Spanish language (of Castilian and Mexican varieties), as far as I know.

Oh yeah? I didn't know that! XD The wiki articles on those movies aren't very comprehensive it seems...

EDIT: Further reading reveals that Only Yesterday - and Ocean Waves(!) - each have a total of 4 dubs: Japanese, Korean, German, and Spanish. Not that those latter 3 count/englishspeakingpartoftheworldcentric

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So with this it's just Ocean Waves and My Neighbors the Yamadas that will not be available on US Blu-Ray :)

Maybe Disney will try to capitalize on the Takahata fever that will surely sweep the nation early next year by finally releasing My Neighbors the Yamadas on bluray!

Also, "GKids releasing previously Japan, Australia, Germany, UK exclusive Ghibli film 'Only Yesterday' in the US in 2016" didn't fit in the thread title.

Dubs aren't that great. Watch the subbed version, you lazy bunch of non reading heathens.

mcw

Last year, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco showed a bunch of Ghibli movies throughout the month of May. I went to almost all of them.

"The Cat Returns" was a big hit. People brought their kids, the kids loved it, the parents loved it.

"Porco Rosso" was a big hit. Kids were surprisingly enthralled and I heard a bunch of people afterward talking about how much fun it was.

Then we got to "Only Yesterday". I own the Japanese Blu-ray, so I've seen it before, but never with a crowd. I came in late, so I ended up sitting between two groups of kids, all young boys. They were confused, then bored, then people started walking out.

Deft Beck

I saw this and Ocean Waves at a repertory theater and I don't remember anything that happened, aside from a lot of farming.

jph139

Oh shit, can't wait. GKids has been handling Ghibli films magnificently and I've been waiting to see this one for a long time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Can a mod change the thread title so people won't keep harping on the "Japan exclusive" error?

And it's been shown on Film4 like a dozen times as well. Ocean Waves has also been shown a couple of times too.

It's also been shown in the US as well.

Dubs aren't that great. Watch the subbed version, you lazy bunch of non reading heathens.

I'm fine with them, but dubs are the only way most people in the US will watch films.

Fjordson

Ghibli dubs tend to be excellent imo.

I mean I can watch subs fine (I have the Japanese release of Only Yesterday) but I like dubs also.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Gkids has set a New York release date (January 1st, 2016) to commemorate the film's 25th anniversary.

Gkids will expand the distribution of the film to theaters nation-wide on February 26th.

munchie64

Good movie, underrated as far as Ghibli goes so an English dub will be great! This isn't released on blu-ray either right? Hopefully this means that's coming too.

Also Daisy Ridley being in it is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom